Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They really should have made the npc at the first bonfire in the city proper more noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Just heard Distortion2 isn't going to be at SGDQ since they won't allow him to run DLC2. :( We're going to end up with another oginam or bubbles poo poo show.

vvv paperwork I guess. He put in his submission that DLC2 was coming out in a couple of weeks and that he would include it in his run, and that was accepted. Suddenly today they told him he couldn't do that so he said no thanks.

He's the guy that has or has held most soulsborne records. Top tier runner.

hanales fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 22, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't know who that is, but why won't they allow TRC to be speedrunned?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Considering how horrendously the DS community reacted to the previous run, I'm fine with the game being absent form GDQ :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Considering how horrendously the DS community reacted to the previous run, I'm fine with the game being absent form GDQ :v:

Its not gonna be absent though cause its too popular to not include. So we'll just get another mediocre runner that does a mediocre run.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not gonna be absent though cause its too popular to not include.

In that case I feel sorry for whoever runs it. The community response to Bubbles' run was some of the most toxic and hateful stuff I've seen in a while.

I do wonder how they're gonna top mocking someone for getting cancer though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

In that case I feel sorry for whoever runs it. The community response to Bubbles' run was some of the most toxic and hateful stuff I've seen in a while.

I like how "one guy makes inappropriate cancer joke" becomes "the community mocked him for having cancer".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

:eyepop: do you have more details on this because I am intensely interested in seeing how poo poo this got.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

I like how "one guy makes inappropriate cancer joke" becomes "the community mocked him for having cancer".
They did more than that but sure, go ahead and defend this sort of stuff :wtc: I know I'm in a Dark Souls thread but come on.

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: do you have more details on this because I am intensely interested in seeing how poo poo this got.
I don't keep a log of internet drama but I'm sure you can find a lot of it by just googling "bubblesdelfuego" and "dark souls 3 agdq". Highlights include DS3 speedrunners mad that he's running instead of them (despite them never applying to be there), a dude making a huge pastebin doxxing and going into schizophrenic rants, multiple people setting up streams for the sole purpose of making GBS threads on him, the GDQ chat being flooded with hateful speech, the aforementioned making fun of him for getting cancer, etc.

It was a shitshow and didn't exactly show the DS speedrunning community in a good light, to say the least.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Computer posted:

It was a shitshow and didn't exactly show the DS speedrunning community in a good light, to say the least.

i dunno, sounds like they captured the community in the perfect light, just replace invasions with screaming nerds

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"Being a huge rear end in a top hat on the internet? I shall partake"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Get summoned to fight Midir
Shira somehow dies in the opening tantrum
Midir alternates between charging and tail swiping until everybody is down

god drat, sometimes the RNG just wants you dead

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If anyone needs to do item trading then PM me on steam because i need to do them too. Steam name is same as SA name.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I just took out Gundyr, and have the option of the halberd or prisoner's chain now. This is the one character of mine that is set up right to use the halberd. 36 strength, 18 dex, and swinging around a BKGA right now. I figured I would play with black knight weapons and polearms like Gundyr's and Splitleaf. On the other hand, the chain is supposedly pretty sweet now. What to do?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

They did more than that but sure, go ahead and defend this sort of stuff :wtc: I know I'm in a Dark Souls thread but come on.

I don't keep a log of internet drama but I'm sure you can find a lot of it by just googling "bubblesdelfuego" and "dark souls 3 agdq". Highlights include DS3 speedrunners mad that he's running instead of them (despite them never applying to be there), a dude making a huge pastebin doxxing and going into schizophrenic rants, multiple people setting up streams for the sole purpose of making GBS threads on him, the GDQ chat being flooded with hateful speech, the aforementioned making fun of him for getting cancer, etc.

lol what?

None of the speedrunners were mad. One dude who is friends with bubbles made a stream goofing on him after the run. GDQ chat is always hate speech for every game that's not souls related. Like what are you even talking about?

What actually happened was some butthurt hanger-on dumped a chat log on reddit to create drama and tried to embarrass all the streamers. It went away when bubbles was like "this doesn't bother me we do it for every run/runner".

Please don't try to make things dramatic when they aren't.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

New Concept Hole posted:

"Being a huge rear end in a top hat on the internet? I shall partake"

Fear not the chat my friend
And let the memes, begin

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Node posted:

I was hoping we'd find out just exactly what she was in DS3.

