Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I'm sure bitching about tavern is fairly verboten, but this thread - https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23390&sid=90b08f983cbc7a65325d0d22e6f28995 - is such a shining example of the weird mindset around crawl development. On one hand, we have any number of instances where the position taken is that flavor and fun are not important and totally separate/secondary to concerns of what HOM might do. On the other hand, we have pages and pages of people arguing about how lajatangs need to go because they're examples of "oriental mysticism" or saying there's a problem with loving lindwurms because they're based on a german word?

I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Jesus christ, I'm joking whenever I say angels or whatever need to go because they reference something, I didn't seriously think people could be so mind numbingly hostile to foreign things that they would argue "lajatang" or "rhakshasa" needs to go.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Hahahahaha they're actually talking seriously about the goddam katana orientalist poo poo

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

Jesus christ, I'm joking whenever I say angels or whatever need to go because they reference something, I didn't seriously think people could be so mind numbingly hostile to foreign things that they would argue "lajatang" or "rhakshasa" needs to go.

I don't like lajatangs but that's more because they don't exist and aren't cool enough to be triple swords. Also they feel more like a polearm than a staff.

They should be replaced with the three-part staff, or the triple staff for short.

I'm half-kidding about the three-part staff, but lajatangs are from D&D and I'm not a huge fan. Even a monk's spade would be better, which is probably what the D&D designers were thinking of anyway (crescent on one end, spade-like blade on the other... and it's not sharpened).

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 21, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Hahahahaha they're actually talking seriously about the goddam katana orientalist poo poo

I do agree that there's a limit to removing things that are offensive and completely removing flavor. Renaming Jihad, removing the word exotic from non-Western weapons, and making sure swastika vaults don't generate the Nazi type of swastika are fine in my opinion. Removing the entirety of eastern style weaponry doesn't really make sense because I don't think anyone is actually offended by a lajatang existing?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Rename clubs to ankus because if they are as common as dirt in Crawl, they're not exotic! :v:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Trog sounds VERY Scandinavian, please rename to Trevor

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

I like how the agreed upon alternative is to pretend anything from Asia doesn't exist and remove it from the game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Please remove exotic dancer god.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I don't know what weapons 0.21 will be played with but 0.22 will be played with Sticks and Stones.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I miss the guy with the surf board

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I don't know what weapons 0.21 will be played with but 0.22 will be played with Sticks and Stones.

Actually, the stones got removed too. Sticks are currently still in, but they are on the cutting board.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I don't know what weapons 0.21 will be played with but 0.22 will be played with Sticks to Snakes

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Obfuscation posted:

Same

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Obfuscation posted:

That was fun and quirky, so naturally it had no place in the gritty, hyper-realistic non-Tolkien fantasy world of Dungeon Crawl.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
lajatangs aren't even real weapons they're something someone made up after seeing a monk's spade

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rj54x posted:

I'm sure bitching about tavern is fairly verboten, but this thread - https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23390&sid=90b08f983cbc7a65325d0d22e6f28995 - is such a shining example of the weird mindset around crawl development. On one hand, we have any number of instances where the position taken is that flavor and fun are not important and totally separate/secondary to concerns of what HOM might do. On the other hand, we have pages and pages of people arguing about how lajatangs need to go because they're examples of "oriental mysticism" or saying there's a problem with loving lindwurms because they're based on a german word?

I just don't get it.

Oh my god Duvessa .

quote:

NOTE: If you don't care about Crawl's theme/flavour at all, or you unironically complain about "political correctness", you should probably go back to complaining about food or high elves instead of "participating" here.

Like, this is a prime example of a person who should be ignored. It's obvious from everything minqmay/Duvessa writes.

edit: Duvessa goes on to attach WJC even further, and complains about 'lajatangs' as 'oriental' because they're made up. Like, you're not even allowed to have a made up weapon in Duvessa's eyes because it might seem offensive to someone somewhere maybe.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 21, 2017

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
See here's the thing: all of this is screaming offensive to me from the opposite side, where this all comes off as like 100% purestrain eurocentrism and hating on content diversity

Edit: This is misguided white people going far too hard in the opposite direction and causing the exact problematic thing they're complaining about, basically

mdct fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

See here's the thing: all of this is screaming offensive to me from the opposite side, where this all comes off as like 100% purestrain eurocentrism and hating on content diversity

Edit: This is misguided white people going far too hard in the opposite direction and causing the exact problematic thing they're complaining about, basically

This is how I felt, to a lesser extent, for me it was more that people were actually trying to witch hunt the devs responsible. That's beyond the pale.

