Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I got all the way to ending E without being able to upgrade a single pod.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The upgrade stuff feels really trollish. Like one of the first shops you can access lets you upgrade your pods but you can't even find the materials to upgrade it once until the end of route A and by the time you get the materials to fully upgrade all your pods you pretty much have to do everything else in the game. Like it's just there taunting you the entire game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Dunno i had two pods on second-to-last and one pod on the last level when i got my first ending C/D. Then i collected the stuff for the last two pod upgrades pretty quickly before getting the other ending in that pair.
After that i went on to upgrding the rest of my weapons to lv4.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I upgraded the laser pod to full and just bought the trophy for fully upgrading them all.

I regret nothing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Upgrading is uncharacteristically merciful of a Taro game for the most part with almost everything being buyable for weapons, but Pod stuff is bizarrely gated and compounded by the fact it's never remotely necessary.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The pod upgrades are not noticeable at all far as I could tell, and I only got enough to upgrade A and B once.

The weapons are easier and far more noticeable.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Of course, it might just feel tolerable to me because I'm a broken husk of a person after getting Platinum on the first Nier :shepicide:

As someone who unfortunately resorted to watching Nier Ending C/D on youtube because I refused to go through that weapon grind, I had a lot of fun doing all of Nier's sidequests and upgrading everything. It really, really helps that almost upgrade materials can be bought from various vendors. After doing all the quests, buying materials, and opening as many locked chests as I could find, I only had to grind for one literally one upgrade material, and it didn't take long to get what I needed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The pod upgrades are not noticeable at all far as I could tell, and I only got enough to upgrade A and B once.

The weapons are easier and far more noticeable.

They do some cool things but by the time you get them that high you don't need them. Like the gatling gun adds an explosion when you stop firing, which is neat but you won't get it that far until you're well into path C and by then the last thing you need is to be more powerful.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
http://gematsu.com/2017/04/nier-automata-ps4-shipments-digital-sales-top-500000-japan-asia

Good stuff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah Gatling's upgrades are weird cause they seem like they'd be really powerful but they aren't.

First upgrade makes the first shot bigger and do double damage, second makes it fire a bomb after you've been firing for a certain time, third makes the bomb a cluster bomb if you've been firing even longer. Or you could use your weapons. Or just keep firing. They're basically worthless.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

So... Who actually created Yorha? The machine network seemed to imply that Yorha was a way to evolve how they can fight. I've read from other sources that earth androids. I'm honestly still not sure who originally made Yorha in rhe first place.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 21, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

So... Who actually created Yorha? The machine network seemed to imply that Yorha was a way to evolve how they can fight. I've read from other sources that earth androids. I'm honestly still not sure who originally made Yorha in rhe first place.

The androids did.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Snak posted:

The androids did.

Alright, so why did they put a backdoor in ther system that allowed the machine network to completely destroy everything? Didn't the machine network explicitly say at some point that they always need an enemy to fight? I took this to mean that Yorha is just a way to have an enemy that keeps fighting over and over, and constantly improves both sides. When Yorha gets to a tipping point, they just wipe the slate clean and use the data to create a more formidable enemy to improve themselves upon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Alright, so why did they put a backdoor in ther system that allowed the machine network to completely destroy everything? Didn't the machine network explicitly say at some point that they always need an enemy to fight? I took this to mean that Yorha is just a way to have an enemy that keeps fighting over and over, and constantly improves both sides. When Yorha gets to a tipping point, they just wipe the slate clean and use the data to create a more formidable enemy to improve themselves upon.

