Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

DarkRefreshment posted:

Can someone explain the Archer thing to me? I've got the general idea that it is blatantly ripping off someone's work, but I have a feeling there is a cool story I missed in the weeds somewhere.

He did a crowd funding game (board) with another person from CIG where every art asset was stolen from somewhere else. Archer and Ladybird (or something) cant
remember the last guys name. It was some space trading game - cant remember the name either.

Clifford the anime pillow guy donated a crop ton of $$ to it.

The last few hours live stream where one goon was calling to try and get a response was kinda funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

has the spectrum been unleashed

yes the autism is on full display.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

DarkRefreshment posted:

That photographer did a good job considering her normal resting bitch face she gives during the forced smiles on AtV

inside every nasty troll there is a mae dung just waiting to get out.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Been trying to catch up with the treath, I'm still on April 14th. :negative:

Some quick questions:

Is Derek back yet or is he bidding his time in his secret underground lair?
I've not reached it yet but I think the new schedule was released in the meanwhile. How much was cut from what 3.0 was supposed to include, when is it supposedly coming out? How did the shitizens like it?
How about Squadron 42? When can we see Lt Pusher romancing oldmen?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 22, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

Been trying to catch up with the treath, I'm still on April 14th. :negative:

Some quick questions:

Is Derek back yet or is he bidding his time in his secret underground lair, biding his time?
I've not reached it yet but I think the new schedule was released in the meanwhile. How much was cut from what 3.0 was supposed to include, when is it supposedly coming out? How did the shitizens like it?
How about Squadron 42? When can we see Lt Pusher romancing oldmen?

Yes.
A whole bunch was cut, 3.0 is supposed to come out somewhere in June. Citizens are ecstatic.
Squadron 42 is MIA.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66tdjr/space_games_numbers_and_a_referral_program_how/

Here is my terrible attempt engage with citizens about realistic market sizes for space games. Rather predictably, the only people who have responded so far haven't really wanted to discuss what these numbers mean.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 22, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm the industry timeline tolerance

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So the new netcode has been delayed past 3.0

quote:

delay of the network bind / unbind, which is now schedule AFTER the 3.0.0 release

Jesus patch deferred.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

So the new netcode has been delayed past 3.0

Jesus patch deferred.

Has anyone ever detailed just what the hell this magical pixie dust netcode is going to do or how it is going to work to make the game playable with more than 8 people on a server?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

MinorInconvenience posted:

Has anyone ever detailed just what the hell this magical pixie dust netcode is going to do or how it is going to work to make the game playable with more than 8 people on a server?

No, what they do is tell you some base explanation about what it will actually do (ie. make it so that the network layer doesn't worry about things which aren't in your view or don't affect you) but then keep hinting that this will have massive implications for the PU.

It's basically a weird twist on Chinese whispers...

[Technical network guy] Yeah, doing this will definitely give us some performance gains.

[Disco/Sandi/Crobbler] The new network layer will deliver considerable improvements. *wink*

[Shitizens] Don't worry the network guy said he's got a fix and they said it was significant and sounded confident. Stop spreading FUD.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

theoretically that part was gonna stop telling every single person on the entire server you moved an inch or fired a missile. Its a big reason why FPS and lag is so trash on the PU even with monster rigs.

most multiplayer games handle this with ease but its a multiyear project with CIG because they hire college grads and fuckups with their payscale. And management is incompetent so even if they had the right people it probably wouldn't help much.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Also as a mea culpa to all the BMM Merchantman owners CIG sent them all a discount code for 7 dollars off the new Banu Defender. Very nice of them.

Greetings Citizen,

The Merchantman has found its ideal star-crossing companion: the Banu Defender. This unique fighter is perfectly suited to protect the Merchantman from unscrupulous raiders. And now, the Banu have re-designed their popular Defender for Human operation. To mark this occasion, we’re offering the Defender at a discount to Merchantman owners! Please use the URL below and the included code to access this exclusive deal. The sale ends May 1, so don’t miss out on this special opportunity.

Visit the Banu Sale Page and enter the following code to get an exclusive $7 discount on the Defender & Defender Warbond SKUs.

Edit: The 7 bucks off is for cash only lmao

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 22, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

TrustmeImLegit posted:

theoretically that part was gonna stop telling every single person on the entire server you moved an inch or fired a missile. Its a big reason why FPS and lag is so trash on the PU even with monster rigs.

most multiplayer games handle this with ease but its a multiyear project with CIG because they hire college grads and fuckups with their payscale. And management is incompetent so even if they had the right people it probably wouldn't help much.

But if management wasn't stupid and they employed good programmers, is this actually possible?:

quote:

So the “magic” of Star Citizen’s multiplayer design is how we combine a persistent universe with a more traditional (and easier to implement) temporary multiplayer “battle” instance.

The way it works is that the persistent universe server, which we’re calling the Galaxy Server, keeps track of all players’ assets, group relationships and locations inside the Star Citizen universe. As the Galaxy server isn’t handling any realtime action it can handle our complete player base, which right now would be about 45,000 players, but is designed to be able to scale to millions if need be. The other key thing the Galaxy Server does is dynamically place players based on their location, skill level, alignment and player versus player (PvP) preference into battle instances. Think of a “battle” instance like a Battlefield 3 multiplayer session or a World of Tanks Battle with the key difference that the selection of players is done transparently and is “in fiction”.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12770-Chris-Roberts-On-Multiplayer-Single-Player-And-Instancing

This is something from the RSI website dated November 2012. Just curious to hear from knowledgeable folks about the technical aspects of what the Croberts Clan wants to do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

But if management wasn't stupid and they employed good programmers, is this actually possible?:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12770-Chris-Roberts-On-Multiplayer-Single-Player-And-Instancing

This is something from the RSI website dated November 2012. Just curious to hear from knowledgeable folks about the technical aspects of what the Croberts Clan wants to do.

