Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If BotW climbing ruins Horizon exploration I wonder if Nier:A's story would kind of make Horizon's pale by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The music change in King Knight's stage is great :allears:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

If BotW climbing ruins Horizon exploration I wonder if Nier:A's story would kind of make Horizon's pale by comparison.

I'll find out when I get to Horizon in 2018.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a fun little thing for folks in this thread: Link To The Past Randomizer Racing!

It's Legend of Zelda:LTTP, but every single item from chests, NPCs, and other in-world pickups(I.E. not drops, but things like the tablets and loose heart pieces apply) are scrambled based on a seed. So pulling the Master Sword out of its pedestal can result in a bundle of arrows instead, and Sahasrala can give you the Magic Mirror instead of the running boots. A boss can drop the Titan Glove instead of a heart piece, and the chests in Thief's House in Kakariko Village can have the Tier 4 Sword, Ice/Fire Rods, and Mirror Shield, if you're insanely lucky, etc.

It's good fun, just set the videos to 1.25 speed and watch'em go!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdoWICJMgPKWjUs15zg9irHWFHcouiFKU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nate RFB posted:

It doesn't and it doesn't.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

They're totally different kinds of stories so no. Nier:A barely touches on the world that came before the one they're living about now and instead deals with themes of consciousness and what it means to be alive. Horizon's focus is on actually understanding what happened in the past and how that information can be used against the current threat that has risen up as a result of that long lost past. It's also much more interested in exploring the actual culture of the world that does exist than Nier is, as well as being a character story about an unwanted girl trying to find her place in the world (they could have done more with the last aspect admittedly).

Sometimes, multiple things can be good. 2017 has been an amazing year and a lot of really great games have come out in it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like I had the opposite reaction to Zelda. I'm done with open world poo poo for a while and want a more directed experience. No more climbing please. The stupid cat controlling exactly when I can and can't go to sleep in Persona 5 is fine by me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mutata posted:

Horizon is written like solid if occasionally formulaic YA lit and I like it.

It's definitely better than Mirrors Edge 2 which is written like really terrible YA lit

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Regy Rusty posted:

They're totally different kinds of stories so no. Nier:A barely touches on the world that came before the one they're living about now and instead deals with themes of consciousness and what it means to be alive. Horizon's focus is on actually understanding what happened in the past and how that information can be used against the current threat that has risen up as a result of that long lost past. It's also much more interested in exploring the actual culture of the world that does exist than Nier is, as well as being a character story about an unwanted girl trying to find her place in the world (they could have done more with the last aspect admittedly).

Sometimes, multiple things can be good. 2017 has been an amazing year and a lot of really great games have come out in it.

This has been my experience this year. Lots of good games, lots of fun times. Nioh, Horizon, Zelda, and Nier:A coming out within less than 2 months was intense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Regy Rusty posted:

If you aren't constantly categorizing everything in some zero-sum hierarchy in accordance with maintaining solid goon cred, then I question your commitment to this forum.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A two worlds II expansion pack was announced today and is releasing in may. 2017 rolls on to be the GREATEST gaming year EVER

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every new year is the greatest year for gaming because it brings more games to the world on top of the ones that already exist!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just beat Spector of Torment. Really good. It's amazing they release something like this for free if you already own Shovel Knight. It's pretty much it's own game (though it felt quite a bit faster).

The final fight was loving awesome

My only real complaint is that it often felt like the level design was at odds with Spector Knight's moveset. Clockwork Tower was probably the most egregious example (I died 16 times on that level according to the end credits). I feel like that could've used a tiny bit more work to really get right, but besides that it was really fun. And even with that complaint it was still quite fun dashing around in the air.

The story was cool too. It was also neat the way they changed the music to still be similar but also different. King Knight's stage is especially cool because instead of this villainous vibe it has feeling of an actual royal castle before it was taken over. Infact it's still under constructions to be converted into King Knight's castle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm trying to finish Trails in the Sky: SC before 3rd comes out in, uh, not very long. So far I'm about half an hour in... :/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can do it

e: if you play it like a full time job for the next two weeks I mean

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 21, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Macaluso posted:

Just beat Spector of Torment. Really good. It's amazing they release something like this for free if you already own Shovel Knight. It's pretty much it's own game (though it felt quite a bit faster).

The final fight was loving awesome

My only real complaint is that it often felt like the level design was at odds with Spector Knight's moveset. Clockwork Tower was probably the most egregious example (I died 16 times on that level according to the end credits). I feel like that could've used a tiny bit more work to really get right, but besides that it was really fun. And even with that complaint it was still quite fun dashing around in the air.

The story was cool too. It was also neat the way they changed the music to still be similar but also different. King Knight's stage is especially cool because instead of this villainous vibe it has feeling of an actual royal castle before it was taken over. Infact it's still under constructions to be converted into King Knight's castle.

I didn't have too much trouble with platforming but every time the game uses an enemy to trick you into falling into a pit or jump into spikes I fell for it.

