Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

Yup, and even as "recently" as the early 90s there's some interview with Mark Hamill/etc. about what Lucas was planning if he were to do 7/8/9.

If I remember right, the original idea was for ep 6 to be about rescuing Han and then 7-9 would be about the conflict between Luke and Vader. But the plan for three more sequels got scrapped and the Luke-Vader story got lumped into 6, which is why RotJ feels like two separate movies kinda pasted together imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This one's interesting too, Hamill talking about him and Lucas' discussions about what is basically The Force Awakens and how Lucas wants to do it around 2011 in an interview from 1983.

I can't find this other one from the 90s but it was pretty interesting as it went into some detail about stuff that is still not known in the actual sequels like what went wrong with Luke's new Jedi order and stuff.

euphronius posted:

Possibly. My bad memory though tells me that wasn't kershners goal at all.

Probably, but surely Lucas' voice would be the movie still, didn't he have final cut and oversee the entire production even if he wasn't technically directing?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 19, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdXlQ3WUFZk

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

homullus posted:

Lucas had total control over the movie. Total control is not synonymous with "doing everything himself." He wrote the story, directed the art, oversaw the storyboards, oversaw the set design, oversaw the creature creation and modeling, and could cut from the film literally anything he didn't think was good enough (and did!). This is the critical chasm in the George Lucas Killed My Childhood brain damage you have: he had final cut and oversaw everything along the way. There is no plausible explanation for the final cut being good in your fantasy of director primacy. A bad director with bad taste who is also a bad editor with final cut will produce utter garbage movies, because he or she doesn't have to listen to anybody and doesn't know good from bad. You are really overestimating the impact of the director in the Hollywood system. It is an important job, yes, but really about on par with the editor and the lead actor in terms of how enjoyable the movie is going to be, and that's before studio meddling in the final cut (sound work and soundtrack are also tied for a close second, but they are still in second because you can make great movies with no sound). Great lead actors can overcome crap directors (The Sixth Sense, The Rock), especially with a great story and script. The Empire Strikes Back set in modern-day Edmonton on a $10k budget is going to be mediocre at best, even with top actors working for free: the visual storytelling and effects (all Lucas!) carry the load in ESB more than any movie in the OT.

That seems to disregard the possibility that there are many factors that can make for a good scene that are not directly related to Lucas' "vision". Lucas says "do it like X", the director delivers something that includes X, but everything aside from and around that X is still better than what Lucas himself might be able to direct personally.

Say I hire an artist to draw me a beautiful sunset. I give him very specific instructions, like there needs to be a forest here, a lake there, a mountain over there, and so on. While he does that, I also sit down and draw the same scene by myself. In the end you will have one result that may be a bit oddly composited but is still a nice piece of artwork, and one that looks like a toddler's scrawlings because I can't draw a drat thing to save my life. Both still conform to the same general shape and vision, but one's definitely better.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Perestroika posted:

That seems to disregard the possibility that there are many factors that can make for a good scene that are not directly related to Lucas' "vision". Lucas says "do it like X", the director delivers something that includes X, but everything aside from and around that X is still better than what Lucas himself might be able to direct personally.

Say I hire an artist to draw me a beautiful sunset. I give him very specific instructions, like there needs to be a forest here, a lake there, a mountain over there, and so on. While he does that, I also sit down and draw the same scene by myself. In the end you will have one result that may be a bit oddly composited but is still a nice piece of artwork, and one that looks like a toddler's scrawlings because I can't draw a drat thing to save my life. Both still conform to the same general shape and vision, but one's definitely better.

Yes, and then do that a thousand times or so. You have a thousand good sunsets by an artist and a thousand poo poo ones by you. Then give the results to a judge to pick the best 500 for a gallery showing. If you have a good judge, it will probably be mostly good sunsets; if the judge is blind, they will be terrible. In your analogy, George Lucas is the person hiring the artist (control), asking them to come up with some concepts each of the compositional elements (control), choosing the ones he likes (control); the artist draws more than he needs, and he selects the ones he wants for the gallery showing (control). This does not mean that everything good in the movie came from George Lucas, but anything good in the movie would not still be there for you to see without his thinking it was good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Obstacle2 posted:

Some characters gonna die. They are gonna liberate Lothal.

By liberate you mean the Empire is going to glass the place with Star Destroyers and tell everyone there was a mining accident on Jedha- Lothal.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

homullus posted:

the visual storytelling and effects (all Lucas!) carry the load in ESB more than any movie in the OT.

the what what what?

You think the special effects carry the film often considered the best Star Wars film?

I'm onboard with "Lucas isn't a bad filmmaker" but I think this is stepping out on a ledge.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
How many other filmmakers would have tentpoled the success their movie with a muppet?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lucas was important to the original 3 movies and its obviously his property and all but he wasn't yet surrounded by yes men and people who just did as they were told by the recluse of skywalker ranch himself. This is what happened in the prequels, which are garbage movies from head to toe for it. It doesnt matter how much control lucas did or didnt have on ESB, he stil delegated a bunch of responsibility and no surprise, its a better movie for it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

tadashi posted:

the what what what?

You think the special effects carry the film often considered the best Star Wars film?

I'm onboard with "Lucas isn't a bad filmmaker" but I think this is stepping out on a ledge.

Counterpoint: you're contending that the effects aren't one of the most significant aspects of one of the original three Star Wars films?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Somebody please rename to "another loving Star Wars chat thread".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yo I come to this thread to see if any setpics of Poe and Finn kissin' have been leaked yet.

