Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kingtheninja posted:

Who is the actor that plays data's dickish first officer in the season five premiere? He looks super familiar.

Not looking him up on Memory Alpha before asking is without honor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
He's such a smarmy little poo poo, too. I love how everything he says just oozes with disdain for data.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Hate to say it, but I agree with him (Not his general racism, but his feelings specifically about Data). Data's complete lack of passion and naivete would make him a terrible captain.

...also his propensity for taking over the ship and harming his fellow crewmembers

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also don't think Data would make a good captain. Executive officer seems like the best role in the command department.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Data is far too willing to let other people drive the car. He has no confidence, he lets others walk all over him and rather than getting angry about it, he tries to figure what he did wrong. He would be an awful authority figure.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He also never got into a knife fight with a Naussican in a bar. 3/10 ensign material at best

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand why Starfleet has that Very Important Entry Exam where, surprise surprise, you need to face your greatest fear in a realistic scenario. Assuming the nature of the exam is kept secret, wouldn't that just weed out the normies (with an entirely understandable 'gently caress this' or 'AAAAAAAAHH' response) and leave only the permanently-traumatised and unrepentant sociopaths?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is it really kept secret?

I know our only POV on it comes from the guy who made himself a legend by doing it multiple times.

Then again, Saavik doesn't appear to know the nature of it either.

I just don't see how it's ever not leaked out in the academy.

Fake edit: actually, JJTrek shows that it's re-written so maybe it changes slightly year-to-year.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

spincube posted:

I still don't understand why Starfleet has that Very Important Entry Exam where, surprise surprise, you need to face your greatest fear in a realistic scenario. Assuming the nature of the exam is kept secret, wouldn't that just weed out the normies (with an entirely understandable 'gently caress this' or 'AAAAAAAAHH' response) and leave only the permanently-traumatised and unrepentant sociopaths?

The Kobayashi Maru seems to be a pretty openly discussed part of academy life.

The point isn't winning, it's to show how you handle losing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thwomp posted:

Is it really kept secret?

I know our only POV on it comes from the guy who made himself a legend by doing it multiple times.

Then again, Saavik doesn't appear to know the nature of it either.

I just don't see how it's ever not leaked out in the academy.

Don't they change it around a bunch so that any given simulation scenario could become the kobayashi maru right at the end?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Nah not Kobayashi Maru - isn't that for those en-route to the captain's chair? - that one Wesley Crusher took where he could only save one person and had to leave another die (because that's how his father died).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every test involves Wesley's dad dying in a fire. Most people just let him die because they don't care.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

spincube posted:

Nah not Kobayashi Maru - isn't that for those en-route to the captain's chair? - that one Wesley Crusher took where he could only save one person and had to leave another die (because that's how his father died).

Oh, right, that one. My B!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

spincube posted:

Didn't Troi have to send Geordi to die in order to pass the bridge officer's exam?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

spincube posted:

for those en-route to the captain's chair?

I think it'd be fun to work for that department of Starfleet Academy that comes up with creative character testing scenarios. Everyone working there has community theater experience and they do roundtables where they throw out ideas on how mess with cadets' heads.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

vermin posted:

I think it'd be fun to work for that department of Starfleet Academy that comes up with creative character testing scenarios. Everyone working there has community theater experience and they do roundtables where they throw out ideas on how mess with cadets' heads.

The most dangerous theater troupe in the galaxy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

vermin posted:

RED SQUAD

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The most dangerous theater troupe in the galaxy.

More dangerous than the one in "The Conscience of the King?"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

spincube posted:

Having Starfleet Academy suddenly become this huge loving Bene Gesserit Jedi training deal is peak Roddenberry-era looniness. Just throw it in with other Season One strangeness like Ferengi energy whips, unisex skants, and Riker's poor reading comprehension.

quote:

RIKER: When the captain suggested you, I looked up your record.
DATA: Yes, sir. A wise procedure, sir, always.
RIKER: Then your rank of Lieutenant Commander is honorary?
DATA: No, sir. Starfleet class of '78. Honours in probability mechanics and exobiology.
:wtc:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Didn't Troi have to send Geordi to die in order to pass the bridge officer's exam?
Yes, which kind of makes sense because that's the hardest possible thing you would have to do as an officer

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

After The War posted:

Having Starfleet Academy suddenly become this huge loving Bene Gesserit Jedi training deal is peak Roddenberry-era looniness. Just throw it in with other Season One strangeness like Ferengi energy whips, unisex skants, and Riker's poor reading comprehension.

