Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Landstander posted:

Here's the easiest answer to your question:

thank god mcdonalds is making up for all of trumps lost ground in making us a sweet rear end cyberpunk dystopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

since the definition of the political right seems to be isolationist/nationalist nowadays, and the definition of the left is cosmopolitan/globalist, does it, then, follow that a capital globalist, who opposes any and all restrictions on the movement of capital and people (i.e. workforce), is in fact a leftist?

Maybe. I think it would depend on how the political order ends up aligning itself and who comes out on top not just in that they win elections but in that they can set strong, transformative policy.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

skasion posted:

It was a vision Hillary herself couldn’t articulate for them.

Lol. What a president.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

reignofevil posted:

Lol. What a president.

Probably the most pathetic aspect of all the quotes posted so far. Apparently developing an ideological framework is the responsibility of the campaign staff. Not, you know, the actual person.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im a progressive burger

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a man of contrasts,he order a progressive burger with a side of freedom fries

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the implication is mighty different if that room is the entire country and also you think the vase is taking away your rights for some reason

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Accretionist posted:

Is this book accurate? They ignored the rust belt on purpose?

That is unbelievably stupid.

Literally unbelievable.

I'm not sure I believe it.

That is stupid to the point of crazy.

Is this book accurate? They ignored the rust belt on purpose?

:psyduck:

but but i was reliably informed by D&D that

some :shepface: goon posted:

The woman did everything right. She ran the campaign literally as well as it could possibly go. I cannot find a single flaw in the way she ran it besides
1. She's a woman
2. she's not Bernie

So yeah, this one is on us. I can't even loving vote and I feel responsible. Accept it and don't be a weasel.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I will never understand her personality cult.

The Landstander posted:

Matching dystopic sci-fi uniforms

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Homestar Runner posted:

but but i was reliably informed by D&D that

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Accretionist posted:

Wtf

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

"I'm a three, guys. I make small talk now."

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

The Landstander posted:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

You forgot social security and medicare. I'm sure all these things are probably going away and more!

I had to like unfollow most people on facebook and I quit twitter entirely.

Holy hell do people loving loathe each other these days and drat is it vicious. It's already gotten violent and it's going to escalate and get worse. It's like everyone is infected with a drat hate plague and has gone mad with complete unbridled rage.

One time I poked a beehive on these very forums and had people flipping out and telling me I'm human scum who should be dead. People be crazy these days.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Speaking from a lefty perspective, left twitter is constantly eating itself (more than usual) post election and it loving sucks so bad. It was fun during the primaries and even throughout the GE, but between Syria, antifa protests and constant relitigation of the primaries it's totally unusable.

The internet is really what has made us all more rabid and hateful. These are my seven reasons:

1. Humans have very short attention spans. We like quick and easy digestible information. The listicle is only popular because it delivers information in an appealing format. Those short two minute UpWorthy videos are popular because they are easy to watch. Humans are lazy creatures and we enjoy getting the gist of things quickly. It take a lot of effort to sit down and read a book, and unless we're really interested in a topic, that's a high hurdle to jump over if there's something easy close by. The information delivered is less nuanced, more stark, and delivered in simplest terms.

2. poo poo that gets us riled up is more popular. For better or for worse, we like to feel things. Stuff that makes us happy, sad, angry, whatever, is going to be more popular than something overly clinical. Feelings are supposed to be quick summaries of complex information (we don't need to go over the many reasons why we should run when a lion jumps out at us, we just need to be afraid), and it's an easy system to hijack. We're therefore more inclined towards information that provokes a response, not necessarily something that is 'objectively true'.

3. There is too much information. We have near total information about the world. We always assumed that with total information we would make better choices, but now we are so flooded with it, that we can't tell what is actually important anymore. Now when faced with a complex issue we can literally bury ourselves in the details and miss the topic at large. To take a very low level example, if I wanted to go out and buy a car, in previous decades, I'd rely on the salesperson or the automaker for a select set of specs and maybe a magazine review. Maybe I'd consult a few people I know and trust and see what they think. I could mull it over and then decide. Now not only do I have that information, I now online ratings from multiple websites, I have youtube reviews, I have podcasts, I have facebook posts etc.The world is now able to weigh in on my car making decision. I now have to curate this information on my own and create trusted networks that were taken for granted before. But at the same time....

4. The gatekeepers have been bypassed. The internet has opened the floodgates for content creation. Where before we would really have to rely on a very select set of taste makers for our media, now anybody can produce content. Things that used to be hard to come by: the niche, the strange, avant-garde, conspiratorial and underground, are now very capable of being produced and delivered just as quickly as 'mainstream media.' What might have been a 'zine' trade between a few in the know, can suddenly blow up in a Vice article overnight. This has had the great advantage of bringing new talent and content to light that was missed by the gatekeepers. This served also to discredit them too. By intentionally or unintentionally missing information, the gatekeepers can appear ignorant or dishonest. It damages their credibility. People begin to ask why aren't things they find important being covered?

