Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love METALLYNXMON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It just gets me how bad the sprite work in this game is. I know it's a common problem in fan games because most fangames have the mind set of "Good Enough" and I've only met a few content creators who go "No, that's bugging the gently caress out of me, do it better." They're just so unclean.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My favourite sprite in the game is the boring NPC that somehow wandered into the main character slot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

I love METALLYNXMON.
I read that as

I don't know if that's better or worse

But I could definitely see it in a band of some description
Drums, I suspect

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cattail Prophet posted:

So what happens if you don't have anything in your party that can mega evolve here? Do you just get screwed out of the free stone?
IIRC you get a chance to run back and get something out of the box. It's been ages since I slogged through this though, so don't quote me on that.

Onmi posted:

It just gets me how bad the sprite work in this game is. I know it's a common problem in fan games because most fangames have the mind set of "Good Enough" and I've only met a few content creators who go "No, that's bugging the gently caress out of me, do it better." They're just so unclean.
That and I'd assume most fan game creators handle criticism as poorly as most other fanartists/writers do. "This looks fine! It's just my style! I'd like to see you do better!", etc.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Onmi posted:

The thing that gets me is how inconsistent it is. Like, I can understand if someone wants to make a fangame and they're okay but not great at spriting, and they think 'sure, I'll do it anyway!' and some of the sprite look weird.
But this game has so many artists involved that the art ranges from 'basically okay' to 'what is wrong with this thing' to 'no, seriously, what is wrong with this thing?'

It's just really sad that there actually are a couple of new sprites in every update that have people in the thread going 'hey, this thing looks alright', and then there's... everything else. It feels like such a waste. Those (few) people who put in (some) effort deserved a better game than this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I must admit that I kind of like the Key Wizard Staff. Usually key stones are embedded in accessories that belie the true power of the gem inside, like an earring or a bracelet. While that's cool in its own way, there's something satisfying about seeing one put in a place where there's no mistaking it for anything other than a god drat magic jewel. Unfortunately it seems that the creators of Pokemon Uranium didn't share my enthusiasm for it, considering that they forgot to take the placeholder for it out of the script:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Not understanding the phrasing on Last Resort. Only usable if user has used all other moves once a turn? Do they just mean used once this battle?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Not understanding the phrasing on Last Resort. Only usable if user has used all other moves once a turn? Do they just mean used once this battle?

Yeah, you have to use all 3 other moves at least once in the battle before you can use it.

Or cheese it by only having Last Resort in your movepool. I'm a little surprised Uranium didn't do this tbh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

The thing that gets me is how inconsistent it is. Like, I can understand if someone wants to make a fangame and they're okay but not great at spriting, and they think 'sure, I'll do it anyway!' and some of the sprite look weird.

See: Pokemon Quartz, which is (usually) charming in its badness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

It's more effective if the Pokemon also knows Cut. :B

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

Yeah, you have to use all 3 other moves at least once in the battle before you can use it.

Or cheese it by only having Last Resort in your movepool. I'm a little surprised Uranium didn't do this tbh.

They need to know at least 1 other move. Game Freak thought ahead and made it fail if it's the only move the Pokemon knows.

How exactly does that AI script work? Some of the advanced trainer AI in the official games checks for potential combos built into the AI in the Pokemon's moveset, and would most certainly know about restrictions like the one on Last Resort.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 22, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Fetus posted:

They need to know at least 1 other move. Game Freak thought ahead and made it fail if it's the only move the Pokemon knows.

To be fair, that doesn't mean Uranium did.

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 22, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Zore posted:

This actually taught me something, I thought Last Resort required you to exhaust the PP of all the Pokemon's other moves, based on the official wording. This makes it sound a lot better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Last Resort Choice Scarf Scrappy Stoutland is a fun gimmick, even if it's awful.

Maximum dog.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 22, 2017

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Last Resort Choice Scarf Scrappy Stoutland

Wait, what? How does that work? You wouldn't be able to use it while choiced, it fails if it's the only move the Pokemon knows.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Wait, what? How does that work? You wouldn't be able to use it while choiced, it fails if it's the only move the Pokemon knows.
:doh:

That's what I get for half-remembered PU metagame stuff. I might have been thinking of Fake Out/Last Resort Ambipom?

Edit Yeah, thinking about it, I must have conflated Last Resort Ambipom and Retaliate Stoutland. That, or I'm just an idiot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes posted:

This actually taught me something, I thought Last Resort required you to exhaust the PP of all the Pokemon's other moves, based on the official wording. This makes it sound a lot better.

You're thinking of "Trump Card" which gets more power the less PP it has
4+ - 40
3 - 50
2 - 60
1 - 80
0 - 200

Then there's Power Trip/Stored Power that rely on how many positive Stat buffs you have, which caps out at 860 if all seven (Sp/ATK, Sp/DEF, Speed, Evasion, Accuracy) stats are +6 stages

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wasn't Fake Out/Last Resort Eevee with Adaptability a thing once upon a time?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sounds like something that'd do okay in LC? Probably holding a silk scarf, I'd imagine.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

krisslanza posted:

One of these Plot Points which is so important, it's entirely optional, and changes absolutely nothing for getting it! :v:

Oh hey, the Shinra Mansion basement would like to have a talk with us.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Then there's Power Trip

I had no idea this even existed until just now. Wow, that sure is a super-obscure move that was snuck onto a bunch of garbage mons for no reason. A physical Stored Power is a cool idea and all but if there are any Pokemon who could actually use it it's definitely not Krookodile, Primeape, or Pangoro.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Wasn't Fake Out/Last Resort Eevee with Adaptability a thing once upon a time?

