Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I'm amazed at how much it's taken over SA. Reminds me of the days of the P-P-P-P-P-Powerbook and the giant Purple Dildo.

Edit: So tempted to new page sniper this for old times sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Gounads posted:

What do you guys think about cutting off the tops of the floor joists in the bathroom so I can sink the shower down two inches and install gravel around it?

Go for it!

(in serious speak, I really like the look of that deck material)

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Gounads posted:

What do you guys think about cutting off the tops of the floor joists in the bathroom so I can sink the shower down two inches and install gravel around it?

Goddamnit, this has been mentioned today in 3 threads that I frequent. Also, house is looking good!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

All the cool kids are doing it, very trendy

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Composite decking looks good- just be aware that in direct sun it can get blazingly hot. Its a big issue where we've used it at work (before we knew this) because the plastic just holds in heat that natural wood does, on a 30+ degree (c) day the decking surface can get close to 50-60 degrees. Step on that barefoot and your going to know bout it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Composite decking looks good- just be aware that in direct sun it can get blazingly hot. Its a big issue where we've used it at work (before we knew this) because the plastic just holds in heat that natural wood does, on a 30+ degree (c) day the decking surface can get close to 50-60 degrees. Step on that barefoot and your going to know bout it.

Did not know this never heard it mentioned wow. Over 100 f Direct sun my wood deck (and all others) fine to walk barefoot on. That would be a deal breaker for me and my kids.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Confirm we have composite decking and it's so comfortable and we had picnics on it all winter... we're going to need an outdoor mat and sunshade in summer​.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

everdave posted:

Did not know this never heard it mentioned wow. Over 100 f Direct sun my wood deck (and all others) fine to walk barefoot on. That would be a deal breaker for me and my kids.

Yeah a workmate saw us using it at work and put it in around his pool. Then had to go buy fake turf to put over it mid summer when one of the kids got burnt on his feet.

I installed some of the poo poo at work a few years back in summer (black with a garnet coating glued to it for anti slip on a viewing platform for a waterfall) and the poo poo got so hot by midday that we had to handle it with welders gloves because after about 2-3 minutes the riggers gloves were getting uncomfortably hot. 38 degrees air temp would have easily had a 60-70 degree surface temp

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ferremit posted:

Yeah a workmate saw us using it at work and put it in around his pool. Then had to go buy fake turf to put over it mid summer when one of the kids got burnt on his feet.

I installed some of the poo poo at work a few years back in summer (black with a garnet coating glued to it for anti slip on a viewing platform for a waterfall) and the poo poo got so hot by midday that we had to handle it with welders gloves because after about 2-3 minutes the riggers gloves were getting uncomfortably hot. 38 degrees air temp would have easily had a 60-70 degree surface temp

this is a great thing to know since i was toying with doing composite decking to redo my back deck, but yeah if it gets that hot in direct sunlight it would kill me because south facing no shade in FL

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
Composite decking also has a low ignition point...

I was in the habit of putting my chimney starter on the ground so I didn't have to juggle the grates on my grill. My last place was a concrete pad. I'm chilling just waiting for the coals to heat up and notice the deck is burning. Now I have a nice black circle on my deck. :haw: I'll fix it at some point.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My back deck can get so much direct sun that even on a cool comfortable 75-80f day I've had one of those long trigger lighters "blow up" after being left setting outside all day

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Still no electric pole. Boooo.

Driveway started getting it's final grading.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Still no electric pole...

But good weather this week meant the plaster dried, so painting starts Monday.

I believe all the interior trim work is now complete.

The driveway follows it's final path & grade now, but there is no retaining wall. Need to talk with Builder on Monday to see if it's still pending, or wasn't needed. (he's camping today and this weekend). I'll get better photos of this.

The deck has it's decking, and the porch almost has all it's. I like the border instead of having the board-ends along one side.

So.. things left:

Electric pole & Hookup
Retaining wall?
Pave Driveway
Electrical Finish (light fixtures, switches, etc.)
Plumbing Finish (sinks, tubs, toilets)
Painting
Floors
Kitchen Cabinets
Doodads (towel racks, bathroom mirrors, etc.)
Propane Tank & Plumbing Install
Appliances installed

That list is longer than expected at this point in time and I'm probably missing some items.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Add unforseen bank bullshit to the list.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Potato Salad posted:

Add unforseen bank bullshit to the list.

I just wrote an email asking where $4k from the missing duct work line item that was promised would be deposited a week ago.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
What up trex transcend decking buddy. I went vintage lantern on mine with the white trim boards. What kind of railing are they using? I did white transcend with a piece of 2x4 deck-colored board on top, I think it looks a lot sharper than just plain white railing.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I forget what railing, been a while since we talked about it.

Still no electric pole.

Painter starting today, yesterday was a holiday in the great state of MA.

Driveway didn't need a wall, they dumped good sized (maybe about 6" across) rocks along the slope. It looks fine, and should be near zero maintenance so I'm happy.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Are you doing any external IP camera mounts? Curious what residential new construction solutions there are for 12/24 V and Ethernet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How is the paint looking? Any trouble with the lack of power?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Are you doing any external IP camera mounts? Curious what residential new construction solutions there are for 12/24 V and Ethernet.

