Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Atomizer posted:

What do you mean, "remove and/or put downloads in another location?"
Right, I should clarify. That other extension just removed the download bar, and showed you your downloads in a popover when you clicked on the extension button. A little down-arrow progress bar would fill.

Your downloads still went into your default location or whatever place you chose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Has anyone had the issue where Chrome's color management starts screwing up images to the point where pictures are just masses of black color? Chrome is basically doing an OJ effect:

Yes, but only on videos from Youtube and twitch. Searching for similar issues gets me results with people having the opposite problem: their images are too white / gamma's set too high.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Since yesterday Chrome started downloading swfs instead of playing them in browser.

Any way to stop chrome from doing this?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

crestfallen posted:

Right, I should clarify. That other extension just removed the download bar, and showed you your downloads in a popover when you clicked on the extension button. A little down-arrow progress bar would fill.

Your downloads still went into your default location or whatever place you chose.
I think part of the problem that people are having is, while you may have a specific use in mind, I think people are stuck on "why would you need this" and not what you can use.

My own question, though. Any suggestions for an extension that will help me gather links? I'll tell you what I imagine, you tell me how close I can get to it. I would like to browse a series of pages and maybe center click, maybe hold alt and click, on links. Those links go to a text file, in order. I am simply looking to gather links in order. No post processing, nothing, just gather the links for me, and it has to be links that I click not entire pages (plenty of extensions for this).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zettace posted:

Since yesterday Chrome started downloading swfs instead of playing them in browser.

Any way to stop chrome from doing this?

What's the value of the domain that's serving the SWF in chrome://site-engagement/? If it's below 2, Chrome won't advertise that it supports Flash to that site.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think part of the problem that people are having is, while you may have a specific use in mind, I think people are stuck on "why would you need this" and not what you can use.

I can understand the use case, it's just a way of keeping your screen real estate clear while still having a way to check download progress. Currently, if you close the download bar there's no way to check progress unless you bring up a full extra tab for the downloads page.

It hasn't been a problem for me in forever, if a download would take longer than ten minutes it's usually easier to find a torrent of it, but I can understand the annoyance. Don't have any suggestions though, sorry.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Are anyone else's Google accounts flipping out? I had to re-sign in from scratch on my Chromebook and phone, GMelius is popping up every 10 minutes asking me to sign in, MightyText isn't working, and there's a Google Play Services notification asking me to sign in (I think it's being triggered my MightyText but I can't tell), but even after doing so successfully it doesn't go away. Apparently they just rolled out some new 2FA messages but something is not working correctly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Are anyone else's Google accounts flipping out? I had to re-sign in from scratch on my Chromebook and phone, GMelius is popping up every 10 minutes asking me to sign in, MightyText isn't working, and there's a Google Play Services notification asking me to sign in (I think it's being triggered my MightyText but I can't tell), but even after doing so successfully it doesn't go away. Apparently they just rolled out some new 2FA messages but something is not working correctly.

Yes its happening to a lot of people.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Google made 2FA using a USB 'key' available to everyone, and it seems the upgrade hasn't been as clean as they hoped. ( https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/no-key-no-login-g-suite-admins-can-now-make-fido-security-keys-mandatory/ )

If you ever had anything like that turned on, you might need to redo your setting to get them to update correctly.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I hope Google fixes this poo poo because my phone is all hosed up now and I have no idea what all my stupid passwords and bullshit are. This should be something you set up once and never have to touch again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Number_6 posted:

I hope Google fixes this poo poo because my phone is all hosed up now and I have no idea what all my stupid passwords and bullshit are. This should be something you set up once and never have to touch again.

Assuming they fix the problem ongoing, you're still going to have to sign in.
No, it isn't something you should not have to remember the login for.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Is there any way to disable GIFV autoplay in Chrome?

Chrome grinds to a halt whenever I open a page with numerous GIFVs (which happens frequently in PYF). Everything works fine if I manually stop playback for all GIFVs on the page, but I'd prefer to treat them like embedded videos in the first place.

Googling just leads to an extension which claims to stop HTML5 playback, but does nothing to GIFVs.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gifv is just a video

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Yes, but if they're embedded as vidoes, they don't autoplay.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Not sure what is causing this, but after a restart of Chrome the rendering of my font changed.

Edge on the left, Chrome right.

Tried changing ClearType and numerous other font settings with no fix. Ideas?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
This keeps happening ever since I updated to 57. I've tried removing the hangouts app and reinstalling it, same issue.

