Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PT6A posted:

Regarding inappropriateness: I heard someone say "oh poo poo!" on 126.7 today while giving a position report, and it made me giggle because I know I've at least thought it if I've not said it.
Related question: is there a US equivalent to what 126.7 is in Canada (air-to-air frequency for traffic advisory in uncontrolled airspace)?

CTAF - Common Traffic Advisory Frequency

It varies from place to place but should be denoted on the sectionals.

Obligatory somewhat related, "YERRRRR AHN GUEEERRRRRD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SeaborneClink posted:

CTAF - Common Traffic Advisory Frequency

It varies from place to place but should be denoted on the sectionals.

Obligatory somewhat related, "YERRRRR AHN GUEEERRRRRD"

I always thought that was the US equivalent of 123.2 -- the frequency we monitor while operating at uncontrolled aerodromes if no other is specified. Am I mistaken, or would the CTAF be used for both enroute traffic advisories and uncontrolled aerodrome operations?

It's fascinating seeing the differences between the US and Canada. I've heard that in the US you can be cleared to land in sequence, for example, and US pilots get nervous about only getting cleared to land on short final here (after the preceding aircraft is clear of the runway). That seems weird to me; is it true?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PT6A posted:

I always thought that was the US equivalent of 123.2 -- the frequency we monitor while operating at uncontrolled aerodromes if no other is specified. Am I mistaken, or would the CTAF be used for both enroute traffic advisories and uncontrolled aerodrome operations?

It's fascinating seeing the differences between the US and Canada. I've heard that in the US you can be cleared to land in sequence, for example, and US pilots get nervous about only getting cleared to land on short final here (after the preceding aircraft is clear of the runway). That seems weird to me; is it true?

Specifically, to answer the letter of your question: 122.75 and 122.85? is Air to Air, however I don't think you'll find many monitoring that. You're bound to find more people on the CTAF talking about their lunch plans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SeaborneClink posted:

Specifically, to answer the letter of your question: 122.75 and 122.85? is Air to Air, however I don't think you'll find many monitoring that. You're bound to find more people on the CTAF talking about their lunch plans.

Huh, interesting. 122.75 is the air-to-air frequency we monitor specifically in the local practice area.

126.7 is moderately casual, we don't discuss lunch plans (often) but there's plenty of chatter beyond simple position reports if we think we recognise someone's voice :v:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Despite my best efforts, it looks like I'm not cut out for a level 12 radar facility. The next NEST panel is in June, then I'll find out what my future holds!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

Despite my best efforts, it looks like I'm not cut out for a level 12 radar facility. The next NEST panel is in June, then I'll find out what my future holds!

Sorry dude. I'd put even odds on it not being your abilities, though. gently caress New York, is what I'm trying to say.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Sorry dude. I'd put even odds on it not being your abilities, though.

Thanks

MrYenko posted:

gently caress New York, is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, definitely this

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's a loong ways away (still waiting on medical to call me after two months) but it sounds like they give you a few options on completing the academy or say "too bad, you're going here."
Wonder what I might end up with. Hopefully I'm given a choice.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

It's a loong ways away (still waiting on medical to call me after two months) but it sounds like they give you a few options on completing the academy or say "too bad, you're going here."
Wonder what I might end up with. Hopefully I'm given a choice.

When I went through about 18 months ago each class was given one slot per person who passed the evals. I heard from some of the newer trainees at work that there were up to 3 slots per person. Oh well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Sorry dude. I'd put even odds on it not being your abilities, though. gently caress New York, is what I'm trying to say.

So I assume the controllers figured out that the ludicrous bonuses wouldn't make up for the lost overtime of getting people checked out?

Hopefully you'll get some good options t_b_b. Is lower level center an option with that kind of stuff or is it almost always terminal options?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

So I assume the controllers figured out that the ludicrous bonuses wouldn't make up for the lost overtime of getting people checked out?

Hopefully you'll get some good options t_b_b. Is lower level center an option with that kind of stuff or is it almost always terminal options?

The bonuses are for the tracon only, not ZNY. I'm not sure exactly what my options are going to be but I'm almost certain it'll be terminal.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

two_beer_bishes posted:

The bonuses are for the tracon only, not ZNY. I'm not sure exactly what my options are going to be but I'm almost certain it'll be terminal.

