Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I see. I'll check the thread out. For reasons I'll mention below, I'm trying to figure out which of the two is more adequate option for someone mostly lacking the know-how.

You could think so, but there is apparently a wealth of big multinationals hiring accountants in Latvia right now, and almost none of them is asking for any directly relevant credentials, while paying way above average.

well i rose up through fake it till you make it, so i wish you luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

well i rose up through fake it till you make it, so i wish you luck
not that i particularly wish for an accounting career in latvia, or any career in latvia for that matter, but im really getting bored in the countryside, so might as well make next few months financially productive, should an opportunity present itself

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
You don't really need extensive training to do most things that fall under the accounting umbrella. Especially accounts receivable and accounts payables is often a position that can and will be filled with general clerks in smaller businesses with only the team or unit leader having formal degrees in business or accounting

Even the big professional service firms (PwC, EY, KPMG, Deloitte) do not have nearly the high-standards in hiring their recruiting materials sometimes suggest. While in Europe they generally want university degrees, they (at least in their audit section) are usually more than happy to hire people regardless of their degrees, if the applicant makes a good impression. Because a lot of what they do is more based on practicial experience actually working the job instead of what has been taught at university. That is not to say there isn't technical knowledge you'd have to learn, but by and large business degrees in Europe do not actually teach the specialized knowledge required for Audit or Tax work at a professional service firm.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not that i particularly wish for an accounting career in latvia, or any career in latvia for that matter, but im really getting bored in the countryside, so might as well make next few months financially productive, should an opportunity present itself

haha, yes, i thought the same way when i started

sure it was a soulless occupation that i loathed, but i would only be there for a few weeks to make some cash and then move on. there was no way i'd still be there two plus years later, slowly working my way up the corporate ladder and keeping an eye on a 401k

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

sure it was a soulless occupation that i loathed, but i would only be there for a few weeks to make some cash and then move on. there was no way i'd still be there two plus years later, slowly working my way up the corporate ladder and keeping an eye on a 401k

don't get me wrong, im ready to do any kind of poo poo or dull job, given appropriate compensation. i just intensely loathe latvia, and do not know much about professional life of an accountant in latvia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it's very zero-sum type of affair here. i german juniors make more than latvian "mediors", swedish juniors make more than latvian seniors

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I hope you get to park ranger someday. The hiring freeze is gone but the government is also going to shut down again this year most likely.
And I don't think nps is getting any money this presidency after the inauguration incident

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If you have down time anyway, you might as well try to get an internship or, if you're lucky, a position at one the aforementioned professional service firms and toil in the Audit mines for a bit. If you can get a PhD spot you can still abandon ship in case it is a position while if it is an internship you could probably use that as proof of your sincere and life-long interest in accounting should you end up in a similiar job situation post-PhD. And if it's an internship you could just not mention it for job applications that are closer to your degree.

And in the unfortunate situation that you will not be able to escape the Audit mines in time and succumb to a life time of white collar work in accounting/finance, working for one of the big professional service firms might make it easier to transition to a non-Latvian country at a later point. Especially given that you're probably well-equipped in the language department.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

You don't really need extensive training to do most things that fall under the accounting umbrella. Especially accounts receivable and accounts payables is often a position that can and will be filled with general clerks in smaller businesses with only the team or unit leader having formal degrees in business or accounting

Even the big professional service firms (PwC, EY, KPMG, Deloitte) do not have nearly the high-standards in hiring their recruiting materials sometimes suggest. While in Europe they generally want university degrees, they (at least in their audit section) are usually more than happy to hire people regardless of their degrees, if the applicant makes a good impression. Because a lot of what they do is more based on practicial experience actually working the job instead of what has been taught at university. That is not to say there isn't technical knowledge you'd have to learn, but by and large business degrees in Europe do not actually teach the specialized knowledge required for Audit or Tax work at a professional service firm.

Interesting. Corresponds the jobs rear end I have gone through recently as well - very few accounting/financial service jobs with foreign enterprises asked for actual degrees. At most it was "bachelor in money or business things or similar". Same Deloitte you mention is hiring an auditor now, and they ask only for experience, if I remember correctly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i feel as though career advice offered by randler carries some hidden toxin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

If you have down time anyway, you might as well try to get an internship or, if you're lucky, a position at one the aforementioned professional service firms and toil in the Audit mines for a bit. If you can get a PhD spot you can still abandon ship in case it is a position while if it is an internship you could probably use that as proof of your sincere and life-long interest in accounting should you end up in a similiar job situation post-PhD. And if it's an internship you could just not mention it for job applications that are closer to your degree.

