Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

bkerlee posted:

Loook at all you bastards forgetting Rock and Roll Racing.

Finally someone said it; I was going to have to because my brother and I spent many hours in that game. Got to the point where he, and sometimes I, could pivot, shoot missiles at the other, halfway across the track, and hit them. Good for getting back in the race if behind, and for a curbstomp if ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

General Morden posted:

why does the controller cost $70

It's a 60 dollar controller with a 10 dollar NFC reader.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Will the New Nintendo Switch XL even come iwth a power brick or will they expect you to use one from the n64 or something

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Will the New Nintendo Switch XL even come iwth a power brick or will they expect you to use one from the n64 or something

there will not be a switch xl

also, it will have two bricks

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've used the pro controller once since I got it. It's not worth it unless you do all of your gaming docked.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've used the pro controller once since I got it. It's not worth it unless you do all of your gaming docked.

I mean....yeah that's super obvious right?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone know if the switch charges joycons while the system is turned off via holding the power button down? this sounds like a dumb question but let me explain, i turn my switch off instead of standby and i put the joycons on switch overnight, i assumed this was charging because i havent had to stop and charge for awhile. they cut out last night, both of them. did the same thing, power off system, joycons attached to recharge and i go to play just now and my joycons are still extremely low with my right con completely dead.

do these joycons have insane amount of playtime or are they now dying and dead forever. because if it's never charged when powered down then i have no idea how they haven't done this already since launch week.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sounds like they don't then. Why not just leave your Switch in sleep mode? It doesn't seem to be designed to be turned off often.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyone know if the switch charges joycons while the system is turned off via holding the power button down? this sounds like a dumb question but let me explain, i turn my switch off instead of standby and i put the joycons on switch overnight, i assumed this was charging because i havent had to stop and charge for awhile. they cut out last night, both of them. did the same thing, power off system, joycons attached to recharge and i go to play just now and my joycons are still extremely low with my right con completely dead.

do these joycons have insane amount of playtime or are they now dying and dead forever. because if it's never charged when powered down then i have no idea how they haven't done this already since launch week.

It doesn't charge when it's powered off. The joycons last drat near forever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Switch doesn't even remain off if you have it docked. It automatically goes into standby mode.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

parallelodad posted:

The Switch doesn't even remain off if you have it docked. It automatically goes into standby mode.

i've been turning it off while docked the past few nights and then attaching joycons after. if its turning on when i dock it even while powered off then i think thats how its been charging when i come home from work and redock it and i haven't noticed. hmm mystery solved i guess! thanks guys.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So is there going to be anything new/worthwhile in Ultra Street Fighter 2 or is Capcom just hoping Switch users haven't heard of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD? I remember reading the dev team for this game is made up of young and old Capcom employees but don't see how that would impact anything when it looks like they just ported an Xbox Live arcade game, added 2 palette swap characters, and a 1st person mode that will rarely get played. I don't understand how why a game I paid $15 for on the 360 years ago is being released as a new $40 game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pro life tip: don't buy Capcom games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bring it to work sometimes just to change things up. It's fun to have options. Switch is cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Switch Pro will be a handheld the size of an Xbone. It's not portable as it will have three USB C ports and at all times it must be plugged in to the two included power adapters plus a third you need to buy or already have.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The Switch Pro will be a handheld the size of an Xbone. It's not portable as it will have three USB C ports and at all times it must be plugged in to the two included power adapters plus a third you need to buy or already have.

This is stupid.

It'll come with NO Power Bricks cause they dont fit in the new packaging

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Switch Pro will be the same as the Switch but with expansions on all side so you can stack and merge more Switches into a mega Switch. Some games will require multiple Switches to run properly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
1. Road Rash 2
2. Rock'n'Roll Racing
3. Chrono Trigger (race against Johnny)
4. Knights of the old republic (Pod race)
5. Majora's Mask (Goron race)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

why'd you buy a controller for your handheld anyway

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Dear Nintendo,

I would like to buy neon joy-cons.

:saddowns:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like the pro controller even though I play the switch in handheld more than not.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I finally got my Switch home menu to have enough software that I can scroll over and choose to view an all software menu, that's pretty neat.