When you get your options post them here for input. Not all level 5-7 towers are the same.

Sorry about NY being NY.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Let's say your airport is landing on runway 10. At the other end of the airport is a taxiway with a runway 28 approach hold short marking. Do you need specifically need to say "Cross runway 28 approach" for a taxi clearance that crosses the hold short? Or is that line only there to let pilots know where to hold short when given a clearance to do so?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think I misread initially, but approach hold markings don't require a clearance to cross. ATC is supposed to issue instructions to hold at the markings when it is necessary. Otherwise, you hold at the normal holdshort line closer to the runway.

You're asking about these guys?

AIM 4-3-18 a. 8.

quote:

8. If a pilot is expected to hold short of a runway
approach (“APPCH”) area or ILS holding position
(see FIG 2−3−15, Taxiways Located in Runway
Approach Area), ATC will issue instructions.

7110.65W 3-7-5 a.

quote:

a. ILS critical area dimensions are described in
FAA Order 6750.16, Siting Criteria for Instrument
Landing Systems. Aircraft and vehicle access to the
ILS critical area must be controlled to ensure the
integrity of ILS course signals whenever conditions
are less than reported ceiling 800 feet or visibility less
than 2 miles. Do not authorize vehicles/aircraft to
operate in or over the critical area, except as specified
in subparagraph a1, whenever an arriving aircraft is
inside the ILS outer marker (OM) or the fix used in
lieu of the OM unless the arriving aircraft has
reported the runway in sight or is circling to land on
another runway.

PHRASEOLOGY−
HOLD SHORT OF (runway) ILS CRITICAL AREA.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2017

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

KodiakRS posted:

Let's say your airport is landing on runway 10. At the other end of the airport is a taxiway with a runway 28 approach hold short marking. Do you need specifically need to say "Cross runway 28 approach" for a taxi clearance that crosses the hold short? Or is that line only there to let pilots know where to hold short when given a clearance to do so?

Ferret King is right on as ever. Just like with ILS critical areas, unless you're specifically instructed to hold short of an approach area you can proceed through.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

It's completely on the controller to be aware the ILS critical area needs to be protected. If the controller doesn't say to do it, then it isn't on you if something happens if it needed to be protected.

With that said, look both ways.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just had an interesting conversation with a coworker, and I was hoping to get ya'lls take on this, since I know we have a couple people that have transferred, and at least one that is in the process.

We're stupidly short-staffed. Like, my area is running routine 2:45 plugins with fifteen minute breaks, six day work weeks, etc. it's bad. To try to alleviate it, the last six CPC transfers that have come to the facility were all assigned to my area, on the theory that they'd be quick certifications. (Lolnope)

Now, I totally get that for the couple people from level 12s, they have no financial motivation to get certified, and that taking their time is in every way the easy way, but I heard from several people on the far end of the week that the supervisors on that end will allow them to not train when they don't feel like it. I pulled the training reports for the area, and found that I have two CPC-ITs with less than five hours of training per week for several weeks in a row.

Am I wrong for being loving livid about this? I kinda feel like transferring to a new facility as a CPC, you definitely aren't treated like a developmental, but you're still a trainee, and your first priority should be certification.

(As an aside, one of the CPC-ITs in question came damned close to setting a record for time to certification; Dude is good. The other five, not so much.)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are they certified on anything and therefore being used for staffing since you guys are so short? Because that's insanely hosed up if true and I'd find a way to elevate that without making it obvious it's you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Are they certified on anything and therefore being used for staffing since you guys are so short? Because that's insanely hosed up if true and I'd find a way to elevate that without making it obvious it's you.

Ya, they all have at least a pair of R-sides at this point. Part of the problem is the sups on that end of the week being of the opinion that breaking training is the very first response to any kind of staffing issue at all, up to and including "hey, I haven't had a break in forty minutes, I should break training, put a CIC in charge, and disappear for an hour."

I brought it up to my OM, but I don't see it changing, due to the aforementioned supervisors all having one foot out the door.

:(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Ya, they all have at least a pair of R-sides at this point. Part of the problem is the sups on that end of the week being of the opinion that breaking training is the very first response to any kind of staffing issue at all, up to and including "hey, I haven't had a break in forty minutes, I should break training, put a CIC in charge, and disappear for an hour."

