Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

HannibalBarca posted:

Does anyone know when/if we'll get word (through unofficial channels, I imagine) of how well the show is doing on Netflix?

When it's renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm loving all the sight gags this season. The drones in Avalanche, Servo sledding in Starcrash, Servo lifting the rocket in The Time Travellers, Crow in the elevator in Starcrash, etc.

Watched The Best of Hollow Mountain and Starcrash today.

:lol: at "That's my purse, I don't know you!" in the former.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The drones cracked me up. "Woah! Woah, watch out-"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bicyclops posted:

"Breach hull, all die, even had it underlined" is up there with the anteater jokes and "Merry Christmas, you big beautiful couch!"

For me, my favorite MST3K line will forever be, "No...! The sauce... It's too rich... It's too thick! Save... yourself!"

Which is then followed a second later with the wonderful, "DON'T MAKE ME SHOOT YOU! CROOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The drones cracked me up. "Woah! Woah, watch out-"

Reminds me of the Rifftrax Live for Starship Troopers, where they "celebrated" the shower scene by having a gorilla-gram and cutting to the stage camera.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I thought the timing of the riffs in Beast of Hollow Mountain wasn't quite as good as in the previous two episodes. We don't know the order in which these were filmed aside from Reptilicus being first and Yongary coming sometime later, but I'm going to guess this is one of the earliest ones they did. The movie's bad in kind of a novel way, though, and it's still a pretty good episode, all things considered.

Starcrash is the first episode of the season that feels essential, I think. You can tell the cast has a lot of affection for the film, and it's kind of hard not to feel the same. It seems like it was written and directed by a precocious 12 year-old with a closet full of action figures, and it's visually striking in a really tacky sort of way. (The aesthetic isn't exactly Star Wars, but more Star Wars-themed disco.) Loved the whole "naming the spaceships" bit, and props to the cast for pulling off a song skit in the theater. I think this is going to be remembered as another classic "fun" MST3K episode, like Pumaman.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

rydiafan posted:

It's possible some explanation was cut from the episode. I'm assuming they still edit these movies down for MST3K, because the episodes are only 90 minutes, including skits, commercial breaks, and opening/closing credits.

Having watched Starcrash on its own prior to MST3K, I can safely say that no, there really isn't an explanation mentioned in the movie. Star Wars had a magic guy, so obviously they had to have one too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nemo2342 posted:

Having watched Starcrash on its own prior to MST3K, I can safely say that no, there really isn't an explanation mentioned in the movie. Star Wars had a magic guy, so obviously they had to have one too.
When I saw Starcrash for the first time I thought he was a riff on Amuro Ray from Gundam.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If they get a season 12, they definitely need to do "Yor, Hunter From the Future":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvXIsDSy0I

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I coulda sworn in Starcrashers the reason the guy was immune was because he was actually an android. Maybe I'm confusing it with another movie but I swear he died and his head falls off, but the body comes back and strangles the bad guy.

...seems likely that I'm thinking of some other scifi B-Movie though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Starcrash feels like someone tried to mix Star Wars, Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

It's like Corman films in that you can tell a lot of heart was put into it but they didn't have the budget or talent to pull it off. Those are the best b movies.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Davros1 posted:

If they get a season 12, they definitely need to do "Yor, Hunter From the Future":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvXIsDSy0I
Clicked on this expecting the (full) theme song, was disappointed. Let's fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYBfnfWsnX0

[e] Actually that's not the full version, this is. It might also be the most Italian thing I have ever heard.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 22, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
They've never shown any indication toward wanting to do this, and I think it would probably be unpopular with a lot of MST3K fans, but I'd wish they'd go farther back in film history. I've been reading this site a lot lately, and it seems like there's a whole lot of unmined bad movie gold in the early talkies.

Mokinokaro posted:

Starcrash feels like someone tried to mix Star Wars, Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

It's like Corman films in that you can tell a lot of heart was put into it but they didn't have the budget or talent to pull it off. Those are the best b movies.

All of the dialogue is so bad, and the funniest part might be watching Christopher Plummer struggle to give his clunky lines some gravitas.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 22, 2017

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Personally, I'd love to see 'em do some older stuff (like, as you suggested, pre-code, early sound era stuff), but I'm a film nerd and I also get that I (or, we) could be in the minority.

Also, I think maybe I love Avalanche more than some folks. I get that it's not disliked or whatever, but it might be one of my favorites of the season.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Clicked on this expecting the (full) theme song, was disappointed. Let's fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYBfnfWsnX0

[e] Actually that's not the full version, this is. It might also be the most Italian thing I have ever heard.

Also, the song plays whenever Yor does anything remotely cool in the movie.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I just emptied all of my Rhino/Shout box sets in series order on my shelf. I'm going to attempt a full series rewatch I think.

Might skip the first season. Man this first episode is rough.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I really think the opening joke would work a lot better if they actually filmed it every time with differences and stuff. But I'm sure that would have been a huge timesink.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mangler103 posted:

I just emptied all of my Rhino/Shout box sets in series order on my shelf. I'm going to attempt a full series rewatch I think.

Might skip the first season. Man this first episode is rough.

At least watch the...ROBOT HOLOCAUST.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I second that season 12 needs Yor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Come to me gooooooooooleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeems.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, after Inframan I'd love to see Yor.

