Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This Island Earth is an amazing movie because the plot is basically "Beefstick scientist goes to a scientist retreat -> retreat get blown up, beefstick and love interest get kidnapped by aliens -> everyone arrives at the alien home planet -> Then they leave and go home".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
It really is a great entry into the series. You get a mix of the old with Doctor Forester and the new with Mike. It also helps that it is super quotable.

"But I'm not an alien!"

"Breach Hull All Die. Huh! Even had it underlined."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Joel/Mike & the bots weren't nearly as active in the theater as Jonah and the bots are, right? Even excluding Servo flying around it seems like they're doing more while watching the film. Which catches me off guard because I tend to ignore the silhouettes when watching the movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm experiencing a sensation altogether new to me... and I LOVE IT!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rydiafan posted:

The movie is amazingly solid, and one of my go-to introductions for people who've never seen the show before.

Yeah, I get why they hated working on it, but This Island Earth is absurd enough to be an MST3K movie but watchable, the host segments are all fun ("I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway!"), and the riffs are just incredible. The one that gets me the most these days is them making crunching sounds as Joe walks through the Interociter parts, but "It's a Goldstar!" "No, sir, that's paper," "Joe, I'm one of these boxes, find meeee!" "Heil Hitlerrrrrrrr!" So many good riffs.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Joel/Mike & the bots weren't nearly as active in the theater as Jonah and the bots are, right? Even excluding Servo flying around it seems like they're doing more while watching the film. Which catches me off guard because I tend to ignore the silhouettes when watching the movie.

Interacting with the screen was always more of a Joel thing than a Mike thing (Mike still did it, but not as much as Joel), and now they've really turned it up to 11 with Joel back in charge and the puppets being upgraded.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's also just a lot more movement now that Crow has workable arms. I like it, though, it makes him more Groucho Marxy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crazy Ferret posted:

It really is a great entry into the series. You get a mix of the old with Doctor Forester and the new with Mike. It also helps that it is super quotable.

"But I'm not an alien!"

One that I've had occasion to use many many times in my life is Crow's immortal line "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Oh yeah, they're all about the props. They take out umbrellas, fly drones, ride horses, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joel was a prop humor comedian, and I get why Mike left it behind, but it feels like it's just inherently part of a puppet show. There's a reason the clown hammer is such a continuous joke during the Sci Fi years; humor of the absurd works well with stuff like barrels that try to walk back into the theater and keep riffing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope one day they can work in another Cambot riff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was pretty sick when I first watched the first few episodes, and so I'm watching it again.

I completely missed "There's your problem, you got yourself a Stallone!" and "Humans! Everyone act cute!".

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

howe_sam posted:

The height of screen interaction in the original was probably in the first season, what with them putting their hand over a person singing's mouth and it muting, and Joel putting up "BANG" and "POW" signs during a fight. It never got that involved again, probably because they were a pain to set up in real time for one gag.

Since now it's not all being shot in one continuous take with them in the theater, there's nothing stopping them from goofing visually.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Crazy Ferret posted:

This is, without a doubt, my favorite joke from the shows entire run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really like Eddie standing in the corner, chugging beers and throwing them on the floor, smoking while the bots riff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Breach hull, all die, even had it underlined" is up there with the anteater jokes and "Merry Christmas, you big beautiful couch!"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Joel was a prop humor comedian, and I get why Mike left it behind, but it feels like it's just inherently part of a puppet show. There's a reason the clown hammer is such a continuous joke during the Sci Fi years; humor of the absurd works well with stuff like barrels that try to walk back into the theater and keep riffing.

There's always the TV Wheel where the set was a prop...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Bicyclops posted:

"Breach hull, all die, even had it underlined" is up there with the anteater jokes and "Merry Christmas, you big beautiful couch!"

It's tied with the many names of David Ryder for me. That's the show's high water mark for myself.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The movie was my first exposure to the show I still have the crusty old ex-rental VHS that I found in a closing down video shop.
The 2 quotes that stay with me will always be "Thank god...I saved you" and "and if your hands were metal that would mean something"

I even briefly started a crappy punk band called Uncle Scrotor.....we lasted 2 practices.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

I was pretty sick when I first watched the first few episodes, and so I'm watching it again.

I completely missed "There's your problem, you got yourself a Stallone!" and "Humans! Everyone act cute!".

For a second I seriously thought that guy was Stallone before he got buff until I realized the time frame didn't match up.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Got a little...mystie seeing Beez McKeever in the credits working on costumes for the bots. The little body that they hang off of Gypsy is the craziest thing I've ever seen. It's come a long way since Gypsy made a foot, I guess!

rydiafan posted:

The movie is amazingly solid, and one of my go-to introductions for people who've never seen the show before.

