Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
anybody else kinda wanting a RK spin-off now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kubera is really good so far (episode 46). I like how it's a fantasy story with a female protagonist but doesn't fall into the trap a lot of similar titles do where the romance elements overshadow or guide the rest of the plot (the only other story I can think of that also pulls this off is 12 Kingdoms). The setting is really interesting and seems well thought out; I feel curious about the setting's details and characters in a similar way to Tower of God.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The current situation in GoHS seems to be exactly as I thought it would. Daewi is head of a drastically weakened Nox and trying to find Mori while also opposing Mubong, Mira is still amnesiac and head of the homeless people, Soojin is also probably opposing Mubong for the same reasons as Daewi, and Ilpyo is also probably not on their side but can't do anything about it since he's head of a school now.

I can't imagine how pissed Daewi must have been when he woke up and learned everything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, you'd think that Daewi could just defeat Mubong, since it's already been established that Daewi >= a single god > Mubong.

Didn't Zeus make a fool out of Mubong, or was that someone else? And then Daewi disintegrated him?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think Daewi lost the full king's power when R gave it to Mira instead? I'm still really unclear on what happened there.

And/or Mubong is stronger now that he's no longer constantly saving it up.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 22, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sindai posted:

I think Daewi lost the full king's power when R gave it to Mira instead? I'm still really unclear on what happened there.

Daewi has the magic powers of King, i.e. the control of the fundamental forces of the universe. However using them taxes him since he's still a human. Mira has the physical powers of King.

Mubong probably got significantly hosed up due to super pissing off both Mori Jin and his grandpa and is likely largely maintaining any presence due to the continued support of the executives and certain members of The Six. Plus he's probably President now, which nominally puts him in control of The Six, even if fully half of them are running anti-government organizations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

Daewi got the wisdom of the King and Mira got his strength, IIRC. Or rather R got his strength (and not his wisdom because the King chose to pass that on to Daewi beforehand) and then gave it to Mira.

As a side note, Kubera continues to be super good. It's definitely Tower of God quality in my opinion (assuming the quality stays consistent), and probably isn't quite as popular (though it's still pretty popular) due to having a female protagonist and male love interests. I like how there are many different "focus" characters with their own backgrounds and motivations.

Speaking of Kubera having a female protagonist, I think it might be the first manga/manhwa I've read with a female protagonist (and romance elements obviously aimed at straight female readers) where the protagonist is totally stacked. Usually shoujo protagonists and what have you have more waifish builds.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 22, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm glad this thread reminded me that kubera is a thing. Caught up fully again. Here's waiting another year or more because the glacial pacing only works if you are not following it all the time.

I just hope the author isn't slowly killing herself in the process. She doesn't appear healthy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Alright, fine, I'll read Kubera. Anybody whose posts are nearly constantly praising something either knows what they're talking about or is a huge shill bot.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Gologle posted:

Alright, fine, I'll read Kubera. Anybody whose posts are nearly constantly praising something either knows what they're talking about or is a huge shill bot.

In the end personal taste remains personal taste. There's no guarantee you will like it, and that doesn't mean the ones that do are shill bots. But yeah give it a shake. If possible, use the overlay system that translates it for you on the spot on the official site. Helps the author get clicks, as iirc it is her main source of income. It still feels like witchcraft to use that system.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mindblast posted:

In the end personal taste remains personal taste. There's no guarantee you will like it, and that doesn't mean the ones that do are shill bots. But yeah give it a shake. If possible, use the overlay system that translates it for you on the spot on the official site. Helps the author get clicks, as iirc it is her main source of income. It still feels like witchcraft to use that system.

...wait so does the naver run translated webtoons not count

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I'll have to go and recheck because it's been ages, but when I first read official translations they were janky as gently caress. And since it also made sense for them to begin translating from the start there was a massive gap between the newest chapters and where the official translations were at. The fan overlay fixed that very gracefully.

