Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PJOmega posted:

Really wish I could post exerpts from the L5R LARP guide. Now that is some purestrain wtf.

Look, as far as weird tokenism is concerned, I don't think any issues will be on FFG's part. They're savvy.

Its the players. If anyone in your playgroup starts going "ching chong" or similar please shut them the gently caress down immediately. We tolerate a lot of things in the tabletop scene, and a lot of the things we really really shouldn't tolerate.

Just keep an ear out. If you're posting in this thread I highly doubt you'd ever be the problem.

Really, on the scale of things to get outraged over in board gaming, cultural appropriation ranks below racism and equal representation.

Misogyny/Sexism is still king of the outrage mountain by a huge margin though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I honestly have no problems with that question and answer.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I honestly have no problems with that question and answer.

I thought it was a joke response to a joke question, but as neither you, nor I, identify as a female I would say that makes us disqualified from being able to judge what things a female should or shouldn't be upset over. Obviously some women will see it as a joke and blow it off while others would be genuinely upset that these characters no matter how well developed are still going to be sexualized and objectified based on their artwork.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Did you just assume I don't identify as female? :sludgepal:

Even if was sexual, how is lesbian fantasy offensive for females? Genuinely puzzled. There isn't even any art in that question, it's literally a text question asking about a pillow fight.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm curious if the Thunder-formerly-known-as-Hoturi will have a storyline about her papa always being poo poo to her because he wanted a boy or something (there's your Asian tropes, folks). It does say Hotaru "grew up in her father's shadow" but that sounds like a gender-neutral quest for self identity sort of arc. You know, curious "why" they made the switch. It wasn't "necessary" to give female representation to the Thunders; Kachiko may have had sexuality as a defining trait but that's perfectly acceptable because she was not alone among women Thunders, nor was sexuality the only defining trait of any of them. Hitomi and Kamoko were there representing female stories about sibling love and vengeance from Hitomi and uh I don't really remember Kamoko, Unicorn weren't my thing like Scorpion and Dragon both were, but I'm sure her Clan Wars arc was nice too. I know Kamoko later rode to redeem the Dark Moto, which was cool. Kachiko also had her vengeance angle for her Clan.

I wonder if that art of a bald Dragon clan woman is Hitomi. In the old days she didn't have her famous bald look in her first appearances.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The real question is will Bayushi Yojiro stick to his cross dressing roots? How will his card survive a competent art department?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Did you just assume I don't identify as female? :sludgepal:

Even if was sexual, how is lesbian fantasy offensive for females? Genuinely puzzled. There isn't even any art in that question, it's literally a text question asking about a pillow fight.

It's less the lesbian part of it and more the sexual part. A question put forth by a to indulge his sexual fantasties by seeing two powerful female characters debasing themselves in a way that doesn't serve the great narrative and is out of character for them. When female characters are rewritten to be more objectified and hyper-sexual this is what we call the "Male Gaze": presenting women as objects of male pleasure. So that the sexual depiction of these women would be for men to scratch the male sexual desire that wants to see it. Thus the character of females are always at risk of being placed into scenes where their narrative and characterization are discarded in favor of them fulfilling male fantasy.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zodiac5000 posted:

The real question is will Bayushi Yojiro stick to his cross dressing roots? How will his card survive a competent art department?

Hahaha yes I had forgotten him! They had better keep that!

Also, there is a burning question, one more important than the game's economic engine, or the mechanical differentiation of the clans, or the return of O-Ushi, or cultural appropriation:

TOKU?

I am unreasonably hyped, man. I bet you the Clan Philosophy cards are part of a command pod-style thing where you are guaranteed to have them opening hand. They seem way too special with their watercolor art and "faction definition" concept to be just shuffled into a deck to surface or not at random.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Man, we've all lived through the Toku dark ages. He's too powerful. As a free person that can attach heavy infantry he's just too powerful to be allowed to live in the wild. he has to be kept under lock and key and only released in whatever this new games version of KYD is. which I guess is every set now? I don't do LCGs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm curious if the Thunder-formerly-known-as-Hoturi will have a storyline about her papa always being poo poo to her because he wanted a boy or something (there's your Asian tropes, folks). It does say Hotaru "grew up in her father's shadow" but that sounds like a gender-neutral quest for self identity sort of arc. You know, curious "why" they made the switch. It wasn't "necessary" to give female representation to the Thunders; Kachiko may have had sexuality as a defining trait but that's perfectly acceptable because she was not alone among women Thunders, nor was sexuality the only defining trait of any of them. Hitomi and Kamoko were there representing female stories about sibling love and vengeance from Hitomi and uh I don't really remember Kamoko, Unicorn weren't my thing like Scorpion and Dragon both were, but I'm sure her Clan Wars arc was nice too. I know Kamoko later rode to redeem the Dark Moto, which was cool. Kachiko also had her vengeance angle for her Clan.