Does anyone mind giving me a little nudge as to where I'm supposed to go in Wonder Boy after becoming a mouse? I went left from the village and eventually found a heart upgrade but that was it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the pro controller even though I play the switch in handheld more than not.

Same. I love the handheld aspect because I can plug away at Zelda while I'm watching something on TV that doesn't require a lot of attention. But when I play it on the TV, pro controller is the way to go.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mario Kart and the pro controller are made for one another.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did they fix the problem that you cant use the pro controller on everything so if something doesn't support it you can't even go back to the home menu?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Norns posted:

To use on a system that doesn't even support analog triggers? Okay guy.

I also use my controllers on my PC so not having them sucks. Also, I'm curious as to how ports of Sunshine would work if that sort of thing ever happens.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

s.i.r.e. posted:

I also use my controllers on my PC so not having them sucks. Also, I'm curious as to how ports of Sunshine would work if that sort of thing ever happens.

The accelerometers provide like six additional analog axes you know

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

grand theft grotto posted:

I finally got my Switch home menu to have enough software that I can scroll over and choose to view an all software menu, that's pretty neat.

Does anyone mind giving me a little nudge as to where I'm supposed to go in Wonder Boy after becoming a mouse? I went left from the village and eventually found a heart upgrade but that was it.

Keep going left until you can't go left anymore. and then go up one screen

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What's the difference between analog and digital triggers?

Digital triggers are just on/off buttons. analog triggers allow input based on change in pressure - so think like a gas/brake pedal in a racing game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The accelerometers provide like six additional analog axes you know

sunshine with tilt control water pressure would be hilarious just to hear the complaints

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean the important thing to be able to do is to make a separate aim mode, like when you had the trigger locked all the way down in the Gamecube game, and that can be accomplished by just making that a separate trigger button (since the GC only had Z, L, & R). It wouldn't hurt much to just make the spray be full blast at all times.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Keep going left until you can't go left anymore. and then go up one screen

Oh, I guess I went a different way too early or something. Thanks!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

I mean the important thing to be able to do is to make a separate aim mode, like when you had the trigger locked all the way down in the Gamecube game, and that can be accomplished by just making that a separate trigger button (since the GC only had Z, L, & R). It wouldn't hurt much to just make the spray be full blast at all times.

They could release a pack-in squirt gun controller that'd work for splatoon as well

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

parallelodad posted:

The main problem I have with joycons is they are a little TOO clicky and loud, to the point it bothers my wife if I'm playing on the couch while she wants to watch something.

sever

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also, I'm curious as to how ports of Sunshine would work if that sort of thing ever happens.

i wouldnt worry about it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bill Barber posted:

The joycons connect physically, not wirelessly, when attached to the Switch. Check the physical connection port on both the left joycon (at the very bottom of the black slider rail, underneath the overhang) and on the Switch (and the very bottom of the slider channel) to make sure they're not obstructed by foreign particles.

I ended up figuring it out. My right joycon was not completely docked, even though it was clicked in and working. Left one was actually working fine. I had to press that sync button on the right joycon and then resync by docking it for some reason.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Others have commented how the dock isn't really any more expensive than it's laptop equivalent (USB C & HDMI) so I decided to look for myself. $60 is the low end, they get even crazier from there. So yeah Nintendo is actually being at least no more or less lovely than everyone else on that front.

Edit: Sorta the same with the USB-C power bricks. I'm surprised, though you can find some of those for around $20.

Unrelated I really want FFXIV on this thing now that I'm playing it again. Also all games should come with a glider :colbert:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 21, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Invalid Validation posted:

Did they fix the problem that you cant use the pro controller on everything so if something doesn't support it you can't even go back to the home menu?

This happened to me with the Snipperclips demo... I would literally sell my joycons and just use the pro controller, but the fact that things like that happen and I couldn't even use the pro controller to go through the system setup means it's probably a really bad idea not knowing if any future system updates are going to make me use the joycons. I'm literally never going to use the joycons except in these really dumb situations.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Most of the games that I own on Switch are digital. This isn't even intentional. I keep going to game stores to buy cartridges, but there's none! NONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I honestly cannot believe nobody mentioned the greatest racing game of all time, Unirally.

• Locked thread