Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Good soup! posted:

drat, that's a tough choice to make.

Should be Karlsson's. Tampa didn't make the playoffs,Burns has a better supporting cast, Karlsson is more important to his team and is measurably one of the biggest difference makers in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Levitate posted:

Should be Karlsson's. Tampa didn't make the playoffs,Burns has a better supporting cast, Karlsson is more important to his team and is measurably one of the biggest difference makers in the league

It's not the hart. Hedman had more points and fancier of stats.

But I agree that karlsson is more instrumental in his own team. Although hedman was the only good defenseman in tampa this year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is interested and local, I'll mention that there's another analytics conference in Ottawa on May 6. The list of presenters is pretty good, includes guys like Vollman, Schuckers, and Pronmann, among others.

http://statsportsconsulting.com/otthac17/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Levitate posted:

San Jose blew this year, Burns carried them as much as Karlsson did Ottawa.

And Ottawa has a much better goalie.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't buy the presumption that coaches are trying to game corsi, especially the idea that they would do so to the exclusion of trying to win games somehow. Like, what's the incentive exactly?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koopa Kid posted:

I don't buy the presumption that coaches are trying to game corsi, especially the idea that they would do so to the exclusion of trying to win games somehow. Like, what's the incentive exactly?

There are arguments to be made that you can design an offensive system that generates a high number of Corsi events but a low number of quality scoring chances. That may not exactly be "gaming Corsi" but it's very similar. LA may be the poster child for this, or it may be that they didn't have good enough offensive players to actually score even though as a team they had great possession numbers.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Koopa Kid posted:

they see that good corsi used to be a predictor of good hockey and mistake correlation for causation.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

grack posted:

There are arguments to be made that you can design an offensive system that generates a high number of Corsi events but a low number of quality scoring chances. That may not exactly be "gaming Corsi" but it's very similar. LA may be the poster child for this, or it may be that they didn't have good enough offensive players to actually score even though as a team they had great possession numbers.

I don't think it's "gaming" it or anything but I think the point that some people miss about something like corsi is that by itself it's not going to mean you're going to score a lot of goals and give up few...you still have to have talent to score the goals and the talent to stop the goals against. I think most advanced stats people know that

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

Is this not a chicken/egg thing though? The Kings had their first run before the stat was even widely accepted, and saying "a coach has deployed strategically flawed systems and got fired" doesn't also mean that corsi has no correlative value anymore.

The Kings are also a terrible example because they did really well and then their key guys got old, oh well.

violent sex idiot posted:

they see that good corsi used to be a predictor of good hockey and mistake correlation for causation.

I guess but this feels like another straw man argument about the fictional team that generates all shots from the outside or whatever, and I think it's a misunderstanding of how coaches operate.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Good soup! posted:

drat, that's a tough choice to make.

its burns

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Koopa Kid posted:

The Kings are also a terrible example because they did really well and then their key guys got old, oh well.

That's why I added the "or" to that statement. The Kings' main offensive players had horrendous shooting percentages this year even though, as a team, they still generated a lot of shots.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

Russell is fuckin bad rear end

Agreed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I enjoyed Bylsma smugly saying if he wanted a better corsi he'd have his team shoot at the net from his own end own end or whatever

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

See Saves in baseball. Tie game and the opponent has the bases loaded late? Definitely not the time to use your best reliever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alright boys try to take fewer shots so our opponent's 5v5 corsi looks bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Alright boys try to take fewer shots so our opponent's 5v5 corsi looks bad.

Crap you figured out the Devils' strategy

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

My team has been eliminated so I am now free to cheer for the chaos option and root for the team that will bring the most misery to everyone else.

Go Leafs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

My team has been eliminated so I am now free to cheer for the chaos option and root for the team that will bring the most misery to everyone else.

Go Leafs.

post avatar combo right here. you are a terrible person

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Toronto.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

(This is why)

https://streamable.com/cbfxp

nsfw if you have knees

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Kadri is human poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Normally I'd say Wilson should be punching him in his loving face but we need Tom out of the penalty box now more than ever.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Go Leafs.

Hmm I'm pretty sure a Bruins win is worse

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
How dare he legally hip check Ovie.

HOW DARE HE.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Benson Cunningham posted:

HOW DARE HE.

it was clipping

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HOW DARE HE.

That was not legal.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm no expert but I don't think launching your hip into the other dude's knee is what you would consider a "hip check"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

he kind of went knee on knee on #88 right before that too. what a poo poo head

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody in the league anymore actually does a legal hip check. They're always too low, dangerously impacting the knee.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Cross posting from the GDT:
https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/855571644902932480

Yeah, that's no good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovi back on ice somehow. :stare:

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

HOW DARE HE.

That was 100% clipping

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

The Caps have some of that soccer spray in the locker room

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

violent sex idiot posted:

he kind of went knee on knee on #88 right before that too. what a poo poo head

He did. He's an rear end.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Man, Ovie on the receiving end of a borderline play? Weird.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Go Leafs.

This didnt take long to become reality.

I think I should try again.

Go Ottawa.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

This didnt take long to become reality.

I think I should try again.

Go Ottawa.

Wideman just took out Krejci's knee about 4 minutes ago.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Cartoon Man posted:

It's almost like his injury wasn't anywhere near as severe as his reaction to it made it out to be.

Edit: As a pens fan, maybe it is just more obvious to me when someone who is paid a lot of money is hamming it up.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 22, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Look, Im using my powers for good Im sorry you cant see it this way.

Go Sens some more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

It's almost like his injury wasn't anywhere near as severe as his reaction to it made it out to be.

Edit: As a pens fan, maybe it is just more obvious to me when someone who is paid a lot of money is hamming it up.
You're an idiot.

• Locked thread