I can't remember if it was a bullshit fan theory or something implied by the game but I always liked to think she was a reincarnation of Alvina. Cats are dope, even in Dark Souls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

I can't remember if it was a bullshit fan theory or something implied by the game but I always liked to think she was a reincarnation of Alvina. Cats are dope, even in Dark Souls.

The description of the cat ring says "Legend has it that when cats grow old, a force brews within them, and they are reborn as something new." Some take that to mean that when cats die in the Souls world, they are reborn as... another talking cat, I guess.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm thinking of going full-on Dark caster since some of the new Dark spells look kind of fun. The problem is that going 45 INT and 45 FTH to make the Izalith Staff pop off has my stats spread really thin. I'm not sure what kind of weapon I should even wield. The Raw infusion seems like a good choice because it'll still allow me to take advantage of being able to throw a buff on and go to town when the situation calls for it.

The Broadsword and Flamberge seem like appealing choices. Is the Raw rear end no longer any good?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Time_pants posted:

I'm thinking of going full-on Dark caster since some of the new Dark spells look kind of fun. The problem is that going 45 INT and 45 FTH to make the Izalith Staff pop off has my stats spread really thin. I'm not sure what kind of weapon I should even wield. The Raw infusion seems like a good choice because it'll still allow me to take advantage of being able to throw a buff on and go to town when the situation calls for it.

The Broadsword and Flamberge seem like appealing choices. Is the Raw rear end no longer any good?

If you have that high Faith you should consider blessed infusion. IT got buffed so it's a bit stronger plus hp regen is nice. Longsword apparently scales quite nicely with faith when blessed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Humorously, the Dark Sword has an S scaling with FTH when Blessed-infused, and still maintains a (rather mediocre) C and D scaling in STR/DEX.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Like you can go dark caster by just going pure sorcerer too. Or pure pyromancer. Doesent really matter, just means youll use diffrent dark spells. Not sure why youre going 45/45 instead of the 40/40 though. Chaos and dark infusions are the ones that scale with int/faith so better go for those. Though raw is fine too i guess. Onyx blade, demon scar and witchs locke are all also int/faith weapons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there no miracle catalyst that scales with int? I could've sworn there was one, but all I can find is the staff that does the opposite (sorceries scale with fth).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Is there no miracle catalyst that scales with int? I could've sworn there was one, but all I can find is the staff that does the opposite (sorceries scale with fth).

The Crystal Chime gains dual FTH/INT scaling for non-physical damage spells. That's about the closest you're going to get.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I've noticed that since the changes to the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant were implemented, about half of the time the invader uses the black separation crystal immediately after I've been summoned, regardless of whether or not there are other phantoms present. It's rather amusing considering how long people clamoured for the auto-summoning covenants to be fixed, in addition to how many people believed the latest patch was going to make changes exclusively in favour of invaders.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is old news, but I just learned that apparently a lot of people think the sandworm in the Smouldering Lake is Solaire. Like, literally Solaire. :psyboom: Now I'm wondering how many other crazy (non-Velka) fan theories I have been missing.

basalt posted:

changes to the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant were implemented
The widening of the summoning range, or did they implement more changes that I've forgotten/missed? I've been trying to do the covenant but haven't had much luck, except one time when I was summoned literally seconds after loading in. I also tried farming the silver knights (you already know how this story is going to end) since I had gotten 5 souvenirs throughout my recent run, thinking "hey, I could at least farm 5 of them and get the rank 1 reward" and I'm not even sure how many hours it took just to get those five :saddowns:

Vermain posted:

The Crystal Chime gains dual FTH/INT scaling for non-physical damage spells. That's about the closest you're going to get.
Welp.
That's what I thought. Thanks!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The giant avelyn in smouldering lake is big hat logan.

you heard it here first, folks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

basalt posted:

I've noticed that since the changes to the Blades of the Darkmoon covenant were implemented, about half of the time the invader uses the black separation crystal immediately after I've been summoned, regardless of whether or not there are other phantoms present. It's rather amusing considering how long people clamoured for the auto-summoning covenants to be fixed, in addition to how many people believed the latest patch was going to make changes exclusively in favour of invaders.
It should really just give you a conchord if the red disconnects/separates

Internet Kraken posted:

You need the jailer's key ring. To get it go to the toxic swamp in the Profaned Capital. There's a staircase on the leftside of the big building that leads to a hallway containing the key.

