Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/stgsoundlabs/triggersequencer/

This guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

If there's not, there should be. That's a very basic logic function typically implemented with a flip-flop circuit. You could build your own with a single IC.

Yeah, thanks, that looks exactly like what I'm looking for. What's that genre of circuit called? Getting the feeling I'm inching my way towards textbooks but is there a good place to read up on that sort of thing? I have a decent formal/symbolic logic background but no idea about how to translate that to circuits.

That would be perfect if it were like whole notes/bars/4 bars instead of quarter/8th/16th notes. (Or could I just clock it at like a quarter of the speed I want? Is it _that_ simple?)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah, thanks, that looks exactly like what I'm looking for. What's that genre of circuit called? Getting the feeling I'm inching my way towards textbooks but is there a good place to read up on that sort of thing? I have a decent formal/symbolic logic background but no idea about how to translate that to circuits.
its called a flip flop. there are uh, d type and i think f type maybe? idr the 2nd kind

quote:

That would be perfect if it were like whole notes/bars/4 bars instead of quarter/8th/16th notes. (Or could I just clock it at like a quarter of the speed I want? Is it _that_ simple?)

get a clock divider. that way you can use a squarewave lfo for 16th notes to clock your 16 step seq's, then the lower divisions for other stuff, like the /4 for your kick if u want 4 to the floor

also, logic can help you build patterns (XOR/OR/And &c) and using a vclfo as clock and feeding its attenuated square wave back to the cv in can give you shuffle

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

its called a flip flop. there are uh, d type and i think f type maybe? idr the 2nd kind

errr I meant like whats the category of circuits that would contain flip flop circuits? Googling "Analog logic" seems like it gets me a lot of ring mod and XOR stuff which isn't quite what I'm looking for... or I'm not looking hard enough.

Sequential logic maybe? Part of my problem is I don't really know enough to talk about what I'm trying to figure out lol

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

get a clock divider. that way you can use a squarewave lfo for 16th notes to clock your 16 step seq's, then the lower divisions for other stuff, like the /4 for your kick if u want 4 to the floor

also, logic can help you build patterns (XOR/OR/And &c) and using a vclfo as clock and feeding its attenuated square wave back to the cv in can give you shuffle

I can run a clock divider into another clock divider right? I'm just looking for much lower resolution sequencing than that, I have my patterns all figured out but I want to, say, toggle a flip flop on for 8 bars, then turn it off, but not regularly.

Here's what I'm trying to do: so say I had a flip flop, gating something that I'm using for an effect on certain bars, mostly in the intro. Right now if I want one trigger on the 1st bar, on on the 9th, one on the 63nd, one on the 65th, one on the 129th, one on the 196th, etc.... I can do it with a 606 and a tom out, by making patterns with one trigger on the one, and patterns with no trigger, and chaining them as needed (so 1 bar trigger, 7 bars no trigger, 1 bar trigger, 61 bars, etc.) But this feels like kind of a waste of tracks that I could be doing a lot more with.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone know where to get a SwinSID Nano? I ordered the SID Guts Deluxe and I don't think it comes with a SID chip.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

JamesKPolk posted:

errr I meant like whats the category of circuits that would contain flip flop circuits? Googling "Analog logic" seems like it gets me a lot of ring mod and XOR stuff which isn't quite what I'm looking for... or I'm not looking hard enough.

Sequential logic maybe? Part of my problem is I don't really know enough to talk about what I'm trying to figure out lol

I can run a clock divider into another clock divider right? I'm just looking for much lower resolution sequencing than that, I have my patterns all figured out but I want to, say, toggle a flip flop on for 8 bars, then turn it off, but not regularly.

Here's what I'm trying to do: so say I had a flip flop, gating something that I'm using for an effect on certain bars, mostly in the intro. Right now if I want one trigger on the 1st bar, on on the 9th, one on the 63nd, one on the 65th, one on the 129th, one on the 196th, etc.... I can do it with a 606 and a tom out, by making patterns with one trigger on the one, and patterns with no trigger, and chaining them as needed (so 1 bar trigger, 7 bars no trigger, 1 bar trigger, 61 bars, etc.) But this feels like kind of a waste of tracks that I could be doing a lot more with.