5. The internet destroys and creates tribes. Humans are tribal creatures. We naturally find reasons to cluster together, and they are arbitrary. In the past the easiest reason to form a tribe was by proximity. You lived in the same area and because you lived in the same area, you generally spoke the same way, dressed the same way, and did the same things. As civilization progressed, politics and economics helped shape that too. You could belong to a class, you could be part of a profession, and with proximity, and its offshoot culture, you could be an ethnicity or of a religion. So there were really only so many acceptable or reasonable dimensions of tribe. Regardless of how it forms, the tribe sets out many key things: mores and behaviours. The tribe tells you what to do, how to do it, and why it should be done. No person is completely immune to this.

On the one hand modernism and post-modernism has really screwed around with that. With the hyperfocus on originality and the individual, people feel dislocated from the world at large. People now have to find social meaning through other means and the internet has facilitated that. We can now bond over things that have stronger meanings to us like hobbies, experiences, or unsurprisingly sex. As people come together to discuss stuff, they start forming a community, and then eventually a tribe, complete with insiders and outsiders.

On the other hand, we are now exposed to how different we all are. Whereas before there were issues unspoken, and due to the limits of communication we could just assume that the world around us conformed to our expectations, with the rise of the internet, we suddenly are faced with the fact that people disagree. The large super tribes of government and nation are fraying because we can no longer take it for granted that other people elsewhere in the country, the state, the city, or even our own neighborhoods represent us. We start to cling to our fundamental beliefs in fear of losing ourselves. For conservatives, they might entrench themselves in religion, for liberals, it might be identity politics.

6. We all think we are the good guy. Nobody imagines themselves being the bad guy (excluding the rare case). At worst people might fantasize about being an anti-hero. They have unlikable qualities but these unlikable qualities are precisely what gives them an edge over their enemies. Now because who the good guys are, are defined by your tribe, there will be stark disagreement over who the good guy is in any scenario. Even groups of people who might otherwise agree will get into arguments because they are simply not the 'right' people. This might be fine if it wasn't for the fact that one aspect of being the good guys is often fighting the bad guys. The internet has created the perfect arena for this. With many clashing opinions and meeting tribes, you can now interject yourself into any fray you want to. If somebody is bashing your tribe anywhere at any time, you can be there instantaneously with little effort on your part, to fight the good fight.

Another effect is because we are the good guys, we tend to look for things on the internet that affirm our tribe and our identities within the tribe. It takes a lot to go out and challenge your own belief system and the path of least resistance is to ignore that. We build echo chambers for ourselves and even though many people might pride themselves on being open minded, they are usually only open minded to things that do not disrupt their tribal core beliefs.

7. Best of all, there are no consequences. Where tribal conflicts often meant the threat of violence or even death, the internet removes that from the equation. You can be as vile as you want with little or no repercussions. Things that you might never consider saying to a person's face are all suddenly kosher and because you will never meet this person, there is no reason to give quarter or relent. They are the enemy and their destruction can only mean affirmation of your beliefs.

The conclusion is that we have this scenario: we have rapidly reproducing unfiltered information often lacking nuance flooding the internet. It is difficult to sort through what is important and due to our tribal tendency and our own human faults, we will tend to select the easiest absorbable information, with the greatest emotional appeal, and what conforms to our beliefs. Other people are doing the same, and we are exposed to them. We realize we don't like them very much disassociate from them, and start to form our own social circles. We are constantly bombarded with contrary information, and begin to attack outwards against people who don't agree with us, because they are not like us and are bad people. On their own end they do the same. America is slowly filling up with warring tribes of people who do not follow traditional definitions, and the traditional definitions are falling apart. Everybody is splintering in every direction and there is no reason to compromise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:|

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Testikles posted:

1. Humans have very short attention spans.

and then you wrote umptillion more paragraphs

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

and then you wrote umptillion more paragraphs

People will see those paragraphs and think, boy, he must really be smart about this. They'll skim to the end, think I'm right, and the rest of it was actually just me mashing my keyboard.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Testikles posted:

People will see those paragraphs and think, boy, he must really be smart about this. They'll skim to the end, think I'm right, and the rest of it was actually just me mashing my keyboard.

that's amazing that's exactly what happened

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Dial-a-Dog posted:

that's amazing that's exactly what happened

I kind of gave it away by explaining it, but we're also posting in a thread about a book most of us haven't read.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think robby mook is....... not very good!!!

