Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
And the last guillotining took place in 1977!

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

This is not related to anything but I've just learned that France's last duel took place only 50 years ago (not a typo), April 21st, 1967.

:france:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Private Speech posted:

I thought they were crazy abusive to their members or something though, like full on community ostracism (wait what how is this not recognised by google chrome) for people who want to leave and pressure to give them lots of money and such?

The JW groups in the region are crazy abusive. And bully their members to decline medical aid for themselves. And their families. And yeah financial pressure. And also they think the authorities / society shouldn't investigate or punish crimes committed by their members, and they obstruct the police, in order to get crimes dealt with by their religious courts. If you're guessing their religious courts have different standards for high-ranking (male) church members and everyone else, as much was obvious. And they harass anyone disagreeing or leaving.

Also the list of unacceptable behaviors is basically "whatever the current group of old men doesn't like".

There's worse religious groups for sure, but they're a cult.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

This is not related to anything but I've just learned that France's last duel took place only 50 years ago (not a typo), April 21st, 1967.

So what were they arguing about?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

endlessmonotony posted:

The JW groups in the region are crazy abusive. And bully their members to decline medical aid for themselves. And their families. And yeah financial pressure. And also they think the authorities / society shouldn't investigate or punish crimes committed by their members, and they obstruct the police, in order to get crimes dealt with by their religious courts. If you're guessing their religious courts have different standards for high-ranking (male) church members and everyone else, as much was obvious. And they harass anyone disagreeing or leaving.

Also the list of unacceptable behaviors is basically "whatever the current group of old men doesn't like".

There's worse religious groups for sure, but they're a cult.

There is a lot of stuff you can criticise Putin for, I'm not sure banning a lovely cult is one of them just because they are not "like IS".

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

adhuin posted:

So what were they arguing about?

A pretty tame insult hurled by one of them at the other during a debate at the Assemblée Nationale.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And the winner was called Defferre which is cool and useful for puns

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a dead cop, who gives a poo poo. Stop freaking out.

Seems like something Le Penn will try and capitalize on.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nucleic Acids posted:

No poo poo they bought sponsored tweets about this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nucleic Acids posted:

Le Penn and Le Teller are such bastards.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Nucleic Acids posted:

The torygraph is reporting a boost in polls but the most recent poll is actually one of her lowest and iirc the blatant politicking she did after the last attack didn't help the FN either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

unpacked robinhood posted:

And the winner was called Defferre which is cool and useful for puns

My parents had an old political parody comic about the politicians of the era as pirates looking for rum. It had this wonderful quote: "Gaston Defferre, ne sois pas dépité, débouche du rhum"
Literally: "don't be vexed, uncork some rum", however it sounds a bit like "député des bouches du Rhône" (representative for the region of the mouth of the Rhone river, a post Defferre held until his death).

It had a lot of terrible, terrible puns, which was quite nice.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

There is a lot of stuff you can criticise Putin for, I'm not sure banning a lovely cult is one of them just because they are not "like IS".

Please, share to us your thoughts regarding freedom of religion and conscience.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

Not much wrong with the Jovies, Klaus.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

YF-23 posted:

Please, share to us your thoughts regarding freedom of religion and conscience.

The western world has also banned a whole lot of abusive religious practices.

As rare as it is, he has a point. It may not have been a proportionate response, but the Jehovah's Witnesses sure are an awful cult that I'd not miss.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesmerga posted:

Turns out the Dortmund bomb was planted by a Russian-German who wanted to affect the share prices. He is also alleged to have planed letters claiming responsibility by an Islamic extremist group.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/21/dortmund-bus-attack-suspect-arrested-as-police-allege-share-dealing-plot

GaussianCopula lost this round.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Oh man, what a disappointment upon waking up...

I dreamed that the first round was over and that both Le Pen and Fillon didn't make the cut.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mans posted:

GaussianCopula lost this round.

I'm not sure why you would think that?

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh man, what a disappointment upon waking up...

I dreamed that the first round was over and that both Le Pen and Fillon didn't make the cut.

So you are already dreaming about President Macron in a non nightmare way?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Le Pen is a legit nightmare; Macron is more waking up to find that your nighttime bladder control isn't what it once was--warm, wet, and slightly unpleasant.

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 22, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Le Pen is shame. And not being able to point and laugh at trump and the UK anymore

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Most people I've spoken to here in Brussels this week are now starting to poo poo themselves that it might be Meluche vs. Le Pen. Little late in the game, but I appreciate their efforts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Junior G-man posted:

Most people I've spoken to here in Brussels this week are now starting to poo poo themselves that it might be Meluche vs. Le Pen. Little late in the game, but I appreciate their efforts.

Go Meluche.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Junior G-man posted:

They're making GBS threads themselves but if it turns out the 2nd round doesn't pit Le Pen vs. Mélenchon, they will learn nothing.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

They're making GBS threads themselves but if it turns out the 2nd round doesn't pit Le Pen vs. Mélenchon, they will learn nothing.

This makes me sort of wonder what people will learn if it turns out the French are not interested in voting Mélenchon into the second round.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

More concise, more accurate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pluskut Tukker posted:

This makes me sort of wonder what people will learn if it turns out the French are not interested in voting Mélenchon into the second round.

They'll probably learn the pains of another half a decade of lovely neoliberalism?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

There's clearly no unison will of the French people. We have 1/4th voting for the most blatantly corrupt candidate ever simply because he's 'their guy'. We have another 4th voting Queen Nationalism because man them muslim's, also the EU. Then we have yet another 4th voting for Comrade Tax, who's leached much of his position from Queen Nationalism's anti-EU sentiment as far as I can tell. Finally we have the last 4th who is voting for boring centrist guy, because at least he's not as scary as Queen Nationalism and Comrade tax, or as corrupt as the other boring alternative.*

Then of course we have Hamon who seems so solely be in this race at this point for his MP's, consequences for the left's chances in the presidency be damned.

*This shouldn't under any circumstance be interpreted as a serious analysis of the French presidential election.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Let's just wait for the sweet kiss of death.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

another 4th voting for Comrade Tax, who's leached much of his position from Queen Nationalism's anti-EU sentiment as far as I can tell.

If anything, that's the other way around. The far left has griped about EU-mandated austerity and liberalism for ages.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The real elections will be the legislative elections as always, it's just people don't go vote for their party if their leader isn't elected president because the vast majority are loving stupid. The French people don't like the check and balance of a cohabitation presidency, they only want some providential autocrat with full power. I blame De Gaulle and his napoleon light regime for that. He was too good at his job.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 22, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, if Macron wins as predicted, Le Pen will have a serious chance at the presidency in 5 years, right?

Any chance of abolishing the presidential system till then and switching to full parliamentary? :smith:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

So, if Macron wins as predicted, Le Pen will have a serious chance at the presidency in 5 years, right?

Any chance of abolishing the presidential system till then and switching to full parliamentary? :smith:

The presidential system is what would have allowed Macron to get to power in the first place. What do you think?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The funny thing is that the fn could more or less certainly win full control of the parliament if they were to push forward that goal instead of wanting to gain the presidency first (but it would make their de-diabolization plan go bust because too many local "crazy"). So lol if you think France is saved from fascist if the Le Pen went bust with the presidency.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 22, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

She still needs to win in the second round. Given that both the Republicans and Left can claim that they oppose President Macron if he fails, I don't see how she can win against either candidate in the 2nd round.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
we'll probably all be dead by 2022 so it doesnt matter

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

we'll probably all be dead by 2022 so it doesnt matter

I want to vote for emperor-president Balkany

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just got on Predictit and bought 100 shares of Fillon making it to round two at 20¢ :q:

Yep, I'm almost certain to lose my :10bux: x 2 but I do think he's undervalued.

- He's from one of the two traditional French political parties. Yeah this is a wave election against those parties, but polls usually understate the eventual result of traditional parties, and overstate the popularity of the "new" option. Undecided voters tend to drift toward the "safe" option when they get to the polls. Similarly, I think Hamon will do much better than what he's polling, but not enough to break into the top two.

- There was an attack in Paris this week, which could scare some Macron voters Fillon's way.

- It's a close race between four candidates, greatly increasing the possibility of randomness of the outcome.

- There could be some fuckery with the polls. They've been weirdly static.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just got on Predictit and bought 100 shares of Fillon making it to round two at 20¢ :q:

Yep, I'm almost certain to lose my :10bux: x 2 but I do think he's undervalued.

I really really hope you lose your :20bux:.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I hope Macron makes it to the second round because I reckon his chances against Le Pen are way better than Melenchon's or Fillon's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

poty posted:

I hope Macron makes it to the second round because I reckon his chances against Le Pen are way better than Melenchon's or Fillon's

Doesn't Melenchon crush Le Pen in head to head? And Macron is just more neoliberal poo poo which in turn means an even greater chance for Le Pen or someone like her next time.