:wtc:

I always thought that "class of '78" comment was weird. It wouldn't be referring to a stardate ending in "78" because that'd be like saying "Yeah, I'm class of 10:35 AM" and early TNG took place in the 2360's, so that'd imply Data's been in Starfleet for nearly 90 years, which doesn't mesh up with the timeline.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

CPColin posted:

Not looking him up on Memory Alpha before asking is without honor.

I've literally never used nasal spray without thinking of this guy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

I always thought that "class of '78" comment was weird. It wouldn't be referring to a stardate ending in "78" because that'd be like saying "Yeah, I'm class of 10:35 AM" and early TNG took place in the 2360's, so that'd imply Data's been in Starfleet for nearly 90 years, which doesn't mesh up with the timeline.

Boothby will explain it to you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ah yes, everyone's best friend, boothby.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Kingtheninja posted:

He's such a smarmy little poo poo, too. I love how everything he says just oozes with disdain for data.

I can understand why he would be pissed. The Exec officer of his ship, being usurped as Captain by a Operations track officer from another ship.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

Ah yes, everyone's best friend, boothby.

Well, at least he was my favorite martian.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Kingtheninja posted:

Who is the actor that plays data's dickish first officer in the season five premiere? He looks super familiar.

MISTER HOBSON!!!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Every time I watch darmok I'm reminded how great it is. I mean, I always knew it was great. But great for reasons other than silly phrases.

Edit: like picards awesome jacket.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh geez space hippies and announcer with bad ears on BBC Murica..

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I recently rewatched TNG Preemptive Strike, and holy poo poo does Picard totally gently caress up in handling Ro. She should have been off that mission before she even had to ask.

Timby posted:

Yeah, it was Season 7's Thine Own Self.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kingtheninja posted:

Every time I watch darmok I'm reminded how great it is. I mean, I always knew it was great. But great for reasons other than silly phrases.

Edit: like picards awesome jacket.

It really is a great episode. Stewart's rendition of Gilgamesh could easily sound completely stupid but he absolutely nails it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Boy I hate the 3rd season of TOS.. and BBC 'Murrica is showing them out of sequence just to annoy everyone.

I'd mention the title but pretty sure this will do it:

help me.. kirk

now do the vulcan

only in the DC comics did the excalbians ever get their comeuppance, kinda

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

kaworu posted:

This is absolutely glorious.

I am quite familiar with Shatner's spoken-word style of singing, both from that album and another; he did an earlier album in the '70s with a fantastically dramatic cover of Mr. Tambourine Man that will forever in infamy. I actually think this Pulp cover is pretty drat rockin' and always have since I first heard it years ago.

Here's an oldie but goodie - Henry Rollins talking about hanging out making an album with Shatner and Ben Folds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1R1bNRapcM

Orv
May 4, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Boy I hate the 3rd season of TOS.. and BBC 'Murrica is showing them out of sequence just to annoy everyone.

I'd mention the title but pretty sure this will do it:

help me.. kirk

now do the vulcan

only in the DC comics did the excalbians ever get their comeuppance, kinda

I'm watching it right now too, somehow I'd forgotten that Abraham Lincoln gets into a fist fight with Ghengis Khan, but here we are.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

OK, so I opened the KLINGON CHALLENGE! VCR Board game aaand I have no instructions. Does anyone know where I can find a copy?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pacra posted:

Here's an oldie but goodie - Henry Rollins talking about hanging out making an album with Shatner and Ben Folds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1R1bNRapcM

He did a stop at University of Maryland on that tour, and ragged on the rear end in a top hat student newspaper. One of the most wonderful nights of my undergrad years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Kobayashi Maru seems to be a pretty openly discussed part of academy life.

The point isn't winning, it's to show how you handle losing.
I bet it's only famous as the Kobayashi Maru because of Kirk loving around, or perhaps that having been part of the initial drill draft, because otherwise the obvious way to gently caress with your cadets is have every third or so simulator run involve the KOBAYASHI MARU and then oops turns out it was the SS Brigham Young that crossed into the Neutral Zone to tell the Klingons about Jesus Christ.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zesty posted:

Watch all of TOS. Then read both books.

I listened to a podcast with TOS to get me through it. It's okay.

This is pretty cool. I checked out Face of the Enemy as I liked the episode. Might use this if I start to struggle with TOS. Will start to look to watch TOS and the episode I picked out, I like the Romulan episodes, wish they had that crew member on DS9 I remember hearing about.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Zonko_T.M. posted:

OK, so I opened the KLINGON CHALLENGE! VCR Board game aaand I have no instructions. Does anyone know where I can find a copy?

I just took some pictures of mine. I got you covered.

http://imgur.com/a/GTgAJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

I just took some pictures of mine. I got you covered.

http://imgur.com/a/GTgAJ

I'm not gonna lie, I was expecting a link to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqsL0EqASM