SM gives Eevee a z-stone that turns Last Resort until a +2 stages to all stats move. Not sure Eevee's ever had Fake Out. Fake Out/Last Resort Ambipom was kind of a gimmick once but having only normal as an attack type just leaves the user too easily walled.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vinylshadow posted:

I read that as
I don't know if that's better or worse

But I could definitely see it in a band of some description
Drums, I suspect

I read that as

https://youtu.be/kyZ7ss7JpzM

METAL LYNX

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Vinylshadow posted:

You're thinking of "Trump Card" which gets more power the less PP it has

No, I'm well aware of Trump Card, I just literally didn't understand the function of Last Resort until it was explained in the thread. Game Freak could have done a better job explaining what the move does. I mean, granted, I've never really used any of the Pokemon that learn Last Resort (at least not in the gens since the move was introduced), so it was never anything I had any reason to look into.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Scarodactyl posted:

But what if we pushed it in the other direction?

(seriously though I was expecting something more like this from the description).

I kinda want that as an AV now that is some excellent gif work

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I honestly didn't know that Mega Evolution, unlike Gen 6 where you usually get it not that far in the game, came near the end of Uranium. That really doesn't help with the starters' evolution problem and probably makes it worse in my opinion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

How exactly does that AI script work? Some of the advanced trainer AI in the official games checks for potential combos built into the AI in the Pokemon's moveset, and would most certainly know about restrictions like the one on Last Resort.

From what I remember, it does a lot of damage estimation and only does things besides attacking moves if it doesn't estimate enough damage. It does have a thing for Fake Out, at least.

There's also a variable for trainers called Skill that determines how smart they play, mostly knowing type matchups and being better at damage estimation.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What's the range? I mean, I presume 1-100, but for all I know it's 1-200, and 100 is 'average' and 200 is 'psychic counter-plays'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LAY-ZX posted:

I had no idea this even existed until just now. Wow, that sure is a super-obscure move that was snuck onto a bunch of garbage mons for no reason. A physical Stored Power is a cool idea and all but if there are any Pokemon who could actually use it it's definitely not Krookodile, Primeape, or Pangoro.

It's apparently hilarious on Krook because of Moxie. Even more so if you can figure out how to get some speed boosts on him.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Prism posted:

To be fair, that doesn't mean Uranium did.

I think you're overestimating the Uranium devs here. Other than their own original moves, they didn't do the programming for a single one in the game, they were included in a package of scripts called Pokemon Essentials for rpgmaker xp. There's a ton of fangames for the engine out there, all using it as a baseline.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pyro Jack posted:

I honestly didn't know that Mega Evolution, unlike Gen 6 where you usually get it not that far in the game, came near the end of Uranium. That really doesn't help with the starters' evolution problem and probably makes it worse in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the starters' second stage BSTs are on par with the final ones for the conventional games, not to play devil's advocate or whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

It's apparently hilarious on Krook because of Moxie. Even more so if you can figure out how to get some speed boosts on him.
Moxie Krookodile in general is pretty :unsmigghh:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Reminds me of Razer from Robot Wars.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Last Celebration posted:

I'm pretty sure the starters' second stage BSTs are on par with the final ones for the conventional games, not to play devil's advocate or whatever.

They're higher across the board than any official starter.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So the most I've ever played Pokemon is super casual singleplayer Red. What the gently caress does it mean when a move increases something by a "stage"? Does a 100 [STAT] become a 101? A 110? Something completely different?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

So the most I've ever played Pokemon is super casual singleplayer Red. What the gently caress does it mean when a move increases something by a "stage"? Does a 100 [STAT] become a 101? A 110? Something completely different?

A stage is 50% of base. If you go up a full 6 stages its at 400% of where you started.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

A stage is when it says 'pikachu's attack went up'
two stages is when 'pikachu's attack went sharply up'

Each is worth 50% going up as a multiplier (100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300%, 350%, 400%)

Going down it's a little more complicated
2/2, 2/3, 2/4, 2/5, 2/6, 2/7, 2/8
100%, 66%, 50%, 40%, 33%, 28%, 25%

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Stages go 6 in either direction, +6 to -6, up by 50% each, and that increasing denominator like Tunicate posted on its way down.

I can't just say Howl increases attack by 50%, because -1 is 66% and Howling out of that goes back to 100%, not 116%, and Charming something from +4 goes from 300% to 200%, then to 100%, then to 50%, then to 33%.

Accuracy and Evasion also work by the same range but I've never really looked into how, since +1 accuracy off of Hone Claws is enough to counteract Hustle and +1 evasion is enough for me to say gently caress you, you piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Accuracy and Evasion changed its multipliers every gen until 5 where they seem to have settled.

The easiest way to see the pattern is 0 is 3/3 and going into the minus increases the second number by 1 each time, so 3/4, 3/5, etc, while boosting the stat increases the top number by one each time, 4/3, 5/3, etc. The same applies for the six stats, but replace the initial 3s with 2s and you'll get the same pattern (2/3, 2/4, etc, or 3/2, 4/2, etc)

Also, accuracy and evasion are simply the reverse of each other and do not go over +6 or -6 combined, so a Pokemon with -6 accuracy attacking a Pokemon with +6 evasion will simply have -6 accuracy instead of -12 like it technically should.

• Locked thread