Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whoa now, don't go posting fanart and talking nice about the game. You might inspire me to make another playthrough of Conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

How can you say Arthur is the best when Effie is right here?

i remember Arthur's gimmick, and it's good as heck. also he has interesting supports and i like how he's basically Captain America working for the bad guys but still being virtuous.

Basically he's the only actual hint of nuance in this game, I let him marry whoops this might be spoilers and they have a good support chain

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 22, 2017

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
In my first Conquest playthrough, Effie and a later character had a very close race to see who would end up with more strength at the end of the game, it was unfortunately cut short when Effie rammed into the General's strength cap.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Yaaay! We did it! GO TEAM!
I can't believe we actually won. Amazing! Now to make our way through this forest and head to the Ice Tribe Village.
it's such a dark forest, though... I hope we don't lose our way.
Worry not, milady. I'm more then happy to guide us from here. I've made it my business to know every inch of our kingdom like the back of my hand.

Felicia here would make a comment about how she knows the path because, you know, she's from the Ice Tribe.

It would be my pleasure. Please, follow me.

*As the group leaves, someone pops out from the marsh*

I really, really hate that Iago is still the sub-boss of the campaign.

And after I went through all that trouble to summon a Faceless army! This is Prince Xander's fault, the traitor. Though King Garon is not without blame...

Because Garon is actively trolling Corrine.

It is truly beyond my understanding. Luckily he has me to set things right.
That's right, Corrine. Enjoy this brief respite, heh heh heh.
Hell is waiting for you as soon as you leave this forest. Prepare to suffer and die!

Class and Character Overview

Knights

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR, +4 DEF
Weapon rank: Lances (A)

Skills: (lvl 1) Defence +2
(lvl 10) Natural Cover-When user fights in terrain with terrain effects, damage received -3 during battles

Knights are physical walls, and both their skills double down on that concept. Interestingly, they are the only base class that can reach A rank in a weapon. Not that it matters unless you do a ton of grinding without promoting, but it's a weird quirk.

Fighter

Pair-up Bonus: +4 STR, +2 SPD
Weapon rank: Axes (B)

Skills: (lvl 1) Maximum HP +5
(lvl 10) Gamble-Hit rate -10, Critical rate +10

Gamble is an awful skill. Fighters already have shaky hit rates, and axes have shaky hit rates so doubling down on that is pretty bad unless you're a monster like Scarlet who came with a super high Skill base.

Troubadour

Pair-up Bonus: +2 MAG/LCK/RES
Weapon rank: Staves (B)

Skills: (lvl 1) Resistance +2
(lvl 10) Demoiselle-Male allies within a 2 tile radius receive 2 less damage during battles

Free damage reduction is always good, although slightly worse in this specific case because the best tanks are Elise and Corrine who won't benefit from the ability. Otherwise, healer on a horse is always awesome 99% of the time.

Effie

Class sets: Starts as Knight, Troubadour
PSkill: Puissance-When user’s Strength is 5 or more points higher than the enemy’s Strength, damage +3 during battle

Growth Rates
HP: 55
STR: 80
MAG: 0
SKL: 50
SPD: 55
LCK: 60
DEF: 55
RES: 30

Effie has pretty good speed growths, but her base speed is low enough that it'll end up being a slow Knight as usual. Her PSkill is reliable enough to activate considering her massive strength growth is only rivaled by +STR boon Corrine.

I have no idea why you would switch her to her alt class other than specifically picking up Tomebreaker in the very, very late game.

Arthur

Class sets: Starts as Fighter, Cavalier
PSkill: Misfortunate-Enemies within a 2 tile radius have their Critical Evade reduced by 15, while the user’s Critical Evade is reduced by 5

Growth Rates
HP: 70
STR: 65
MAG: 0
SKL: 70
SPD: 50
LCK: 10
DEF: 50
RES: 20

Arthur has excellent growths that are downplayed by the fact that he is a walking bomb of self-destruction in every battle. His awful luck combined with what is ultimately a bad PSkill for survival really makes him worse than he is. Fortunately, he does have natural access to a great class in Cavalier.

