Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like my smartwatch and it looks really nice and I get compliments on it regularly, Asus Zenwatch 3, so I actually hope that at the very least annoys you mildly irl and at the very best enrages you

Is it supposed to get Wear 2.0 soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cravius posted:

Is it supposed to get Wear 2.0 soon?

Yeah, it was on Google's list for the next batch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

While I overall agree with your complaints about Samsung, the quick toggle for wifi and Bluetooth is the same way on my stock Pixel. I agree it's a stupid design choice,

You know who else thought this was a stupid design choice? Google. They only put it there because Samsung people kept demanding them and they stated as much when they announced the Nougat developer preview.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Adding to this (based on my S7 Edge experience):

[TRUTH]

This is all exactly right but I'm convinced there is a significant, fixed percentage of people who legitimately cannot tell the difference between good UI and bad. That's distinct from being able to tell but not caring, a population I'd imagine to be larger. Still, I'd say the two combined dwarf those that can tell and do care and there's your Samsung demographic.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I enjoy my phone. I'm glad you enjoy yours

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Man, the Ars review is really brutal in places.

Lol I learned my lesson on gimmick poo poo with that loving HTC Evo 3D thing with the two cameras and the lenticular screen or whatever it's called. They crammed a ton of specs into it but it turned out it needed all that extra overhead just to run the stupid-rear end gimmick poo poo. Samsung typically isn't as bad with the gimmicks but lol they must have gotten wind of the Pixel design specs early on and decided to just try cramming extra poo poo into the S8 without knowing Google would never be able to match them on inventory or market share to begin with.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Samsung typically isn't as bad with the gimmicks

:crossarms: Edge display? Heartbeat monitor? Baby blinder Iris scanner??? I guess it's not pico projectors and MotoMods and 3D cameras but it's certainly gimmickry.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

You know who else thought this was a stupid design choice? Google. They only put it there because Samsung people kept demanding them and they stated as much when they announced the Nougat developer preview.

That's news to me, why would Samsung demand an UI choice that does not affect their devices in any way?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

That's news to me, why would Samsung demand an UI choice that does not affect their devices in any way?

By "Samsung people" I was referring to surveys of their users, not people within the company.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Desk Lamp posted:

He means the kind of consumer who self-identifies as a Samsung fan.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

By "Samsung people" I was referring to surveys of their users, not people within the company.

...So the people that end up using the phones?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That actually did get me thinking though, they mentioned specifically that they asked users what they liked about their OEM devices so they could incorporate some of those software features into Android proper. I mean, okay, I guess there's some benefit to that, but it seems like everything I ever hear the most vocal proponents of OEM devices talk about are hardware features. Stuff like specs, design, and, as mentioned above, gimmicks.

Like I'd bet the biggest draw for consumers to those devices would be SD card support which is something that Google just isn't going to do. I'd be surprised if any purely software things made the list in any significant percentage--I mean were there people leaning Nexus until they found out there weren't notification toggles?

PerrineClostermann posted:

...So the people that end up using the phones?

Yes, users. Specifically, the most poorly informed, aesthetically blind ones.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I mean, okay, I guess there's some benefit to that, but it seems like everything I ever hear the most vocal proponents of OEM devices talk about are hardware features. Stuff like specs, design, and, as mentioned above, gimmicks.

I saw a youtube video the other day where a guy was lamenting a phone with a 3000-someodd mAH battery didn't instead have some obscene 5000+ mAH battery, like that would just comfortably fit inside of whatever the device was without making it stupidly thick. "It would have been nice to see (brand name) do something we don't have the technological ability to presently do." Also Samsung phones are known for their gimmicky bullshit if not for anything else. A screen that scrolls when you look down??

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Soooo... there is still no way to sync high resolution contact pictures to you Android device in 2017? Every single picture has been compressed into a blurry, low resoltion mess.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The thing is, whenever someone brings up the "useless toggles" they always use the useful ones as the example. Not only are there situations where you'd want to toggle bluetooth, wifi, or location off, they're also shortcuts to their respective settings in both Pixel and Galaxy phones. Samsung's issue is having extraneous toggles like SmartStay, which no one would ever turn off. Having quick toggles for things like do not disturb or screen rotation is something not many people would argue against.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Soooo... there is still no way to sync high resolution contact pictures to you Android device in 2017? Every single picture has been compressed into a blurry, low resoltion mess.

Sync from where? What app?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Huh... My mother's LG Stylo 2 just got 7.0...

Did not expect that to ever happen....

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

She'll probably complain that things are different. That's what normal people do when they get an OS update.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The XKCD Larper posted:

Sounds good but that cable looks like the same kind of matte materials from the Galaxy ones that sticks to skin/clothing. I like the glossy kind of thin cable material that you might find on a cheap headphone from <2010. My problem is that the Galaxy type sheathing stuck to itself so well that it frequently bound up around things instead of just sliding. Is this binding ever a problem with the Basics ones?