The new boss patterns were cool but they all felt too easy with Specter Knight's strong moveset.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm trying to finish Trails in the Sky: SC before 3rd comes out in, uh, not very long. So far I'm about half an hour in... :/

It took me 56 hours with a 100% FAQ, you should have plenty of time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

target has a bunch of mario kart themed things going on like kart decals for their carriages. and when you walk in the store it plays the 3 2 1 go jingle and can i just say. it rules

Target inexplicably making Domo-kun their Halloween mascot in 2008 was the greatest thing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

A two worlds II expansion pack was announced today and is releasing in may. 2017 rolls on to be the GREATEST gaming year EVER

I cannot even w/ 2017

CANNOT EVEN

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Persona 4 journal:

Made it to the top of the 1st dungeon with noooo SP left so I warped out of there (you can warp back to the 8th floor right in front of the boss when you come back). Scraped through the mid-boss by the skin of my teeth- at my level after one hit with no buffs I would be at like 5% HP and it would randomly also choose to poison people which did just as much damage and poisoned at the same time. I'll come back later before the Fog thing happens and give the boss a shot.

I have no clue how I should be spending my Anime High School free time so I'm just sorta doing whatever right now and kinda favoring things that build up the Social Links. Seems like an element of replayability will come from what you choose to build up in each playthrough.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The first big boss is pretty tough, make sure you make a persona that resists fire in some capacity.

As for anime high school free time, you get a slight but not insignificant bonus to social Link progression if you have a persona in you that matches the activity you want to do, i.e. Strength if you want to do the sports club, Chariot if you want to hang out with Chie. Sometimes that's what I used to determine what activity to do.

But you'll want to prioritize hanging out with your party members because they gain new combat perks

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 21, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As you might imagine "how do I spend my S. Link time :supaburn:" comes up constantly when it comes to P4. It honestly doesn't really matter, everyone has their preferences and you have to be at peace with not being able to max everyone. I came to like doing party members (because, well, they're your crew and they get combat bonuses), Hermit for SP restoration, Justice/Hierophant for story reasons, Tower for Yoshitsune (the most OP persona in the game), and Temperance/Sun/Strength/Devil for social stat boosting. Everything else was kind of superfluous and I'd be OK with just outright skipping them on my first playthrough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of anime I just now got recommended "Kirsten Dunst "Turning Japanese"" on youtube. Directed by McG. I was all ready to post it here because, ha ha, but it's more gross and stupid than funny. And it's only 2 years old. I don't know why it exists, is Kirsten Dunst that broke or did she really think it was a good idea or...

i have way too many questions for this early in the morning, i'm gonna listen to this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9iIzvm02XY

e: "and he loosened up his collar, and I said Floyd..." [PAUSE] "...get a rope" oh my godddddd I forgot how good this song is

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That WWII Call of Duty has been confirmed apparently

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
are you a bad enough company to shoot the nazi

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

They called the second world war WWII.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Help Im Alive posted:

That WWII Call of Duty has been confirmed apparently

And the circle is complete

Edit: or will be, once it comes out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

speaking of anime I just now got recommended "Kirsten Dunst "Turning Japanese"" on youtube. Directed by McG. I was all ready to post it here because, ha ha, but it's more gross and stupid than funny. And it's only 2 years old. I don't know why it exists, is Kirsten Dunst that broke or did she really think it was a good idea or...

I went and looked for it. It's definitely not funny. I think it was supposed to be mocking Akihabara or otaku/weeb culture but it's so weird that honestly I don't know.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

battlefield: we're doing world war one

call of duty, louder: world war TWO for me please

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Loading up random roms sometimes comes up with cool results, because I just found Energy Breaker, a Super Famicom only RPG that was made by the Lufia/Rune Factory people and has artwork by the Trigun artist. It also uses Tactics Ogre style battles while letting you explore the map like a typical RPG and got a translation patch in 2012.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's definitely great and not dumb that satanic panic eventually/inadvertently deprived american gamers of like hundreds of great SNES JRPGs

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Battlefield One somehow got red dot sights for the ww1 guns so I wonder if the next CoD will go crazy on prototypes too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

it's definitely great and not dumb that satanic panic eventually/inadvertently deprived american gamers of like hundreds of great SNES JRPGs

i thought it was because that translation and localization resources were still in their infancy so it wasn't cost effective to release stuff internationally

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

battlefield: we're doing world war one

call of duty, louder: world war TWO for me please

Reality: Hold my beer

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

precision posted:

Should've lived in a PAL country. Then you wouldn't even know what a JRPG is and as such wouldn't be as upset.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

Reality: Hold my beer

Sony is finally going to use all those networked PS2s to launch a nuke over Korea so that they can call dibs on the WW3 IP.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i thought it was because that translation and localization resources were still in their infancy so it wasn't cost effective to release stuff internationally

In this specific instance this game came out in 96 over there, I doubt it ever had a chance of going anywhere else just because of time.

Also the carts were absurdly expensive because RPGs had a ton of text and pretty graphics so they needed a bunch of space and translation cost a bunch.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wonder if they're returning to WW2 now that the world is more accepting of a German campaign.

I still miss Enemy Territory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icNsZmFrNOc

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 21, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Kinda disappointed it's not Advance Warfare 2. I wanted to fight MechaSpacey.

Maybe this one will have you fighting Hitler in a QTE on top of a nuclear missile heading to the US????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's good fun, just set the videos to 1.25 speed

You monster.

• Locked thread