Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tell yon tales of people who are cheap as gently caress.

My parents always insist they're not cheap because they had some friends who would only heat half of their house during the winter. The half they did not heat was their kids' bedrooms. During winter, the kids had to sleep on the kitchen floor, and then go get their cold clothing out of their bedrooms in the morning. The parents were millionaires.

Additionally, my great-uncle and his wife had about $5 mil from various whatever. They lived in a mobile home from the 70s and took carrot tops and etc out of their neighbors' compost piles to make it into meatloaf. Neither of them bought clothes as long as they lived, they made their own. Except shoes, which they got from their church's donation bin. For christmas, a nice young woman gave them blankets because they appeared to be impoverished. They talked about how the lady was a stupid rube and now they got blankets for free and could turn down the thermostat in winter.

I insist that my parents are cheap anyway but there's always a cheaper person.

---

"NO WEDDINGS" RULE: NO DISCUSSION OF WEDDINGS

:siren: Someone posted a "Cheap weddings" thread! Post here to talk about giving your new wife something valuable is stupid! Don't do it here! :siren:

Pick fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My mother gets a hoot out of good deals, and a local liquidator was selling bottles of clam juice for 19 cents. She bought all of them he had (more than 50) and resolved to use one bottle of clam juice per week minimum, so that she could proudly say she got a "year of clam" for ten dollars.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

swamp coolers and everything to do with them

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pick posted:

My mother gets a hoot out of good deals, and a local liquidator was selling bottles of clam juice for 19 cents. She bought all of them he had (more than 50) and resolved to use one bottle of clam juice per week minimum, so that she could proudly say she got a "year of clam" for ten dollars.

why buy a clam when you can get the juice for free

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pick posted:

you could have told her to clam down on the extraneous purchases

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
one time i shoveled snow for a neighbor who said she would give me fifty dollars and i went out and shoved her behemoth of a driveway with crusty ice underneath and then after about 3 hours i got twenty five dollars

needless to say i do not shovel for her ever again

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

is it on, or with? i lost most of my fourth edition of on writing well in a fire and i dont want to get another copy

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

EorayMel posted:

one time i shoveled snow for a neighbor who said she would give me fifty dollars and i went out and shoved her behemoth of a driveway with crusty ice underneath and then after about 3 hours i got twenty five dollars

needless to say i do not shovel for her ever again

sounds like a job for a recently returned shitposter

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
One day at lunch a group of us were tossing in cash to pay the check and realized we were way over on the tip, like it would have been a 50% tip. A few of us took a buck or two back if we had intentionally over-tipped, but then we were short. After a minute of scratching our heads we realized that one guy hadn't contributed any tip money but still took a few bucks back.

This same person also participated in a white elephant gift exchange without contributing anything, causing us to come up a gift short at the end.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
My great aunt was a hotel mogul and was ridiculously rich. She didn't ever give us anything, which is fair, but once. She gave my brother and me a bottle of Prell shampoo for Xmas. "Kids love that stuff!"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There's this guy I used to know named George who was so cheap that he bought the cheapest possible envelopes for his wedding invitations. The tragedy was that the glue on the envelopes was toxic so his fiance died from licking too many envelopes :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gimbal lock posted:

My great aunt was a hotel mogul and was ridiculously rich. She didn't ever give us anything, which is fair, but once. She gave my brother and me a bottle of Prell shampoo for Xmas. "Kids love that stuff!"

kids do like having non-greasy hair

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i bought a dude for 50 bucks

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
My parents did a load of laundry while visiting my uncle once and he charged them for the detergent they used.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
my dad is cheap af and steals most of his consumables and furniture n poo poo from his place of work. he knows a lot of illegals so he knows how to get things done for ridiculous grey market prices. he is also an immigrant from eastern europe

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Self-cheapness: back in middle school I was going to a birthday party but forgot to purchase a gift. I hastily recorded myself saying silly stuff on the Windows Recorder program and then sped it up / slowed it down / reversed it and saved them off to two or three floppy discs. The gift seemed a bit poor even to me so I tossed in a few blank floppies for good measure. This was the mid-90s so floppies still had marginal value.