But that was ages ago so maybe the quality improved and they caught up?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I dig the more or less clearly explained magic system in Kubera.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

I dig the more or less clearly explained magic system in Kubera.

In general the setting seems really well thought out and unique for a fantasy setting. I also like it when a story starts out after a bunch of important plot-relevant stuff has already occurred and you gradually learn more about what's actually going on over time. Both Tower of God and Kubera are good examples of this.

While it's not necessarily something everyone would like, I imagine that most people who would enjoy something like ToG would also like it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah I marathon'd Season 1 and will probably start Season 2 in a bit. I've enjoyed what I've read thus far, I don't regret it. I'm a little confused by the mother though, for Yuta. So is she a clone of Kali, his real mom, or was she one of those Chaos tribe asuras that assimilated Kali's maternal feelings toward Yuta somehow for some reason? Like, was she made specifically for caring for him, or was she a separate entity before hand?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Gologle posted:

Yeah I marathon'd Season 1 and will probably start Season 2 in a bit. I've enjoyed what I've read thus far, I don't regret it. I'm a little confused by the mother though, for Yuta. So is she a clone of Kali, his real mom, or was she one of those Chaos tribe asuras that assimilated Kali's maternal feelings toward Yuta somehow for some reason? Like, was she made specifically for caring for him, or was she a separate entity before hand?

I donīt know how much is revealed in Season 1, but what I know is Yuta is the offspring of a god and a sura, Kali and Garuda respectively. Kali can't be there for Yuta,
and due to unexplained circumstances shall never see him again in their entire lives(why is unknown, but gods have the Insight ability and Kali is a Prime, she can see more than most).
To give him something like a mother, Taraka was created. Taraka is an odd creation, technically a Sura but imbued with some abilities that are normally posessed by a god(like Insight). She received a copy of Kali's personality and memories, so she could effectively be a surrogate. She only appears like Kali to Yuta, though. To anyone else she looks like an eldritch horror, completely faceless with a maw and a ton of tentacles.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mindblast posted:

I donīt know how much is revealed in Season 1, but what I know is Yuta is the offspring of a god and a sura, Kali and Garuda respectively. Kali can't be there for Yuta,
and due to unexplained circumstances shall never see him again in their entire lives(why is unknown, but gods have the Insight ability and Kali is a Prime, she can see more than most).
To give him something like a mother, Taraka was created. Taraka is an odd creation, technically a Sura but imbued with some abilities that are normally posessed by a god(like Insight). She received a copy of Kali's personality and memories, so she could effectively be a surrogate. She only appears like Kali to Yuta, though. To anyone else she looks like an eldritch horror, completely faceless with a maw and a ton of tentacles.

Yeah, and to be absolutely 100% clear the entire Taraka clan is fake, constructed to give Yuta a home.

Mindblast posted:

I'll have to go and recheck because it's been ages, but when I first read official translations they were janky as gently caress. And since it also made sense for them to begin translating from the start there was a massive gap between the newest chapters and where the official translations were at. The fan overlay fixed that very gracefully.

But that was ages ago so maybe the quality improved and they caught up?

The official translations are garbo early on, but I looked up the thcmpny scans and they're also garbo that early. :shrug:

The later overlay stuff is better, but does that go all the way back?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I was thinking about doing a reread, what with how far things progressed. It's been a while anyway and it just might make some things more clear. I'll compare the official translation to thecompany, but I suspect thecompany still wins. I'll also check out when Babo Kim Scans pick up, because everyone should switch to those the moment it becomes possible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You should support the official release imo. I still don't understand how they're paid for from my views though

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

If people read your comic, the adds are served to the user through your page. I think that is how it works.

And agreed on making sure she gets the hits. Like the company suggests: do something to get her the clicks. Could be as easy as having the official site open on another tab. Or use the overlay once you get far enough (chapter 92 I think?).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
OK, I figured it was just author's mood versus the story's tone, but no, Asha is actually a bitch. It was hard to understand, because she's apparently a very popular character with the Korean fanbase, and in universe everyone fauns over her, but from the get-go she struck me as a bitch. Good thing it wasn't just my interpretation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finally finished Season 1, and the stuff with Yuta's pseudo-mother was actually pretty disturbing and sad. I'm not sure how I feel about Yuta almost certainly being Kubera's main love interest. I guess there aren't really many other options, and at least he's a pretty unusual choice.