I love that Joel's hatred of the Nixon Administration continues.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've long wished to see MST3K do this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnxLab3-KAE

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

I really think the opening joke would work a lot better if they actually filmed it every time with differences and stuff. But I'm sure that would have been a huge timesink.

I wish they'd done different takes of the "they need my help" shot in the cockpit. I think that would go really far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ja2ke posted:

I wish they'd done different takes of the "they need my help" shot in the cockpit. I think that would go really far.

Really all they'd need is a few different takes of that and some pickups of Felicia's first close-up.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Have there been any reviews published from the completely uninitiated? I'm super curious about how first time MST viewers would respond.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ja2ke posted:

Yeah, this would be the main thing. Like have him forget what he's supposed to say, or say it sarcastically, or really tired or something etc.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Maybe when Netflix renews the show they can give them $10mil instead of the $6mil they did this season with and we can get some host segments that are longer than 2 minutes or are more involved than "we have access to a laser cutter".

Also, am I the only one who thinks the SoL set looks like someone who was told to recreate the old set but was only given three days to work on it?

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

Is that a top and bottom mounted shotgun?!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

8one6 posted:

Also, am I the only one who thinks the SoL set looks like someone who was told to recreate the old set but was only given three days to work on it?

Yes and I think they literally did. The new set looks less cluttered and handcrafted, and I don't think we ever move out of the basic central hexagon, so there's no umbilicus door, no iris screen (wynona!), etc, which makes it feel more like a flat backdrop. I don't think we ever move out of a basic wide shot, either, but I might be wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one mid-shot only is why the bubble thing exists, I assume. There's no coverage to hide cutting different takes together, so that's the only way they can do it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Whoever was mentioning that they edit the movies down is definitely right.

They pretty much chopped off the end three minutes of Time Travelers, as the movie doesn't really end where they left it.

I replayed it from an old combo DVD I got at a Walgreens bin, and noted that the last three minutes are a montage that implies that the protagonists both escaped the bad future but are trapped in a time loop. Guess they didn't feel like riffing over the loop..

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Alright, here we go: The entire season was written, riffed, and largely shot (making exceptions for guest appearances) in the order that we see now.

From 26 minutes into Episode 57 of the MST3K Revival League Podcast (A post-release interview with Jonah running through some behind-the-scenes info/Q&As for the whole season - a fun listen!):

MST3K Revival League Podcast posted:

[Greg - Host] Our fan question comes from Leanne, and she asks: "Were the episodes shot in order? I ask because the chemistry amongst the riffers seems so great right out the gate from Episode 1101."

[Jonah] Yeah. Reptilicus was the first one we wrote, recorded, and shot, and they're in order from there. It was extremely brutal doing Wizards 1 & 2 in a row. I remember going to Joel like "You gotta space these out! You have to space these out!"

[Ryan - Host] That's the riffing, right? Because you shot the host segments in whatever order was most amenable to the schedule, right?

[Jonah] Yeah, the host segments themselves were all very much, you know, shot like as much in order as they can, but it was pretty scattershot - something new every time we started. That was just another aspect of shooting as much as we did in the amount of time that we did. But yeah, for the riffs themselves, very much in order of what we did, and I mean everything was written in that order as well. I remember even - when, uh, I think we were doing Beast of Hollow Mountain or Yongary, and I was telling Joel, "Hey, I think we should put this one first," and he's like "You can't do that. You can't just pop another one first. People are gonna watch and it's gonna be really good and then it's not gonna be as good the next one. You want to slide people into it." And I remember going "I don't know about that. In this age of instant reviews and stuff like that." But he was right. He was right, people really kind of loved the fact that they could feel it get better.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Whoever was mentioning that they edit the movies down is definitely right.

They pretty much chopped off the end three minutes of Time Travelers, as the movie doesn't really end where they left it.

I replayed it from an old combo DVD I got at a Walgreens bin, and noted that the last three minutes are a montage that implies that the protagonists both escaped the bad future but are trapped in a time loop. Guess they didn't feel like riffing over the loop..

Well, the only riff you can really do over that is a VERY risky gag (Jonah and the bots redo the same jokes over and over, as if they're caught in the loop themselves)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the only riff you can really do over that is a VERY risky gag (Jonah and the bots redo the same jokes over and over, as if they're caught in the loop themselves)

Hey Pearl, Mike's tripping!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TerminalSaint posted:

What they really need are some Lyle Alzado movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would Robot Jox be TOO good a movie for them to do or

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd love to see them cover basically anything that's been on Best of The Worst. Hell, just have the Red Letter Media guys pick the movies next season.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd love to see them cover basically anything that's been on Best of The Worst. Hell, just have the Red Letter Media guys pick the movies next season.

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does this mean they have to introduce a subplot where Tom has a dead hooker in the basement?

HannibalBarca posted:

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.
That might be some kind of a legal thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Gaz2k21 posted:

The movie was my first exposure to the show I still have the crusty old ex-rental VHS that I found in a closing down video shop.
The 2 quotes that stay with me will always be "Thank god...I saved you" and "and if your hands were metal that would mean something"

I even briefly started a crappy punk band called Uncle Scrotor.....we lasted 2 practices.

That's twice the length of many crappy punk bands; you did Uncle Scrotor proud.

Barudak posted:

Thanks new season, for making me look up and then get lost in a wikipedia hole learning how astronauts pee in a spacesuit to figure out one throwaway host segment line.

You too?