I brought it up to my OM, but I don't see it changing, due to the aforementioned supervisors all having one foot out the door.

:(

I asked the flm on duty tonight what would be the best option in this sort of scenario without sticking your neck out and all he could come up with was ATSAP.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

Ferret King is right on as ever. Just like with ILS critical areas, unless you're specifically instructed to hold short of an approach area you can proceed through.

That's what we figured. It's just weird to go cruising past a hold short line without clearance. I wonder why they didn't paint them with the same markings as the ILS critical areas.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

That's what we figured. It's just weird to go cruising past a hold short line without clearance. I wonder why they didn't paint them with the same markings as the ILS critical areas.

Can you tell me where it is so I can see a picture on google maps?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Ord, taxiway Y north east bound. You cross the 28C approach hold short first then cross the ILS hold short for 28C/10C.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Ord, taxiway Y north east bound. You cross the 28C approach hold short first then cross the ILS hold short for 28C/10C.

Cool, I think we're on the same page. I made some graphics for folks following along. It seems so weird to blow through what look like normal hold short markings, but ATC must tell you specifically when to hold short so I suppose it all works out.

7110.65W 3-7-2 i.

quote:

i. Issue instructions to aircraft/vehicle to hold
short of an approach hold area.

PHRASEOLOGY
HOLD SHORT OF (runway) APPROACH

Taxi your happy-rear end straight through the blue and green boxes unless otherwise told by ATC. If you get deviated tell them a guy with a ferret avatar on the internet said it was ok.

ILS Hold Bars (These seem different enough for clarity)

Runway Approach Hold Bars

Runway Hold Bars

Not exactly the clearest way to mark two very different things. But nowadays, taxi instructions don't have implied runway crossing clearances in the absence of hold short instructions. Used to be, ATC could omit hold short instructions on a taxi clearance and a pilot could happily cross any runway along their taxi route to/from parking. The guidance changed several years back requiring ATC to issue specific crossing OR hold short instructions for every runway crossed along a taxi route. Pilot guidance in the AIM still mentions the old way, I believe, but you should never hear a taxi clearance from ATC that takes you accross a runway without hearing either 1) An instruction to cross it, or 2) an instruction to hold short.

Sorry for the pixelated garbage. I am bad with computers and I don't know how to churn out high quality image edits.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 22, 2017

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TFK, as much as I love your want to help, he'd be better off asking the controllers that work there how to cross their stuff. Regardless if they are right or wrong.

MrYenko posted:

Just had an interesting conversation with a coworker, and I was hoping to get ya'lls take on this, since I know we have a couple people that have transferred, and at least one that is in the process.

We're stupidly short-staffed. Like, my area is running routine 2:45 plugins with fifteen minute breaks, six day work weeks, etc. it's bad. To try to alleviate it, the last six CPC transfers that have come to the facility were all assigned to my area, on the theory that they'd be quick certifications. (Lolnope)

Now, I totally get that for the couple people from level 12s, they have no financial motivation to get certified, and that taking their time is in every way the easy way, but I heard from several people on the far end of the week that the supervisors on that end will allow them to not train when they don't feel like it. I pulled the training reports for the area, and found that I have two CPC-ITs with less than five hours of training per week for several weeks in a row.

Am I wrong for being loving livid about this? I kinda feel like transferring to a new facility as a CPC, you definitely aren't treated like a developmental, but you're still a trainee, and your first priority should be certification.

(As an aside, one of the CPC-ITs in question came damned close to setting a record for time to certification; Dude is good. The other five, not so much.)

They are already CPCs. What loving incentive do they have to get checked out and board the staffing-abuse-train with the rest of you guys? They don't owe the FAA poo poo. The FAA owes you a poo poo TON more money for the crap you deal with. Blame them?

The FAA LOOOVES people with good intentions. They gently caress and abuse them the most.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 22, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tommy 2.0 posted:

TFK, as much as I love your want to help, he'd be better off asking the controllers that work there how to cross their stuff. Regardless if they are right or wrong.

