Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Magic Defense literally does nothing in Final Fantasy 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm a bigger fan of the Blind status in 6. Not only does it do almost nothing, the only thing it does do makes literally zero sense.

In case you didn't know, it doesn't lower your accuracy (enemy Evade being broken just like your Evade may be responsible for this, I don't know) but it does prevent Strago from learning Lores if he's blinded at the end of a battle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm a bigger fan of the Blind status in 6. Not only does it do almost nothing, the only thing it does do makes literally zero sense.

In case you didn't know, it doesn't lower your accuracy (enemy Evade being broken just like your Evade may be responsible for this, I don't know) but it does prevent Strago from learning Lores if he's blinded at the end of a battle.

May be wrong on this, but from what I remember, Blind is so useless that even if you fix evasion to work properly Blind itself still won't work.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It works perfectly fine as the "give me rad sunglasses" ailment.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hey, that makes sense. Strago has to SEE the ability being used to learn how to do it, and he can't see it if he's blind.

seiferguy posted:

You're only allowed 2 relics per character? :confused:

They were proposing Atma Weapon + Offering + HP boosting accessory as an alternative to Genji Glove+offering.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

May be wrong on this, but from what I remember, Blind is so useless that even if you fix evasion to work properly Blind itself still won't work.
I would not be even slightly surprised.

(But they totally are rad sunglasses.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't remember, was it a myth or can you actually one-shot Kefka's final form by Throwing the Illumina at him?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well hey they made up for it in FFXV by making blind incurable.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Barudak posted:

:smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

goddamn

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I can't remember, was it a myth or can you actually one-shot Kefka's final form by Throwing the Illumina at him?

I'm pretty sure that's a myth.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Barudak posted:

:captainpop:

wait

no

EDIT: :coal:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Barudak posted:

u will be ashamed of your words and deeds when Ignis' DLC arrives.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vargatron posted:

The PC version of FF6 is often maligned, but has a retranslated script while retaining the SNES soundtrack. The sprites are a bit stretched at high resolutions but otherwise I was fine with the port.

The only upside to the PC version is that it apparently has the GBA version's ROM inside of it so sooner or later someone will make a conversion mod to replace the lovely mobile graphics with the SNES/GBA sprites while retaining things like Cyan's SwdTch setup being a bit less idiotic.

seiferguy posted:

You're only allowed 2 relics per character? :confused:

Offering + Muscle Belt is two accessories. Nothing will survive 9999x8 damage from the Atma Weapon hits after you cast Quick and attack twice. 16 hits against Kefka (or any other enemy) is unnecessary.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vargatron posted:

I've had nephews play Final Fantasy 7 and complain because the game looked like garbage. I die a little inside and just whisper to myself "you had to be there when this came out...".

That sucks but it's understandable. FFVII had great art direction but is in a very weird spot when it comes down to technology, and the blocky models don't help its case. 8 looks miles ahead and 6 is just gorgeous in comparison, and even they might look outdated to someone used to modern graphics.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Still does literally nothing to detriment your team!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Still does literally nothing to detriment your team!

Well, it does, but not as much as Gladio does.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/855816134271971328

Bravely Second has officially sold 700K worldwide, which is a step down from BD's 1 million+ number but is still pretty darn good for the game, especially when they reused as many assets as they did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/855816134271971328

Bravely Second has officially sold 700K worldwide, which is a step down from BD's 1 million+ number but is still pretty darn good for the game, especially when they reused as many assets as they did.

Does that count Bravely Second and For The Sequel combined?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think they made it clear, but the breakdown for Bravely Default was 400K JPN and 600K Others, which means that by any account the majority of the sales would be the game with the For The Sequel improvements.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do you guys think Tidus is supposed to be dumb and/or a jerk, at least at the start of the game? He's no Cloud or Squall in terms of being sullen, and he isn't actively going out of his way to antagonize people, but I'm revisiting the T40s and TDI LP of X and that temple part is really dickish.

He's told to come to the temple to learn about how to defeat Sin and a nice old priest starts talking to him. Tidus explains he doesn't know anything and the priest goes over Summoning and the Yevon religion.

Tidus: So what he meant...was that we should respect some kinda great men or something like that...

T40s Tidus: I wasn't really paying attention, I was thinking about Blitzball. (might as well been what he said)

And then later on, driving this point home about how aggressively clueless he is:

Tidus: And here I was, thinking summoners were all old geezers."

There's literally a statue of a hot chick in the temple. There's nothing whatsoever that suggested summoners were old guys

He wasn't listening to the priest, he wasn't looking around the temple, he was like, listening to the carnival music in his head. This strikes me as just being an rear end in a top hat, although in a deceptively cheery way.

Imagine if Bugenhagen had finished his Lifestream lecture and Cloud was like "so what he meant was we should care about the planet or something because it's full of dead people."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the early temple stuff shows that tidus has no innate reverence to yevon and what's 'supposed' to happen with sin and the summoners and all that just because people say they do/that he should

and later on that lets him be the one to say gently caress that when he finally founds out what would happen to yuna

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

He wasn't listening to the priest, he wasn't looking around the temple, he was like, listening to the carnival music in his head. This strikes me as just being an rear end in a top hat, although in a deceptively cheery way.