Boolean logic.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that. It's actually digital logic, as triggers and gates only have two states: high and low. Also, it's sequential logic, as the current and future state of the circuit is dependent on its past state.

You can obtain a trigger-to-gate-toggle effect by using a J/K flip-flop with J and K high and your trigger to CLK, or by using a T (toggle) flip-flop in the same manner with T high. You could also use a D flip-flop with NotQ routed to D.

Interestingly, the core of a clock divider with whole number divisions is actually just a binary counter, which is constructed out of flip-flops.

As to your actual application, your arbitrary trigger points (1,9,63,65,129,196) are going to require something programmable to some extent, so a simple clock divider won't do. I have the Monome Teletype which is fully-programmable and could accomplish this task. You'd have to write a script to scan a pattern every trigger input for its current count and reset the counter after some maximum.

The ER-301 might also be capable of this, but I don't know.

If you can already program this sequence with an external piece of hardware in a paradigm you understand, that's probably the easiest way forward.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thank you, that's helping me so much in organizing my goals. Part of not wanting to use the options I have is I'd rather use them for other things, and thinking there must be a simpler way...

I think I have two kind of needs - one of them is send a trigger at my choice of 8 bar intervals to various flip-flop circuits (there are plenty of modules but it could be fun to diy too... hmm), and I'm thinking I could do that with a step sequencer and one or several clock dividers, going to like 1/256 or something.

But in researching I'm realizing I'm also interested in doing complex logic sequencing, and the Teletype (which looks like overkill, in the best way) has me curious - reading the description I was thinking of like a progressive fibonacci clock divider, where it pings every 1, 1, 2, 3, etc steps/bars/events, which I'm sure is just scratching the surface of what it could do.

Anyone have a Yarns? (Or a recommendation for a better midi to voltage module?) What's the slowest the clock output can go?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The only problem with Teletype is that you need to take the time to design and write your programs. It lacks immediacy, seemingly antithetical to the modular paradigm.

Once you have a good set of scenes built, it's like a Disting in that you call up what you need as needed, but unlike the Disting you may find yourself making modifications live or wishing it wasn't so many HP for a simple function.

Then you spend a weekend making hybrid scenes to try to squeeze more out of it. Then a week or two rolling your own firmware to build a specialized EG/LFO with 20kHz resolution.

Also check out Ornaments and Crime, which I forgot about until this moment.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
I'm real tempted to spend $8400 on an analog logic gate appliance specifically for robot farts but instead I got a normie general purpose computer laptop which does everything the analog computer would have done but now I also get an obscure social stigma from rude obsessive analog synthers.

Alternatively, consider something like max/msp with the expert sleepers module and a low latency DC coupled audio interface like the MOTU 828

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's more on-point than wankery with Teletype. Computers can sequence better than anything due to the ample UI options. I have a Yamaha QY700, arguably the pinnacle of flexible MIDI sequencing hardware and it's very fast once you know how to use it, but it's about 100 times easier to pull up a modern DAW and bang out a pattern.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I just got a Social Entropy Engine and it's so ridiculously dope that I think it's what people THINK a Cirklon is. drat.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Computer Serf posted:

I'm real tempted to spend $8400 on an analog logic gate appliance specifically for robot farts but instead I got a normie general purpose computer laptop which does everything the analog computer would have done but now I also get an obscure social stigma from rude obsessive analog synthers.

Alternatively, consider something like max/msp with the expert sleepers module and a low latency DC coupled audio interface like the MOTU 828

Yeah part of why I was asking was to see if doing it w/ computers actually was cheaper/easier - I'd probably spec it out that way at least if I had Max/MSP. I'm not totally sure it is for me (I think a clock divider, a flip-flop, and a SQ-1 just about gets me there for simple stuff) but being able to DIY some of it is appealing to me too.

But you're like the 3rd person to suggest that so maybe you're on to something. What got me stared thinking about this stuff, ironically, was trying to figure out how to get cv DAW-style automation curves without the DAW.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I just got a Social Entropy Engine and it's so ridiculously dope that I think it's what people THINK a Cirklon is. drat.