For a different birthday party I wanted to make a custom card, but not in the sense of using actual effort. I think I just folded a piece of notebook paper in half and wrote some dumb stuff on it in pencil. I may have drawn a picture too, but that may be a stretch.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

when i was really young an older couple lived next door. the husband was a total miser and when they went to the grocery store he would walk along with the wife and take things out of the cart because "we don't need that". when he died she found boxes of cash hidden all over the house. i would go to the store down the street to pick up her groceries or sweep leaves off of the porch for her and she paid me with silver certificates, although by that time they were just worth their face dollar value and could no longer be exchanged for silver.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My friend worked at a call center and described a guy who seemed homeless. This place hired lots of addicts and stuff, so not too unusual. He was clearly mentally ill, would sometimes have to be asked to pull his pants up. They'd often see him around town, sometimes eating out of dumpsters. One day someone saw him getting into a car, and upon looking closer, it was a really dirty Porsche. Turns out the guy is a wealthy heir, owns a mansion in a fancy Boston suburb, and just bums around town and works in the call center anyway. That's a sad one but yeah.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Everyone I know is too poor to be considered cheap.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I once made a "Post here to boost your post count" thread on another forum, and someone paid me five bucks to delete it. The forum's gone now.

Doesn't really have to do with the thread but it's one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68tH-lnK60

I wash my clothes in shower runoff and when I take a dump I use my soapy hand

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Is this the new India.Txt?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Mega64 posted:

I once made a "Post here to boost your post count" thread on another forum, and someone paid me five bucks to delete it. The forum's gone now.

Doesn't really have to do with the thread but it's one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.

What forum? You dont have to answer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

What forum? You dont have to answer.

The Mega64ums, the former official forums of the Mega64 channel, hilariously enough.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pick posted:

So...what do you do with clam juice? What is the purpose of juicing a clam? I understand it exists but...what is it for???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

So...what do you do with clam juice? What is the purpose of juicing a clam? I understand it exists but...what is it for???

It's a savory flavorant.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
thought it was loving really cheap ppl, sorry op

naem
May 29, 2011

Several older family members were alive during the depression and every one of them had a secret stash of paper and plastic shopping bags, immaculate wire twisty-ties, rubber bands, entire basements filled with carefully sorted cardboard shoe boxes etc.

Anything that came free with any purchase going back 50 plus years, carefully saved, because what if you can't get them anymore??

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Why don't chicks (baby chickens) shop at the chanel store?

They cheep

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pick posted:

It's a savory flavorant.

I get that part, but what does it go into? What do you cook with it? Why choose it over almost any other savory flavoring? What could you make every week for a year out of a whole bottle of clam juice?

Because your mother is the kind of person who is going to use that juice. That juice is happening.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you don't chug a bottle of clam juice every day to reawaken the meaning in your life, what are you still alive for?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

Several older family members were alive during the depression and every one of them had a secret stash of paper and plastic shopping bags, immaculate wire twisty-ties, rubber bands, entire basements filled with carefully sorted cardboard shoe boxes etc.

Anything that came free with any purchase going back 50 plus years, carefully saved, because what if you can't get them anymore??

My dad built my parents' current house in large part from wood scraps his father had saved.

Also my father says his mother (who did fine in the GD) would yell at her husband for buying too much staple food, so his dad made secret stashes of grain in the walls and stuff.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

i bought a dude for 50 bucks

And to think you could've paid 25$ :sad:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

I get that part, but what does it go into? What do you cook with it? Why choose it over almost any other savory flavoring? What could you make every week for a year out of a whole bottle of clam juice?

Because your mother is the kind of person who is going to use that juice. That juice is happening.

Mostly potato soup into "clam chowder" with no clam meat in it. Potato, milk, onion, black pepper, clam juice.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I go out of my way not to associate with cheap people because I don't enjoy being miserable.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Most cheap people aren't actually fiscally wise, as a PSA for the thread.

My father is the cheapest man I've ever met. He will drive ten hours to buy a truck because he got a 'good deal' online from some shady Kijiji listing. He also is in massive, crippling debt and owns a fleet of rusting trucks he will always 'some day' fix up and resell. He spends thousands upon thousands of dollars on renovating his shitshack home and remain convinced he came out ahead because at some point he talked a salesperson into giving him a 10% discount on warped lumber. He is obsessed with 'getting a good deal' whenever a 'good deal' comes up because he is certain at some point in the future owning five yogurt makers will somehow pay off.

Cheapness is more a matter of petty victory over other people than saving money, at least for my dad. It's all about somehow being able to believe you 'got one over' on...someone, somewhere.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Baby chickens, like some other birds, make a noise resembling a 'cheep'

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

My parents always insist they're not cheap because they had some friends who would only heat half of their house during the winter. The half they did not heat was their kids' bedrooms. During winter, the kids had to sleep on the kitchen floor, and then go get their cold clothing out of their bedrooms in the morning. The parents were millionaires.

So it worked! Thanks for the tip!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I mean if you're cheap why the gently caress have kids in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
https://youtu.be/GNJpFT8YKn0

I guess it's more of a 'scree scree' but for purposes of the joke I hope you'll let it slide

• Locked thread