Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
From the outside it looks like Corbyn is holding Labor (and with them the whole opposition to a Tory government) hostage by demanding that stay loyal to the true ideology, even though it's very obvious that that ideology is not supported by a majority in the UK, believing that if they just explain it well enough the people will understand and vote for it.

It's amazing that he would rather have Theresa May and her merry band of Brexiteers govern the country than compromise.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gently caress off nazi

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

GaussianCopula posted:

From the outside it looks like Corbyn is holding Labor (and with them the whole opposition to a Tory government) hostage by demanding that stay loyal to the true ideology, even though it's very obvious that that ideology is not supported by a majority in the UK, believing that if they just explain it well enough the people will understand and vote for it.

It's amazing that he would rather have Theresa May and her merry band of Brexiteers govern the country than compromise.

A dog for each lost world war.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheRat posted:

That has to be some sort of obscure parody

It's the radio station that hired Nigel Farage, Kate Hopkins and Iain Dale. It's no a parody.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Nazi twat, gently caress off.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
It's a shame that Corbyn has some good policies, because without a stance against immigration he's only going to get further away from winning each day. There really needs to be an anti-immigration left wing party to give the left some chance of government.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jeremy Corbyn supports universal employment. Is he secretly a werewolf?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Good news though isn't it?

Of course. Both for being reasonable policies in themselves and for the optics of doing them all on the same day undoubtedly playing very badly with their base. The Telegraph has already pitched a fit about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

It's a shame that Corbyn has some good policies, because without a stance against immigration he's only going to get further away from winning each day. There really needs to be an anti-immigration left wing party to give the left some chance of government.

That would be the BNP.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/855398496366718978

Theresa the control freak.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Something I thought was interesting and hopefully part of a positive trend.

According to a spokesperson from the Electoral Commission the 24 hours after May announced the snap election had over 150,000 people register to vote. This is the largest amount in a single day ever. About 75% of new registrations were under 34 and of these about 58,000 (so a bit over half) were under 25.

While the numbers aren't huge this does suggest that there might be less widespread ennui about the election than some are claiming. The majority being younger voters is a nice change that I hope keeps going.

I've not been able to find anything about this online anywhere (but may just be a bad searcher) so no idea if this surge is continuing. The figures are from last nights The World Tonight - interview starts about 18 minutes in.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Is LBC for real is it actually the UK Onion?

It's a genuinely terrible radio station. Doesn't Katie Hopkins still work there?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

No thanks.

That's not a very good look

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn must stop the boats.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Immigrants are good. Deport conservatives.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

EmptyVessel posted:

According to a spokesperson from the Electoral Commission the 24 hours after May announced the snap election had over 150,000 people register to vote. This is the largest amount in a single day ever. About 75% of new registrations were under 34 and of these about 58,000 (so a bit over half) were under 25.

While the numbers aren't huge this does suggest that there might be less widespread ennui about the election than some are claiming. The majority being younger voters is a nice change that I hope keeps going.

Maybe. On the other hand, a snap rush election would probably lead to a bit more panic-registration from people who would have gotten around to it at some point if they knew well in advance, and also maybe younger people would be more likely to have moved around more and so need to register again. This is just me guessing, though.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

It's a genuinely terrible radio station. Doesn't Katie Hopkins still work there?

I miss when LBC used to be chill.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Immigrants are good. Deport conservatives.

Who would want them?

Guillotine conservatives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can we start a sort of communist international brigade only for tories and the opposite of voluntary.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Who would want them?

Guillotine conservatives.

Deport them... to HELL

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Investigation into Leave EU's finances by the Electoral Commission, tasty timing - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/04/21/now-the-electoral-commission-orders-an-investigation-in-leaveeus-finances/. I wonder how many leave.eu donor's names also appear on Tory donor lists.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Rob Oxley is allegedly the new communications director for May, and looks to be bringing in the vote leave team with him.

Zalakwe posted:

Investigation into Leave EU's finances by the Electoral Commission, tasty timing - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/04/21/now-the-electoral-commission-orders-an-investigation-in-leaveeus-finances/. I wonder how many leave.eu donor's names also appear on Tory donor lists.

Was there ever any crossover between these two organisations?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Angepain posted:

Maybe. On the other hand, a snap rush election would probably lead to a bit more panic-registration from people who would have gotten around to it at some point if they knew well in advance, and also maybe younger people would be more likely to have moved around more and so need to register again. This is just me guessing, though.

Fair point. There is over a month left to register for this election but the announcement may have been a good reminder like you say. This is why I wondered if the trend had continued.

I'm just pleased that younger voters are registering since back in the day I couldn't understand why some of my peers were too apathetic to vote against Thatcher. Was idly wondering if we could repurpose the old chant to "May! May! May! Out! Out! Out!"

More news that might help voters decisions - President of European parliament says "“If the UK, after the election, wants to withdraw [article 50], then the procedure is very clear. If the UK wanted to stay, everybody would be in favour. I would be very happy.” So Article 50 not irreversible and they'd welcome a new governments new position.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Darth Walrus posted:

Was there ever any crossover between these two organisations?

Unfortunately I doubt it, the top brass of the Tory party were wise enough to keep Leave.EU at arms length, however at an activist and donor level there will be loads.