Same thing, is this ever an issue?

It doesn't happen at all on mine. I'm on a two year old pair and there's nothing binding.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The thing is, whenever someone brings up the "useless toggles" they always use the useful ones as the example. Not only are there situations where you'd want to toggle bluetooth, wifi, or location off, they're also shortcuts to their respective settings in both Pixel and Galaxy phones. Samsung's issue is having extraneous toggles like SmartStay, which no one would ever turn off. Having quick toggles for things like do not disturb or screen rotation is something not many people would argue against.

You're correct, of course. The problems are 1) no one would agree on what the useful toggles are and 2) there aren't enough useful toggles to warrant such a prominent UI.

For instance, the three you called useful I've never toggled in six years. Not a single time ever. Going into the settings I suppose is something I might do every once in a great while but not anywhere nearly enough to justify having it always present in my notification pane.

DND and rotation are really useful toggles but I'm having trouble coming up with four more everyone could agree on. I'd want a screen timeout toggle but obviously no one else does because it's not even a stock choice. Maybe whatever f.lux thing that they're eventually going to bake into the OS. After that I can't think of anything worthy of such a prime location.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

LastInLine posted:

You're correct, of course. The problems are 1) no one would agree on what the useful toggles are and 2) there aren't enough useful toggles to warrant such a prominent UI.

For instance, the three you called useful I've never toggled in six years. Not a single time ever. Going into the settings I suppose is something I might do every once in a great while but not anywhere nearly enough to justify having it always present in my notification pane.

DND and rotation are really useful toggles but I'm having trouble coming up with four more everyone could agree on. I'd want a screen timeout toggle but obviously no one else does because it's not even a stock choice. Maybe whatever f.lux thing that they're eventually going to bake into the OS. After that I can't think of anything worthy of such a prime location.

Meanwhile i've always thought rotation is the most useless toggle and i'd be annoyed if there wasn't a wifi toggle, which I guess just illustrates your broader point. Toggles.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I disable my wi-fi rather frequently, because my train has wi-fi but sometimes the captive portal doesn't work and I can't get a connection so I need to turn it off to switch back to cell.

And then I forgot to turn it back on when I get home and I'm chewing through data all night, really I'd rather it was a "disconnect from this network" button.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I actually use the rotation toggle. It is great for when you want to lie down on the couch and use your phone in portrait mode without your phone constantly switching back and forth from landscape.

Can you not adjust the order of your quick toggle buttons on your phones? I always adjust mine to put all the important toggles at the front of the list.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nalin posted:

Can you not adjust the order of your quick toggle buttons on your phones? I always adjust mine to put all the important toggles at the front of the list.

You can and I do but it doesn't change the fact that I have six spots and need two. You also can't have stuff on the quick settings panel and not have them in the toggle list, you have to have the first six be toggles. So if I'd like to know what wifi network I'm on, I have to have wifi on the list.

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I disable my wi-fi rather frequently, because my train has wi-fi but sometimes the captive portal doesn't work and I can't get a connection so I need to turn it off to switch back to cell.

And then I forgot to turn it back on when I get home and I'm chewing through data all night, really I'd rather it was a "disconnect from this network" button.

Wouldn't it be easier to just forget that network rather than constantly janitoring your wifi state?

Since I have unlimited data, I never connect to public wifi. I have no reason to count my bits and bytes and public wifi is slow, insecure, and with captive portals, a real hassle. It's definitely better to just not deal with that poo poo altogether and it's not like I'm using that much data anyway, the forums aren't exactly HD video.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The XKCD Larper posted:

Sounds good but that cable looks like the same kind of matte materials from the Galaxy ones that sticks to skin/clothing. I like the glossy kind of thin cable material that you might find on a cheap headphone from <2010. My problem is that the Galaxy type sheathing stuck to itself so well that it frequently bound up around things instead of just sliding. Is this binding ever a problem with the Basics ones?

Same thing, is this ever an issue?

The Panasonics I linked are glossy smooth cables. I haven't had any issues with sticking or anything like that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

She'll probably complain that things are different. That's what normal people do when they get an OS update.

I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but to the average user 7.0 changed barely anything at all. The UI is practically indistinguishable from 6.0.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've had a galaxy S2, S4, S6 and now S8+ I'm not a Samsung fanboy, it's just that where i live there isn't much of a choice.

I've never seen the Samsung lag people mention. apps do start to need better hardware as time goes on, I guess.

I think of the 4 phones the S6 was the best for the time, and also the most disappointing. The camera was great but the battery life was horrible right out of the box and it constantly overheated within 15 mins of trying to use the Gear VR. That said. As a phone, it did everything I wanted. I wasn't even going to get an S8+ until i sorted out a credit card discount that made it almost free.

