Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Somebody talking about the T-34? :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Sherman is objectively the best tank and I will crush anybody who says otherwise under my endless tide of easy to maintain interchangeable parts

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Crazycryodude posted:

The Sherman is objectively the best tank and I will crush anybody who says otherwise under my endless tide of easy to maintain interchangeable parts

if unthinkable went forward what do you think the exchange rate of shermans:IS2s would have been

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

HannibalBarca posted:

if unthinkable went forward what do you think the exchange rate of shermans:IS2s would have been

The better question would be the [usa]sherman:[ussr]sherman exchange rate, seeing as how the russians where running mountains of lend lease american tanks

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

HannibalBarca posted:

Three Shermans killed as a distraction for the British up-gunned Sherman to drive around the IS2 and kill it.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 22, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Burning is what he was known best for

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

HannibalBarca posted:

Considering tank on tank combat was so rare it is always going to be a win for the sherman. US logistical support, tank reliability, and a massive advantage in things like burn rate, crew comfort, and communications are always going to tell.

The only thing the soviets had going for them comparatively were a much more experienced military and better operational planning but had the war gone on another 2-4 years the US could have caught up with that too.

Lend lease wise the biggest thing for the soviets was shells, lack of artillery rounds was the basic limitation for them being able to sustain offensive tempo '43 onward. Without lend lease the soviets would have still won ww2, it just would have taken them 2 more years to do it. So you take that out of the equation vs the US and it is going to be a problem for Stalin.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
For anyone curious of how much direct military support went to Russia-

https://ww2-weapons.com/lend-lease-tanks-and-aircrafts/

The British also gave the Soviets jet engine technology which may not have been the greatest idea in hindsight...

whitewhale fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 22, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Eh, it's not like they wouldn't have either stolen it or developed it on their own a few years later, anyways.

Oh, and Sherman wins I'd say... 6-8 times out of 10 against the IS-2 if it's real life, because the Americans can bring their obscene industrial might around so that the IS-2 is outnumbered 5:1 and probably got killed by a fighter-bomber, AT gun, or artillery strike before it even saw the Sherman to begin with.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know if it was considered secret tech. They were playing around with (unsuccessful) jet turbines in Italy in the 20s. It might have just been an engineering acceleration program.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Lend lease wise the biggest thing for the soviets was shells, lack of artillery rounds was the basic limitation for them being able to sustain offensive tempo '43 onward. Without lend lease the soviets would have still won ww2, it just would have taken them 2 more years to do it. So you take that out of the equation vs the US and it is going to be a problem for Stalin.

I've also heard (I think from this thread or its previous incarnation) that high octane aviation fuel would have been a huge issue for the Soviets had Lend-Lease been stopped.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Yeah there was basically no way the allies would win.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The captain (and crew) of this sub are going down in legend. Most likely because they are never coming home.

Wait. They pulled the tanks out and left the infantry to die? That's cold.

Only one kill? I'm disappointed!

Okay, today was short but interesting – drum roll please.......

Oh yeah baby. That's the stuff.

You can make it home! We believe in you!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As long as they don't hit rough seas, run into a convoy, get spotted by a sea-plane, or have to dive for any reason at all ever, they might survive.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
#IStandWithI-21

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Thank goodness the sub isn't on fire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BBs are just steel coffins when the Croctopus is about.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Night10194 posted:

And sometimes he sinks enemy ones as well!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Night10194 posted:

Aircraft carriers more than battleships as well as every single large transport that the Allies have.

Basically everything in the South Pacific is a floating coffin.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Not just a coffin, but often an exploding coffin too!

gently caress, now it feels like being buried or cremated when I die is just boring. I want an exploding coffin funeral.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Will we continue getting I 21 updates?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

For comparison, BB Royal Sovereign is about twice as long and 15 times as heavy as I-21.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

megane posted:

For comparison, BB Royal Sovereign is about twice as long and 15 times as heavy as I-21.

Yes, but how does it compare to a six foot tall person?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BB Royal Sovereign is approximately 100 times as long and 300,000 times as heavy as an adult human. :colbert:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

They pulled out the combat squads too (and most of the support), they just left some phone sanitizers and journalists behind.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

megane posted:

BB Royal Sovereign is approximately 100 times as long and 300,000 times as heavy as an adult human. :colbert:

So only 30,000 times heavier than the average goon.:q:

I do have the question; what are the changes of the japanese lasting longer than in real life?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The unit was destroyed with only 61 casualties. They left behind a field hospital.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was like wait only 15 times that can't be right but holy poo poo the Type B1 class is ginormous compared to a VII or IX.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HannibalBarca posted:

#IStandWithI-21

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Is it possible that I could be put down for the USS Manlove as a lucky ship? That is if it's in the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Is it possible that I could be put down for the USS Manlove as a lucky ship? That is if it's in the game.

Done

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stago Lego posted:

So only 30,000 times heavier than the average goon.:q:

I do have the question; what are the changes of the japanese lasting longer than in real life?

By this point pretty good, Grey pulled off a reverse Midway by sinking those US carriers and continues to pick off important Allied ships as they trickle into theatre piecemeal. By this point in real life the IJN was already a shell of its former self thanks to the loss of some really important ships and aircrews, and Grey has mostly managed to avoid that which means he'll be more capable of contesting Allied landings in the future.

To actually win he'll need a few more decisive battle victories, but it's certainly possible for him to hold out longer than historical Japan at this point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Will we continue getting I 21 updates?

I want this too. Even if its just reporting it's going down tomorrow, a hit like that deserves to know the end result of the ship and crew.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

My bet is on I-21 barely limping back to base, getting repaired, then in '44 going on to miss the Yorktown but somehow sink Hawaii the next day.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, congrats! How.. Many BB's have you picked off over in Noumea in the last month or so?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reuben Sandwich posted:

quote:

Manlove was named after electrician Arthur Cleon Manlove who was killed aboard the Arizona when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

It's the Navy, you know they know that it's a great dual-purpose name.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The daily air war continues.

We just keep whittling away.

I bet you thought I was joking a few days ago! Now its time to separate out the ones I can change theatre on an clear that railway. Then to Singapore and on to new warzones!

Its going to be interesting to see what kind of force I can pull out of China.

There is still the slow but steady drip of confirmations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An op mode penalty/malus/negative, ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess they jumped off the train and immediately started shooting.

I-21 status: Assumed not sunk.