Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So that fan comic using all the plugs would have doomed the world huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SystemLogoff posted:

So that fan comic using all the plugs would have doomed the world huh?

Even ignoring the guest comic, this spell is proving really powerful. Love how much use we are getting out of the gag.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Nightmare-side, then?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Regy Rusty posted:

Ooooooooooooooooooh

They're like portals that all lead to the same place

All that water's gotta go somewhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What I love most about these latest developments is that over the last chapter it started to feel like we were really unravelling many of the mysteries behind the scenes. Learning about Nightmare Knight's motivation for instance and how his creations rely on his power of fear to keep existing. There were still questions like the truth about the Dream Oracle's role in all this but we were starting to have a bit of a grasp on what was going on here.

But the existence of Steve just throws absolutely everything off and we realize this is so much deeper than we knew.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The pain of the drain comes mainly from the plot.

Fake Edit Oh God they're literal plot holes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you aren't reading Steve like Patrick Warburton then I dont wanna know you

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Jokes on you, I read him like Norio Wakamoto.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

And Besty is voiced by Christopher McCulloch, making them the fantasy version of Brock Sampson and Hank Venture.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

What I love most about these latest developments is that over the last chapter it started to feel like we were really unravelling many of the mysteries behind the scenes. Learning about Nightmare Knight's motivation for instance and how his creations rely on his power of fear to keep existing. There were still questions like the truth about the Dream Oracle's role in all this but we were starting to have a bit of a grasp on what was going on here.

But the existence of Steve just throws absolutely everything off and we realize this is so much deeper than we knew.

It looks to me like Steve and NK are part of the same person that got split somehow.

I'm gonna guess Steve has all the actual evil. He's too friendly to not.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
GAME OVER

RETURN OF STEVE

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Nightmare Knight has a hidden lower face, a broad upper body and tiny legs, and affects an air of intimidation while being unwilling to hurt people. Steve has a hidden upper face, a skinny body with big weird Gumby Legs, and is outwardly fiendly while possibly being a psycho. Checks out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Steve could totally pull off the terrible popped collar that Nightmare Knight had in his earlier designs.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
One new page.

Oops.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good guys don't get locked away in the bathtub drain dimension

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That crooked grin on Steve is so great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am tremendously excited to see where this goes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was wondering who the antagonist was gonna be after all those plot developments. I think this page just answered that question. :ohdear:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I was wondering who the antagonist was gonna be after all those plot developments. I think this page just answered that question. :ohdear:
Yeah, an action plot needs an antagonist, that's just screenwriting 101.

If you're making a movie about how the dragons attacking your village are just misunderstood and we can totally get along with them, you need to end it with a big action climax in which you totally kill the poo poo out of the actually evil dragon commanding them.

Writing a twilight parody / zombie genre subversion in which the zombies retain human characteristics? Best include some zombier-zombies that the protagonists can dispatch as casually as zombies in a proper Romero flick.

And obviously what Cucumber Quest needs is an actually malign version of the Nightmare Knight. Duh.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 1, 2017

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I like what Gigi did with his silhouette. The spikey bits seem to give him more of a dangerous feeling, without NK's hugely imposing shape. With the big guy, it feels like you have to pay attention to him. This is more a case of "It would be a really bad idea to take your eyes off of him.".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, an action plot needs an antagonist, that's just screenwriting 101.

If you're making a movie about how the dragons attacking your village are just misunderstood and we can totally get along with them, you need to end it with a big action climax in which you totally kill the poo poo out of the actually evil dragon commanding them.

Writing a twilight parody / zombie genre subversion in which the zombies retain human characteristics? Best include some zombier-zombies that the protagonists can dispatch as casually as zombies in a proper Romero flick.

And obviously what Cucumber Quest needs is an actually malign version of the Nightmare Knight. Duh.

I understand where you're coming from, but I 'm willing to give the artist the benefit of the doubt here.

I've had several concerns over how Gigi D.G. would handle certain situations in this comic. In particular: Rosemaster as a transgendered villain, Almond as a character who continually makes things worse for everybody, and most recently, Cucumber being magically made to crossdress.

However, in each case things were handled remarkably tactfully and were quite well resolved. Rosemaster's identity is in no way conflated with her status as an antagonist. Almond is called out on her behavior, actually recognizes the extent to which she damaged things, resolves to do better, and repairs her relationship with her brother afterwards. Cucumber being made to crossdress is not only not treated as a joke--the characters don't even recognized that it could be a joke.

Given all this, and the general trajectory of the comic, I extremely doubt the comic has introduced Steve simply as a prop for the heroes to remorselessly kill.

Steve is an aspect of the Nightmare Knight that he has apparently cut from himself and then hidden in a hole. The problem he represents can't be resolved with sword.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The true conflict of CuQu will be that Steve... doesn't like baking.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Peridot can't eat all NK's stuff, she'd go Peridoughy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Update!

Steve and Besty are extremely cute and I am quite hyped to see them run roughshod over the world and all it's people.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They're sweet, but on the other hand Besty's literally Steve's puppet and their emotional dynamic is only a touch short of creepy.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Update!
More NK baking :3:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Speaking of the dynamic between the so-called villains...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This world domination stuff is hard on the psyche okay :(

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
yesyesyesyesyeyes

this is extrememly poo poo

the last loving panels are sooooo gooooood

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

We don't even know why catmom wants to rule the world.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wouldn't you

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

WarpedNaba posted:

We don't even know why catmom wants to rule the world.

Diplomatic immunity from the space cops

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Tollymain posted:

wouldn't you

I can't rule so much as my lower intestine.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Until she starts pulling guitars out of heads, I think the jury's gonna be out on that one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I have it on good authority that the space cops take you to space court where Judge Space presides. The sentence: Space.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Heaven help anyone answering to Captain Murphy for violations of Martian law.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

"Most people make that mistake" :lol: he's just giving up all pretence of being a villain now, isn't he?

I guess Steve is going to be the real antagonist

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Suaimhneas posted:

"Most people make that mistake" :lol: he's just giving up all pretence of being a villain now, isn't he?

I guess Steve is going to be the real antagonist

Don't forget Glitchmaster.

Everything else aside though, the real source of conflict is this situation where NK doesn't want to hurt anyone but he has to scare the hell out of Dreamside or else his kids die. Come to think of it, Besty seems like the person most suited to resolving that; if he ever actually figures out how to scare people he can just immortalize NK in horror movies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like Cordelia's freaking out face.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New pages.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I may need a new title with the new best NN quote