Have you beat the game yet? Yorha is just a sham and there is no backdoor. Yorha were created because the androids were built to protect mankind and without mankind they all started feeling hopeless and depressed. Yorha were created to create a lie that mankind was still alive and well on the moon and then once that lie was set, they were programmed to all go insane and die so the secret would forever be protected.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of the thematic links I like that's present between the original Nier and this one is that both feature things created that were supposed to be mindless shells and in both the plan s get hosed when the shells end up having awareness. In Nier the souls get separated from the bodies and everyone assumes the shells will just be shells but that doesn't happen and ends up killing mankind. In this robot cores are used to create fake androids because they don't want to create real androids who are meant to die, but the robots turn out to have just as much consciousness as the androids. Both just operate on this idea that you shouldn't base your assumptions on the idea that another being, even if you created it, doesn't have a soul

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

What I was really confused by was why the androids would also want to be stuck in an endless war. But if they win the war, then the lie of humans surviving comes to light, seeing as no-one will be coming down from the moon.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Have you beat the game yet? Yorha is just a sham and there is no backdoor. Yorha were created because the androids were built to protect mankind and without mankind they all started feeling hopeless and depressed. Yorha were created to create a lie that mankind was still alive and well on the moon and then once that lie was set, they were programmed to all go insane and die so the secret would forever be protected.

I've taken Yorha to be a thing that is constantly being destroyed and rebuilt. Whether this means new bunkers were being made over and over, I'm not sure though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

What I was really confused by was why the androids would also want to be stuck in an endless war. But if they win the war, then the lie of humans surviving comes to light, seeing as no-one will be coming down from the moon.

I've taken Yorha to be a thing that is constantly being destroyed and rebuilt. Whether this means new bunkers were being made over and over, I'm not sure though.

To your first point, the androids can't win the war and at this point I think they know it. The only reason they're alive is because the robots allow them to be and I think the higher ups know this.

As with Yorha, it's been going on for awhile but in the game you are seeing the end of the program. The bunker is gone for good and all the Yorha units are supposed to stay dead.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

No. The generation before YoRHa was A2's unit which was specifically the prototype run for Project YoRHa. YoRHa is very much new.

To be specific the stage play took place 4 years before the story of the game so that's around the maximum time it could've existed

Nina fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 21, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Going back to get some of the joke endings, I noticed in Route A that Eve allowing himself to die was immediately followed by machines trying to "BECOME AS GODS" by killing themselves. I guess Eve kickstarted an evolution of machine AI by teaching the system what death meant?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Araganzar posted:

This was over and everyone had moved on. You could have just let it go, but I guess you just wanted to say something ugly and try to hurt someone who annoyed you.

Your supposition is that something has been lost - a stream of consciousness has been snuffed out. But is that material or illusory? To know that, one must determine the differences between copy and original. I won't push it further, but I was asking for you to define that difference.
I'm sorry I was rude to you. :(

I don't agree with your second paragraph, though. It feels like argument for argument's sake. We've moved beyond the philosophising of 500+ years ago, we know an incredible amount more about how the brain works. If you believe in a soul or a mind/body dualism... I don't know what to say.
More power to you.

Having said that, if we're talking about NieR, we still know the answers to your questions. We know that when an android dies it's dead, the black box no longer functions. You retrieve the body for chips. Backed up states can be applied to new android bodies. That's the whole reason 2B is upset at 9S dying, and in the more extreme case vice versa.

But I really don't see us seeing eye to eye on this, so you've got your perspective and I've got mine. Both as valid as they can be.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

I'm sorry I was rude to you. :(
Having said that, if we're talking about NieR, we still know the answers to your questions. We know that when an android dies it's dead, the black box no longer functions. You retrieve the body for chips. Backed up states can be applied to new android bodies. That's the whole reason 2B is upset at 9S dying, and in the more extreme case vice versa.

Yeah I would agree with that perspective. This is made pretty clear (okay it's made clear mainly through infodumps) in the game. We also don't have to agree on whether or not a loss is illusory to agree that it can hurt. We can logically recognize something isn't real and emotionally it can still hurt like hell.