Are there any known solutions?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

jisforjosh posted:

Not sure what is causing this, but after a restart of Chrome the rendering of my font changed.

Edge on the left, Chrome right.

Tried changing ClearType and numerous other font settings with no fix. Ideas?

Google updated the Roboto font with a change that breaks font rendering on all Windows platform of Chrome. Yes, you heard me right. Everyone on Windows Chrome now no longer sees the font correctly.
Several issues, including one I entered for this, were closed on their github repo because 'it's an improvement".
https://github.com/google/roboto/issues/244

loving Google.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is the font actually malfunctioning now or does it just kind of suck?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Personally i like the way it looks now, much easier on my eyes for some weird reason.

I do indeed find it kinda amusing seeing so many people on so many different websites getting all flustered over how a font has changed appearances. At work they're were 2 chaps having a good ol' yarn about it in the lunchroom.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I think it looks much better.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Updating fonts is annoying as hell because many people have designed their sites specifically against how they look with that font. The appropriate response is to create a new font and make it the default, so that the old one is still around for those purposes. I agree it looks better, but theres a simple way to reduce unnecessary inconvenience here that they eschewed for no good reason other than spite. So, standard operating procedure.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So how do I reduce font size on chrome because its annoyingly bigger now on SA. I mean I am not crazy font on normal not yospos SA looks weird right?

wargames fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 20, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I need help finding an extension, if it exists. I am looking for something that I can configure so that I can select text, right click it, and have it sent to a URL in a new tab. Much like how you can select anything, right click, and do a Google search. What I want to do is take a Zendesk ticket number, and have the extension put that at the end of a URL I give it, that will open that Zendesk ticket in a new tab.

Does that make sense?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

wargames posted:

So how do I reduce font size on chrome because its annoyingly bigger now on SA. I mean I am not crazy font on normal not yospos SA looks weird right?

There were already a couple of posts about this (and even more in the Technical Thread in QCS). Google made a change to the version of Roboto hosted on Google Fonts that "corrects" an issue with the lowercase letter height so it looks like that now by design. It affects all browsers on all platforms on all sites that use the font. YOSPOS looks the same because it's a different font.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Revol posted:

I need help finding an extension, if it exists. I am looking for something that I can configure so that I can select text, right click it, and have it sent to a URL in a new tab. Much like how you can select anything, right click, and do a Google search. What I want to do is take a Zendesk ticket number, and have the extension put that at the end of a URL I give it, that will open that Zendesk ticket in a new tab.

Does that make sense?

Found what I was looking for: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/context-menu-search/ocpcmghnefmdhljkoiapafejjohldoga

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SilentW posted:

Google updated the Roboto font with a change that breaks font rendering on all Windows platform of Chrome. Yes, you heard me right. Everyone on Windows Chrome now no longer sees the font correctly.
Several issues, including one I entered for this, were closed on their github repo because 'it's an improvement".
https://github.com/google/roboto/issues/244

loving Google.

Is it all Windows Chrome or just Windows 8/10?

My work PC has Windows 7 and the font is still the same.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

jisforjosh posted:

Is it all Windows Chrome or just Windows 8/10?

My work PC has Windows 7 and the font is still the same.

You've still got the old font files cached.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Since the update I've been seeing some blank squares randomly appearing while scrolling down a page, kind of if they were "placeholders" or something while the page is being fully loaded. And to be honest, is kind of bugging me. Is there something I can do to fix it?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/report-google-will-add-an-ad-blocker-to-all-versions-of-chrome-web-browser/

quote:

The Wall Street Journal just dropped a shocker of a report: Google, the biggest Web advertising company in the world, is planning to build an ad blocker into Google Chrome, the world's most popular Web browser. The ad blocker will reportedly end up in the desktop and mobile versions of Chrome and would be switched on by default.

If true, this report suggests a major conflict of interest for Google. Today Chrome covers over 50 percent of the browsing market, according to Net Market Share, and Google would kill its income if it started blocking Google ads. Of course, Google won't block Google ads. Instead, according to the report, Chrome will target "unacceptable ads" as defined by the Coalition for Better Ads. The Coalition for Better Ads, which counts Google and Facebook among its members, has a page of "least preferred ad experiences" up on its website. This page calls out pop-ups, autoplaying video ads with sound, interstitial ads with countdowns, and large "sticky" ads as "below the threshold of consumer acceptability."