Irthyll Dungeon has like 3 seperate keys to unlock all the doors. Its stupid.
To be clear, once you reach the "profaned capital" bonfire, near the bottom of that building there is a hole you want to leave through which takes you to a different place than what leads you to yhorm. I didn't know it existed for a long time because I assumed there was just a drop to death outside that hole.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The tower crossbow is the dumbest thing in the entire series. No part of it makes sense. Its like if the Earthen Peak elevator harassed you through an entire level and constantly reminded you of its existence.

Your Computer posted:

The widening of the summoning range, or did they implement more changes that I've forgotten/missed?

Every invasion will try to summon two blues now. This could happen rarely before but now it almost always occurs if there's room for them. The covenant is still slow as hell though.

It can be annoying but its well worth the nerfs the seed and summoning got. Most blues are giant idiots anyways and give me free estus.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like the hugeass triple crossbow and think it is fun to dodge. The look of it turning around and clanking ominously is rad, as is the look/sound of the huge bolts flying at you, and nothing in the area is unreasonable to fight(or more importantly, run past) while also dodging the bolts.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The demon scar is really cool and all, but I would like it 300 % more if it wasn't so LOUD all the time

BUHHHRHRRRHHHRHRHHHHHHHHRHH - reapeat - BUHHHRHRHHRHHHHRH that's how it sounds

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Every invasion will try to summon two blues now. This could happen rarely before but now it almost always occurs if there's room for them. The covenant is still slow as hell though.

It can be annoying but its well worth the nerfs the seed and summoning got. Most blues are giant idiots anyways and give me free estus.
That's what makes this behaviour seem so silly to me. A lot of the people attracted to the blue covenants are people who don't partake in PVP much otherwise, and because of how restrictive the summoning algorithm was in the past they're often very out practice. After collecting all of my covenant items I switched to Way of the Blue for a little bit, and the summoned phantoms would often succumb to the environment before they even found the invader (and if they did find them, it was a quick death). It's also possible to be summoned to areas you have yet to fully explore (my first encounter with Midir occurred this way), which doesn't really help.

EDIT: Not to mention that blues have no doubt become accustomed to the idea that being summoned is a rare occurrence, and won't necessarily be prepared for PVP at all.

basalt fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 22, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Did they change how Unfaltering Prayer on the Sunlight Talisman works at some point? I swore that you had to L2 (assuming it was equipped offhand) and that was the charm skill that would give you hella poise for a few seconds.

Now, both L2 and L1 just cast whatever Miracle I have equipped, but L2 gives me a yellow glow like Unfaltering Prayer did.

If that's the case, why would I ever L1 instead of L2?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The tower crossbow just seems like an obnoxious Demons Souls reference.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The Carthus swordsmen chased a badass giant sandworm out of their place.by throwing yellow bug pellets. It ended up being a mistake because it got stronger and was eating all their skeletons. So they put out a contract with some badass giants to make an incredibly complicated device to take it out. After building it they died because they were paid in dung pies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rough Lobster posted:

The Carthus swordsmen chased a badass giant sandworm out of their place.by throwing yellow bug pellets. It ended up being a mistake because it got stronger and was eating all their skeletons. So they put out a contract with some badass giants to make an incredibly complicated device to take it out. After building it they died because they were paid in dung pies.

I love this idea that Carthus was just a nation of skeletons at war with a giant worm.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

I see that you also have a patreon sub for Vaati.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I just took out Gundyr, and have the option of the halberd or prisoner's chain now. This is the one character of mine that is set up right to use the halberd. 36 strength, 18 dex, and swinging around a BKGA right now. I figured I would play with black knight weapons and polearms like Gundyr's and Splitleaf. On the other hand, the chain is supposedly pretty sweet now. What to do?

The ring is crazy good. His halberd is neat but heavy split leaf edges it out as a strength weapon.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Gargoyle flame spear or ring knight spear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I could use some advice for my build. This run I'm trying for a spellsword katana by getting dex to 40 with a sharp uchigatana and then switching to a washing pole and getting int to 60 eventually. My question is: should I put a crystal infusion in the washing pole, or should I use a sharp infusion and cast crystal magic weapon? Which is going to be better for AR and quality of life?