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

anime was right posted:

i think robby mook is....... not very good!!!

Yeah he's a real jerk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Testikles posted:

Hey now, I got all the way to #4

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

gently caress this whole gay earth.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"If I do this thing can I get attention??!?! What about this thing?!??! I'll do whatever it takes! Pay attention to meeeeeeeeee!!!"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

As an energy feminist, I --

*Faaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Honky Dong Country posted:

As an energy feminist, I --

*Faaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

the natural gas lobby strikes again

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's a brilliant troll personally

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
wait so being pro-choice is part and parcel of feminism?
you can't be a pro-life feminist?

maybe i'm overthinking this since if that's a real quote she has to be trolling the world at large.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Pawl posted:

I hope the democrats double down on identity politics and eventually splinter into a good liberal party that isn't bogged down by gender/race nonsense.

That isn't all that impossible with Bernie around. Hillary had no message and the DNC still doesn't. The message they need is obvious too - it's Bernie Sanders message of a true Worker's party, that the Democratic Party had roots in. Unfortunately they can't coopt that message because they are backed by corporate interests and economic progressivism terrifies their corporate donors. So they are left with no message, only identity politics, which is dead and doesn't win elections anymore.

Bernie Sanders recently endorsed a pro-life politician because that politician had solid worker right creds. Meanwhile he refuses to endorse Ossoff because Ossoff is a weak rear end neoliberal. It is enraging the identpol crowd (Clintonites) in the Democratic party.

Bernie wants an end to identpol and for politicians to embrace economic progressivism. if a white, male, pro-life, pro-gun, Christian is an economic progressive who supports single payer, Bernie would welcome him to the party and even endorse him. This same person would be absolutely detested by the establishment/corporatist wing of the party, which is why they are losing elections and can't even compete with Trump who also uses the empowering workers rhetoric even though he is lovely and will probably do nothing for them.

Trump has a chance of being a really popular two term President if he doesn't betray workers. But the GOP, his cabinet and the house are so insane and anti-worker that even if Trump decided he genuinely wants to help workers, he will be prevented from doing so.

Far more likely is the US continues to degenerate into a poo poo hole while the oligarchy reaps 99.9% of the rewards and wealth

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CassandraZara posted:

I think it's a brilliant troll personally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo7qMRSPwUg

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bonerjam posted:

maybe i'm overthinking this since if that's a real quote she has to be trolling the world at large.

I assume she is being paid for it

Not that this makes it any less shameful

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bonerjam posted:

is this your first encounter with a conservative using social justice buzzwords disingenuously to push regressive causes

I mean, we are in the Hillary Clinton thread

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

As far as I can tell, Clinton's publicly-communicated vision was "the status quo, but better". I don't remember any messaging as to how Clinton's presidency would have been any different from a third term of Obama. It felt like she was running for re-election, without ever having been elected.

Meanwhile, Sanders and Trump were out *earning* votes.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Trump was mostly earning lols

and what bigly lols they were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFxEi-9sG0

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Landstander posted:

peakliberalism.jpg

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/855136101119471616

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Testikles posted:

The internet is really what has made us all more rabid and hateful. These are my seven reasons:

1. Humans have very short attention spans. We like quick and easy digestible information. The listicle is only popular because it delivers information in an appealing format. Those short two minute UpWorthy videos are popular because they are easy to watch. Humans are lazy creatures and we enjoy getting the gist of things quickly. It take a lot of effort to sit down and read a book, and unless we're really interested in a topic, that's a high hurdle to jump over if there's something easy close by. The information delivered is less nuanced, more stark, and delivered in simplest terms.

2. poo poo that gets us riled up is more popular. For better or for worse, we like to feel things. Stuff that makes us happy, sad, angry, whatever, is going to be more popular than something overly clinical. Feelings are supposed to be quick summaries of complex information (we don't need to go over the many reasons why we should run when a lion jumps out at us, we just need to be afraid), and it's an easy system to hijack. We're therefore more inclined towards information that provokes a response, not necessarily something that is 'objectively true'.

3. There is too much information. We have near total information about the world. We always assumed that with total information we would make better choices, but now we are so flooded with it, that we can't tell what is actually important anymore. Now when faced with a complex issue we can literally bury ourselves in the details and miss the topic at large. To take a very low level example, if I wanted to go out and buy a car, in previous decades, I'd rely on the salesperson or the automaker for a select set of specs and maybe a magazine review. Maybe I'd consult a few people I know and trust and see what they think. I could mull it over and then decide. Now not only do I have that information, I now online ratings from multiple websites, I have youtube reviews, I have podcasts, I have facebook posts etc.The world is now able to weigh in on my car making decision. I now have to curate this information on my own and create trusted networks that were taken for granted before. But at the same time....

