Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

parallelodad posted:

It's pretty good. It's gotten better as they've given up being a real part of the MCU and started telling their own stories. Likable characters, good intrigue, and most of all, Ward.
Yeah, plus I've been on the TVIV thread since the beginning of the show and I think watching the show live with the thread has helped my opinion on it along with what you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Does Skye ever stop being a terrible, annoying character?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sean10mm posted:

Thats not her name....

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dexo posted:

Thats not her name....

It was when I watched the lovely early episodes?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

It was when I watched the lovely early episodes?

It's a terrible joke that you'll understand if you keep watching.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
But yeah Skye is cool

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Drifter posted:

She named herself, not knowing her real name. Not exactly a joke but haha?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

sean10mm posted:

What did you find annoying about her? I mean, she's still played by the same actress so...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Named herself Skye, her real name is Daisy, her name in the orphanage that was assigned to her was Mary Sue Toots.

It's not canonical but people like to imagine she was in the same orphanage as Daredevil, the timelines and location line up pretty well.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Named herself Skye, her real name is Daisy, her name in the orphanage that was assigned to her was Mary Sue Toots.

It's not canonical but people like to imagine she was in the same orphanage as Daredevil, the timelines and location line up pretty well.

I like to imagine regular things but if they were really big

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

parallelodad posted:

Boy, he sure got be good for... not knowing all kinds of things that happened after I stopped watching a show? Or something?

:confuoot:

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

parallelodad posted:

It's cannon, they were both raised at Saint Agnes. That connection has never lead to anything, mind you, but still.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yakmouth posted:

What did you find annoying about her? I mean, she's still played by the same actress so...

In the first season her whole hacktivist take down the system schtick is annoying, but she gets over that by the end of the first season.

Bizarrely, after she becomes super good at Kung Fu and gets superpowers she actually feels like less of a Mary Sue somehow.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drifter posted:

In the show itself, the line gets shouted several times by Kyle McLachlan so it sounded better coming from him.

The other Daredevil connection is the boxer who fought Matt's dad later became Absorbing Man and he appeared for 3 episodes in AoS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah and absorbing man actually ended up reforming too. Can't remember if he got murked or not.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

sean10mm posted:

Boy, he sure got be good for... not knowing all kinds of things that happened after I stopped watching a show? Or something?

:confuoot:

He wasn't trying to get you, he was quoting Kyle McLachlan's character. It's almost a catch phrase of his, and became a running joke in the tviv thread.

Kyle McLachlan is absolutely fantastic in it btw. I'll sheepishly defend a lot of the show, but he's just objectively great in it.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

parallelodad posted:

In the first season her whole hacktivist take down the system schtick is annoying, but she gets over that by the end of the first season.

Bizarrely, after she becomes super good at Kung Fu and gets superpowers she actually feels like less of a Mary Sue somehow.

I feel like the hacktivism could have worked if they'd done anything with it. Like, Skye was set up to be this cog in the system but the writers weren't interested in making the rest of the cast 'company men' so she lost the necessary contrast.

Now I'm trying to remember when Coulson and his team became the wild-cards of SHIELD ... I feel like it happened early, like by episode 7 or 8 of season 1 at the latest.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

parallelodad posted:

I saw the trailer last night, and this is super obvious but I didn't notice it before.

That's both awesome, and not boding well for Wonder Woman's movie-fight potential.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cvnvcnv posted:

She named herself, not knowing her real name. Not exactly a joke but haha?
Ahh, so you're gonna be the me police for a while. Gotcha.
Agents of Shield is a joke, therefore Skye/Daisy/Mary is also a joke.
It is/was a TVIV thing, if you've ever been down that way.

parallelodad posted:

M.S. Poots, I think it was. Toots made me giggle a bit, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

That's both awesome, and not boding well for Wonder Woman's movie-fight potential.

God, I would hate to be the film that had to movie fight loving Superman 78

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

parallelodad posted:

I saw the trailer last night, and this is super obvious but I didn't notice it before.

That red mark on the wall over Lane's head makes it look like Clark smashed her against the wall.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WKAly8tUNg

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: Too much effort on GotG already.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

K. Waste posted:

I wouldn't judge the color too much, as these are both lovely captures from full screen YouTube using the print screen button. The framing in both I think is interesting. But I love how Diana's outfit is as much of a carbon copy of Clark's as a woman's suit from the 1910s could possibly be.

The framing of course matters. They put the camera under Clark with a lot of empty space emphasizing his control over the situation, which before that shot in this scene he was pretending not to have. In Wonder Woman she is behind the cowering Steve Trevor, there is hardly any empty space, the camera is at more or less eye level. The shot is more emphasizing her subtlety and subversiveness.

It's interesting that their opposite because Clark wants his identity to be secret and Diana wants her identity to be public instead of posing as a secretary, but both shots emphasize the opposite.

Theother main difference is Lois is turned around because she doesn't want to know what happens next and doesn't care about Clark that much to feel any protective feelings for him. She's just got him shot, while Steve is already in the know, and does care about Diana and feel protective. He's protecting her and cowering at the same time.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 22, 2017

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Dianas outfit in that shot is in fact a Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps uniform. :eng101:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Tom Cruise is a really good actor who just enjoys making action films because they're fun to make.

Also because he's terrified of his own mortality and people thinking he's old.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The new X-Men movie is officially titled Dark Phoenix. So I guess Kinberg decided he deserved a mulligan.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

The new X-Men movie is officially titled Dark Phoenix. So I guess Kinberg decided he deserved a mulligan.

If it doesn't star Famke Janssen, who gives a poo poo. Nobody wants to see Sophie Turner or whomever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dream Casting for the Universal Monster Cinematic Universe would be:

The Mummy: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
The Wolfman: Paul "Triple H" Levesque
Dracula: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
The Creature from the Black Lagoon: MIck "Cactus Jack" "Mankind" "Dude Love" Foley

The Invisible Man: John Cena

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wanting to increase Sophie Turner's prominence in the franchise was not my takeaway from X-Men Apocalypse, but I guess they have to do something if Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, and James McAvoy aren't coming back.

Best of the new generation is, I guess, Quicksilver? Looking at IMDB informs that Baby Stryker was Slit from Fury Road.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If it doesn't star Famke Janssen, who gives a poo poo. Nobody wants to see Sophie Turner or whomever.

I won't give a poo poo unless someone other than Kinberg writes it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Looking at IMDB informs that Baby Stryker was Slit from Fury Road.

gently caress, I can totally see it now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Tom Cruise is a really good actor who just enjoys making action films because they're fun to make.

It's nice to see people like Tom Cruise again. He's always been a favorite of mine and for a few years there he was treated like a joke because of Scientology or whatever. As if religion has any bearing on acting talent.

Although I haven't seen any of the newer MI movies. It's so weird they brought back that dead horse and yet it seems to have really taken off.

What is the best Cruise film, anyway? I like to re-watch A Few Good Men fairly often.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Risky Business

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

parallelodad posted:

I wouldn't judge the color too much, as these are both lovely captures from full screen YouTube using the print screen button. The framing in both I think is interesting. But I love how Diana's outfit is as much of a carbon copy of Clark's as a woman's suit from the 1910s could possibly be.

The framing of course matters. They put the camera under Clark with a lot of empty space emphasizing his control over the situation, which before that shot in this scene he was pretending not to have. In Wonder Woman she is behind the cowering Steve Trevor, there is hardly any empty space, the camera is at more or less eye level. The shot is more emphasizing her subtlety and subversiveness.

It's interesting that their opposite because Clark wants his identity to be secret and Diana wants her identity to be public instead of posing as a secretary, but both shots emphasize the opposite.

Theother main difference is Lois is turned around because she doesn't want to know what happens next and doesn't care about Clark that much to feel any protective feelings for him. She's just got him shot, while Steve is already in the know, and does care about Diana and feel protective. He's protecting her and cowering at the same time.

It's a fair cop. Good on ya, parallel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NikkolasKing posted:

What is the best Cruise film, anyway? I like to re-watch A Few Good Men fairly often.

Dunno about his best movie, but the reason I licked him again was the one-two punch of Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion. Two fantastic science fiction movies with Tom Cruise dying a lot, what's not to love.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It's nice to see people like Tom Cruise again. He's always been a favorite of mine and for a few years there he was treated like a joke because of Scientology or whatever. As if religion has any bearing on acting talent.

Although I haven't seen any of the newer MI movies. It's so weird they brought back that dead horse and yet it seems to have really taken off.

Collateral is fuckin' dope. And the Last Samurai might be a white savior film, but it's a really good one.

The most recent Mission Impossible was cool. It felt like the result of a bet to have Ethan almost never use a gun.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The whole M:I franchise is good. Not a bad movie at any point and I legit love the most recent two. You might find 2 to be the most ridiculous but it's John Woo so why expect anything else.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

The whole M:I franchise is good. Not a bad movie at any point and I legit love the most recent two. You might find 2 to be the most ridiculous but it's John Woo so why expect anything else.

2 is amazing because, right as Ethan is about to solve the whole movie, he pauses to remember how important it is that he do what he is now hesitating to do. Like, he's not remembering the cost, or the potential consequences, he just pauses. Then the villains storm in. It's such a weirdly contrived pause to let the villains in, which they could have done at any time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I few years ago I watched every movie Tom Cruise is in. Time well spent.

• Locked thread