One thing that is worth pointing out is that is the same comms team that came up with £350 million for the NHS, Labour should be bringing that up a lot but I bet the Lib Dems press office will cotton on first.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/855483003019112448

I think our boy jezza has had a good few days

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

EmptyVessel posted:

Something I thought was interesting and hopefully part of a positive trend.

I've not been able to find anything about this online anywhere (but may just be a bad searcher) so no idea if this surge is continuing. The figures are from last nights The World Tonight - interview starts about 18 minutes in.

I think it only being a few weeks away will have a positive affect on younger voters. Less time for them to get bored with it all and forget what day it was on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

Also:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/855477483629457409

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/855387053374283777

Dude's having fun.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TheRat posted:

Tories refusing to pledge on taxes was also exploited by McDonnell, who shamelessly called it a 'Tory tax bombshell'.

It's interesting to note than for the first two days at least, the focus has been on domestic policy rather than Brexit.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

So the only thing JC has to offer businesses is scrapping quarterly tax reporting if turnover is <£83k? Which is already in place under the Conservatives?

Making Tax Digital will come into play if the Conservatives win, forcing all non-incorporated businesses and landlords to report quarterly starting April 2018. If your turnover is below the threshold you get one year deferall but under Tory rule everyone but those who earn less than 10 grand turnover (not profit) will have to report quarterly with only one month to do it.

Corbyn is proposing "Bollocks to it" for those under the VAT threshold indefinitely, as an accounting assistant for many small firms that will be a significant improvement, although it doesn't help those in the 90k turnover range who make just enough to get hit by both barrels. Still, it's a point that'll help those who's main income is pension and just rent out a little on the side or run a business more as a hobby than seriously. And have you sen old people trying to use a computer?

Even accountants don't want it because it makes things harder to fiddle it increases workload significantly and we're already swamped with the auto-enroll pension bollocks that results in a day being wasted because the government default pension site is in short: shite.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zalakwe posted:

One thing that is worth pointing out is that is the same comms team that came up with £350 million for the NHS, Labour should be bringing that up a lot but I bet the Lib Dems press office will cotton on first.

I don't think Leavers actually care about this.

Remainers do as it's an obvious example of the duplicitousness of the Leave campaign.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

the british public supports all of corbyn's policies, they just despise the man himself

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

icantfindaname posted:

the british public supports all of corbyn's policies, they just despise the man himself

Many domestic, very few foreign and defence.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Making Tax Digital will come into play if the Conservatives win, forcing all non-incorporated businesses and landlords to report quarterly starting April 2018. If your turnover is below the threshold you get one year deferall but under Tory rule everyone but those who earn less than 10 grand turnover (not profit) will have to report quarterly with only one month to do it.

Corbyn is proposing "Bollocks to it" for those under the VAT threshold indefinitely, as an accounting assistant for many small firms that will be a significant improvement, although it doesn't help those in the 90k turnover range who make just enough to get hit by both barrels. Still, it's a point that'll help those who's main income is pension and just rent out a little on the side or run a business more as a hobby than seriously. And have you sen old people trying to use a computer?

Even accountants don't want it because it makes things harder to fiddle it increases workload significantly and we're already swamped with the auto-enroll pension bollocks that results in a day being wasted because the government default pension site is in short: shite.

My dad runs his own joinery business (literally just him building stuff in his garage or in people's homes). And trying to explain to him how to upload photos from his phone to his computer, and then from the computer to ebay has been an exercise in god drat frustration :shepicide:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

Many domestic, very few foreign and defence.

Labour should have been smashing the Tories from day one when Redcar steel shut down that it was a massive national defense risk

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Firos posted:

My dad runs his own joinery business (literally just him building stuff in his garage or in people's homes). And trying to explain to him how to upload photos from his phone to his computer, and then from the computer to ebay has been an exercise in god drat frustration :shepicide:

My boss can't figure out how to download an attachment so generally has me or the senior non-partner do it for him :v:

Also, in addition: thing I forgot about MTD. If you're the opposite end of the scale (Partnership with £10 million turnover) you get deferral for 2 years instead of the 1 you get for being below the VAT threshold.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

forkboy84 posted:

I think I may have mentioned it before - I was catching a lift from work early one morning, and my workmate had it on. And whatever presenter they had on there was the Daily Mail incarnate - going off on some rant about forign single sexhaver slut mums stealin are jobs and claiming benefits never ad it in my day when you could call someone a darkie with out the PC EU police and their bendy bananas. Reds. Red and queers everywhere *froth froth froth* (etc etc).

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

If it's early in the morning it was probably Nick Ferrari, famous for being really fat and unpleasant. Or Steve Allen but I think all he does is bitch about celebrities.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chucat posted:

If it's early in the morning it was probably Nick Ferrari, famous for being really fat and unpleasant. Or Steve Allen but I think all he does is bitch about celebrities.

Quickly listening to a clip of Ferrari, and having my teeth instantly start grinding with rage, suggests it was probably him. Thanks.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Is this hope? Fingers crossed Corbyn can maintain this momentum. The Tories have had a pretty piss poor start. Corbyn is wise to avoid Brexit for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
LBC also has James O'Brien, who is good, and Salmond gets airtime as well so I dunno what they're playing at.

• Locked thread