Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm level 24 and a couple levels into the bank. What's a good persona I should fuse (and what skills) for finishing this palace? Having some trouble with the group of mini bosses. I'm still relying on Shiisa from the 2nd palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scorps posted:

Is this also a list of all the mementos? I'm actually like over half done which is great then since I thought people were complaining about them and how much of a slog they are. I will probably only need like 2 trips to finish them now, I do agree that they get really tedious just doing the exact same thing though.

Nah, thats like a third of the quests. Definitely less than half. Nearly every confidant past July has their final ranks gated by a memento quest too.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Harrow posted:

Kawakami's link is the best and everyone who reassured me that her non-romantic ending was suitably heartwarming was right. I loved her suddenly switching into Serious Teacher Mode and worrying about Joker's diet and study habits. Though I think the most satisfying part of the whole thing was the little scene at school where the students all talk about how much Kawakami has changed and some of them talk about going to her for advice and how they look up to her. That part was really satisfying and good

She still worries about that poo poo even when she's your lover, and students still say terrific things about her. Being your lover is a bit of a bonus for her and you know what? She deserves a decent relationship after having to skirt the lines of prostitution laws just to apologize to some really lovely parents for something that was never her fault.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

She still worries about that poo poo even when she's your lover, and students still say terrific things about her. Being your lover is a bit of a bonus for her and you know what? She deserves a decent relationship after having to skirt the lines of prostitution laws just to apologize to some really lovely parents for something that was never her fault.

Oh yeah, I assumed that the school part and her worrying would be the case in both romantic and non-romantic paths. I was just hoping that the non-romantic path would be satisfying since Joker's dating Makoto, and I was glad that it was.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah I think Mementos is what like 60-70 floors total when Tartarus was like 15-20 a section and were much bigger slogs in general.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pastrymancy posted:

They should add a jukebox option for mementos exploring

I don't get why this was removed. It made Tartarus way better to have sweet-rear end remixes of Persona 1 and 2 tracks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Now she just has to skirt the lines of child sexual exploitation laws instead.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LuiCypher posted:

She's into some kinky stuff too so there's also that. :pervert:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
aaaand that's a platinum. That last fight was a nightmare of Miss->Recarm events. At least it wasn't so brutally luck/time-based as Elizabeth. Now to await emulation so I can play SMT4 without crippling my hands/neck on a handheld for a stupid number of hours.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I love this game I'm on the 4th Palace I'm happy to say this is GOTY for me at this moment.

Finally a JRPG I actually like whenever I get my head around mechanics they switch them up a bit.

I will admit that I cheat on all the school questions and exams though because I'm a stupid goon

And the Airsoft Guy and Clinc girl are my favourite characters and have the most badass shop themes

VoLaTiLe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 21, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Airsoft Shop music from an older SMT title? It feels familiar.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Aw yeah, Yoshitsune with Debilitate. :black101: And I didn't even have to be an anti-social no-Christmas having jerk this time!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

I will admit that I cheat on all the school questions and exams though because I'm a stupid goon

Eh, they built in the network thing. Hardly counts as cheating. (Especially for the ones about Japanese--there's no way I would've known any of those on my own.)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

multijoe posted:

Now she just has to skirt the lines of child sexual exploitation laws instead.

If you think Kawakami is skirting the lines of being as much a villain as Kamoshida and Kaneshiro, then whatever.

We could get into the semantic details about the whole scenario, but ultimately this: the Persona 3-5 series are ultimately RPGs that are also wish fulfillment fantasies. As Joker is more or less your avatar do you, as an adult human being, think Kawakami/Ohya/Chihaya/Takemi are cool enough women to date? If you do, that's cool - you can make them your waifus.

If you don't - and this is going to come as a shocker - then that's cool too. You can make them your friendos.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Joker himself is also sexy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel bad for the girls and wish I could date them all because look at their other options:

idiot
cat
artsexual
mishima

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

If you think Kawakami is skirting the lines of being as much a villain as Kamoshida and Kaneshiro, then whatever.

I don't think anyone said that. You can think a high school teacher dating her student is bad while also thinking that a high school teacher/coach physically, emotionally, and sexually abusing his students is worse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

I feel bad for the girls and wish I could date them all because look at their other options:

idiot
cat
artsexual
mishima

They probably have other friends

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol if you think characters have a life before they meet with the protagonist in video games

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I They only need that one option

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a plot point that they don't.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LuiCypher posted:

I They only need that one option

Agreed. Yusuke has a innate predisposition to JoJo pose I mean what more do you really want in a pretty artboy?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Saint Freak posted:

Makotowned

Captain Oblivious posted:

Agreed. Yusuke has a innate predisposition to JoJo pose I mean what more do you really want in a pretty artboy?