Not what I wanted to hear!!! Do you find the 8 tracks limiting? Are there any ways to control things (clock, program change, etc) beyond that? It's nice w/ the MPC flow to be able to throw like 3 midi tracks at a single thing without feeling like you're losing out. (That's basically the one reason I haven't tried to trade someone already haha)

breaks
May 12, 2001

Aside from Max/MSP, Reaktor 6 with (included/free UL dls) Blocks is also really good for modular sequencing sent out through an ES-3 or whatever, if you don't mind getting the computer involved.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

breaks posted:

Blocks is also really good for modular sequencing sent out through an ES-3 or whatever, if you don't mind getting the computer involved.

It's not that great trough ES-4 ☹️ (doesn't loving work)

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Not what I wanted to hear!!! Do you find the 8 tracks limiting? Are there any ways to control things (clock, program change, etc) beyond that? It's nice w/ the MPC flow to be able to throw like 3 midi tracks at a single thing without feeling like you're losing out. (That's basically the one reason I haven't tried to trade someone already haha)

I don't personally find the 8 tracks limiting, but I don't understand why it can't do 16 or even 64 tracks in this day and age. I, like you, love to throw three or four "lanes" of data at a single instrument without feeling like I have to conserve. The Engine guy has hinted that more tracks might be coming, he just has to figure out how to make it work with the interface. I appreciate his commitment to keeping the interface coherent - this thing is the anti-Octatrack in that sense.

Last night I was working on a song with the Engine driving two different patches on my System 100m (melody and bassline), TR-8 (808 kit), SP-1200 (sampled drums and sampled bits), 0-Coast (funky acidic line), Volca FM (weird FM tweaky bits), Arp Odyssey (arpeggio sequence), and Alpha Juno (chords). That was more than enough to work with via 8 tracks - I could probably make three records with just that configuration alone. I can also drive another sequencer off of the dedicated DIN output, like my MC-202, MC-4, or Beastep Pro, if I want to get even more going on but I like the idea of controlling the entire arrangement from one device.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
He's already got the drum tracks splittable which wasn't in there originally iirc. There's a mess of new things in Engine, I'm sorely tempted to grab one but lol :retrogames:

Boy that new novation looks great. Unfortunate they've still got a hardon for awful displays but at least it's not that old two line character display anymore.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Startyde posted:

He's already got the drum tracks splittable which wasn't in there originally iirc.

What do you mean by this?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Elektron Digitakt in action with more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv1dfLLrWxU

Looks nice but I can't justify it while owning the RYTM already. I'm kinda miffed that they could do live sample recording for this one but not the RYTM, but I guess they need some sort of carrot to dangle out there for RYTM owners to get this as well. Or maybe keep praying for that in a firmware patch. Definitely not meant to be an Octatrack replacement, though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

What do you mean by this?

Meaning a drum track's different noteons can go to different midi channels, unless I'm misunderstanding one of the changelogs I read. Like I said, I don't have one.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Friend of mine is trying to sell an AKAI LPK23 keyboard controller and an AKAI LPD8 drumpad. Kind of a AKAI MPK mini, I suppose?

I was thinking of getting these myself later now that I've tried them, but the new MPK Mini MKII looks pretty good too.

Any advice? I'm new to synthetic music creation and most of my stuff is just midi for Roland SC-55 and MT-32, or old SNES style chiptunes, so it's meant to sound ancient. However, I would like to eventually make the transition to FL Studio, so I need a decent and small-sized controller and pads.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
:siren: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT'S HAPPENING :siren:

Superbooth '17: The Behringer Model-D Exclusive First Look and Listen

$399 MSRP, Eurorack compatible

:siren: :siren:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
A little disappointed that no one's been posting news. I mean, come on:

-New Novation 8 voice hybrid synth
-Behringer Moog Model D clone for $399
-SSM ICs being manufactured again

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VoodooXT posted:

A little disappointed that no one's been posting news. I mean, come on:

-New Novation 8 voice hybrid synth
-Behringer Moog Model D clone for $399
-SSM ICs being manufactured again

...that weird Bass Station/Circuit hybrid thing, Elektron drum sampler...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:siren: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT'S HAPPENING :siren:

Superbooth '17: The Behringer Model-D Exclusive First Look and Listen

$399 MSRP, Eurorack compatible

:siren: :siren:

hail satan

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think I've maximized the ability for my Eurorack to sound like an '80s computer at this point. Sid Guts Deluxe, Oscillographic Block, Arcade Noise, and Circuit Bent VCO give me maximum video game noises.

