Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

cosmically_cosmic posted:

That moment to me is specifically cheap because if I remember correctly either action you choose (and you only have two choices) Kreia calls you out for being a punk. Like poo poo at least give me a chance Kreia.

The way KotOR II presents its thesis is cheap and bad, and I have no idea why nerds defend it to this day and assign profundity that it frankly does not deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

That moment to me is specifically cheap because if I remember correctly either action you choose (and you only have two choices) Kreia calls you out for being a punk. Like poo poo at least give me a chance Kreia.

That whole scene has always come across to me as a meta send-up of the game's morality system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well, the issue with the scene is that it removes agency from the player by having the beggar take it from you. You can try to back out of the conversation as a neutral, but the beggar forces the issue, leaving you no recourse but to pay him off or toss his rear end on the street.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would expect a bunch of "art observers" would properly interpret the scene. The lesson is: Don't talk to hobos.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I am actually a huge fan of KOTOR 2 but that moment specifically always stood out to me. The game is usually a bit more subtle than that. Also Kreia is the best (non)Jedi Master in all of star wars :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kreia gives you poo poo for any choice if you can't explain why you took it well, it's part of her thing. The real question isn't the choice you took, but how you justify it afterward.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4nSHRaxB0
Kyle talks about Charlie Chapman, silent movies and sound. He is getting sooo good at this stuff. Loved the ending.
It's funny how little I've actually paid attention to sound, text or lack thereof when watching silent movies.

apropos my fellow cold strucken goons. Do not let this video trick you into rewatching The Kid (City Lights is probably a bad choice too). Crying does not sooth poo poo. The crying only makes it worse.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I saw the Great Dictator in theater as a teen. It's a loving brilliant movie.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kreia gives you poo poo for any choice if you can't explain why you took it well, it's part of her thing. The real question isn't the choice you took, but how you justify it afterward.

This is true for most situations, but if I'm not remembering correctly that specific instance you can only fail.

It is such a nice touch in Kreia's character that if you just try to go for light sided options since that's always the correct answer in KOTR 1 she'll just school you. KOTOR 2 is one of the few RPG's that understands a neutral alignment.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I saw the Great Dictator in theater as a teen. It's a loving brilliant movie.

i didn't know sa had nonagenarians in its ranks

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4nSHRaxB0
Kyle talks about Charlie Chapman, silent movies and sound. He is getting sooo good at this stuff. Loved the ending.
It's funny how little I've actually paid attention to sound, text or lack thereof when watching silent movies.

apropos my fellow cold strucken goons. Do not let this video trick you into rewatching The Kid (City Lights is probably a bad choice too). Crying does not sooth poo poo. The crying only makes it worse.

I remember watching quite a bit of Chaplin's works. Haven't done so in a long time.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

What point was Kreia trying to make during the begger scene anyway? I honestly can't remember it. At the time I remember now liking it because you can't predict how a person would react based off of your actions but the specifics are escaping my mind.

Pretty sure that this is the first moment you get her to mentor you on your actions, so the devs designed it so that no matter what you learn the lesson she's trying to give you. If you could choose the "correct" response to the beggar and bypass the lesson you would be less aware of what Kreia's trying to teach you. That being said, it would still work if giving the neutral option led to Kreia talking to you about that in the same way the other choices do.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't think that would be it; the beggar scene is well over a dozen hours into even a speedy playthrough, and potentially over 75% of the way through the game if you do Nar Shadda last.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

financially racist posted:

i didn't know sa had nonagenarians in its ranks

There was a re-release.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

DStecks posted:

I don't think that would be it; the beggar scene is well over a dozen hours into even a speedy playthrough, and potentially over 75% of the way through the game if you do Nar Shadda last.

Aye this makes it a lot more jarring too. By that point you're wise to Kreia not being a simpleton, so the fact that any attempt at a more nuanced answer is foiled by an NPC makes it a bit more frustrating.

THOUGH this does raise an interesting point, it does seem likely that this small moment may have been intended to happen a lot earlier than it does (Atton mentions getting to Nar Shadda right after you leave the mining station) and due to the nonlinear nature of RPG quests it got shuffled into a later point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxv3s7xTYHU

HistoryBuffs covers Band of Brothers.

This is true for most situations, but if I'm not remembering correctly that specific instance you can only fail.

It is such a nice touch in Kreia's character that if you just try to go for light sided options since that's always the correct answer in KOTR 1 she'll just school you. KOTOR 2 is one of the few RPG's that understands a neutral alignment.

That scene isn't a fail state. Kreia is trying to make a point, and what she's actually interested in is how you respond to HER at the end of her lecture. You can either stick to your guns and defend your position, or you can consider her advice, to which she compliments you for learning.
Her best line in the entire game is "Like so many Jedi, you hear, but you do not listen."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 22, 2017

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxv3s7xTYHU

HistoryBuffs covers Band of Brothers.

That scene isn't a fail state. Kreia is trying to make a point, and what she's actually interested in is how you respond to HER at the end of her lecture. You can either stick to your guns and defend your position, or you can consider her advice, to which she compliments you for learning.
Her best line in the entire game is "Like so many Jedi, you hear, but you do not listen."

Oh yeah I think it works in that sense, but it's not impossible to have her make her point in a way that feels more organic. The problem is more with how the game engine kind of intrudes on the event in a way that disconnects the player, at least for some people.

EDIT: Has history buffs ever actually done Cleopatra or is that just an opening gag? I can't find the vid, and he seems to have done the other movies from the opening.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 22, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Aye this makes it a lot more jarring too. By that point you're wise to Kreia not being a simpleton, so the fact that any attempt at a more nuanced answer is foiled by an NPC makes it a bit more frustrating.

THOUGH this does raise an interesting point, it does seem likely that this small moment may have been intended to happen a lot earlier than it does (Atton mentions getting to Nar Shadda right after you leave the mining station) and due to the nonlinear nature of RPG quests it got shuffled into a later point.

This was my interpretation as well.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The game is usually a bit more subtle than that. Also Kreia is the best (non)Jedi Master in all of star wars :colbert:

I'd say she's one of the best characters in any game, really. It helps that Chris Avellone isn't a fan of the force and sort of used her as a mouthpiece to do something different with the Star Wars setting for once. I do love a lot of Star Wars stuff and the EU included but even the good stuff is generally pretty formulaic good vs evil but KOTOR II really did a lot to turn that on its head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then new EU material came out that just said all of kreia's theories about the Force and Fate were nonsense and she was never heard from again

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just about everything from KOTOR II didn't survive the canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

Just about everything from KOTOR II didn't survive the canon.

Some parts made it into the MMO, where they were unceremoniously dumped on by Bioware. Some people think the turn Revan takes in TOR is the worst, but my personal gripe comes down to how the game treats HK-47's legacy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Didn't they make the Exile into an obsessed Revan fangirl who ended up accomplishing nothing?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Todd reviews "Bad and Boujee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb8phYbXpx8

Sadly it's another one of those "ugh, I just don't get it" videos, but I think he's finally getting to the truth of why these recent reviews aren't clicking -- the whole trap genre doesn't do anything for him, but it's what's dominating the charts right now.

It's like when EDM was on top and Todd had nothing to say other than "it's not for me :shrug:"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Sadly it's another one of those "ugh, I just don't get it" videos, but I think he's finally getting to the truth of why these recent reviews aren't clicking -- the whole trap genre doesn't do anything for him, but it's what's dominating the charts right now.

It's like when EDM was on top and Todd had nothing to say other than "it's not for me :shrug:"

todd is a poo poo who has no taste outside of what was popular 15 years ago

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Testekill posted:

Didn't they make the Exile into an obsessed Revan fangirl who ended up accomplishing nothing?

They shanked her in the back and she died without a fight, then became a force ghost who followed Revan around and told everyone about him.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Benne posted:

I'm not sure what else he could've said about that song. It's about as deep as "You ugly! You yo daddy's son!"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Kind of disappointed with this, wish he gave it the hour treatment and talk about more of the stuff they got right in the miniseries.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alaois posted:

Wait, I am Todd?!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Leal posted:

Wait, I am Todd?!

We are all Todd here

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
song legit not good and I have no idea why it's popular.

this is what you get when the world didn't acknowledge E.MO.TION as the best album in 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

We are all Todd here

Maybe I'm just as old as Todd, but I'd also like to get back to a time when pop music had, you know, actual "pop."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Every time I hear "trap music" I'm disappointed when I remember it's just "Another flavor of rap/hip hop mixed with whatever electronic is popular" and not "Cute guys in drag singing" or something.

Also yeah sorry for referring to an ugly/dumb phrase if that bothers anyone.

Also also holy poo poo that song is hot garbage anyway.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i like trap in concept but most of it is exceptionally badly written

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Every time I hear "trap music" I'm disappointed when I remember it's just "Another flavor of rap/hip hop mixed with whatever electronic is popular" and not "Cute guys in drag singing" or something.

Also yeah sorry for referring to an ugly/dumb phrase if that bothers anyone.

Also also holy poo poo that song is hot garbage anyway.

this is the worst post in thread history

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

this is the worst post in thread history

Most of it sounds like the same things I've already heard a ton of and the lyrics to that song are gross bullshit that makes them sound like another terrible rear end in a top hat person.

That one in particular is just oh boy, another song mostly about objectifying women and saying you're gonna steal someone's girlfriend and whatever other douchey vomit. :shrug:

Pretty much

financially racist posted:

I like trap in concept but most of it is exceptionally badly written

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 23, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alaois posted:

I live in ATL so I can't escape it but I don't understand why Bad and Boujee blew the gently caress up. I think Thugger, Lil Yachty and the Migos are just too young for my ears, man. I'm dangerously close to being a backpack rap dude and it's scaring me. :ohdear:

Tired Moritz posted:

song legit not good and I have no idea why it's popular.

this is what you get when the world didn't acknowledge E.MO.TION as the best album in 2015

Tetsuo and Youth was the album of 2015 and I will fight anyone who disagrees

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Most of it sounds like the same things I've already heard a ton of and the lyrics to that song are gross bullshit that makes them sound like another terrible rear end in a top hat person.

That one in particular is just oh boy, another song mostly about objectifying women and saying you're gonna steal someone's girlfriend and whatever other douchey vomit. :shrug:

Pretty much

lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's the same crap that's always been around, don't know why it's supposed to be good now.

And yeah whatever other genres and singers do it too, I make an effort not to listen to them anymore either.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm dangerously close to being a backpack rap dude and it's scaring me. :ohdear:

I mean what's really wrong with that by this point. I'd rather hear something kind of preachy than another song hating women, LGBT or whatever else.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you're not supposed to be rooting for that person in the song, hence the literal name of the song

Vanderdeath posted:

I live in ATL so I can't escape it but I don't understand why Bad and Boujee blew the gently caress up. I think Thugger, Lil Yachty and the Migos are just too young for my ears, man. I'm dangerously close to being a backpack rap dude and it's scaring me. :ohdear:

Tetsuo and Youth was the album of 2015 and I will fight anyone who disagrees

for real though it blew up because it's kinda a solid 'introduction to trap' song and for most of the country it was one of their first experiences with the genre.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 23, 2017

• Locked thread