That scene in the church is pretty amazing.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Plus an appreciation for lobsters and Ginryu Force poses? I'm sold.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is the Airsoft Shop music from an older SMT title? It feels familiar.

It feels very much like a mainline SMT song, yeah.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

PirateBob posted:

I'm level 24 and a couple levels into the bank. What's a good persona I should fuse (and what skills) for finishing this palace? Having some trouble with the group of mini bosses. I'm still relying on Shiisa from the 2nd palace.

It was at this point that I discovered Shiki Ouji and exploited the gently caress out of him for the rest of the game... until Siegfried.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

idiot
cat
artsexual
mishima

lol if you think plenty of people wouldn't date their cat if it was an option

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Though it's worth noting that if you hang out with Ryuji on Valentine's Day, he mentions that Yusuke has someone to spend Valentine's Day with, so clearly someone knows people outside the Phantom Thieves.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Though it's worth noting that if you hang out with Ryuji on Valentine's Day, he mentions that Yusuke has someone to spend Valentine's Day with, so clearly someone knows people outside the Phantom Thieves.

Actually from the dialog it sounds like he got a hookup on valentine's day itself and you can tell Ryuji that Yusuke is a pretty enough boy for that to happen

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

LuiCypher posted:

We could get into the semantic details about the whole scenario, but ultimately this: the Persona 3-5 series are ultimately RPGs that are also wish fulfillment fantasies. As Joker is more or less your avatar do you, as an adult human being, think Kawakami/Ohya/Chihaya/Takemi are cool enough women to date? If you do, that's cool - you can make them your waifus.

If you don't - and this is going to come as a shocker - then that's cool too. You can make them your friendos.

I think it's a split on the perception of the MC. Do you view the MC as a stand-in for you or is he his own distinct character that you are just making decisions for like in most other games? If you view the MC as your stand-in then it's going to be whatever but if he's a distinct entity then all the adult relationships look real gross and skeevy. And they would be if they happened in real life but these pixels aren't going to be traumatized no matter what you do.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Harrow posted:

I'm curious: what did everyone name Joker?

At this point I generally name my Persona protagonists after previous Persona or SMT characters, which is how my Joker became a distant relative of the Kuzunoha clan.

Albert Einstein, so the teachers always sound sarcastic when they call on you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nobody would be defending the teacher romance with such fervor if the MC was a girl and the teacher was a guy, let's not kid ourselves here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

All the adult relationships in this game would make lot more sense if you and your crew were all college students instead of high schoolers

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Used the Electric Chair and Yurlungur to make Makoto a gun that gives +5 to Magic.

'tis a beautiful thing.

You should try that with Michael.

Harrow posted:

The next Persona should swing to the other side of the spectrum and have the main characters be cops and eventually their informants who go into the collective unconscious to solve unsolvable crimes. Set it far enough in the future and Makoto can be a playable character again (though they don't seem interested in repeat party members post-Persona 2). Her social link could involve going to her apartment where her unseen husband makes the two of you coffee and curry while you stay up late going over evidence so there can be a bunch of Reddit posts who are like "is her husband supposed to be Joker???" like they're the only one who thought of that

Considering that Chie and Akihiko also planned to become cops, you already have a Main Three for this cast idea.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zhaan posted:

You should try that with Michael.

Judge of the Dead is pretty sick, I wish I knew how to get Haru's ultimate gun

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How does Japan view relations between, let's say, high school seniors and teachers? Is it illegal? Is it taboo? I don't know much about who Japan says is and is not OK to date.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zhaan posted:

Considering that Chie and Akihiko also planned to become cops, you already have a Main Three for this cast idea.

Hell yeah. Chie's the older mentor who's been on the force a couple years, Akihiko's the tough but fair chief who works as the navigator character until the real navigator joins and he gets to leave his desk job and go punch things like he's always wanted to.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Two funny things:

1) The way Morgana talks poo poo if you use the tips and tricks from the game guide

2) Chihiya has absolutely nothing special to say when you ask her to read her own affinity toward you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spikeguy posted:

How does Japan view relations between, let's say, high school seniors and teachers? Is it illegal? Is it taboo? I don't know much about who Japan says is and is not OK to date.

If anime has taught me anything, high schoolers can marry (with parental consent?) and can marry their teacher legally, but on the other hand the teacher would probably be fired before it got to that point.

e: it is not guaranteed that anime has taught me anything, however

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spikeguy posted:

It is as frowned upon as it would be in the United States