I wonder if that art of a bald Dragon clan woman is Hitomi. In the old days she didn't have her famous bald look in her first appearances.

Well, with Kachiko unable to become a mother to the crane's clan champion's child it strongly hints at some major changes going into the Day of Thunder.

Wonder if the Scorpion still have Ambition.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If I played any hobby games competitively I would have playmats/sleeves/custom stuff of the male characters in skimpy clothes with raging boners just to make the loving nerdlords uncomfortable as gently caress. I'm a 6'3" dude with a big beard too btw, which would probably make it even better.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

If I played any hobby games competitively I would have playmats/sleeves/custom stuff of the male characters in skimpy clothes with raging boners just to make the loving nerdlords uncomfortable as gently caress. I'm a 6'3" dude with a big beard too btw, which would probably make it even better.

Been done, always funny as hell.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zodiac5000 posted:

Man, we've all lived through the Toku dark ages. He's too powerful. As a free person that can attach heavy infantry he's just too powerful to be allowed to live in the wild. he has to be kept under lock and key and only released in whatever this new games version of KYD is. which I guess is every set now? I don't do LCGs.

I mean, we've literally seen a Toku mechanical copy in the previews. Ain't all that with the reworked economy and fading system.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LordNat posted:

Been done, always funny as hell.

I would love to read about/see videos of this.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Corbeau posted:

I mean, we've literally seen a Toku mechanical copy in the previews. Ain't all that with the reworked economy and fading system.

Really? Huh. cool. I suppose fading would make him a little less versatile. can't really be bullshit good if you disappear after two or three turns.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

I remember reading an interview with an artist for Magic who talked about her creative process for a card art. I can't remember the name, but it's this longhaired, muscly shirtless beefcake with his pants slung super low with a huge sword over his shoulder and an expression that's a mix between :smug: and :wink:

If I'm remembering right she mentioned something about how women are often sexualized in fantasy art, and that she was doing something similar for the male form.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I remember reading an interview with an artist for Magic who talked about her creative process for a card art. I can't remember the name, but it's this longhaired, muscly shirtless beefcake with his pants slung super low with a huge sword over his shoulder and an expression that's a mix between :smug: and :wink:

If I'm remembering right she mentioned something about how women are often sexualized in fantasy art, and that she was doing something similar for the male form.

Enthralling Victor. I'm straight as a resting arrow but my oh my he can give the vapors.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bottom Liner posted:

I would love to read about/see videos of this.

Same

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bottom Liner posted:

Insert JaceSorinPlaymat.jpg here

But yes, I would approve. Fortunately, the people I play with are reallly chill so there's no need to do anything like that.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

Well, with Kachiko unable to become a mother to the crane's clan champion's child it strongly hints at some major changes going into the Day of Thunder.

Wonder if the Scorpion still have Ambition.

I'm confident the Scorpion Clan Coup will still happen. Look at the faction descriptions: the Crane face famine and war! The Lion are probably going to start that war! The Unicorn may get in on it and are also being teased at school! The Dragon are too busy meditating to make little Dragons! The Phoenix cannot handle the elements any more! The Crab are staring down a huge evil army!