This blah blah Lucas trash is sooo boring, my god.

Seriously though are Poe and Finn gonna gay down in Ep 8?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the thread doesn't have to die in between spoiler posts and baseless speculation/rumor yall. There is no news, sorry you had to read posts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

basic hitler posted:

the thread doesn't have to die in between spoiler posts and baseless speculation/rumor yall. There is no news, sorry you had to read posts.

You can read and post those exact posts in the main Star Wars movie thread. There is no reason to post them here, too. There you'd even get more people contributing.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yo I come to this thread to see if any setpics of Poe and Finn kissin' have been leaked yet.

In a photo they showed at Celebration, Finn not only wearing Poe's jacket but shirt and pants too. He stole the dude's outfit. Or...perhaps he borrowed it. :q:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

basic hitler posted:

I'm sorry too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

no

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

You can read and post those exact posts in the main Star Wars movie thread. There is no reason to post them here, too. There you'd even get more people contributing.

have you read that thing? don't ask anyone to endure that thread ever again. This thread, like the GoT spoiler thread, is better than the main thread.

So if anyone wants to keep talking about how talentless Lucas is between spoiler-laden news i'm totally down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

In a photo they showed at Celebration, Finn not only wearing Poe's jacket but shirt and pants too. He stole the dude's outfit. Or...perhaps he borrowed it. :q:

What is it with black characters in Star Wars stealing their pilot friends clothing???

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Poe and Finn don't hug on stage because they have a special secret handshake that they only do when the adults aren't around.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PltuC4cv1p4

Exciting news fellas! One of the Rebels cartoon characters survives all the way from his Clone Trooper origins to the end of Return of the Jedi. Gotta love that new Lucasfilm Story Group Canon!

In all seriousness, Star Wars Explained is a channel I hate-watch with a passion for how... absurd it all is. I'm sure the guy who runs it is perfectly nice, but... oh, man. He's overly positive and never critical about anything, a lot of the content is petulant nonsense like "All TIE Fighter Types & Variants in Star Wars Canon," or "Why Does Darth Vader Take Orders from Grand Moff Tarkin" or "Are Death Troopers Zombies: A Rogue One Theory" and it's absolute nonsense. All of it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Zeris posted:

Poe and Finn don't hug on stage because they have a special secret handshake that they only do when the adults aren't around.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

homullus posted:

maybe talking to him is an option regardless of what he did

Hmm, yes. We saw this well when Leia told Han to go and bring their son home because she wants to believe there is still good in him.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Hmm, yes. We saw this well when Leia told Han to go and bring their son home because she wants to believe there is still good in him.

Yeah, but at the end of Return of the Jedi you are being dumb

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

homullus posted:

Yeah, but at the end of Return of the Jedi you are being dumb

If we want to refer back to the OT then it's just a possible that Luke has had another premonition in which he has seen that his next encounter with Kylo Ren will lead to one or their deaths or something like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why would there even be a question about why Vader takes Tarkin's orders? He's in charge of the project even if Vader is also a big dick, and I think it is fair to say that he is not exactly resistant to being bossed around by older guys based on the other films.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Real-world answer: because Darth Vader wasn't supposed to really be the #2 guy in the Empire when Star Wars was written. In the first 5 minutes you've even got a regular officer back chatting him.

In universe: I dunno, maybe cause he's known Tarkin for 20 years and knows he's not a gently caress-up and lets him do what he thinks is best.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Watch my 3 hour video on why Ben Kenobi seems to think Darth is a first name.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'll confess, I actually enjoy the Star Wars explained videos. Sure, it's over the top, but he does pretty decent reviews for books and comics and episodes. I'm also a sucker for his canon vs legend videos of characters.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dentist toy box posted:

Watch my 3 hour video on why Ben Kenobi seems to think Darth is a first name.

There are plenty of things in Star Wars that are retcons, but I don't think this is one of them. I think it was written in the script with the intent of being spoken as a title, Alec Guinness cared too little about the project to notice, and George Lucas was some combination of "too rushed for time" and "bad at identifying what inflections mean" to figure out what was going on and correct him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

From what we learn of Obi-Wan in the prequel movies/shows he actually is stupid enough to think Darth is a first name.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

From what we learn of Obi-Wan in the prequel movies/shows he actually is stupid enough to think Darth is a first name.

If it cant be drunk or stabbed obiwan doesnt give a poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

If it cant be drunk or stabbed obiwan doesnt give a poo poo.

And as it has been made canonically clear Obi-Wan's all about some drunk stabbin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruoB-qeng28

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People assume Obi-Wan thought Vader's first name was Darth? I thought he was just calling him by his title?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I took his delivery this way too (the same way one would chidingly or sarcastically say "boss" or "sir" or whatever but this is funnier.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
I like to imagine a pre-ESB version of the Jedi who didn't think the Jedi Master Darth Vader would ever betray them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Master Darth sounds like it came from the Wu-Tang name generator.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Next you're gonna tell me Leia's first name isn't Princess.

Or that Wedge Antilles and Dash Rendar are names, and not advice.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Next you're gonna tell me Leia's first name isn't Princess.

Han refers to her as princess multiple times throughout the 3 movies, its clearly her name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Neo Rasa posted:

But Sith Lords were supposed to be his speciality :ohdear:

• Locked thread