Elise

Class sets: Starts as Troubadour, Wyvern Rider
PSkill: Lily’s Poise-Adjacent allies deal 1 extra damage and received 3 less damage

Growth Rates
HP: 30
STR: 5
MAG: 75
SKL: 45
SPD: 65
LCK: 85
DEF: 15
RES: 55

I know I say this a lot and for the future, but Elise is MIN-MAX to the MIN-MAX. She is the most likely to cap three stats and then gain nothing for the next five remaining levels.

Her PSkill is decent, but in practice not too great because it puts her in danger of ranged units on the defensive end when supporting walls.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Elise trained at the Lilina school of Caps Magic Stupid Fast.

Effie, meanwhile, went to the Oswin school of Knights With Decent Speed.

And Arthur is actually a good example of gameplay/story intergration: Arthur has terrible luck as a character, and he has terrible Luck as a unit!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
not having Arthur stay as a Fighter the whole time sounds sacrilegious

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
80% strength growth is absolutely insane

also my problem with elise is that she is an absolute wet tissue in terms of never ever gaining enough to not die in almost one hit from everything, and also if her 45% skill growth doesn't kick in prepare to never have her land a single friggin spell when she promotes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Effie may not be doubling anything, but I find she tends to gain enough speed to avoid being doubled by things too, which is a plus since her strength means she'll often kill things attacking her making room for more attackers.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Arthur is fantastic, which makes me sad because I've never liked him as a unit. I generally prefer the fighter you get later, if I'm gonna use a fighter at all.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One of Conquest's small mercies is that it gives you the most enjoyable royal and retainers right off the bat. Arthur's easily the most fun character in the game, and all three of them are pretty solid units to boot (though Arthur's life becomes a lot easier if you change him to anything else).

Endorph posted:

I like seeing them in casual clothes, more than anything.

It's kind of sad that, outside of the royals, there's a dearth of fanart for this game, even though this isn't technically fanart. The world deserves more Arthur, and Effie is pretty dang cool too.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Arthur is fantastic, which makes me sad because I've never liked him as a unit. I generally prefer the fighter you get later, if I'm gonna use a fighter at all.

Arthur is odd, because he has just enough defensive growth that all his crit manipulation and low crit evade can lead to a high risk, high reward system of bait enemy, get crit, counter with your own, hope no one else is in range to go for a second shot. And it works so well with his character. He has terrible luck, but is tough enough to take the consequences.

Of course, not having to take the crit may be preferable in the long run, and maybe critting in return is not necessary or not enough to overcome the tactical problems of low health after getting crit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

How Rude posted:

80% strength growth is absolutely insane

also my problem with elise is that she is an absolute wet tissue in terms of never ever gaining enough to not die in almost one hit from everything, and also if her 45% skill growth doesn't kick in prepare to never have her land a single friggin spell when she promotes
The best solution to Elise's stats is to snag a Horse Spirit from the My Castle Visit Bonuses or pray you get one from the Museum Melee map. Even with a base damage of 4, Elise's absolutely insane Magic is going to make up for it. Couple with it being a D rank scroll and giving +3 to several stats she desperately needs (Skill and Defense mostly), and Elise can nuke almost everything with a magical orange horse ghost thingie.

But yes, Team Elise is a fun band of characters. Effie is a wonderful shitwrecking tank, Arthur has some of the best supports in the game (and a great vocal performance by Cam Clarke), and Elise is a bundle of fun and entertainment.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

not having Arthur stay as a Fighter the whole time sounds sacrilegious

That's why he can get strong enough to reach his true calling by promoting into a Hero.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a way to get a horse spirit in conquest naturally so don't worry about it.

Also in general I enjoy the Nohr royals and retainers as they are for the most part really good characters.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Emperordaein posted:

That's why he can get strong enough to reach his true calling by promoting into a Hero.

As much as berserkers are generally better than heroes, it feels weird to not turn Arthur into a hero.

Also, I just remembered Arthur's one true weakness: He's not wearing a thong like fighters are supposed to.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

inthesto posted:

As much as berserkers are generally better than heroes, it feels weird to not turn Arthur into a hero.