:rolleyes:

That's really not how the system works, but ok. Regardless, ORD isn't the only airport with these markings, and there aren't any ORD controllers posting in this thread.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 22, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

They are already CPCs. What loving incentive do they have to get checked out and board the staffing-abuse-train with the rest of you guys? They don't owe the FAA poo poo. The FAA owes you a poo poo TON more money for the crap you deal with. Blame them?

The FAA LOOOVES people with good intentions. They gently caress and abuse them the most.

But if they're already certified on something they're already on board the train, right? Or can they not be assigned overtime until fully certified? I know that trainees will get calls at my facility but I believe they're the absolutely last people to be called. If overtime is being scheduled and there's no one else they should be getting the same poo poo that everyone else is.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

:rolleyes:

That's really not how the system works, but ok. Regardless, ORD isn't the only airport with these markings, and there aren't any ORD controllers posting in this thread.

Go to more facilities and try going "black and white" with every single rule. Some places that will get you thrown off the catwalk. Every place has it's own "isms". The last thing you will ever want to be known as is the "at this place we did it like this" guy.

What I'm trying to convey is it's great he's asking controllers here, but he/she is better off getting the final say from controllers at that facility.

fknlo posted:

But if they're already certified on something they're already on board the train, right? Or can they not be assigned overtime until fully certified? I know that trainees will get calls at my facility but I believe they're the absolutely last people to be called. If overtime is being scheduled and there's no one else they should be getting the same poo poo that everyone else is.

That sounds like something facility dependent if anything. I've always experienced that the trainees can get called, but will get called last, and are rarely scheduled overtime (I'm sure it happens but I can't remember it).

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 22, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Go to more facilities and try going "black and white" with every single rule. Some places that will get you thrown off the catwalk. Every place has it's own "isms". The last thing you will ever want to be known as is the "at this place we did it like this" guy.

That's not what's happening here. Someone (a pilot) asked a basic air traffic signage question.

Also, you didn't actually say for certain that you know Chicago handles these signs differently. So either you don't know, and you're just being a prick, or you do know and you're not sharing, which is also being a prick.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 22, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I saw the inclusion of this horrible thread in the New Megathread Index and it made me realize that Tommy 2.0 and I have been at this for 3 years.

What am I doing with my life.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Tommy 2.0 posted:

You have successfully summed up one of the biggest problems in ATC, the near complete lack of professional interchange couple with a cultural hostility to the same.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

No, I absolutely don't blame them. What's pissing me off is that the supervisors are allowing it to happen, which is both intensifying and extending our staffing problems. It's extremely frustrating for me as a union rep to have to bring these issues to management. It's like the relationship between labor and management is out to loving lunch, and we're subject to bizarro world with these fuckers.

On the flip side, I have NATCA regional officials pushing back because of grievances I filed that are clear contract violations, because "we didn't collaborate." gently caress collaboration, all its been so far is a way for management to weasel out of the agreements THAT THEY'VE ALREADY loving SIGNED.

The Teamsters local I used to be a member of would have the loving pitchforks out on these loving idiots.

JohnClark posted:

You have successfully summed up one of the biggest problems in ATC, the near complete lack of professional interchange couple with a cultural hostility to the same.

"We do it this way because that's the way it's always been done, not because it's the best way to do it."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Last mid tonight :toot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Last mid tonight :toot:

Not my last mid tonight. At least I work first.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Not my last mid tonight. At least I work first.

The only thing that has kept me going for the last year or so is that we stopped rotating so you work the same thing every week. I work second so I'm in the area as the second person for the guy working first, I work, and then I'm done at 3:30 and I just sleep at work until I wake up which is usually somewhere around 8 or 9. It has done wonders for me. I would have broken a long time ago if we hadn't switched up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, apparently one of the guys in my area was working earlier, and got his foot but by a rat...

...And they have the (probably really pissed off) rodent trapped under a trash can.

This loving place...

Edit: Rat now has his own name tag in the break bay.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

So, apparently one of the guys in my area was working earlier, and got his foot but by a rat...

...And they have the (probably really pissed off) rodent trapped under a trash can.

This loving place...

Edit: Rat now has his own name tag in the break bay.

That beats our spider thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

But we didn't go ATC alert. Spider thing wins.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

But we didn't go ATC alert. Spider thing wins.

You guys solved your staffing shortage by putting it to work though.

I have people that want to know its name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yes what is the name of the new employee please.