Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's commonly believed the blue and white of the BMW logo represents a spinning propeller due to the companies history building airplane engines. The colors actually represent the colors of the Bavarian flag.
In fairness, they didn't help matters by using that very image (the roundel merged with a spinning prop) in one of their own adverts in the 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

I didn't drive anywhere

So? Next challenge.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The mid 90s Mazda logo is actually called Ahura's flame and is based on some zoroastrian stuff that I won't look up now but I'm sure is on Wikipedia.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Next Challenge:

:siren:Your car parked in front of your favorite restaurant of the cars origin country:siren:
Japanese - Japanese restaurant | German - German restaurant | American - steakhouse aka American etc
NO FAST FOOD - Preferably not a chain unless local chain

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
drat; there's no such thing as an Australian restaurant.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

~Coxy posted:

Then start your barbeque!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

~Coxy posted:

Just take a photo at the beach with some shrimps on the barbie...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

~Coxy posted:

"Australian" but chain restaurant...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

~Coxy posted:

Yes there is. It's called Bunnings - now get out there and take the picture

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's commonly believed the blue and white of the BMW logo represents a spinning propeller due to the companies history building airplane engines. The colors actually represent the colors of the Bavarian flag.

If this doesn't count since I didn't drive anywhere I apologize but hey not often you get to use the big propeller sitting in the living room for something.

I so had this one in the bag (so I thought).

Can I at least have a point for creativity?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the Toyota logo is some corporate baloney about unity that doesn't have a direct namesake.... But apparently some people say it looks like a guy wearing a sombrero.

Unfortunately, I don't own a sombrero.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

angryrobots posted:

So the Toyota logo is some corporate baloney about unity that doesn't have a direct namesake.... But apparently some people say it looks like a guy wearing a sombrero.

Unfortunately, I don't own a sombrero.

Well, lucky for you, sombrero is a Spanish word, and it means 'hat'. Only we dirty gringo's refer to that one specific type of hat as a sombrero. I bet you own a hat.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes there is. It's called Bunnings - now get out there and take the picture

Great idea; it will have to wait until Saturday morning though as they won't be BBQing now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Locator posted:

Well, lucky for you, sombrero is a Spanish word, and it means 'hat'. Only we dirty gringo's refer to that one specific type of hat as a sombrero. I bet you own a hat.

You are correct but I think it needs to be the sort of hat that a gringo refers to as a sombrero.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

angryrobots posted:

I like any post that uses a prop.

This needs more love.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

iospace posted:

This needs more love.

It does. It was brilliant af. :golfclap:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

Next Challenge:

:siren:Your car parked in front of your favorite restaurant of the cars origin country:siren:
Japanese - Japanese restaurant | German - German restaurant | American - steakhouse aka American etc
NO FAST FOOD - Preferably not a chain unless local chain

Our smart fortwo was built in France, and The Pump House in Victoria, Texas is a French restaurant.

We good? :ohdear:

:pcgaming: :siren: NEXT CHALLENGE: Post a photo of your vehicle near some donuts (not doing donuts, I mean the food) or other pastries. I SAID DONUTS SO THERE HAD BETTER BE MORE THAN ONE IN THE PHOTO :siren: :pcgaming:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 21, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bring on the next challenge

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

~Coxy posted:

There used to be this sweet place in Atlanta called the Australian Bakery. It was there that I had my first (and last, please) steak and kidney pie.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

~Coxy posted:

There's a place in Winnipeg called Billabong where you can get kangaroo nachos. Peak Australian?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

:pcgaming: :siren: NEXT CHALLENGE: Post a photo of your vehicle near some donuts (not doing donuts, I mean the food) or other pastries. I SAID DONUTS SO THERE HAD BETTER BE MORE THAN ONE IN THE PHOTO :siren: :pcgaming:

On a rainy Friday I decided to drive into downtown Salt Lake to be the office champion and get some delightful donuts. They were out of the Butterfly donut though which is my favorite :argh: bavarian cream and apple fritters will satisfy me today. ignore my hideous snow tire wheel setup. I have not yet changed them over to my summer setup

:siren: NEXT CHALLENGE: Take a picture of a toy car of your real car in front of your real car using a tilt shift filter in as much of a fake artistic shot as possible. Bonus points for real/fake lens flares:siren: :

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:siren: NEXT CHALLENGE: Take a picture of a toy car of your real car in front of your real car using a tilt shift filter in as much of a fake artistic shot as possible. Bonus points for real/fake lens flares:siren: :

How close does this need to be? As in can I use an international variant of one of my vehicles that looks different but has the same frame/drivetrain? ;)
Asking for a friend...

