Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

a resignation letter shouldn't be more than "I resign (job) as of (date)", who cares if it gets forwarded around

yeah this was the two weeks i emailed to my boss and his boss at my last job

quote:

To whom it may concern,

Effective DATE, I am terminating my employment at FIRM. I am thankful for
the knowledge, experiences, and opportunities we've shared in the last TERM OF EMPLOYMENT, and
wish you the best fortune in the future.

I would like to be able to continue working on PROJECT and cross-training other
members of TEAM in the meantime, although I completely understand if
that is not possible.

Best regards,
NAME

(there'd been a few people that put in two weeks' notice and were disappeared same day, hence the "not possible" bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ciao motherfuckers, I'm out. good luck getting my code to run

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
apparently i was still logged into the red hat irc months after my departure.

i forgot that I'd set a logout message (which had never been seen or used because I had persistent IRC setup via an internal proxy thing), so one day months after my departure the proxy crashed, i finally got logged out, and apparently my final message was "bye haters."

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

apparently i was still logged into the red hat irc months after my departure.

i forgot that I'd set a logout message (which had never been seen or used because I had persistent IRC setup via an internal proxy thing), so one day months after my departure the proxy crashed, i finally got logged out, and apparently my final message was "bye haters."

lol

how was it working for red hat overall? i'm just curious. i forget the reasons you wanted out of there

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

triple sulk posted:

lol

how was it working for red hat overall? i'm just curious. i forget the reasons you wanted out of there

so, I worked in the IT org (on an engineering team), which is very different from the engineering org. I can't really speak to how things are run in the engineering org.

the IT org was a very disappointing experience:

- significantly underpaid by industry standards. definitely coasting by on the "we're red hat and open source" thing. maybe that works when you're working directly on linux, but when you're working on some boring yet critical internal system it's not enough to just tell me i should be happy that i'm working in open source.

- due to the low compensation, hiring was a clusterfuck. all contractors, all the time. contract for hire. Again, coasting on the "we're redhat" thing. I never woulda done contract for hire if it weren't an opportunity to work for redhat, and I'll never do it again. not because i was exploited (I got hired within 6 months) but because I saw lots of other people get exploited, and everyone I had to work with sucked because they were a cut rate contractor.

- ridiculous org structure with more BAs than developers.

all in all it was way too corporate and pay was way too lovely to deal with a corporate experience. but i'm glad I worked there because now I have red hat on my resume and no one needs to know it was in the lovely IT org.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
lol that Red Hat has enough prestige to underpay their employees

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
kudos to red hat for working to bring computer toucher salaries down to a reasonable level

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my company just sent me on a month-long vacation they paid travel expenses for and all it did was give me enough time to come out of the fog of misery and realize it was my job that was doing that to me, lol. i spent my week slinging resumes around chicago and im going to do more this weekend.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
finally filed my green card paperwork last week. current processing times with uscis are approaching 365 275 days, give or take

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cis autodrag posted:

my company just sent me on a month-long vacation they paid travel expenses for and all it did was give me enough time to come out of the fog of misery and realize it was my job that was doing that to me, lol. i spent my week slinging resumes around chicago and im going to do more this weekend.

cis autodrag get the non-mumps job

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

finally filed my green card paperwork last week. current processing times with uscis are approaching 365 275 days, give or take

don't move here, it's bad

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

cis autodrag get the non-mumps job

ugh, we're moving offices and they are trying to pack me in with some random guy i dont know who creeps me out. i might have to quit before i even find something else lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stymie posted:

kudos to red hat for working to bring computer toucher salaries down to a reasonable level

rhel *and* a reality check on tech, what can't redhat do?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

rhel *and* a reality check on tech, what can't redhat do?

cloud

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

don't move here, it's bad

the uk is worse

hope you like working in london for 40c on the dollar because there is basically no work outside it

america will survive trump as long as his handlers keep him away from the big red button. britain will continue to sail into 1000 years of tory darkness because we can fix the 99% being dirt poor if we just suck the 1%'s cocks more vigorously

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

america will survive trump as long as his handlers keep him away from the big red button. britain will continue to sail into 1000 years of tory darkness because we can fix the 99% being dirt poor if we just suck the 1%'s cocks more vigorously

lmao. if you think the tories are bad then you are going to spend a lot of time being angry about American politics and maybe it's not worth it. just stay home.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

welcome to america!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

we can fix the 99% being dirt poor if we just suck the 1%'s cocks more vigorously

you are aware that this plus racism is the guiding philosophy of the party that controls all three branches of government now and for the foreseeable future right

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Management posted:

ciao motherfuckers, I'm out. good luck getting my code to run

how I leave the office every day

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had a previous employer reach out to figure out which of my codes were running

like they'd found the server, did 'ls cgi-bin', saw 12 files and threw up their hands