Also, I just remembered Arthur's one true weakness: He's not wearing a thong like fighters are supposed to.
Oh, Arthur is definitely wearing the default Fighter garb. He just added a cape, a fancy belt buckle and a blue jumpsuit underneath it to make himself look more heroic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Felicia and Arthur are made for each other, personality wise. I think their support is actually quite good too

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

As dumb as Conquest is, I think team Nohr is just so much better personality wise that it ends up at least making the stupidity quite enjoyable. Also I'm pretty sure nothing on Conquest can top the deaths of Kaze and Flora on Birthright.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Arthur's greatest use is as a pair of pants for Effie. He gives her a lot more strength, helping her PSkill, on top of keeping her from being susceptible to Dual Strikes. Pairing them like that is why I was able to win one of the more infamous Conquest chapters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Same. They're kinda liable to just pick up another unit and use them as a weapon, they turn out so well pretty much every time.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Pretty sure my character reviews still stand for the units we've already seen in Birthright, so I'll just continue on with the new ones (minus personality, since I haven't gotten to Conquest yet).

Elise - She is a pure healer, and you'd better be satisfied with that since she has practically no growths beyond the standard medic set... which makes her choice of secondary class bewildering, since she has almost literally no Strength growth.

Arthur - He seems like he could be a pretty solid unit, if you can get past his personal skill and his near-complete lack of Luck. He seems to be rather shaky starting out, though.

Effie - Astoundingly high Strength, pretty good Skill and Speed (especially for a Knight), but she seems surprisingly fragile when you consider how Knight is generally THE tank class (or maybe I'm just spoiled by Awakening's growths). I guess you could just about call her the anti-Rinkah?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

effie has the third or fourth highest defense growth in conquest and a great base, iunno how you could call her fragile.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Effie has absolutely absurd growths, and when I looked at the chart of growth rates, I saw her row and immediately said "yes this is my baby momma"

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

effie has the third or fourth highest defense growth in conquest and a great base, iunno how you could call her fragile.

Like I said, maybe I was spoiled by Awakening, but anything below 70% HP and 60% Defense seems bad on a Knight to me.

Of course, keep in mind that the growths Tae's posting include class growths, which means Effie's base Defense growth is only 35% (around average for playable units, I think).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mozu's paralogue is available, but I'm going to save that for later EXP farming. Doing it now is a bit of a waste because I'm short two party members for that deployment.

WEAR SOME SHOES

The colder it gets, the closer we are. It won't be long until we arrive. The cold air is quite refreshing! I rather enjoy it, don't you?
"Enjoy" is not exactly the word I would use. I can hardly feel my fingers anymore. They'll be frozen before long.
Are you that cold, milady? I'm so sorry, I didn't realize.

Makes a little more sense with Felicia since she's Ice Tribe. Here, Jakob is just a weirdo. Well, more than usual.

I shall take the lead. Here I go! *Sprints*
He's so fast! JAKOOOB! WAIT FOR MEEE!
Lady Elise, slow down! You mustn't get ahead of the group!
They're gone!
Woah!

*A sudden snow storm obscured their view*

I believe so. But...it looks like we've been separated from the others.
drat, you're right! We have to find them and quickly!
Don't worry, Corrine. Jakob knows this area well, so they should be fine.
Honestly, I'm more concerned about the two of us... We must keep pushing forward before we freeze to death.
Very true. We better hurry before the path Jakob showed us is covered in snow.

*Silas and Corrine struggle through the snow storm*

Jakob said it gets colder the closer you get to the Ice Tribe village. We must be on the right track. Right, Silas?
So it would seem.
We must carry on. But my mind is...suddenly...hazy... And I can't...feel my...legs...

*Corrine falls*

S-sorry, Silas. I'm fine, really. I just...fell a little. No big deal... Are you sleepy? I'm suddenly...so very...so very sleepy...
Corrine, no! Please, stay with me! You must not fall asleep!
I'll get up soon, Elise. Just five more...minutes... Xander can wait.........
Corrine?
Corrine!

What the...?

*A man approaches them*

*Time passes*

Arghh... Whaaa...
Corrine! Thank goodness... For a while there, I thought I'd lost you.
Silas? What happened? I remember falling, and then everything went black. More importantly, where are we?

I am Kilma, leader of the Ice Tribe.

Hi, I hope I don't have to murder you again.