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Sounds okay to me, as long as you paint it to look like yours :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Siochain posted:

How close does this need to be? As in can I use an international variant of one of my vehicles that looks different but has the same frame/drivetrain? ;)
Asking for a friend...

As an example, if you have a Pontiac GTO and you have a Holden Monaro as the toy car that is good to go. Badge engineering is a go.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
[quote="Somewhat Heroic" post="471594894"]

Speaking as someone who lives by *the* Banbury Cross, WTF is a "Banbury Cross" restaurant?!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
And why is is a rocking horse on the logo?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

meltie posted:

[quote="Somewhat Heroic" post="471594894"]

Speaking as someone who lives by *the* Banbury Cross, WTF is a "Banbury Cross" restaurant?!

InitialDave posted:

And why is is a rocking horse on the logo?

It's a cavalcade of questions wherein the answer is donuts. It's not that difficult.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's a cavalcade of questions wherein the answer is donuts. It's not that difficult.

Someone post me a box of those donuts and initialdave and I will hold a UK:AI meet up to eat them at the ACTUAL banbury cross.

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 22, 2017

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Does this work?

if so, :pcgaming: :siren: NEXT CHALLENGE: Provide us a photo of your vehicle parked next to several pairs of shoes. The shoes may be any style you like but there must be more than three pairs. :siren: :pcgaming:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 22, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

On a rainy Friday I decided to drive into downtown Salt Lake to be the office champion and get some delightful donuts. They were out of the Butterfly donut though which is my favorite :argh: bavarian cream and apple fritters will satisfy me today. ignore my hideous snow tire wheel setup. I have not yet changed them over to my summer setup

:siren:NEXT CHALLENGE: take a picture of your car at a "welcome to" state or country sign! :siren:

e:f;b

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Late entry in case the previous one don't count.

E: FB oh well, leaving this here

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Does this work?
:bravo: this warms my soul and goes beyond my wildest dreams.

Bajaha posted:

Late entry in case the previous one don't count.

E: FB oh well, leaving this here

I applaud both of you on fine representations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

if so, :pcgaming: :siren: NEXT CHALLENGE: Provide us a photo of your vehicle parked next to several pairs of shoes. The shoes may be any style you like but there must be more than three pairs. :siren: :pcgaming:

I honestly figured this one would be met within minutes so I didn't bother moving my lazy arse out of my chair to do it... but what the hell, have some shoes. Also, I really need to wash my car.

Because I'm a terribly un-inventive person, and because his picture was awesome, I'll just let HandlingByJebus challenge stand as the next challenge:

HandlingByJebus posted:

:siren:NEXT CHALLENGE: take a picture of your car at a "welcome to" state or country sign! :siren:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

The Locator posted:

I honestly figured this one would be met within minutes so I didn't bother moving my lazy arse out of my chair to do it... but what the hell, have some shoes. Also, I really need to wash my car.

Because I'm a terribly un-inventive person, and because his picture was awesome, I'll just let HandlingByJebus challenge stand as the next challenge:

Aw, shucks. :downs:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

HandlingByJebus posted:

:siren:NEXT CHALLENGE: Pretend you're a railfan! Get a photo of your car with the locomotives pulling a FREIGHT train. Passenger isn't my thing. :siren:

Edit: Stationary train is permissible, but it still needs to be freight and include the locomotives!

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 24, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Must the train be moving?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I kind of want to make folks try to chase one down, so... yeah, for now lets say moving. If we don't get anything this weekend I'll back it off to not moving.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Awe gently caress. I misread, I thought I was just looking for the freight cars, not the loco itself.

Courtesy of lucky timing and misreading the challenge, not an entry since I'm an idiot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

:siren:NEXT CHALLENGE: Pretend you're a railfan! Get a photo of your car with the locomotives pulling a FREIGHT train. Passenger isn't my thing. :siren:

Could you find a worse better sign for MA? Crooked + Vodka bottle on the ground? Maybe some empty Oxy scrip bottles? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Could you find a worse better sign for MA? Crooked + Vodka bottle on the ground? Maybe some empty Oxy scrip bottles? :lol:

Seems appropriate, I'd need to drink heavily before going to Mass seemed like a good idea. :v:

• Locked thread