Guy washed up on the shore that morning, met a Jamaican footballer, murdered some fish with him, and is now in a magical temple he's never seen before, full of poo poo to Look At and he's probably struggling to keep up with the dozen brand new concepts dropped onto him after escaping death twice in as many days at the hands of an enormous demon whale.

Give the guy a break, religion's boring anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vargatron posted:

You can cheese the final boss in FF4, by not using magic attacks. His AI script retaliates against magic and it's like most of his damage potential.

Wait, really? Because as a kid, he'd one-shot Rydia with his first Big Bang and the only magic I would cast was Cure 4. Does Throw count as casting? I was fairly underleveled--I never learned Meteo, but high enough to beat every optional boss except for Tiamat since I never found the secret path--and I still only finished the game by eventually only having Cecil and Rosa left alive and having Rosa cure and Cecil attack :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Guy washed up on the shore that morning, met a Jamaican footballer, murdered some fish with him, and is now in a magical temple he's never seen before, full of poo poo to Look At and he's probably struggling to keep up with the dozen brand new concepts dropped onto him after escaping death twice in as many days at the hands of an enormous demon whale.

Give the guy a break, religion's boring anyway.

Also he's a famous sports star from a really modern future city and now he's been literally thrown into hyper religious country bumpkin town so of course he's gonna come across as crass and irreverent. He's got no context to how the average Spira lives their lives, so he can come across as crude even though he's actually a pretty nice guy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

met a Jamaican footballer

wakka wasn't jamaican, it was the localization team's attempt to make a polynesian character but missing the nuance so they went with the closest thing they recognized

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He should have just straight up had Bender's voice

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

He should have just straight up had Bender's voice

Where's the mod that replaces Wakka's dialogue with Bender's

If it doesn't exist yet what the gently caress is wrong with humanity

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Where's the mod that replaces Wakka's dialogue with Bender's

If it doesn't exist yet what the gently caress is wrong with humanity

because humanity simply hasn't found someone who is simultaneously familiar enough with crowdfunding to raise the amount required but also scrupulous and trustworthy enough to handle the money to hire john dimaggio to do it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 23, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

because humanity simply hasn't found someone who is simultaneously familiar enough with crowdfunding to raise the amount required but also scrupulous and trustworthy enough to handle the money to hire john dimaggio to do it

It should be a stretch goal for the official release of Tidus Fantasy X.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I assume they just mean replacing all of Wakka's dialogue with random vaguly-appropriate Bender quotes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh, i was thinking all of wakka's lines in bender's voice. "al behds! can't trust 'em! *belch*"

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I was thinking more along the lines of Smiling Jack.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At least Marcus Feenix uses the same voice as Fry's dad. "Emergence holes every where cause of y2k."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you guys think Tidus is supposed to be dumb and/or a jerk, at least at the start of the game? He's no Cloud or Squall in terms of being sullen, and he isn't actively going out of his way to antagonize people, but I'm revisiting the T40s and TDI LP of X and that temple part is really dickish.

He's told to come to the temple to learn about how to defeat Sin and a nice old priest starts talking to him. Tidus explains he doesn't know anything and the priest goes over Summoning and the Yevon religion.

Tidus: So what he meant...was that we should respect some kinda great men or something like that...

T40s Tidus: I wasn't really paying attention, I was thinking about Blitzball. (might as well been what he said)

And then later on, driving this point home about how aggressively clueless he is:

Tidus: And here I was, thinking summoners were all old geezers."

There's literally a statue of a hot chick in the temple. There's nothing whatsoever that suggested summoners were old guys

Imagine if Bugenhagen had finished his Lifestream lecture and Cloud was like "so what he meant was we should care about the planet or something because it's full of dead people."

No, it would have also been perfectly fine if he said "I wasn't really paying attention, I was thinking about Blitzball." This is what any teenager would think about getting told about a weird boring religion. He was definitely not a jerk because he didn't even say anything out loud. He was respectfully staying silent while the priests droned on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have a complete save for FF13 and FF13-2? I've already played them on the PS3 but I want to play LR without having to go through that poo poo again.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

some guy on the bus posted:

No, it would have also been perfectly fine if he said "I wasn't really paying attention, I was thinking about Blitzball." This is what any teenager would think about getting told about a weird boring religion. He was definitely not a jerk because he didn't even say anything out loud. He was respectfully staying silent while the priests droned on.

He was self-centered and a bit arrogant, which is exactly what you'd expect a young sports star to be like. His characterization at that point was really well done given the situation he was in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone have a complete save for FF13 and FF13-2? I've already played them on the PS3 but I want to play LR without having to go through that poo poo again.

You don't need a complete save for the bonus costumes, just a save at all I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

having any save at all unlocks the stuff, plus it's not so good you need it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You don't need a complete save for the bonus costumes, just a save at all I think.

Oh okay.