Nope.

Potato Salad posted:

How is the paint looking? Any trouble with the lack of power?

The days they painted were in the 60's - so no worries.

Sprayed the trim/doors so it's nice and smooth.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You don't run dedicated low voltage alongside ethernet, that's what Power Over Ethernet solves. Devices are designed to not need more than that amount of power.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Behold my magnificent pole.

And painting progresses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I really like your woodwork choices, especially the moulding, even if I'm not a huge fan of painting it. Reminds me of the 1920's era Craftsman I lived in for a few years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is it wrong that the photos of good plaster walls and good woodwork are giving me, uh, feelings?

Paint color is mega boring but drat that looks nice.

Some of those trees look super close to the house, which is really cool. Got good gutters? Some of my worst memories are of cleaning gutters two and a half stories up on a ladder whose feet were resting on uneven dirt.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 26, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Is it wrong that the photos of good plaster walls and good woodwork are giving me, uh, feelings?

Paint color is mega boring but drat that looks nice.

Some of those trees look super close to the house, which is really cool. Got good gutters? Some of my worst memories are of cleaning gutters two and a half stories up on a ladder whose feet were resting on uneven dirt.

Fat gutters + gutter guards are your friend. I had my gutters replaced and I haven't had to clean a thing in 2 years. I keep popping up there on the ladder to check, because I'm used to having to muck out the gutters at least twice a year.

:feelsgood:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Trees aren't that close, maybe 30' - I'm sure some will blow over, but it shouldn't be a huge problem.

In terms of paint colors... In order to maintain marital relations, they're great. Amazing. The best colors.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Ah, so you traded control of paint colors for the secret door.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ewww I can kind of imagine how ugly our rooms would be if my husband chose all the colors (hint: he got the fake stone wallpaper for his mancave)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

couldcareless posted:

She got her photo studio for my secret door. Paint colors were never on the table.

Just talked with builder. Digging the rest of electrical trench now and should be hooked up tomorrow. Propane tank install is slowly moving forward.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads posted:

In terms of paint colors... In order to maintain marital relations, they're great. Amazing. The best colors.

Knowing which battles are worth fighting is key to a successful marriage.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

couldcareless posted:

Is that what the kids call it these days? Man, I'm out of touch.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Perhaps not for every room, but I am a fan of gray as a paint for walls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We just painted our living room grey and it looks fantastic.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I like that paint color - pretty much anything looks good with white trim IMHO.

Really enjoying this thread, thanks for keeping us up to date. Obviously you have more important poo poo to deal with than showing pictures of your house to forums goons. Appreciated!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Here's my first head-scratcher for a choice the builder made.

Some kind of cubist modern art? A game of pipe mania?

I'm guessing it has to do more with the banister needing to be so far away from the step, but there must be better ways to solve this. Will talk w/ builder on Monday.

Other bad news, a line of ants marching up the side of the deck stairs and into the house. They were the big ones that I think are carpenter ants. I saw at least a dozen, which means there's probably a lot more. Since it's Sunday, heading out with poison in a few minutes to spread myself, but will need to make sure builder deals with that. We disturbed so much ground, it's not surprising that there are ants now that everything is warming up.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya that's interesting. I'd think those could be replaced with the corresponding hypotenuse but the rail to the second floor may be too high and driving everything if it was done first.

Some googling found this interesting article:
http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/11/25/traditional-tangent-handrail/

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Just returned from battle. Saw at least a hundred ants. Check out these fuckers.

They seemed to like the bait I had, always had good luck with the Advion stuff.

Here's where they were going into the house. Under the deck, underneath some tar paper. White dust is Terro ant dust. Dusted the entire perimeter along the back of the house as well.

There were so many, I was able to follow the ant trail into the woods to home base. Baited that with a solid trap and more gel, then a line of poison between it and the house.

But now it's raining. The dust is pretty water-resistant, but all that gel will probably wash away. damnit

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

None of that poo poo ever worked for me. I would do Termidor if the ants are pretty bad. Cy Kick CS is my go to perimeter defense​ but some people don't have luck with it so Termidor will specifically target the ants. Once ants are gone just do CY Kick every quarter

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
We get LBA's regularly, and they go nuts for the Borax Gel. Non-toxic, cheap, and does the trick... A few ants, place bait, tons of ants for 24-36 hours, then zero ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Just got back, no ants today, but it is a lot colder so it's not a guarantee.

Handrails... code says they have to be continuous and that's where most of the weirdness comes from. Builder is going to talk with the inspector on a couple alternatives. Hopefully one of them will be good enough to pass.

Kitchen cabinets should be in on Friday, installation Monday.

Electrician thinks he can hook us up to the line since the pole is on our land, he's checking. Would be great to not wait for electric company.

Builder & Propane company haven't been able to connect yet.

Builder thinks we'll be done in 3 weeks.

• Locked thread