Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, all brands that have similar "self-driving" capability in their similarly expensive cars, at about the same time Tesla added it. But once again it's not real self driving because if you rely on it the car will crash or crash and kill you.

The Model 3 does not actually exist in production yet. It's also expensive compared to Chevy's new Bolt, which came out months ago, and is of higher build quality than what Tesla is promising. I drive rentals now on the rare occasions I need to drive, since my old Taurus finally broke.

Also you're pretty loving naive if you think Tesla is the only company that's been trying to make electric cars that drive themselves. That's something that car manufacturers have been trying to figure out since the 1930s, and nobody's really figured it out yet.

Wow Teslas only been trying for 14 years and they're right on par with all these people who have been trying since the 1930s pretty impressive wouldn't you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
actually i take it back tesla is way ahead in the dont make your electric car look like a dumb egg category

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Isn't autopilot as this point basically a slightly more advanced cruise control that does stuff like slow down to maintain safe following distance?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Isn't autopilot as this point basically a slightly more advanced cruise control that does stuff like slow down to maintain safe following distance?

it also lets you watch movies like Harry Potter so you keep your cool and don't let you lose your head in traffic

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have another revolutionary disruptive tech idea it's called Obtusero and uses a worm drive generating four tons of force that squeezes the self-driving-car talk out of the thread.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pangstrom posted:

I have another revolutionary disruptive tech idea it's called Obtusero and uses a worm drive generating four tons of force that squeezes the self-driving-car talk out of the thread.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hey guys, i have a secret to tell

basically no one 'innovates' in the car industry and everything is made by magna, zf, linamar, bosch, getrag, eaton etc etc

All those cars featuring automatic self-braking systems and 360 degree view cameras and 'smart' cruise control? They're not actually made by mercedes or bmw or subaru

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Disruptive credit card gets bankrupted

Plastc goes under posted:

None of its 80,000 buyers will ever see their purchase.
Plastc, a smart payment card that can store all your CC details, promised to be the only plastic you'll ever need to bring when it started taking pre-orders in 2014. Now, almost three years and countless shipment delays later, the company threw in the towel. In a statement posted on its website, Plastc says it has officially shut down on April 20th and will file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. According to a Magnify Money editorial, Plastc raised $9 million from 80,000 pre-orders. It wasn't and will not be able to fulfill any of them.

The company apparently expected to raise $3.5 million in February, but the investment group ended up backing out. It found another investor willing to sink $6.75 million into the venture, but it backed out at the last minute. Plastc says it needed the money to start its cards' production -- with no funds to keep it going, it had to quickly shut down everything and let all its employees go. It's not entirely clear why $9 million wasn't enough to ship even one wave of cards to its very first customers.

Now customers are bombarding the company with requests for a refund. They paid for pre-orders, after all, and didn't back a crowdfunding campaign that they knew could fall through. With no money left to Plastc's name, though, they might have to chalk it up to experience. Plastc isn't the only smart card that failed to deliver on its promise. Another one called Coin also stopped making cards in 2016, though it was at least able to ship some orders. Swyp was plagued with issues, as well, while Stratos almost shut down until it found a new owner.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

roymorrison posted:

Wow Teslas only been trying for 14 years and they're right on par with all these people who have been trying since the 1930s pretty impressive wouldn't you say?

Would be impressive if Tesla hadn't hired a bunch of engineers and such from the existing auto industry and had never seen a car, sure. But that's not what happened.

Shugojin posted:

Yes, pretty much. It also has lane-keeping assistance, just like the aforementioned Lexus and BMW vehicles do, and like them has a limited ability to handle taking freeway exits (but you really need to keep close watch while that's happening).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

Would be impressive if Tesla hadn't hired a bunch of engineers and such from the existing auto industry and had never seen a car, sure. But that's not what happened.

I think that is a ridiculously high bar to clear though. I mean, if that's your standard, you probably aren't impressed by anything ever.

Tesla may have its flaws (like any company), but I'm really glad they are around to push the envelope on electric cars. No other incumbent would make a serious enough effort into that market before Tesla came along. Sure, a few have tried, but failed to make a dent in the status quo. Tesla has changed that in a major way.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nissan Leaf

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Nissan Leaf

...is good and good, but I don't think incumbents feel threatened by Leaf the way they feel threatened by Tesla.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FilthyImp posted:

Disruptive credit card gets bankrupted
What's even the point of a card when there are apps already for your phone that do the same thing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn't the main reason the auto industry hates Tesla is because they own all of their own dealerships? I know there were a lot of fights from the various car dealership owners in certain states trying to block them from doing that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

...is good and good, but I don't think incumbents feel threatened by Leaf the way they feel threatened by Tesla.

i don't know what that means considering the Leaf is produced by an incumbent.