Kilma... Thank you for your kindness. It would seem you saved my life. My name is Corrine. I am the second princess of the kingdom of N—
Corrine! You should rest. NOW. You've had a long day.
Silas?
Is something the matter?

Perhaps you would allow her to rest a bit more before we resume the introductions?
...Yes, of course. I'll go prepare something warm to drink. Please excuse me. *leaves*

Silas is working overtime already in Conquest because Corrine does not know how to shut the gently caress up.

Silas, what was all that about? I feel fine.
Don't forget yourself, my milady. It could prove deadly.
I know all of this is new to you, but don't forget we came to suppress a rebellion. That means the Ice Tribe is disgruntled with the actions of the Kingdom of Nohr. In other words, we are their enemy.

The Ice Tribe talks a big talk about rebellion, but they folded instantly in Birthright when threatened so meh.

It's simply a bad idea, old friend.
Sound advice, Silas. You're right. I forgot myself for a moment.
Understandable for one who barely made it back to the land of the living. But we must exercise caution, or neither of us will ever see home again.

Who is this Silas, I don't recognize him

Such is the world we live in, I'm afraid. I must say, you truly have a remarkable knack for getting into trouble. I never thought this is how we'd breach the village. What should we do now?

Th-thank you very much.
You know, I usually would not allow strangers into my village like this. However, I made an exception for you two. It's that sword you carry, Corrine. That golden blade looks just like that of the hero of legend...

My Yato... A legendary sword... Well, it's a nice thought.

I can't tell if she's playing dumb or actually doesn't think the Yato is legendary considering two seconds ago.

As you can imagine, I simply couldn't abandon you after I saw that blade. Who knows, maybe you are the hero the world has been waiting for. If so, then there's a chance we will one day break free from those cruel Norhians.
If you'll excuse me, I believe I've babbled on about old Ice Tribe legends long enough. Ah, it looks like my daughter has finally arrived. Allow me to introduce you...

Wait, let me step back a but before you self-immolate again

What the... Flora?! What are you doing here?
I could ask you the same thing. And I shall. Why are you here, my liege?

This isn't good...

No, it's fine. We can still get out of this

Sister! Yaaay, I knew you'd make it!
Elise!
What a relief! I was so worried once I realized we had gotten separated.

Don't tell me Felicia is here too...
No, she's not. I came alone. Why did you and the others follow me here?
Nonsense. Whyever would we follow you? I didn't even know you were here.
Yeah, that's right! We got here all by ourselves!

Maybe not being able to shut up is genetic

WHAT?!
Elise, why would you say that?!
Huh? What do you mean? It's not a secret. Wait...doesn't suppress mean... You know, that we ask them to please stop rebelling? And maybe eat dinner together?
Elise, you don't understand. It's not that easy.

You monsters tricked me into helping you so so you could infiltrate my village.

Well, technically, that was your fault.

I promise you, that was not our intention.
Don't play dumb. Such childish games do not befit a princess, even one of Nohr.
I know how you Nohrians operate. Well, so be it. Flora! You know what must be done.
Yes, father. I will sound the alarm right away. The Nohrians have infiltrated our village. They must be expelled immediately. And permanently.

Great. You know, I'm fighting a lot of the same people despite being on the complete opposite route. Seems a bit disappointing so far.

I have no choice, Jakob. You wouldn't understand. The Nohrians... War is the only language they understand. Side with them and you'll pay the price!
That could have gone better... Be on your guard, Corrine!

Yes, Flora and the Ice Tribe will kill Felicia as well if this was Corrin instead.

This is a map with a simple Kill Boss objective, but a very beneficial side job if you're good enough. Everyone's deployed for this mission, which is another reason to hold off on Mozu's mission because someone would be left out here.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Carlosologist posted:

Felicia and Arthur are made for each other, personality wise. I think their support is actually quite good too

Thiiiiiiis. I literally can't imagine them with anyone else at this point. Stats/minmaxing be damned.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
To be fair, we don't know that they instantly folded, just that Kilma is most definitely not there and probably got brutally murdered.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
At least you can stuff luck stat boosters into Arthur to help slightly alleviate his luck problems as a unit. It's not like they're in super high demand for other units.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Arthur is pretty much Captain America and it's great.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Obligatum VII posted:

At least you can stuff luck stat boosters into Arthur to help slightly alleviate his luck problems as a unit. It's not like they're in super high demand for other units.

It does help that IntSys gave the Luck stat boosters +4 Luck instead of just +2.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Elise is probably the best healer in the game in her base class. Mounted healers are great, and Elise gains so much magic that her staves heal for a mammoth amount.

I always have problems using knight class characters, but Effie's sheer power makes up for her low movement speed. In addition, Effie makes a fine pair with Jakob since his passives and support skills work well with her weaknesses.

Arthur is the best, but constantly having a 1-3% chance to eat a crit is like nails on a chalkboard. I know he can take the hits, but what if he eats two crits back to back? Aahhhh...

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Even then Misfortunate is -5 Dodge, so you have to stuff him full of them since his miserable base Luck negates the first one. Misfortunate is just kinda a dumb skill since its effect is overkill on anything other than Spear Masters (who get +10 crit to go with their Dodge!) until endgame, while -5 Dodge is kinda overkill for a dude with 1 base Luck and a 10% growth.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sorbocules posted:

Arthur is odd, because he has just enough defensive growth that all his crit manipulation and low crit evade can lead to a high risk, high reward system of bait enemy, get crit, counter with your own, hope no one else is in range to go for a second shot. And it works so well with his character. He has terrible luck, but is tough enough to take the consequences.

Of course, not having to take the crit may be preferable in the long run, and maybe critting in return is not necessary or not enough to overcome the tactical problems of low health after getting crit.

Arthur works best as an offensive glass cannon. The enemy being more likely to crit him doesnt matter if they die instantly first. He's definitely pretty rocky without some luck boosters though, not that anyone else needs them.

CptWedgie posted:

Elise - She is a pure healer, and you'd better be satisfied with that since she has practically no growths beyond the standard medic set... which makes her choice of secondary class bewildering, since she has almost literally no Strength growth.

Its actually deceptively good on her, provided you are willing to axe one of your two healers at this point. It provides her with enough bulk that she doesnt instantly die to a stiff breeze, the bonus strength skill will make it workable but not great for a bit, but once you can get a bolt axe into her hands or promote to malig knight she can put her still massive magic to work as a highly mobile bulky mage.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Arthur works best as an offensive glass cannon. The enemy being more likely to crit him doesnt matter if they die instantly first. He's definitely pretty rocky without some luck boosters though, not that anyone else needs them.

Thanks to my most recent playthrough of Conquest on a harder difficulty, I'd argue Arthur works best as what is essentially a really dope backpack for my other units. Any speedy and weak character loves his strength bonuses when paired up, plus you get supports involving Arthur fairly easily, which is an award in and out of itself imo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C-B-A

What?! But...I'm an adult now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Elise having wyvern rider as her second class makes a lot of sense plotwise.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I tried to use Arthur in my run because I instantly loved his character, but Effie proc'd Speed nearly every single level... and he makes for a really good stat backpack for her. For the same reason I also made him a Berserker instead of a Hero. Sorry, Arthur, maybe someday I'll use you for real.

I also find it amusing that they made the playable male Fighter in Conquest wear tights under the class's usual corset and thong.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Last Celebration posted:

Even then Misfortunate is -5 Dodge, so you have to stuff him full of them since his miserable base Luck negates the first one. Misfortunate is just kinda a dumb skill since its effect is overkill on anything other than Spear Masters (who get +10 crit to go with their Dodge!) until endgame, while -5 Dodge is kinda overkill for a dude with 1 base Luck and a 10% growth.

Sure, you may have to use all your luck boosters on him, but that also gives the mental image of Arthur being plastered with good luck charms, and that's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Its actually deceptively good on her, provided you are willing to axe one of your two healers at this point. It provides her with enough bulk that she doesnt instantly die to a stiff breeze, the bonus strength skill will make it workable but not great for a bit, but once you can get a bolt axe into her hands or promote to malig knight she can put her still massive magic to work as a highly mobile bulky mage.

40% HP growth and 35% def growth seems more like you got lucky to make her bulky.

• Locked thread