So, my wife and i have together had 7 Samsung phones in 8 years. In that time only one has ever needed servicing. My son still uses my s4 as a media player. It still runs pretty quickly if you use that app to turn off all the bloatware. My crazy colleague was still using the same Galaxy S2 right up to last month! I know another guy who still uses his rooted S2 and says it's fine.

Their software is crap but i don't notice it at all in day to day use. The only big issue i have with them is their late updates, which is rubbish.

The S8+ battery is truly amazing though. It's now 4pm and and I've had to make a load of calls after someone rear ended me. I've got 2 hours of screen on time on top of that from waiting around the hospital and I'm at still at 70%! Phone owns.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

I've had a galaxy S2, S4, S6 and now S8+

You are not going to notice the issues with Samsung phones, such as the lag, until you use something that does not experience it such as the Pixel. You don't have a method of comparison, you cannot be objective.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

CLAM DOWN posted:

You are not going to notice the issues with Samsung phones, such as the lag, until you use something that does not experience it such as the Pixel. You don't have a method of comparison, you cannot be objective.

I've seen and played with other phones and I'm very sensitive to lag on computers. If Samsung phones lag then it's not enough to have worried me.

I always disable all their weird apps and use nova / action launcher, as well as speeding up the animation speed in dev ops. Maybe that helps.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I personally never experience any performance issues on my Samsung devices as I make sure to keep them pretty lean, disabling all the bloatware and not using apps that hog all the resources. But I definitely understand how slow they can be. My mother has managed to turn her Galaxy S7 into a performance black hole with all her apps that stick in the background. I can easily, EASILY believe that a Google Pixel has a much higher available performance pool than the Galaxy S8, and suffers less from problematic apps.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

I personally never experience any performance issues on my Samsung devices as I make sure to keep them pretty lean, disabling all the bloatware and not using apps that hog all the resources. But I definitely understand how slow they can be. My mother has managed to turn her Galaxy S7 into a performance black hole with all her apps that stick in the background. I can easily, EASILY believe that a Google Pixel has a much higher available performance pool than the Galaxy S8, and suffers less from problematic apps.
It's mostly not about "slow" or "performance" or "problematic apps". It's little frame skips when scrolling and such, and fractionally slower response times on every single touch no matter how much bloatware and other junk you uninstall or don't use.

Before the Pixel every single Android phone was the same in this regard so it's absolutely understandable that people don't appreciate the difference. And some people don't care either, and that's fine. But people saying "I've owned five Samsungs and they were all fine" simply aren't understanding the point that is being made.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I came to read everyone's reaction to the Ars review of the S8 and I was not disappointed

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

And some people don't care either, and that's fine. But people saying "I've owned five Samsungs and they were all fine" simply aren't understanding the point that is being made.

Well I just scrolled through a few different things, including the play store and it IS fine. I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe the Pixel does it better, but that device isn't available in my country and importing it it certainly wouldn't cost me $400 like the s8+ did.

If a problem is imperceptible enough that it causes no problems for users, is it really a problem for those users? (Even if it's apparently a problem for Pixel users).

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Posting from my new pixel XL. Holy poo poo was it worth the wait. Things which I've noticed so far:

- the keyboard auto defaults to halfway up the screen forcing you to hold the device deeper in your hands.

- single handed typing was impossible on my Nexus 6 but on the pixel as it's less wide is more easily used one handed

-Vibration whilst typing gives good haptic feedback.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If a problem is imperceptible enough that it causes no problems for users, is it really a problem for those users? (Even if it's apparently a problem for Pixel users).

My grandma was right about her 17 taskbar addons afterall

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Remember that time you had to use a computer with a hard drive after exclusively using one with an SSD for a while? With Samsung, you can experience all of that and more.

I mean I get it, if all you can buy is a Kia, don't test drive a Ferrari. Just don't sit here and tell me that the Rio is "fine".

FistEnergy posted:

I came to read everyone's reaction to the Ars review of the S8 and I was not disappointed

It's so loving good, right? The poo poo about the screen resolution is the best.

"Hey let's put this amazing screen on it then run it at half resolution oh yeah the framerate sucks too but man, will you look at that spec sheet!!"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

spiky butthole posted:

Posting from my new pixel XL. Holy poo poo was it worth the wait. Things which I've noticed so far:

- the keyboard auto defaults to halfway up the screen forcing you to hold the device deeper in your hands.

What? Can you give us a screenshot? I've got a regular Pixel and the keyboard had always been in the normal place - the bottom ~third.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

spiky butthole posted:

- single handed typing was impossible on my Nexus 6 but on the pixel as it's less wide is more easily used one handed

-Vibration whilst typing gives good haptic feedback.

Key reasons a Pixel is better: gives good haptic feedback lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looks like Samsung phones are still burning people:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

:crossarms: Edge display? Heartbeat monitor? Baby blinder Iris scanner??? I guess it's not pico projectors and MotoMods and 3D cameras but it's certainly gimmickry.

No I mean not as bad as they are with the S8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looks like Samsung phones are still burning people:

:golfclap: