Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dude needs to get some water going on that saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm curious to see the final result of that dude's non-OSHA compliant work. Jake's Pizza made this way too easy to creep:

Whenever I see a map image with one of those red markers, I'll always remember this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Was that the one where they blew up their boiler for the house insurance money but moved literally everything out first before the "accident"?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Deteriorata posted:

And Jake's Pizza sucks.

Jakes is closed, so is every loving other thing on main st. The project on the common is a huge cluster overbudget and there's so much fighting in the town about it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Yawgmoth posted:

Was that the one where they blew up their boiler for the house insurance money but moved literally everything out first before the "accident"?

No that was in Indianapolis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Hill_explosion

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It looks like a gas explosion to me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MF_James posted:

I also didn't wear ear protection like half the time, I'm surprised I still have hearing to be honest.

As I sat in the office recently I fired up Youtube and started playing back tones from 20kHz, stepping down to 19, then 18 and so on until I could hear something. Younger guys in the room were yelling at me because it was loud and really annoying but I was blissfully unaware until it got to 15. So now I fire it up at 16kHz whenever I'm in a dick mood.
If you try this yourself, I've noticed that some versions I can hear at 16 and some at 15, so perhaps the Youtube compression messes with their uploads or something?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MF_James posted:

I never had an issue with swollen tear ducts, but god drat the boogers, I'm sure I've also done some horrible things to my lungs because of that.

I also didn't wear ear protection like half the time, I'm surprised I still have hearing to be honest.

Always wore eye protection though, too much poo poo has kicked up from the cutting joints, I'd probably not have eyes right now without protection.

Lol if your eye protection wasn't squinting real hard

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Boat osha,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-zq4azB_8

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YavpWgV2Ou0

How do you not notice this? :catstare:

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Crystal meth.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Miso Beno posted:

Crystal meth.

quote:

Well, Congress is racing back to Washington to outlaw these.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Here's the story behind the clip:
http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20170420/truck-drags-car-in-cajon-pass-wont-stop-and-its-all-on-video

Miso Beno posted:

Crystal meth.

I thought so too but:

article posted:

Officer’s arrived on scene and did not detect any signs of impairment on the truck driver and did a preliminary examination of his log book, which appeared to be in compliance, CHP officials.

Maestas was allowed to drive away from the scene.

So he merged into the car, draged him for a mile or so and they let him just drive off?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

weg posted:

So he merged into the car, draged him for a mile or so and they let him just drive off?

Well if the truck driver wasn't impaired and his logs weren't hosed with, then there was no crime committed. Maybe careless driving; but that's a ticket, not an arrestable offense.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zipperelli. posted:

Well if the truck driver wasn't impaired and his logs weren't hosed with, then there was no crime committed. Maybe careless driving; but that's a ticket, not an arrestable offense.

depending on how you look at it, getting into a crash and then carrying on driving is a hit-and-run.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
That much I agree with but with the mangled car squarely in his driver's side rear-view mirror I would think they would at least request another driver to be dispatched to continue with the load. Dude might have been exhausted but with the hit of adrenaline after running over someone's car then being interrogated by other drivers and the police, he could have seemed plenty alert in the short term. I've heard of people being dragged in for blood draws for similar situations but the video in question doesn't really detail the event well, only the immediate aftermath.

Hopefully he starts using his mirrors with a bit more diligence.

edit:

Jabor posted:

depending on how you look at it, getting into a crash and then carrying on driving is a hit-and-run.
Also, this.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Its not a hit and run if you take the other guy with you

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Jabor posted:

Can you hitrun without knowing that you've hit someone?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hit and take, so, grand theft auto? Kidnapping?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
A bit lighthearted for this thread but: early motion picture sets:

https://i.imgur.com/CboPZtp.mp4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Volcott posted:

Can you hitrun without knowing that you've hit someone?

Ignorantia nihil excusat.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Zopotantor posted:

Ignorantia nihil excusat.

Not knowing leaving the scene after you've hit someone is illegal and not knowing you've hit someone, thus having no reason to do anything other than drive normally seem like two different things.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

neonbregna posted:

Lol if your eye protection wasn't squinting real hard
Safety squints is by far my favorite name for eyepro :-|

revolther
May 27, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

It's this, but moreso, if the PROFESSIONAL DRIVER wasn't impaired and his logs weren't hosed with; then the idiot tourist on unfamiliar roads was to blame.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Volcott posted:

Not knowing leaving the scene after you've hit someone is illegal and not knowing you've hit someone, thus having no reason to do anything other than drive normally seem like two different things.

I was a bit facetious, but a prosecutor would probably argue that if you don't notice you hit someone, you may have been distracted or not in full control of your vehicle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Without an eyewitness cop it would be a full scaled accident investigation to try and give the guy a reckless op ticket on the basis of side view mirror fuckery. A reckless op ticket isn't going to pay for an investigation like that so might as well pass the hot potato to insurance underwriters.

Defensive driving standard procedure is to yield to a leading vehicle merging because you don't want to make assumptions about where their blind spots are at and how good they are at checking them so I wouldn't be surprised to hear the car dude ended up needing to cover repairs/totalling through his personal insurance too.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

MisterOblivious posted:

A bit lighthearted for this thread but: early motion picture sets:

This is a pretty interesting read regarding movies and safety: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_and_television_accidents

"The Valley of the Giants (1919). Silent era star Wallace Reid was badly injured in a train crash during filming in Oregon. His injuries caused him severe pain and the studio supplied him with increasing quantities of morphine so he could keep working. Addicted to morphine and also suffering from alcoholism, Reid died in 1923 at the age of 32."

"Wings (1927). During filming of the World War I aerial combat scenes, stunt pilot Dick Grace was required to deliberately crash-land a Fokker D-VII, specially modified to "crumple" on impact. When the Fokker struck the ground, the landing gear failed to crumple, making the impact a heavier one than planned. This caused Grace's safety straps to break, sending his head through the instrument panel, leaving him with four crushed vertebrae and a broken neck. Amazingly, Grace spent only six weeks in the hospital and was back performing stunt work within a year."

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Pingiivi posted:

"Wings (1927). During filming of the World War I aerial combat scenes, stunt pilot Dick Grace was required to deliberately crash-land a Fokker D-VII, specially modified to "crumple" on impact. When the Fokker struck the ground, the landing gear failed to crumple, making the impact a heavier one than planned. This caused Grace's safety straps to break, sending his head through the instrument panel, leaving him with four crushed vertebrae and a broken neck. Amazingly, Grace spent only six weeks in the hospital and was back performing stunt work within a year."

"I fell eight thousand feet onto a pile of jagged rocks. Of course, people were tougher in those days. I was jitterbugging that very night!"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

zedprime posted:

Without an eyewitness cop it would be a full scaled accident investigation to try and give the guy a reckless op ticket on the basis of side view mirror fuckery. A reckless op ticket isn't going to pay for an investigation like that so might as well pass the hot potato to insurance underwriters.

Defensive driving standard procedure is to yield to a leading vehicle merging because you don't want to make assumptions about where their blind spots are at and how good they are at checking them so I wouldn't be surprised to hear the car dude ended up needing to cover repairs/totalling through his personal insurance too.

I'm legit curious exactly what the semi driver could see in his mirrors after the car got stuck. On a big semi like that, there's gonna be some pretty nasty blind spots and it wouldn't surprise me if the guy who got hit was in one the whole time. Not that it excuses the semi driver from being at fault necessarily, but I was taught that the exact place he got stuck is the place where a semi driver can't see you and to not stay in that area any longer than is strictly necessary.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pingiivi posted:

This is a pretty interesting read regarding movies and safety: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_and_television_accidents

"The Valley of the Giants (1919). Silent era star Wallace Reid was badly injured in a train crash during filming in Oregon. His injuries caused him severe pain and the studio supplied him with increasing quantities of morphine so he could keep working. Addicted to morphine and also suffering from alcoholism, Reid died in 1923 at the age of 32."

The Eagle (2011). When filming in a freezing river, actors have a mixture of boiling hot water and river water poured down their suits to stay warm. A crew member forgot to mix the hot water with the river water during filming; as a result, Channing Tatum was scalded with boiling water that burned the skin off the tip of his penis

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've had to panic stop and slam into reverse before because an 18 wheeler at a full stop at a redlight decided to change lanes while I was pulling alongside.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Volcott posted:

Seems to me like the scene of the accident was wherever he was.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seems to me like the scene of the accident was wherever he was.

Can't be charged with leaving the scene if you take the accident with you. *taps side of head*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

shame on an IGA posted:

I've had to panic stop and slam into reverse before because an 18 wheeler at a full stop at a redlight decided to change lanes while I was pulling alongside.

There's also a whole bunch of videos of trucks going around a corner, accidentally snagging a car and taking it along for the ride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61gDjlMcBk

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Azathoth posted:

I'm legit curious exactly what the semi driver could see in his mirrors after the car got stuck. On a big semi like that, there's gonna be some pretty nasty blind spots and it wouldn't surprise me if the guy who got hit was in one the whole time. Not that it excuses the semi driver from being at fault necessarily, but I was taught that the exact place he got stuck is the place where a semi driver can't see you and to not stay in that area any longer than is strictly necessary.

In the video the semi is also in a gradual turn to the right pulling the cab/mirrors to point away from the back left corner where the car is stuck. It obviously sounds like he hosed up on his initial merge but I can totally buy him not noticing it afterwards especially going up that sort of grade, an extra few thousand pounds when you're hauling 50K of carrots in a double isn't going to exactly be noticeable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tangy yet delightful posted:

In the video the semi is also in a gradual turn to the right pulling the cab/mirrors to point away from the back left corner where the car is stuck. It obviously sounds like he hosed up on his initial merge but I can totally buy him not noticing it afterwards especially going up that sort of grade, an extra few thousand pounds when you're hauling 50K of carrots in a double isn't going to exactly be noticeable.

Yeah, there has been question raised as to the cammer's claim that this had been going on for several miles. If true and this had gone through a straight stretch, that trucker needs to lose their license. If it only happened just before the video started and they were always on that turning part of the climb then I can entirely accept the idea that he never saw it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I gotta get these 50K carrots to Washington. I got no time for stoppin'.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Man, those self-driving trucks can't get here soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Volcott posted:

Man, those self-driving trucks can't get here soon enough.

Yeah, it'll be a whole lot easier to rob them when they crash because it rained