As a side note, I like how the Nastika are these planet (if not larger) sized monstrosities when in their Sura form and not in the human realm. The series does a good job of showing just how immensely out of their league humans are compared with the other dominant forces, with it being difficult for even multiple top of the line humans to take on a single mediocre Rakshasa. Kinda reminds me of the difference between Regulars and High Rankers in Tower of God except turned up several notches.

I'm wondering what it is that will make Kubera regret having chosen to live. The only thing that I can think of is her existence causing the deaths of many people close to her, because she's already lost all her family and friends (for all she knows anyways) and that wasn't enough to make her become all suicidal, so I imagine it has to be something really bad.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Her actions cause all the mushrooms on the planet to go extinct.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know what you're talking about but a world with no mushrooms is good so I support her actions, whoever she may be.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
...you know, there were very blatant hints at the very, very beginning, but I don't think I like all that much where Kubera seems to be heading...

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Where are you right now and what are you speculating?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mindblast posted:

If people read your comic, the adds are served to the user through your page. I think that is how it works.

And agreed on making sure she gets the hits. Like the company suggests: do something to get her the clicks. Could be as easy as having the official site open on another tab. Or use the overlay once you get far enough (chapter 92 I think?).

There aren't any ads on the phone app as far as i can tell

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I caved and started reading Kubera after seeing it recommended so many times here and with such glowing praise.

If anyone else is on the fence like I was, just read it. It's amazing. I haven't been this hooked by a series in a long time. It was the comment comparing it to Tower of God that got me interested and I agree wholeheartedly, the world has the same kind of intrigue that got me hooked in that series as well.

I'm up to chapter 93 after binging a few hours the past couple nights, but I'm reading it on webtoons. I remember people were saying to read it on the author's site with an overlay or something? Is that built into the site or is it a plugin? I'm reading on an iPad here, so the latter wouldn't be an option.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's a plugin. I would do it, but just because the fan translated version (the one that uses the overlay) is more grammatically correct and sounds better in English. That said, the webtoon's translation actually isn't that bad, the point still gets across, which is remarkably better than some of their other stuff.

EDIT: The guy, I'm certain it was Ytlaya, who said that it's basically a mystery manhwa is spot on. The author herself said it was a romance manhwa, but if so, it's a pretty hosed up and creepy one. I'm going to keep reading for the mystery, but man, none of these characters are going to end up happy by the end.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 27, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think what I like most is that the story has a very un-cliche feel to it, for lack of a better description. I feel like I'm reading a story unlike most other stories I've read before. I also like the strong focus on character drama rather than battles or a conflict with an explicitly evil enemy.

edit: There's one thing I'm a little confused about. Are planets in the Kubera universe just sorta floating around and in relative proximity to one another, or do they orbit stars and what have you like in our own universe? I get the impression that the planet they're on (Willrarv) is significantly smaller than Earth. There's also a picture of Gandharva behind a planet at one point and the planet has a visibly uneven surface which seems to indicate it's smaller than our own planet.

edit2: Oh wait this next chapter mentioned Gandharva swallowing a red giant star. I'm wondering if maybe the author doesn't quite understand the size difference between planets, stars, and galaxies.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 27, 2017

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Oh wait this next chapter mentioned Gandharva swallowing a red giant star. I'm wondering if maybe the author doesn't quite understand the size difference between planets, stars, and galaxies.

I don't think it's the author not understanding size differences or science, and more not caring. Sura, Gods, etc in Kubera are more in common with terrifying great old ones, than spirits and what not. They swallow suns if they want, because that makes this story more terrifying.