This initially came as a surprise to me, but I can see why they would do this. I abandoned mobile Chrome do to the annoying ads I was seeing.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

OhFunny posted:

This initially came as a surprise to me, but I can see why they would do this. I abandoned mobile Chrome do to the annoying ads I was seeing.

Because if they don't have an ad blocker, users will install one, or switch to a different browser with one. By building in their own ad blocker, they get to control it and can pull an ABP and decide to let "acceptable ads" (read: Google's ads) through. Just block the annoying poo poo, which Google's never really served up anyway, and users will more than likely be content with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

biznatchio posted:

Because if they don't have an ad blocker, users will install one, or switch to a different browser with one. By building in their own ad blocker, they get to control it and can pull an ABP and decide to let "acceptable ads" (read: Google's ads) through. Just block the annoying poo poo, which Google's never really served up anyway, and users will more than likely be content with it.

I'm actually OK with this as long as the acceptable ads stay in line with what I consider acceptable. I only block ads because they make the web such a poo poo experience...I don't actually enjoy depriving sites of revenue.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Google will implement ad-blocking (except for their ads) and then disable the functions that allow 3rd party ad blockers in Chrome. At which point, I'll probably just move back to Firefox like I should have a long time ago.

Really, I hope they do implement it so I can giggle from the sidelines as every sleazy ad house cries foul and tries to sue.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Or the EU will claim anti-trust again and Google will start 'asking the tough questions' about who the EU is 'really trying to protect'.

Realistically? Ad- and script-blocking probably aren't going away until Google's ready to kill Chrome extensions altogether.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's probably also a way for Google to charge more from ad companies so they an be whitelisted on Google's adblocker.

B-Nasty posted:

Google will implement ad-blocking (except for their ads) and then disable the functions that allow 3rd party ad blockers in Chrome. At which point, I'll probably just move back to Firefox like I should have a long time ago.

That would an insanely bad idea. What I think Google will do is charge more money from ad companies in exchange for whitelisting them on Google's ad blocker.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Any Acceptable Ads program that doesn't require ads to be pre-vetted or be a static image/video/HTML, and also be hosted entirely in the ad network, is worthless, because malicious ads will get past any heuristic through brute force if nothing else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google and others have made progress at perceptual ad recognition. In other words, instead of blacklisting domains or whatever like all the current ad blocking stuff, software is trained to recognize ads visually/textually. I wonder if that's what Google is looking at doing.

Here's a proof-of-concept experimental extension to go along with this paper.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Version 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit, Windows). Still happens with all extensions disabled (even the stock Docs ones) and all flags reset to default. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

Chrome has been unstable as hell for me lately and I can't for the life of me seem to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with it. It sometimes completely hangs and becomes unresponsive for seemingly no reason at all. Most times this is just for a few seconds here and there, but sometimes it totally hardlocks forcing me to terminate it. Trying to close it normally just brings up the Windows Troubleshooter that sits there indefinitely trying to find the issue. I can end all Chrome processes using Task Manager except for one which refuses to budge. Most times Chrome refuses to open again, and if it does it often crashes again or does weird poo poo like fail to load images. Restarting Windows seems to be the only reliable way to get it going again.

The short hangs happen randomly during normal use, but the hard crashes usually happen if I try to use Chrome soon after waking my computer from sleep (I'd ballpark it having a 30-40% chance of occurring, so it's pretty common). Just now while testing it with the extensions/flags disabled it got real bad and I had to restart three times before I was able to get it up and running again. My router was taking a poo poo at the same time so maybe it's related to internet connectivity?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Could be the graphics driver making GBS threads the bed after sleep, do the problems persist through a real reboot (not Windows' hybernate/FastBoot things)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

sauer kraut posted:

Could be the graphics driver making GBS threads the bed after sleep, do the problems persist through a real reboot (not Windows' hybernate/FastBoot things)

I disabled Fast Startup and now I can't seem to replicate it whether I'm booting, rebooting, or waking from sleep :shrug:. Who the gently caress knows if that actually "fixed" anything though because I could just be getting lucky. Sometimes it won't happen for days on end and then I get a particularly bad one like yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I never use Chrome on mobile because it can't block ads and this built in one sounds like it might block ads but not really because it'll still let some 'acceptable' ones though.

TBH the main reason I don't use Firefox on desktop as well is it still freezes up more often than Chrome and can still take up to a minute to launch on my machine. Though I suppose it would boot as fast as Chrome if it was always running in the background too.