Titles courtesy of THE AMAZING RANDOOOOO

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 22, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Nthing the movie is great for first-timers. It's shorter than a typical episode but has the same general format (host segments/riffing in the theater), and the riffing is solid, if a little too reliant on easy targets (farting, jerking the stick, Servo saying "poo poo," etc.) but not super obscure.

I remember the summer that the movie came out, I saw it three times at the local theater. Every time I went it was packed and every time the audience was really into it, it was awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pakled posted:

For a second I seriously thought that guy was Stallone before he got buff until I realized the time frame didn't match up.

I thought it was Frank Stallone.

I also forgot that the Adult Male Bowlcuts cereal from later in the season is the dad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, Mickey Hargitay is no Steve Reeves, is he? He's not even an Alan Steel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I get why they hated working on it, but This Island Earth is absurd enough to be an MST3K movie but watchable, the host segments are all fun ("I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway!"), and the riffs are just incredible. The one that gets me the most these days is them making crunching sounds as Joe walks through the Interociter parts, but "It's a Goldstar!" "No, sir, that's paper," "Joe, I'm one of these boxes, find meeee!" "Heil Hitlerrrrrrrr!" So many good riffs.

"Wow, the mountain is filled with pudding!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like Mike's reaction to Dr F cutting off the air just to make everyone bow, which is to be mildly aggrieved. :3:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Clouseau posted:

The height of screen interaction in the original was probably in the first season, what with them putting their hand over a person singing's mouth and it muting ... It never got that involved again, probably because they were a pain to set up in real time for one gag.

I once read that they hated that gag, regretted doing it and felt it broke the rules of the show.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

R.I.P. Dick "Daddy-O" Contino

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thanks new season, for making me look up and then get lost in a wikipedia hole learning how astronauts pee in a spacesuit to figure out one throwaway host segment line.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

Thanks new season, for making me look up and then get lost in a wikipedia hole learning how astronauts pee in a spacesuit to figure out one throwaway host segment line.

You continue down that route, you're going to buried in Mary Roache books and terrified of the very idea of going to space, pooping or eating.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I watched too much Outer Limits / Tales From The Crypt as a kid, because I was half assuming Carnival Magic was going to end with the chimp handler being a bad guy, and the chimp being some former human, or human mind trapped into a chimp body, or something dark and menacing.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

howe_sam posted:

I once read that they hated that gag, regretted doing it and felt it broke the rules of the show.

The episode was The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy. From The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode:

Mike Nelson posted:

We were still experimenting with the movie comments and we look back with embarrassment at two particular gags. One involved Joel covering the mouth of a woman singing and the singing being muted. The other, even more shameful, was adding the sound of men, ahem, urinating when there was a shot of them with their backs turned. Both broke the rules of the show, and both were really quite stupid. We're really very sorry.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Noticed Bill was one of the writers on Starcrash.

Also, you'd think by the 50th time Stella got captured, she would've told Akton that he should investigate, and she'd wait in the spaceship.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Noticed Bill was one of the writers on Starcrash.

Also, you'd think by the 50th time Stella got captured, she would've told Akton that he should investigate, and she'd wait in the spaceship.

I thought you meant he was one of the writers of Starcrash.
They should do "Meet Dave"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
In Mike's era, there was some screen interaction, but it was used pretty sparingly. Some I can think of at the top of my mind is in Agent from H.A.R.M. where they pretend to touch a lady's beehive style hair and make buzzing noises and when Mike takes out a pool stick to pretend and play on screen during Girl With the Golden Boots.

I also like that time when Mike threw Servo in irritation during the chase scene in High School Big Shot.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Not quite screen interaction, but I liked the one where Mike does shadow puppets from the back of the theater, and then they're invaded by a giant Mega-Servo.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

MisterBibs posted:

I think I watched too much Outer Limits / Tales From The Crypt as a kid, because I was half assuming Carnival Magic was going to end with the chimp handler being a bad guy, and the chimp being some former human, or human mind trapped into a chimp body, or something dark and menacing.

Well that would certainly make more sense than what we got...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

the Yongery Itchi-o opening joke from Gypsy has to be Joel's and Its soon to be my fav

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Does anyone know when/if we'll get word (through unofficial channels, I imagine) of how well the show is doing on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not quite screen interaction, but I liked the one where Mike does shadow puppets from the back of the theater, and then they're invaded by a giant Mega-Servo.

"HATE MOVIE! MOVIE BAD!"