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

i had a previous employer reach out to figure out which of my codes were running

like they'd found the server, did 'ls cgi-bin', saw 12 files and threw up their hands

i hope you didn't say anything besides give your hourly rate

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
so is it normal to have an interview in google hangouts? I already did "passed" the phone screen.

this is for a company I have actually heard of before so I assume it is an easy way for them to wed out scrubs like me.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

so is it normal to have an interview in google hangouts? I already did "passed" the phone screen.

is it remote or in person? but yes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i had an on-site interview w/ someone skyping in from off site

"welcome to our office, here's a room with someone on a computer to talk to u"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

this is for a company I have actually heard of before so I assume it is an easy way for them to wed out scrubs like me.

it is just video conference, which means you are in for a second phone screen. i personally view it as a bad sign that they go for hangouts, but i think that is a mix of prejudice and it being a field-dependent matter ;)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twerk from Home posted:

i just quit my job by sending my resignation letter to the wrong printer, and that printers owner scanned it and emailed it out to the whole company

this is literally the first thing i've printed while working here, and setting up printers from ubuntu is a pita

lmbo that's amazing

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cis autodrag posted:

Chicago is gr8 and all but I wouldn't leave MSP for it without a big raise

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Munkeymon posted:

Anything is probably going to be a big raise for me, and there's basically no other programming shops where I am. I have to move to get anywhere in this career and gently caress the Bay.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is just video conference, which means you are in for a second phone screen. i personally view it as a bad sign that they go for hangouts, but i think that is a mix of prejudice and it being a field-dependent matter ;)

yeah, it is a video conference. looking at glassdoor, I guess that is just what they do. apparently the next step after that would be to actually get let in the building. in theory this is for a front end dev position so i'm looking forward to tree traversal in pjavascript.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think the correct answer is "you have said nothing that suggests anything, good luck though!", so, good luck though! :)

don't settle for something you'll hate, it is p. hard to starve to death in most modern societies

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JawnV6 posted:

i had an on-site interview w/ someone skyping in from off site

"welcome to our office, here's a room with someone on a computer to talk to u"

i had 2 interviews in one day in another city the other week

both of them did that to me. one of them had me balancing a binary search tree on a whiteboard while holding up an ipad with my other hand so that the front facing camera could show what i was writing

the other one locked me in a small room to talk to a 60" TV running hangouts via a chromebox and a series of heads came, asked me questions, and went on the TV

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

Anything is probably going to be a big raise for me, and there's basically no other programming shops where I am. I have to move to get anywhere in this career and gently caress the Bay.

pittsburgh :getin:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Munkeymon posted:

how is the programming up there? i'm about 1.5 hours southeast at basically the only tech company in this town and eventually i'd like to move up to the cities

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

how is the programming up there? i'm about 1.5 hours southeast at basically the only tech company in this town and eventually i'd like to move up to the cities

it's orders of magnitude better than bumfuck, Wisconsin

it's not Seattle, SF, NYC or LA but 3m and target (they hire a surprising number of developers) are HQ'd here. MS and Amazon have presences. historically there were a ton of tech companies founded in the 60s since Honeywell and Cray were massive and brought a lot of engineers to the area

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hobbesmaster posted:

it's orders of magnitude better than bumfuck, Wisconsin

it's not Seattle, SF, NYC or LA but 3m and target (they hire a surprising number of developers) are HQ'd here. MS and Amazon have presences. historically there were a ton of tech companies founded in the 60s since Honeywell and Cray were massive and brought a lot of engineers to the area

ah okay, that's not bad. i'm not too unhappy with my job atm but i think i'll get bored of the town much quicker so that's good!

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

ShadowHawk posted:

Got promoted today. Job search deferred.

Need to wait a week to hear the official comp change amount but from looking at our internal pay sharing spreadsheet I can expect ~25k more in salary, a similar amount in bonus, and a similar amount in additional yearly RSU grants.

:toot:

congrats, is that the l5 and time to coast forever promotion?

meanwhile my boss has known the answer for 2 days and not told me and now its the weekend so.......

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

congrats, is that the l5 and time to coast forever promotion?

meanwhile my boss has known the answer for 2 days and not told me and now its the weekend so.......
No it's the "wait you weren't L4 already?" promotion.

Came in at the same level we give new college grads. If I didn't get promoted this time there was a danger my intern would return and make more money than me when his signing bonus gets counted.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

hey if u have experience in sre/java or python backend dev/whatever bullshit is involved with frontend send me a pm, I'm aiming to stack recruitment bonuses and i work for a not garbage place in the loop

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's been loving impossible to hire a platform (devops) engineer in boston. salary is awesome, the company is well known and great to work for, the role is cool, and we're doing a ton of sweet greenfield stuff with distributed systems but can barely get a nibble. idk wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nobody knows what devops is

• Locked thread