And in the unfortunate situation that you will not be able to escape the Audit mines in time and succumb to a life time of white collar work in accounting/finance, working for one of the big professional service firms might make it easier to transition to a non-Latvian country at a later point. Especially given that you're probably well-equipped in the language department.

languages yes, i have cefr c2 english certificate formal equivalent, recognised anywhere. internships is a good point you make, i will scout emea "le company" opportunities later today, since there ought to be a big competition and waiting list for those

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i feel as though career advice offered by randler carries some hidden toxin

tough words from accidental lumber thief

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Like, at the job interview everything is going just fine and suddenly lightning strikes and the curtains are thrown back, revealing a sniggering vulture as you are carted off to forced paperwork in some camp

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Being a staff accountant doing A/R, A/P, accruals, etc. is pretty boring as poo poo. Did it for 3.5 years, and I'm glad that I don't have to do it again.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Interesting. Corresponds the jobs rear end I have gone through recently as well - very few accounting/financial service jobs with foreign enterprises asked for actual degrees. At most it was "bachelor in money or business things or similar". Same Deloitte you mention is hiring an auditor now, and they ask only for experience, if I remember correctly.

kals do not let him trick you, signing with any of the big four immediately earns you a spot in hell

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kals do not let him trick you, signing with any of the big four immediately earns you a spot in hell

:hai:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

languages yes, i have cefr c2 english certificate formal equivalent, recognised anywhere.

you could also have them contact me and i will vouch for your ability to talk english good

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Show me on the court docket where PwC forwarded the report on your expenses to the CFO. :smuggo:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Randler posted:

Show me on the court docket where PwC forwarded the report on your expenses to the CFO. :smuggo:

my wariness goes back further, to the days when i was a small child and my cfo father would regale my with stories of the satanic pentagram tattoos and forked tails of the auditors from deloitte & touche

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my wariness goes back further, to the days when i was a small child and my cfo father would regale my with stories of the satanic pentagram tattoos and forked tails of the auditors from deloitte & touche

Guess that explains how Deloitte can barely sustain itself on sacred German ground.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i think two of my keets are sick

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

Guess that explains how Deloitte can barely sustain itself on sacred German ground.

:eyepop:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol on the topic of the striped menace i just had a sudden premonition that something was not right, and i went out to the keet box to find that one of the keets had fallen onto its back and while trying to get up had somehow kicked its way into the gap between the brooder and the box wall, where it fit with mathematical precision, still on its back, and although it isn't injured in any way beyond being a bit cross it would have died of hypothermia before morning if i hadn't checked it when i did. keets!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a kid in atlanta just died at a rotating restaurant because they managed to worm their way into a gap between the moving floor and the stationary wall, it's by no means a purely keet phenomena

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Avshalom posted:

Which ones

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

a kid in atlanta just died at a rotating restaurant because they managed to worm their way into a gap between the moving floor and the stationary wall, it's by no means a purely keet phenomena

wait are you saying that a child just got turned into mince by a public construction? :stonk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

weather report: pea sized hail for 2 minutes every 20 minutes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Avshalom posted:

those are two american keets

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

i'm watching a very secret service and it's good

it's like archer, if archer was meaner & didn't run jokes into the ground & was in french

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wait are you saying that a child just got turned into mince by a public construction? :stonk:

they stopped the machinery before it got too gorey, but not before the child received fatal injuries

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/thediyora/status/765991803011076096

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
gently caress, how do i loving stay awake this late every loving night

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wonder this about you too. i sleep 2-10 usually, and you keep posting for enough hours after im up that it ought to be a night even on the west coast

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Ur a broken human gojm

Sorry

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i'm amazed this guy wasn't elected

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i wonder this about you too. i sleep 2-10 usually, and you keep posting for enough hours after im up that it ought to be a night even on the west coast

it's almost morning on the west coast, somehow my sleep pattern has devolved into a short nap in the early evening and a short nap in the early morning and much bleariness at all other times

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

Ur a broken human gojm

Sorry

*putting 400£ professional graphic design tool used for playing a niche rhythm game* h-how can it be true?!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm amazed this guy wasn't elected

it's almost morning on the west coast, somehow my sleep pattern has devolved into a short nap in the early evening and a short nap in the early morning and much bleariness at all other times

sounds about right if i remember my early college years. i used to play like 120 hours per week

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
quiz
https://8values.github.io

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS