Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Knight nog tryin to get that handbeezy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I thought I remembered DS3 having a much more relaxed filter, so I haven't even thought about it when making characters

somehow none of my character names are censored though, despite almost all of them using the full 16 characters :iiam:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I think it's because it was in Japanese first, and they only made a censor list for certain characters.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Spanish vulgarities are also lagerly undetected in most censors and are widely understood by many, even non-Spanish speakers, heh I knew being hispanic had its perks somewhere

and yeah all my characters are basically variations of the word penis in spanish :smug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The worst censor I experienced was monster hunter tri's, because not only was that a game with a lot of typing to each other, but it also used the same censor for everything that wasn't the Japanese version. This included the word "after" (thanks german), causing exchanges like "after this, let's do something else" to become "**** this, let's do something else"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not the only one who thinks the Eyes of a Fire Keeper look like blueberries, right? What a cruel prank to play on the poor, blind Fire Keeper. :(

"Ashen one, are these... are these eyes?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The fire keeper is really interesting in 3. I've been paying more attention to the items. They're people that/take after someone that returned from the abyss or something. It's another layer of mystery of the interplay of the dark and firelink.

Digirat posted:

The worst censor I experienced was monster hunter tri's, because not only was that a game with a lot of typing to each other, but it also used the same censor for everything that wasn't the Japanese version. This included the word "after" (thanks german), causing exchanges like "after this, let's do something else" to become "**** this, let's do something else"

Amazing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iretep posted:

Some of the great hammers are alright but they are still pretty bad. They are so slow that you can usually punish them with a backstab or just poke them to death with faster weapons.
Heres the current meme meta weapon list and even they rate them pretty low:

what on earth makes the rotten ghru spear high tier

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Man, being stubborn and not summoning for Champion Gundyr is the best decision I've made in any souls game. Learning to parry has never been so much fun.
That is seriously such a well designed boss fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

what on earth makes the rotten ghru spear high tier

I think it might be one of the higher damage spears, and the poison is a nice added bonus now that poison has been buffed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

funktopus posted:

Man, being stubborn and not summoning for Champion Gundyr is the best decision I've made in any souls game. Learning to parry has never been so much fun.
That is seriously such a well designed boss fight.

Yeah even when I summon for it because I just want to get this character to 120 already it's fun to even just watch him swing at the buddy. His animations are really good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how lovely the ODK fight is. It's not hard or anything, just really annoying.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
After he does that big explosion attack right at the end of his life bar he just lies there and swipes at you ineffectually if you get close

it's quite sad :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sapozhnik posted:

After he does that big explosion attack right at the end of his life bar he just lies there and swipes at you ineffectually if you get close

I like how he's missing an eye. Poor grampy demon :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sapozhnik posted:

That, and also the crumbling legs of the stray demon definitely gave me Sif flashbacks and actually made me feel sorry for the demons :(

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

KingSlime posted:

Spanish vulgarities are also lagerly undetected in most censors and are widely understood by many, even non-Spanish speakers, heh I knew being hispanic had its perks somewhere

and yeah all my characters are basically variations of the word penis in spanish :smug:

Spanish has the most words for penis because it is the :gay: est language

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looking through old pictures in my DS folder, I'm reminded once again that DS2 had the best fashion

e: and also it had the best gimmick run

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 21, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

Weird, so spinning it (the weapon art) staggers players but not PvE monsters?

I found basically no use for the Splitleaf WA in PvE since the spin didn't stagger and thus I'd just get knocked out of it. I figured it was good in PvP since all weapons with fancy jumping and flipping moves generally are, but I never imagined it could combo.
gael's sword also can combo for a gross amount of damage, IIRC it's like R1->L2->R1 which does like 900 damage, and the WA has a lotta poise

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

That, and also the crumbling legs of the stray demon definitely gave me Sif flashbacks and actually made me feel sorry for the demons :(

I was looking for a good img of that line for later. :v:

e: Holy poo poo that character

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:woop: :woop: :woop:

For anyone interested in blind Dark Souls III playthroughs, Dan from Extra Credits who previously played through DS1 and DS2 on his Side Quest series has finally started his DS3 playthrough! The first two were great, and I expect nothing less of this one. He's relatively new to the series (hadn't played Dark Souls before starting the series a year and a half ago) and it's refreshing to see the games played by someone who isn't already a Souls veteran but just appreciates them for what they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQafe0HL6uk

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

HaB posted:

I just was trying a Bow (not Greatbow and not Crossbow) build, and even with stacked Red Tearstone / Morion Blade it was.....underwhelming. In PvE. Can't say for PvP since I don't PvP much. I think about the most damage I saw against a boss was maybe 400? That was with Hyper Mode active.

It's decent for regular PvE, but certainly not great. I may try to respec a bit into more of a Greatbow thing, but I dunno. Just the gameplay of it hasn't been that interesting. Or at least not as interesting as it was in DS1. Sad, because you could wreck some poo poo with a Chaos Composite Bow & Fire Arrows back in the day. My bows-only run was one of the most fun runs I did in DS1.

The weapon tier image someone posted has Arbalest / Avelyn as highest tier bow/sbow/xbow. But the Greatbows with scaling should have better max single-shot damage, I think?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Greatbows are extremely gimmicky in PvP because they fire incredibly slowly which makes them easy to dodge if your opponent isn't distracted. Doesn't matter how good your damage is if you can never hit anything.

Crossbows don't deal much damage but they can be pulled out and fired relatively quickly, which makes them a good way to punish certain things.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The fact that they are one handed mean you can just have it out always and get free damage on any nerd that whiffs an attack.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I'm not the only one who thinks the Eyes of a Fire Keeper look like blueberries, right? What a cruel prank to play on the poor, blind Fire Keeper. :(

"Ashen one, are these... are these eyes?"

Everybody thinks this. Everybody.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

double nine posted:

I think that Black Knight & black knight get censored, but BLACK KNIGHT is fine.

I'm assuming that this tool is accurate: https://omgftw.github.io/DarkSouls3CensorCheck/

Right. Their censor is case sensitive.

It is bad and terrible. Can't bypass it this time like you can with DS2 either, because DS3 has a much more restricted character set that does not include, say, the Unicode no-width blank.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Looking through old pictures in my DS folder, I'm reminded once again that DS2 had the best fashion

e: and also it had the best gimmick run

Dark Souls 2 was the best game.

EDIT: It also had the best cat in the series.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls 2 was the best game.

EDIT: It also had the best cat in the series.

I was hoping we'd find out just exactly what she was in DS3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Node posted:

She's a cat, what else would she be?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

That also reminds me..... does DS3 even have any cats? I'm trying to think of any, and I've recently played through the game 3 times... so I'm pretty sure DS3 actually doesn't have any cats.

Wow, it really is the worst game of the series :catstare:

Nuebot posted:

She's a cat, what else would she be?

I want a spin-off game where she's your sidekick, a-la Legend of Zelda. She's the best catte :allears:

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Your Computer posted:

That also reminds me..... does DS3 even have any cats? I'm trying to think of any, and I've recently played through the game 3 times... so I'm pretty sure DS3 actually doesn't have any cats.

Wow, it really is the worst game of the series :catstare:

I want a spin-off game where she's your sidekick, a-la Legend of Zelda. She's the best catte :allears:

Suspect is catless. Repeat, catless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I find it odd that From can make a nice NPC like Shalequoir but their level up NPCs are always the most consistently boring doormats.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Playing DS1 for the first time in a while and why the gently caress did they stop making double elevators

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I find it odd that From can make a nice NPC like Shalequoir but their level up NPCs are always the most consistently boring doormats.

I'm pretty sure they're also the NPCs most jerked off too though. So why bother making a cool talking cat to hang out with when you can just make another quiet lady in black for nerds to draw a million pictures of.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Let me tell you about the concept of "waifu" :whitewater:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Bloodborne one is literally a doll built by a horny weirdo in the image of someone with more personality

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah, yet another reason why dark souls 1 letting you level up directly from bonfires was the objectively best decision

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Bloodborne one is literally a doll built by a horny weirdo in the image of someone with more personality

Take it back :toughguy:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

yesss beat midir on my mage. Ran out of estus in like the last three minutes of the fight. Really exciting. Mercury is crazy good on him Jesus.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How do I get in here? Locked door in Ithryll dungeon. Somewhat close to the first bonfire, down below in a room with a branding iron fucker and angry cages.
https://imgur.com/a/1jFi1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Filthy Monkey posted:

How do I get in here? Locked door in Ithryll dungeon. Somewhat close to the first bonfire, down below in a room with a branding iron fucker and angry cages.
https://imgur.com/a/1jFi1

You need the jailer's key ring. To get it go to the toxic swamp in the Profaned Capital. There's a staircase on the leftside of the big building that leads to a hallway containing the key.

Irthyll Dungeon has like 3 seperate keys to unlock all the doors. Its stupid.