I expect the answer is 'science doesn't work here like you think it does, but some things look vaguely similar to the real world'.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

edit: There's one thing I'm a little confused about. Are planets in the Kubera universe just sorta floating around and in relative proximity to one another, or do they orbit stars and what have you like in our own universe? I get the impression that the planet they're on (Willrarv) is significantly smaller than Earth. There's also a picture of Gandharva behind a planet at one point and the planet has a visibly uneven surface which seems to indicate it's smaller than our own planet.

I think Asha mentions at some point that Kalibloom is on the other side of the planet from Atera and that it's 20,000km away. That would make Wilrarv Earth-size.

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't think it's the author not understanding size differences or science, and more not caring. Sura, Gods, etc in Kubera are more in common with terrifying great old ones, than spirits and what not. They swallow suns if they want, because that makes this story more terrifying.

I expect the answer is 'science doesn't work here like you think it does, but some things look vaguely similar to the real world'.

This is the smart way to think about it, though. The entire universe runs on magic. Yuta regularly swallows giant monsters dozens of times larger than himself whole. Gandharva eating stars is probably as much about his being Agni's complement than anything else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teo is cute and Gandharva needs to hook up with her. Is Gandharva's spouse (or whoever is Shakuntala's mother) still alive? I feel like it was mentioned but I can't remember.

edit: As a side note, I notice the art has gradually gotten better. It's still nothing particularly exceptional, but it isn't quite as awkward as it was at the beginning of the series.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 27, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Teo is cute and Gandharva needs to hook up with her. Is Gandharva's spouse (or whoever is Shakuntala's mother) still alive? I feel like it was mentioned but I can't remember.

Pretty sure she's dead and so he started to be extra protective of Shakuntala

And then well it's still not confirmed either way but the gods gave all the sura a particularly raw deal :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Menaka's dead. Dead in most of the flashbacks, even. Dead for a long time.

Ytlaya posted:

Teo is cute and Gandharva needs to hook up with her.

Yeah. :unsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So from what I understand Mara Suras aren't really intelligent and are sorta like regular animals, right? But I think I remember it saying the next step up, Upanis, can take human-ish form after their third stage.

So doesn't that make it kinda hosed up that Yuta ate those 5th stage Upanis alive outside of Kalibloom? I get that Sura have their own morals (which basically say it's fine to hunt/eat non-allied Sura) but I can't imagine Kubera being okay with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are very few things about yuta which are not hosed up to some degree. an insatiable hunger for the flesh of sentient beings isn't extreme enough to stand out from the rest of his problems.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

yeah Yuta is a goddamn mess. And soon (finish season 2) Leez is going to be a total mess. She's already on the brink.
Her new target is Asha, understandably, and she can not talk about it with anyone other than Yuta, the dude who fights to not show his full affection because in his case that means literally eating her face. Oh yeah it doesn't help she is now surrounded by hostiles 24/7 because she considers being alone worse than being trapped in a realm filled with magic psychotic omnivores. The only one who understands her is one of said omnivores. And wants to eat her face.

Season 2's best moment(don't loving look if you're not up to date!!!) will forever be Asha getting ran over/owned by a small magic car. It's just amazing and cathartic. gently caress you, ultra wizard. Visnu didn't clue you on that one, eh? Did he find it too funny to tell? I loving hope so.

Regarding how the comic is tagged: I am pretty sure the author herself said that the story is a tragedy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Uhhhh apparently GoHS is not quite over and has one more arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Regarding how the comic is tagged: I am pretty sure the author herself said that the story is a tragedy.

Um excuse me, the comic is a fantasy romance. :colbert:

One thing I like is how, when Yuta/Leez encounter Maruna and Yuta reveals that he's a half-Garuda Sura, Leez is more or less totally okay with it. I always thought it would have been kind of against Leez's character to suddenly turn on Yuta just for being a Sura himself (though him being the half-brother of Maruna might definitely add some stress.

Also, it kinda supports the idea that Asha has been sheltering her too much and that she is actually mature enough to deal with a lot of this stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 28, 2017