I think I need to read the Oscillographic Block manual a few dozen more times before I can begin understanding how to do anything with it.

breaks
May 12, 2001

W424 posted:

It's not that great trough ES-4 ☹️ (doesn't loving work)

Hmm, it should work with an ES-4. But you need to get the ES-4 Controller from Silent Way. I think the ES-4 Controller part of Silent Way works normally even in the demo mode so you don't actually have to buy it?

It's definitely less straightforward than the ES-3, but it should be possible to get it working.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

breaks posted:

Hmm, it should work with an ES-4. But you need to get the ES-4 Controller from Silent Way. I think the ES-4 Controller part of Silent Way works normally even in the demo mode so you don't actually have to buy it?

It's definitely less straightforward than the ES-3, but it should be possible to get it working.

I have the free controller and a template from muffwiggler, the consensus there was that it just doesn't work with blocks. Or at least that was when I upgraded reaktor to 6.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

...that weird Bass Station/Circuit hybrid thing, Elektron drum sampler...

I didn't want to rob everyone of taking all of the news.

breaks
May 12, 2001

W424 posted:

I have the free controller and a template from muffwiggler, the consensus there was that it just doesn't work with blocks. Or at least that was when I upgraded reaktor to 6.

I'm on an ES-3 myself so I can't really help that much, but it's all just arbitrary audio, there's nothing special about Blocks that makes it work any better or worse than anything else does. It's a kinda rare combination of stuff so might be just nobody has documented exactly how to set it up.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Yeah I want that Novation Peak bad.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

breaks posted:

I'm on an ES-3 myself so I can't really help that much, but it's all just arbitrary audio, there's nothing special about Blocks that makes it work any better or worse than anything else does. It's a kinda rare combination of stuff so might be just nobody has documented exactly how to set it up.

Yeah, probably going to try it again when I have everything setup again (just built a new computer)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

DivKid got his hands on it

https://youtu.be/XYUQ8SufutU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

What does Maths do? There's one channel thats like the 0-coast attenuverter, and one that's like the 0-coast slope, right? And then two more?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm super curious about the Circuit Mono Station, but I want to see more about the CV functionality as the operating system gets finalized, and whether you can use sequencer two to control an external synth while in monophonic mode. How does this compare to half of an Analog Four?

Novation has been really great about updating the Circuits's functionality so I hope they port some of the code back, but I won't be upset if 1.4 is the terminal firmware. Lol at Arturia releasing a recolored Beatstep Pro without a word about the bugfix they're supposed to be working on.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

What does Maths do? There's one channel thats like the 0-coast attenuverter, and one that's like the 0-coast slope, right? And then two more?

Maths is a two channel function generator and analog computer. You can use it for complex oscillator, LFO, EG, slew, clock, and comparator duties, to name a few. Additionally, it has two channels of attenuversion.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

JamesKPolk posted:

Eh, sort of. Channels 1 and 4 of Maths are like the slope, but you have individual control over rise and fall times, and channel 4 has a gate that goes high at the end of the fall step instead of the rise. You also get a mixer and an OR out that takes the highest of the four channel inputs.

They also function as lag processors, smoothing the sharp edges of signals. This can be used as a simple filter or add, say, portamento to a pitch CV.

One thing I like to do with Maths is make a complex LFO by patching Ch1's full out into channel 3 to attenuate, then patching that into Ch4's Both input (which controls both rise and fall time). Then patch 4 into 2 and on to 1 in the same fashion. Taking the sum can get some pretty neat LFO shapes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

got a note today that my mordax finally shipped, so if you ordered a 2nd run you'll be getting it soon

also everyone should just own a maths

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I have a built Ornament + Crime coming :woop:

Still haven't even racked the last two modules I bought (Vintage Synth Lab VCF-74 and an STG .com). Also I'm not sure where the hell any of these modules are going, so I guess I'm case shopping again.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

thanks all, leaning here now:

magiccarpet posted:

also everyone should just own a maths

I'm in between that and a Yarns for a ~first module~ (I have plenty of things to use them with), it seems like it'll do everything now then weird stuff later when my bread and butter is covered.

Okay NOW:

HandlingByJebus posted:

I have a built Ornament + Crime coming :woop:

What makes these so cool? I read through the algo list and... I don't get it. Is it the ASR?