4. The gatekeepers have been bypassed. The internet has opened the floodgates for content creation. Where before we would really have to rely on a very select set of taste makers for our media, now anybody can produce content. Things that used to be hard to come by: the niche, the strange, avant-garde, conspiratorial and underground, are now very capable of being produced and delivered just as quickly as 'mainstream media.' What might have been a 'zine' trade between a few in the know, can suddenly blow up in a Vice article overnight. This has had the great advantage of bringing new talent and content to light that was missed by the gatekeepers. This served also to discredit them too. By intentionally or unintentionally missing information, the gatekeepers can appear ignorant or dishonest. It damages their credibility. People begin to ask why aren't things they find important being covered?

5. The internet destroys and creates tribes. Humans are tribal creatures. We naturally find reasons to cluster together, and they are arbitrary. In the past the easiest reason to form a tribe was by proximity. You lived in the same area and because you lived in the same area, you generally spoke the same way, dressed the same way, and did the same things. As civilization progressed, politics and economics helped shape that too. You could belong to a class, you could be part of a profession, and with proximity, and its offshoot culture, you could be an ethnicity or of a religion. So there were really only so many acceptable or reasonable dimensions of tribe. Regardless of how it forms, the tribe sets out many key things: mores and behaviours. The tribe tells you what to do, how to do it, and why it should be done. No person is completely immune to this.

On the one hand modernism and post-modernism has really screwed around with that. With the hyperfocus on originality and the individual, people feel dislocated from the world at large. People now have to find social meaning through other means and the internet has facilitated that. We can now bond over things that have stronger meanings to us like hobbies, experiences, or unsurprisingly sex. As people come together to discuss stuff, they start forming a community, and then eventually a tribe, complete with insiders and outsiders.

On the other hand, we are now exposed to how different we all are. Whereas before there were issues unspoken, and due to the limits of communication we could just assume that the world around us conformed to our expectations, with the rise of the internet, we suddenly are faced with the fact that people disagree. The large super tribes of government and nation are fraying because we can no longer take it for granted that other people elsewhere in the country, the state, the city, or even our own neighborhoods represent us. We start to cling to our fundamental beliefs in fear of losing ourselves. For conservatives, they might entrench themselves in religion, for liberals, it might be identity politics.

6. We all think we are the good guy. Nobody imagines themselves being the bad guy (excluding the rare case). At worst people might fantasize about being an anti-hero. They have unlikable qualities but these unlikable qualities are precisely what gives them an edge over their enemies. Now because who the good guys are, are defined by your tribe, there will be stark disagreement over who the good guy is in any scenario. Even groups of people who might otherwise agree will get into arguments because they are simply not the 'right' people. This might be fine if it wasn't for the fact that one aspect of being the good guys is often fighting the bad guys. The internet has created the perfect arena for this. With many clashing opinions and meeting tribes, you can now interject yourself into any fray you want to. If somebody is bashing your tribe anywhere at any time, you can be there instantaneously with little effort on your part, to fight the good fight.

Another effect is because we are the good guys, we tend to look for things on the internet that affirm our tribe and our identities within the tribe. It takes a lot to go out and challenge your own belief system and the path of least resistance is to ignore that. We build echo chambers for ourselves and even though many people might pride themselves on being open minded, they are usually only open minded to things that do not disrupt their tribal core beliefs.

7. Best of all, there are no consequences. Where tribal conflicts often meant the threat of violence or even death, the internet removes that from the equation. You can be as vile as you want with little or no repercussions. Things that you might never consider saying to a person's face are all suddenly kosher and because you will never meet this person, there is no reason to give quarter or relent. They are the enemy and their destruction can only mean affirmation of your beliefs.

The conclusion is that we have this scenario: we have rapidly reproducing unfiltered information often lacking nuance flooding the internet. It is difficult to sort through what is important and due to our tribal tendency and our own human faults, we will tend to select the easiest absorbable information, with the greatest emotional appeal, and what conforms to our beliefs. Other people are doing the same, and we are exposed to them. We realize we don't like them very much disassociate from them, and start to form our own social circles. We are constantly bombarded with contrary information, and begin to attack outwards against people who don't agree with us, because they are not like us and are bad people. On their own end they do the same. America is slowly filling up with warring tribes of people who do not follow traditional definitions, and the traditional definitions are falling apart. Everybody is splintering in every direction and there is no reason to compromise.

dude ur a genius about this

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cultists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

let me know when the most qualified candidate comes around so I don't call them weak

• Locked thread