look we all know that Tesla is a good stock because people are buying into it as the next Apple, and Elon Musk as Tony Stark is catnip to the techbro crowd (e.g., Subjunctive jerking off about his car). if we analogize its future growth using Apple's historical trajectory, it'll still be a minor player by market share to the auto equivalent of Windows/Android.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

I don't think incumbents have really felt threatened by expensive luxury cars, all the major companies particularly GM have had long-term projects to make practical electric vehicles. Also Nissan has apparently sold over 250,000 Leafs versus ~100,000 Teslas across all models. The reason for that is obvious though, you've been able to get a Nissan Leaf for under $40,000 since the 2011 model year and these days they start at $31,000, while the Model S still costs about $70,000 at base.

enraged_camel posted:

I think that is a ridiculously high bar to clear though. I mean, if that's your standard, you probably aren't impressed by anything ever.

I'm certainly not going to be impressed by "car company makes a car using people with decades of experience making cars, and picks up features like driver assist from about the same vendors at about the same time". The main "different" thing they managed to do was to spend a lot of money installing chargers in places along some major highways as a marketing stunt that happens to also be useful for their customers.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't the main reason the auto industry hates Tesla is because they own all of their own dealerships? I know there were a lot of fights from the various car dealership owners in certain states trying to block them from doing that.

They don't have "dealerships", they largely just have showrooms largely lacking the services a dealership is expected to have, like provisions to repair vehicles on site and ordering beyond what you can get online or over the phone.

That's why most of them are just in high end malls or something. This does piss off existing dealership owners quite a bit, because all the things Tesla "dealerships" intentionally skipped cost a lot of money to have and provide. And obviously they'd be a bit mad if someone new didn't have to do them, because they're not exactly providing repair et al out of the goodness of their hearts. :v:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The dealership groups hate this, because their industry partly depends on laws that keep the car companies from selling direct to consumer or owning their own dealerships. The car companies would probably love to see Tesla get those overturned so they could extend their vertical monopoly forward.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

fishmech posted:

They don't have "dealerships", they largely just have showrooms largely lacking the services a dealership is expected to have, like provisions to repair vehicles on site and ordering beyond what you can get online or over the phone.

That's why most of them are just in high end malls or something.

That's not why. The legal wrangling is a lot more complex than that.

This is the kind of oversimplification I was talking about. I really don't lump Musk in with techbros, because he actually builds product with utility and isn't concerned with VC funding above all. I say this as someone who is not a Elon groupie or huge Tesla optimist. Also, comparing tech bros to robber barons is a little unfair to robber barons. The barons actually delivered some utility to the country as a whole, and felt some sense of obligation to give back to the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd buy an electric car if there was the infrastructure to support them. i live in one of the most densely populated and well-off areas of the country and the only charging station for miles around is at one of the malls.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

roymorrison posted:

why are you just assuming i'm worshiping competition.

its an electric car that drives itself and people are talking about it in the thread for making fun of dumb tech poo poo

a mass produced electric self driving car.

its literally the loving future lmao and people are comparing it to a dumb juicer

Tesla is the very epitome of everything that is wrong with the "tech industry". The entire company is built on the idea that the market, led by innovative thought leaders, can solve most (if not all) of society's problems, while making a shitton of money on the way. If you just support the tech industry by consuming the right innovative products, they say, we can fix climate change, we can fix health issues like obesity, we can fix all society. The problem is, it's the direct opposite of what actually needs to be done. To fight climate change you need to not only consume less, you also need very large scale changes of society, preferably starting years ago, towards boring things like more public transportation. You also need a lot of it outside the global North. Tesla targets the wrong market with the wrong solution. It's most definitely not the future; if anything it's actively fighting a better future by providing a fundamentally unsustainable vision of it and giving people the idea that we don't need to do anything about climate change or poverty right now because if we just wait and let the techbros innovate, they'll come up with technology that will just magically make all the problems go away.

Musk's hyperloop thing is another example of this; it's a pointlessly high tech, complex and expensive infrastructure project that's trying to solve the wrong problem in the wrong place.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 22, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought D&D was supposed to be the "smart" forum. What's with all the people drinking the Tesla marketing koolaid? Every single Tesla model is simply an inferior car compared to electric cars by other manufacturers of similar price. Not only that but if you give money to Tesla you're funding union breaking and a company purposely violating monopoly laws. In short Tesla bad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought D&D was supposed to be the "smart" forum.

Then what the hell are you doing here?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Literally what they got Tucker for, because of the overlap between politicians and car-salesmen.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

enraged_camel posted:

Then what the hell are you doing here?

He has terrible opinions and he must share them somewhere.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sage Grimm posted:

He has terrible opinions and he must share them somewhere.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: 'Cause you gotta share your terrible opinions somewhere!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Every single Tesla model is simply an inferior car compared to electric cars by other manufacturers of similar price.