The Scorpion are just peachy. Yes, everything hunky-dory for the Bayushi. Hantei 38 and Shoju and just BFFs <3. Nothing going to go awry here, nope.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PJOmega posted:

Enthralling Victor. I'm straight as a resting arrow but my oh my he can give the vapors.

http://originalmagicart.com/art-in-focus-enthralling-victor-by-winona-nelson/

Yes! There's the article.

quote:

I wanted the guy to be fully aware he’s blowing minds, and is playing it up, but not so crazily sexualized that it makes you feel kind of grossed out from looking at it. I wanted the straight guys looking at it to appreciate the humor, and the folks who are attracted to men to feel utterly captivated by this guy – and everyone to have at least a little of the same reaction that goblin’s having. I was going for “OMG”

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Someone need a new AV?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

I need this playmat in my life.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Unfortunately it takes a lot more than a nude buff guy to make male players uncomfortable in my experience. Usually it's never the form, but the implied homosexuality that does it.

FFG does a pretty good job with their art selection that I don't think any of the pieces will be so sexualized that it would put women off the game.

In the Star Wars LCG is was only a matter of time before they printed custom 'Slave Leia' card sleeves and I feel they went with a pretty low sex version.

Of course I'm hoping that they put her custom art sleeve on a card later:

Neither are what I would call hyper-sexualized, so that's good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I never really wanted to play Dragon before, but their write-up got me wondering if it's possible to make a Hybrid deck that strikes at whatever the opponent's weakness is (political or military).

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
You could, but you'd be limiting yourself to one conflict per turn on both attack and defense.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood what you meant by Hybrid. If you mean balancing both political and military and striking at either opportunistically, that is probably The Ideal tm.

nyxnyxnyx fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 22, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I never really wanted to play Dragon before, but their write-up got me wondering if it's possible to make a Hybrid deck that strikes at whatever the opponent's weakness is (political or military).

Definitely seems like you're going to need to balance political and military skill.

One thing I like about Thrones is that a lot of times you'll have a challenge where you just attack to prevent someone else from using that character to attack you, even though nothing happens in the challenge. Looks like this is going to make sure that something always results from a battle since the defender can win the ring ability, so you might want to declare an element you don't necessarily care and threaten a province as a form of proactive defense, but where as in Thrones this results in a zero sum defense in L5R the defender still gets some boost. Makes the choice of how and where to attack more interesting, and that's already one of the best parts of Thrones.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Defender winning on defense does not claim the ring.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Defender winning on defense does not claim the ring.

Oh drat I misread that. Well then I guess it's more like Thrones, with the caveat that you can shut out a challenge by declaring it without trying to win, which actually sucks.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
You don't get to deny a ring type unless you actually win the conflict and claim that ring too.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Did they mention anything about the whole Daigotsu lineage when they dropped that Shadowlands/Mantis will be coming back? I tried a lot to get in to shadowlands/Oni decks and I never really hit it off. I played a ton of Spider monks/kensai though, so I'll probably be tiding myself over with Dragon until then since equipment seems to be their shtick.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

You don't get to deny a ring type unless you actually win the conflict and claim that ring too.

Obviously my brain decided it was don't processing information correctly when I read that section, and decided to make some poo poo up.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That section suffered some poor phrasing. One part seemed to say, without outright stating, that only attackers claimed rings. Later, the writing implied that defenders (any battle "victor") would too. Sloppy, sloppy. I only figured it out 100% when I noticed the Crab province power that expressly let you have the ring as a winning defender.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Only attacker gets rings. Also unless things changed a lot, you can declare one of each challenge type.

And I seriously doubt any daigotsu/spider stuff makes it in. Iirc that was always one of the more controversial things in the last game.

Also I doubt they'll have space for some of the cooler story based cards and sets. I don't see a KYD equivalent coming out, or cards like regular bayushi shoju which really gave a lot to the feel of the game. I wonder f they'll do other stuff with the setting to flush out the story like board games or picking up the RPG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anywhere with Miskatonic Museum and Essex County Express in stock?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

I don't see a KYD equivalent coming out, or cards like regular bayushi shoju which really gave a lot to the feel of the game.

Of course a KYD equivalent will come out. It'll be the canonical result of the Day of Thunder.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Anywhere with Miskatonic Museum and Essex County Express in stock?

My local store just got more of all three in like a week ago fwiw.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Martell is getting a decent amount of NW hate soon: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/24/oberyns-revenge/

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Scary for NW, for sure. But how many people are main housing Martell right now? Will this be enough to create an actual new counter-meta to NW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New Red Viper is amazing, wish that had been the one we'd gotten in the Core set.