I made as much of an effort post as I've ever made there and the only result was someone said something sarcastic and lovely back to me and got the thread locked. At least when you get dumped on in SA it usually comes with a critique.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I like how the agreed upon alternative is to pretend anything from Asia doesn't exist and remove it from the game.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Araganzar posted:

This is how I felt, to a lesser extent, for me it was more that people were actually trying to witch hunt the devs responsible. That's beyond the pale.

I made as much of an effort post as I've ever made there and the only result was someone said something sarcastic and lovely back to me and got the thread locked. At least when you get dumped on in SA it usually comes with a critique.

Yeah like I could understand renaming the Sword of Jihad because hey maybe having Jihad in the name of a sword that causes berserkitis isn't the best thing given modern politics. But renaming the katana is just weird.

vOv fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 21, 2017

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Are humans good for anything yet?
I ascended with a human Death Knight way back when

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Amuys posted:

They were voted 'species least likely to be removed despite appearing in Tolkein' I think?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Captain Monkey posted:

They were voted 'species least likely to be removed despite appearing in Tolkein' I think?

Ah, so the purpose of a control variable then.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Amuys posted:

Ask me about my 129 deaths when I was challenged to complete a Mennas run (start HuPr of Zin, switch to longswords and TSO at temple, learn silence, clear Tomb).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

Yeah like I could understand renaming the Sword of Jihad because hey maybe having Jihad in the name of a sword that causes berserkitis isn't the best thing given modern politics. But renaming the katana is just weird.

Yeah, I think there was a point to be made there.

One of the cool things about Crawl is you can always go back and play older releases.

In fact, minutes ago, the luckiest little purple-hatted centaur in the world was poking through an elven treasure vault and...

I got Shaolin, too. I'm so offensive I'm not sure I need the bow to kill things...

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Humans? I dunno, maybe the perfect ashenzari wanderer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lajatangs are cool and fun who loving cares if they aren't a real weapon. You know how many things aren't real in Crawl? Why is this even a loving issue. If all the eastern stuff offends people for some reason just flavor it as being from the Desolation of Salt or something.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Lajatangs are cool and fun who loving cares if they aren't a real weapon. You know how many things aren't real in Crawl? Why is this even a loving issue. If all the eastern stuff offends people for some reason just flavor it as being from the Desolation of Salt or something.

Because they look dumb and are not cool. :colbert:

I'm not like 'THEY MUST GO NOW OR I WILL BE UNHAPPY FOR LIFE' but I don't like them. I'm allowed that, right?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Lajatangs should be reflavored as that Klingon blade thing.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Internet Kraken posted:

It's not that they're not real, it's that they're ~exotic eastern mysticism~ or some poo poo. I only brought up that they weren't real because it makes that explanation for getting rid of them even more dumb.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
gotta put a stop to the oriental and tolkien cultural appropriation

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Trolls? Tolkien, cut
Hydras? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Orcs? Tolkien, cut
Goblins? Tolkien, cut
Spriggans? Exotic Cornish mysticism, cut
Nagas? Exotic Hindu mysticism, cut
Kobolds? Exotic Germanic mysticism, cut
Minotaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Mummies? Exotic Egyptian mysticism, cut
Efreet? Exotic Arab mysticism, cut
Harpies? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Sirens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Satyrs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Fauns? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Merfolk? Exotic Assyrian mysticism, cut
Wargs? Tolkien, cut
Zombies? Exotic Voodoo mysticism, cut
Gargoyles? Exotic French mysticism, cut
Krakens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Wights? Tolkien, cut
Centaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut

Jonah Galtberg fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 22, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Captain Monkey posted:

Like, this is a prime example of a person who should be ignored. It's obvious from everything minqmay/Duvessa writes.

That entire thread is a mess; I seriously doubt you can have a discussion in good faith about cultural and religious appropriation/misappropriation in tavern (or most gaming communities including here, to be fair). It's obvious that there's lingering resentment towards "Sword of Jihad"-like changes from players; the "political correctness" line is a pretty clear jab at these people, it might as well be troll bait. If anything that thread seems highly destructive because there's an unfortunate amount of energy and attention being spent by a portion of crawldev in keeping that topic going.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah dude, its Duvessa.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I am pretty tempted right now clone the repo and start changing all the "exotic flavor" in game so it references the Desolation of Salt, or more specifically whatever fallen empire used to hold sway and whatever divine force soddomed the gomorrah out of them. Could even say something about the lajatang about archaeologists that discover this amazing weapon and their native guides don't have the heart to tell them it was a farming implement.

Guys, I am a greater one and won now and I expect to be treated with the dignity due this high station.

code:
1401080 araganzar the Corrupter of Planes (level 27, 235/235 HPs)
             Began as a Centaur Abyssal Knight on Apr 17, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Lugonu.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 22, 2017!

The game lasted 10:09:08 (134484 turns).

araganzar the Corrupter of Planes (CeAK)          Turns: 134484, Time: 10:09:08

Health: 235/235    AC: 45    Str: 27    XL:     27
Magic:  28/35      EV: 35    Int: 11    God:    Lugonu [******]
Gold:   900        SH:  6    Dex: 27    Spells: 16 memorised, 1 level left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    a - +8 bow of Krishna "Sharnga" {speed, Dex+3 SInv, CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    F - +7 Kryia's mail coat {DeviceHeal*2 rC+}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    V - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    H - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    I - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   +          Harm     .    B - +10 Black Knight's horse barding {ponderous, rPois rN+}
SustAt .                        W - +6 amulet of reflection
MR     +++++                    R - ring "Uchupimp" {AC+3 Str-4 Dex+5}
Stlth  +.........               y - ring of Shaolin {EV+8}
Wearing a dead queen's clothes, wearing a heritical ring, and carrying a bow whose name threatens the very fabric of existence, I managed to trigger everyone who came into chat.

"You think Alchemists just get everything handed to them? I had to work hard for every resist I have!"
"Oh, so the BLACK Knight's slow, huh?"
"I am notifying the Kryia liaison about this immediately!"

Seriously, finding Sharnga and BK Barding on a Ce is just :psyduck: and Shoalin is amazing on a race who could be a good blocker for the broad side of a barn.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah dude, its Duvessa.

Yeah I mean there's that, but this somehow keeps happening time and time again which is weird. My guess is said person has some perceived clout partly due to "tenure" in the sense that this person has been around since forever, plays a lot and writes massive amounts of words. OTOH the usual problem consistently comes up: presenting things as self-evident fact, or even worse as absolutes (in a game like Crawl this is a good way to ruin a discussion since so many situations aren't black and white at all). This seems to foster the type of discussion where people try to read between the lines, only everyone's interpretation is slightly different and everyone fights each other, it's pretty silly. That thread on "Eurocentrism" is no exception even if the focus is more on the flavor aspects of DCSS.

IDK, maybe it helps to understand the root cause a little more to avoid getting drawn into what seems like wasted effort.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

*in l4d Francis voice* I hate orientals.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Trolls? Tolkien, cut
Hydras? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Orcs? Tolkien, cut
Goblins? Tolkien, cut
Spriggans? Exotic Cornish mysticism, cut
Nagas? Exotic Hindu mysticism, cut
Kobolds? Exotic Germanic mysticism, cut
Minotaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Mummies? Exotic Egyptian mysticism, cut
Efreet? Exotic Arab mysticism, cut
Harpies? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Sirens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Satyrs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Fauns? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Merfolk? Exotic Assyrian mysticism, cut
Wargs? Tolkien, cut
Zombies? Exotic Voodoo mysticism, cut
Gargoyles? Exotic French mysticism, cut
Krakens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Wights? Tolkien, cut
Centaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Petition to rename Dungeon Crawl from Stone Soup to White Bread.

• Locked thread