Also an inferior car compared to luxury cars by other manufacturers of similar price.

If you spend $70K to $125K on an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes, you will get a much nicer car than a Tesla Model S.

Back before release, some Tesla people drove their MFR-plates Model S to a local roller derby bout and parked next to my then-new 2012 A6 Prestige. At the time they said they had specifically targeted the Audi A6 and BMW 5-Series as their competition. They were somewhat comparable, but then the Model S turned out to be priced like an A8 or 7-series instead and, well, no.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
The car industry is one of the hardest to start up in given the massive capital required and complex regulations and what Tesla has done, if only from a business standpoint is impressive. They had a goal and came up with a smart strategy and executed on it and succeeded. Each one of those things is difficult and deserves credit.

For example starting with the high end roadster where performance of the electric shines and the range cons don't matter much was a smart move that served them well. They also really have consistently had the best overall electric platform and have succeeded at packaging it into appealing high end cars which successfully stole customers from Mercedes, BWM and Audi. That's really not easy in any way.

Edit:responded to wrong post

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 23, 2017

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
are you guys at least willing to admit that teslas are the only electric vehicles that dont look absolutely terrible? They seem like the least offensive tech company to me

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

roymorrison posted:

are you guys at least willing to admit that teslas are the only electric vehicles that dont look absolutely terrible? They seem like the least offensive tech company to me

"Because I do not give a gently caress about unions or workers' rights. I mean, they have froyo, what else do they want?"

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

roymorrison posted:

It's a luxury car manufacturer with an owner who hates unions with a fervor, they're anything but in-offensive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trevor Hale posted:

"Because I do not give a gently caress about unions or workers' rights. I mean, they have smoothies, what else do they want?"

Amazon carries smoothies?

The Model S was the only electric car that could round trip me to Waterloo now, or when I was in California get me from home to Napa and back with 4 passengers and luggage (via a stop at a convenient supercharger). AFAIK that's still the case, but hopefully there will be more competition in that space. Getting a better-for-me car for less money next time would be great.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Shut up about your bougie car already.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Doesn't Subjunctive work for RIM (or its zombie holding company)? I think that says everything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

roymorrison posted:

Their old models just used the shell of existing high end sports cars for the exterior and a mid-lux interior, so nothing special. The Model X looks as dumb and terrible as every other "crossover" SUV thing. The model S is about as generic as the Roadster was. And the model 3 interior is going to be absolutely awful with a bland exterior, despite the Chevy Bolt having a normal interior at the same price point.

So when things like the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, the all electric Prius models etc all look like normal cars, no I wouldn't say Teslas are the only electric cars that don't look "absolutely terrible". I don't even know what you're thinking of honestly, concept electrics from the 70s and 80s? Maybe the EV1 that hasn't been available for nearly 20 years?

And if you're going to talk about least offensive tech company there's no way Tesla ranks there lol.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NYT profile of Travis Kalanick

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Travis Kalanick, the chief executive of Uber, visited Apple’s headquarters in early 2015 to meet with Timothy D. Cook, who runs the iPhone maker. It was a session that Mr. Kalanick was dreading.

For months, Mr. Kalanick had pulled a fast one on Apple by directing his employees to help camouflage the ride-hailing app from Apple’s engineers. The reason? So Apple would not find out that Uber had secretly been tracking iPhones even after its app had been deleted from the devices, violating Apple’s privacy guidelines.

But Apple was on to the deception, and when Mr. Kalanick arrived at the midafternoon meeting sporting his favorite pair of bright red sneakers and hot-pink socks, Mr. Cook was prepared. “So, I’ve heard you’ve been breaking some of our rules,” Mr. Cook said in his calm, Southern tone. Stop the trickery, Mr. Cook then demanded, or Uber’s app would be kicked out of Apple’s App Store.

For Mr. Kalanick, the moment was fraught with tension. If Uber’s app was yanked from the App Store, it would lose access to millions of iPhone customers — essentially destroying the ride-hailing company’s business. So Mr. Kalanick acceded.
It gets worse. There are even more unflattering vignettes in the article.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was just going to post that, if only to say that apparently Travis lives in an A-ha music video

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

Doesn't Subjunctive work for RIM (or its zombie holding company)? I think that says everything.

Uh, never.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I've been working on this project for almost a year now. It started out as an animal adoption website. Nearly all animal adoption sites are still built for desktop, and the photo galleries have each photo taking up 10% of the screen with a lot of space wasted by the frame of the thumbnail. As well, most animal adoption websites don't allow users to foster. Currently, people go to Craigslist or local bulletin boards for fostering. I was able to finish making the forms (contact information, adoption, lost, found), but I realized I wouldn't have time to complete the back end for doing things like validating addresses. I figured that the GUI that I had built for sharing photos and videos was good enough to stand on its own, so I decided to fall back to a general image and video hosting website in hopes that I'd be able to get enough ad revenue to at least make minimum wage from the site and keep working. Creating the system for processing files and learning to set up a server took another four months after that.

The website hosts photos and looping videos up to 10 seconds, mainly because that's the longest the server with its 512MB of RAM can handle. I had been looking at what people said here about a site called Narratr, where people can post audio to accompany albums of photos, like maybe leaving an audio record for an intergenerational family scrapbook. That's the sort of thing I hope to extend the project to cover. I want to do have multiple audio tracks, upload subtitles, have an AB button for making GIFs, like on DVD remote controls, have a better interface for zooming in on a video track, going back, and doing a freeze frame than anyone has tried. There's a gap between photo album and GIF where someone is taking photos at 3fps and they tell a story, or someone is uploading storyboarding from an animation, where users might want to switch between photo album and automatic slideshow format. For before-and-after pictures, users should be able to choose to view them side-by-side or with a click-and-drag widget. People should be able to choose a GIF clip for a video so that people have the ability to use GIF clips to "channel surf". The idea is that having multiple forms of content on the same website allows taking advantage of where these mediums blend together and the boundaries between them become less discrete.

Before I can implement that though, I still haven't gotten done with the basics on my site. I haven't learned to use AJAX, and the next thing I need to do is make sure uploading will work via click-and-dragging a file, Ctrl+Ving with a file on the clipboard, it has a progress bar, it can send back error messages without a page refresh. I have a lot more to go with it. The problem is that I live with my parents, who snuck me into a retirement home, and they're going to be evicted from their retirement home in a week, so I am really hoping what I have is enough to bring in some sort of advertising revenue stream or something that can sustain working on the project more. My alternative is going to work at a nearby laundromat under the table for less than minimum wage for a while in exchange for a place to stay. If anyone here would like, I can link the website, maybe post screenshots from the animal adoption version. I hope I haven't bothered anyone and I would really like to hear any advice anyone here has to offer. Thank you all.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Arsenic Lupin posted:

NYT profile of Travis Kalanick

It gets worse. There are even more unflattering vignettes in the article.
Of course he only gets a pat on the wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

galenanorth posted:

I've been working on this project for almost a year now. It started out as an animal adoption website. Nearly all animal adoption sites are still built for desktop, and the photo galleries have each photo taking up 10% of the screen with a lot of space wasted by the frame of the thumbnail. As well, most animal adoption websites don't allow users to foster. Currently, people go to Craigslist or local bulletin boards for fostering. I was able to finish making the forms (contact information, adoption, lost, found), but I realized I wouldn't have time to complete the back end for doing things like validating addresses. I figured that the GUI that I had built for sharing photos and videos was good enough to stand on its own, so I decided to fall back to a general image and video hosting website in hopes that I'd be able to get enough ad revenue to at least make minimum wage from the site and keep working. Creating the system for processing files and learning to set up a server took another four months after that.

The website hosts photos and looping videos up to 10 seconds, mainly because that's the longest the server with its 512MB of RAM can handle. I had been looking at what people said here about a site called Narratr, where people can post audio to accompany albums of photos, like maybe leaving an audio record for an intergenerational family scrapbook. That's the sort of thing I hope to extend the project to cover. I want to do have multiple audio tracks, upload subtitles, have an AB button for making GIFs, like on DVD remote controls, have a better interface for zooming in on a video track, going back, and doing a freeze frame than anyone has tried. There's a gap between photo album and GIF where someone is taking photos at 3fps and they tell a story, or someone is uploading storyboarding from an animation, where users might want to switch between photo album and automatic slideshow format. For before-and-after pictures, users should be able to choose to view them side-by-side or with a click-and-drag widget. People should be able to choose a GIF clip for a video so that people have the ability to use GIF clips to "channel surf". The idea is that having multiple forms of content on the same website allows taking advantage of where these mediums blend together and the boundaries between them become less discrete.

Before I can implement that though, I still haven't gotten done with the basics on my site. I haven't learned to use AJAX, and the next thing I need to do is make sure uploading will work via click-and-dragging a file, Ctrl+Ving with a file on the clipboard, it has a progress bar, it can send back error messages without a page refresh. I have a lot more to go with it. The problem is that I live with my parents, who snuck me into a retirement home, and they're going to be evicted from their retirement home in a week, so I am really hoping what I have is enough to bring in some sort of advertising revenue stream or something that can sustain working on the project more. My alternative is going to work at a nearby laundromat under the table for less than minimum wage for a while in exchange for a place to stay. If anyone here would like, I can link the website, maybe post screenshots from the animal adoption version. I hope I haven't bothered anyone and I would really like to hear any advice anyone here has to offer. Thank you all.

source your crowdfunding pitches