We're basically on the most classical two sides of the mind-body question so it's good to be able to agree on something. I think it's very easy to misunderstand each other talking about the "soul" both in our world and in a fictional one where in the previous game you had an explicit separation of brain and soul. Thanks for being cool about it. :cheers:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
ok but has anyone considered the scenario where you get cloned, but then your clone changes their name, religion and look, moves away and ultimately becomes much more successful and popular, but nobody really considers them 'you' anymore, but 'original you' just falls apart completely. Later on a bunch of people claim to be 'you' but really have only a very tenuous claim there, and then your clone is overrun by Turks?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
No, but it's been well-established that even if a copy of your boss is made from a blown-up combat medic who's only connections to the original are embedded pieces of his bones and teeth, he's still your boss.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Araganzar posted:

No, but it's been well-established that even if a copy of your boss is made from a blown-up combat medic who's only connections to the original are embedded pieces of his bones and teeth, he's still your boss.

Ugh, I guess that means it's not a paid vacation after all...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is Emil just a cameo or does he show up later or what

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

So is Emil just a cameo or does he show up later or what

you meet him when heading to the forest zone for the first time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

you meet him when heading to the forest zone for the first time.

Yeah but then what, am on B

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but then what, am on B

he has a shop and has a one or two quests i think

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Iretep posted:

he has a shop and has a one or two quests i think

It's like I'm pulling teeth here man
Where

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well he moves, but you can't miss him.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He drives around in the city ruins, you first find him at the entrance to the desert zone after you fight the first major boss in the forest zone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It's like I'm pulling teeth here man
Where

He's the guy driving the city ruins around blaring loud obvious music

People weren't answering clearly because it's hard to see how you could've missed him

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Snak posted:

Well he moves, but you can't miss him.

Yeah it's actually pretty weird that you managed to avoid him entirely throughout Route A. He is loud.

One of his quests also starts after you find a certain flower growing in the mall ruins. I forget the exact point when that becomes available, but either way you need to find his little puttering shop truck and talk with him there afterwards to start it in earnest.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
He's literally got a map icon once you've met him once.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Well I absolutely managed to miss him entirely through my first playthrough
So as soon as I beat what'sherface in the forest I can go look for him in the main area right

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah. He shows up randomly but not infrequently, driving around one of three (I think) areas in the main City Ruins zone for a while each time. Shoot his truck with your pod and he'll stop and talk, as well as sell you stuff. What he has in stock depends on which of his routes he's on at the moment.

I would say you'll probably run into him about as often just playing through the game as you would deliberately searching for him, but I guess not if he managed not to cross your path at all during Route A. He only shows up in the City Ruins, not the desert or flooded city etc. Listen for his shop theme song - if you hear a sprightly little march that sounds like it's blaring over a lovely megaphone, he's nearby.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 22, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I... I can't believe how much trouble I'm having finding him. Beat A2, warped back to desert entrance and am finding nothing. Ran around city ruins and nothing

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I... I can't believe how much trouble I'm having finding him. Beat A2, warped back to desert entrance and am finding nothing. Ran around city ruins and nothing

Progress story just a little bit more and he will show.
I just did the same part as you, and its not right after the A2 encounter, but like 1-2 more steps later when he spawns(think it was when objective updated to "return to resistance camp" he spawned for me).

He will show on the map as a moving icon in the city ruins once unlocked, no need to run around and look in person to know.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Choyi posted:

Progress story just a little bit more and he will show.
I just did the same part as you, and its not right after the A2 encounter, but like 1-2 more steps later when he spawns(think it was when objective updated to "return to resistance camp" he spawned for me).

He will show on the map as a moving icon in the city ruins once unlocked, no need to run around and look in person to know.

Yeah, after A2 you go to Pascal to tell him about her THEN Emil pops up.

I don't know why I'm doing all the sidequests I can now because I still think playing as 9S is absolute misery and I just want to see what's next after him (hopefully 2B again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, after A2 you go to Pascal to tell him about her THEN Emil pops up.

I don't know why I'm doing all the sidequests I can now because I still think playing as 9S is absolute misery and I just want to see what's next after him (hopefully 2B again)

Sides are good but imo 9S's run is better done doing the story and beating that karate dude in one hit with hacking