Remember that, according to Roberts himself, that approach was described before "full production" even started. So I guess it was his best idea at the time?

CIG's inability to unfuck their netcode is second only to their incompetence with doors. They've mentioned fixing it with every major release.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Remember that, according to Roberts himself, that approach was described before "full production" even started. So I guess it was his best idea at the time?

CIG's inability to unfuck their netcode is second only to their incompetence with doors. They've mentioned fixing it with every major release.

What's wrong with the doors?

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

intardnation posted:

He did a crowd funding game (board) with another person from CIG where every art asset was stolen from somewhere else. Archer and Ladybird (or something) cant
remember the last guys name. It was some space trading game - cant remember the name either.

Clifford the anime pillow guy donated a crop ton of $$ to it.

The last few hours live stream where one goon was calling to try and get a response was kinda funny though.

Star Traders: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239709734/star-traders

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4c59bx/startraders_board_game_uses_stolen_artwork_to/

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

bind culling is certainly possible.

But the whole 1k players an instance but they aren't instances its a mesh is just an impossible series of buzzwords that changes dramatically each time they bring it up.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Rudager posted:

You put too much faith in the counter, It's 100% internally controlled by CiG. I get why journalists don't cover SC news, but I get annoyed when they post "CiG just posted $140m in pledges!" articles where it's obvious they never asked to see a statement from a 3rd party auditor backing that up.

Auditor, auditor, AUDITOR.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

What's wrong with the doors?

Door opening and closing has often been a mess, in a variety of ways. Either they just don't work, or they open with a weird stutter, or they don't quite meet in the middle when closed, or they overlap when closed, or you can clip through them.

I think they're currently back at their baseline of just being able to clip through doors.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

Door opening and closing has often been a mess, in a variety of ways. Either they just don't work, or they open with a weird stutter, or they don't quite meet in the middle when closed, or they overlap when closed, or you can clip through them.

I think they're currently back at their baseline of just being able to clip through doors.

Also if you aren't looking at the door when it opens it doesn't actually open.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I think my favorite thing about Star Citizen's ships is I can almost never tell which end is supposed to be the front.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Also if you aren't looking at the door when it opens it doesn't actually open.

And am I right after reading some reports that this has been an issue for years?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

And am I right after reading some reports that this has been an issue for years?

Yea at least for that one ship.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe posted:

I think my favorite thing about Star Citizen's ships is I can almost never tell which end is supposed to be the front.

Mines that they theoretically spend thousands of hours poring over every detail and texture but completely occlude the cockpit with a giant loving arm.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/is-our-memory-so-very-short

quote:

"Going forward, these cash sales will focus on newly introduced concept ships and top tier limited capital ships." Chris Roberts, Star Citizen Newsletter - Letter from The Chairman November 18th, 2016

5 months later..

Banu Merchantman, Warbond Edition.

The Merchantman is neither a concept ship, nor a capital ship (limited, top tier, or otherwise).

quote:

But this... this new precedent changes that. Now it affects the rest of the community, not just us throw away edge cases. I'm a concierge backer 27x over, would be 29ish times over now..but..eh, ethics and principles.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Mine is that you can't see poo poo when inside of them.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Mines that they theoretically spend thousands of hours poring over every detail and texture but completely occlude the cockpit with a giant loving arm.

It's okay. Someone on Reddit fixed it:

It's so wizard!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
BOOM!! Called it! And so the 3.0 "walk back" begins in ernest. By the time it's released, it will be what 2.7 should have been.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66ux3c/300_and_global_progress_watch_update_20170421/

quote:

The major change this week in 3.0.0 is the delay of the network bind / unbind, which is now schedule AFTER the 3.0.0 release. Since it's a stetch goal, I think it's safe to say it probably won't be met, and therefore not included in 3.0.0. This has important implications, since it's the component responsible for improving dramatically the FPS by reducing the amount of useless data each client has to process.

Another big change is the volumetric fog, which has been delayed by 25 days. But it's still far from being a problem, since it was scheduled very early.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

BOOM!! Called it!

You call everything Derek - you're amazing!

So... what about those rolling CIG layoffs you called a few weeks ago?

And, you know... the E.L.E.?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

BOOM!! Called it! And so the 3.0 "walk back" begins in ernest. By the time it's released, it will be what 2.7 should have been.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66ux3c/300_and_global_progress_watch_update_20170421/

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

I especially like how correcting bad netcode, which itself is the result of an inexperienced and inept team, is categorized as a "Stretch Goal."

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the network improvements are now either 'stretch goals' (they've never met a schedule) or out of 3.0 altogether.

But they're creaming themselves over the poorly designed fighter.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

"delay of the network bind / unbind, which is now schedule AFTER the 3.0.0 release. Since it's a stetch goal"

Properly functioning network code is a stretch goal?

Edit: Well, everyone beat me to that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
A $27K whale is upset....over the price of a JPEG. I kid you not.

Oh, JPEG sale analysis.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

It's so wizard!

It's coming back to me now.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Nobody is going to enroll ten people for that!

:five::five::five:

It's so wizard!

Going through my folders the other day I found a bunch of pictures from when the forums basically had to fight a civil war to get CIG to realize maybe nobody wanted to spend their playtime looking at a space window frame lol

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/britizencon

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Remember the new Star Citizen referrals (the latest scam) I wrote about yesterday? They are now buying/selling them https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dr. Smart called his own birth before his father met his mother.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TIL you buy jpgs with under and overcoatings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Zzr posted:

Dr. Smart called his own birth before his father met his mother.
I wrote about this in my prenatal blog.