Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I've decided to summarize via political cartoon:

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Luigi from super Mario Bros being saved by faith alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I can't stop laughing either, although not quite for the same reason.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Public Serpent posted:

Thank you! And I don't mind at all. The Church of Sweden, which is Evangelical Lutheran. When I was born it was still the state church, so I would have been a member already if my parents hadn't both left the church before then.

Hej och välkommen!

Nice to have a member of the largest Lutheran church on board, unless Ethiopia went and surpassed you guys already, in which case nice to have you on board anyway.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

pidan posted:

I suppose it'd be to avoid a short-term marriage situation like they have in Iran, where you can basically have a promiscuous lifestyle sanctioned by the religious authorities, if you're a man.
But don't Orthodox Christians have to go through some kind of process to remarry, even when their spouse has died?
Also if a Catholic remarries without an anullment, and then later their ex-partner dies, does their later marriage retroactively become valid?

Anyway, from what I've read the new testament's argument against divorce / remarriage doesn't seem to primarily be grounded in the continence thing. But rather it seems to be based on the fact that a man divorcing his wife in that time and place would essentially have kicked her out of the house to an uncertain fate, and doing that for anything but the gravest of reasons would be pretty horrible. So in our modern society, when being a male or female divorcee is not an existential threat to most people, I think it would be within the spirit of the law to be a bit more lenient about that issue.

Also welcome to the flock, Public Serpent

It doesn't automatically become valid. For "I was attempting bigamy, and then my spouse died, so now I can actually marry," I think there might have to be an exchange of vows, since any prior exchange of vows was done while at least one of the couple couldn't validly consent to a marriage, but it wouldn't have to be public or even announced.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Valiantman posted:

Hej och välkommen!

Nice to have a member of the largest Lutheran church on board, unless Ethiopia went and surpassed you guys already, in which case nice to have you on board anyway.

Ethiopia is lutheran :confused:

og velkommen, Public Serpent! Du burde blive asatrú som de seje børn, men hvad kan man gøre :getin:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Let's just stop having sex, nothing good ever came out of it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Tias posted:

Ethiopia is lutheran :confused:

Wow, I actually hadn't checked the numbers. Mekane Yesus, Ethiopian Evangelical (Lutheran) Church is easily the largest in the world, with 8.3 million members. Sweden comes second with 6.1 million.

Ethiopia is huge though, so it's only about 9% of the estimated population.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I guess that's why it used to be an Empire.

Also gave Italians a bloody nose, but Italians haven't really been good at this war thing for the past 1700 years.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Can any of the erudite and/or Eastern Christians recommend me a good source for identifying and dealing with passions?
If you want to go back to the roots, you can check out Evagrius of Ponticus and St. John Cassian. However, you'll probably want a more modern translation of Cassian, because the public domain version of the Institutes and Conferences you can find online left the parts about lust untranslated. Because I guess they might inspire lust? I dunno.

HEY GAIL posted:

also, Unseen Warfare, Greater Jihad, and Death To The World are all good band names
Fitting, then, that the last one became a punk zine.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

zonohedron posted:

If he's not in good standing, there's the concept of "Ecclesia supplet", where the Church herself makes up for a lack of jurisdiction if a Catholic has no way of knowing that the priest isn't allowed to do a thing, or if there simply aren't any other priests around. (Paging Worthleast to the thread, Worthleast, I have an Ecclesia supplet question regarding the SSPX in aisle 160)

You called?

Ecclesia supplet is simply an application of the principle: The salvation of souls is the highest law. We used that argument for justifying confessing to SSPX priests since 1975, but now Papa supplet has made that argument obsolete. Pope Francis continues to surprise me and the canon lawyers by saying "this is how its going to be now, you figure out how it works". But hey, if my sins can be forgiven in the ordinary way instead of the extraordinary way, then my conscience is all the more clear, which is what the Pope wants anyways.

I always liked the image of Our Lord at judgement saying "you thought you were confessing properly and doing everything right, but in fact a bishop 800 years ago messed up, and that was no priest at all! Muahahaha!" and someone saying "well I'll be damned!" as the trap door opens.

Welcome Public Serpent!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Worthleast posted:

I always liked the image of Our Lord at judgement saying "you thought you were confessing properly and doing everything right, but in fact a bishop 800 years ago messed up, and that was no priest at all! Muahahaha!" and someone saying "well I'll be damned!" as the trap door opens.

I'm more of a fan of St. Peter sighing, handing you a blue book and asking you to write an essay about Christophanies in the Tanakh.

me: yes, all this arguing on calvinist forums has paid off, heaven here I come, fully theologically correct and loving it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Senju Kannon posted:

do you think the same about temporal absolution? if your friend fucks up, can you forgive them?

It depends.

That's sort of the thing, temporal absolution by virtue of being highly individual is very nuanced, some people might forgive you, some people might not, some people might have conditions. The issue I take with absolution from a God that you can't exactly sit down and have a conversation with is that, to the trespasser, this stands a reasonable chance of overruling the need for temporal absolution, if the creator of the universe is OK with you then anyone who disagrees is probably wrong, after all. And also by nature of the relationship it has to be kind of rules based. You follow the steps and you get your absolution, because you can't actually sit down and work out a settlement with God and your religious leader probably isn't able to do that both due to time, the nature of your relationship with them, and their not actually being involved in the wronging, so they don't have the facts, only your presentation of them.

It seems like it relies super heavily on the person doing wrong to cop to it and have a somewhat objective concept of temporal justice, or to not care about temporal justice and just go with divine justice which, as an atheist, is obviously not something that I even recognize.

It probably makes more sense if you believe everything will come right in the end and people will get what they deserve, but if you're stuck with the concept of the current life being all there is, it's really hard not to get annoyed when people behave according to this utterly alien concept of justice whereby something ceases to be a problem as long as you follow rules which don't at all guarantee a practical settlement between the parties involved. Obviously in practice I find most people have a concept of temporal justice regardless of their religious persuasion but there's the odd few who seem not to, and for whom their religious beliefs sub in, I don't get on well with them.

StashAugustine posted:

I mean the alternative is "you hosed up once, enjoy your stay in hell"

I would probably characterize that as a problem with divine punishment as well, which the concept of divine absolution, if created in response to the problems of divine punishment, does a poor job of solving because it puts people in conflict with temporal justice. Ov

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 22, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
read minjung theology

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Senju Kannon posted:

read minjung theology

I think you're trying to give an example whereby temporal and divine justice are not necessarily conflicting, and while you are correct, I would argue that the most common Christian presentation of the two I am familiar with, is conflicting. It doesn't always create problems because I think most people don't fully internalize it and possess a sort of instinctive parallel concept of temporal justice, but I feel as though that is in spite of the conflict, not because of it.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually it's an example that takes the effects of being sinned against as seriously as sinning and has really interesting ideas because of it

too bad despite being majority christian korean theology hasn't spread out to the globe beyond academia

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

too bad despite being majority christian korean theology hasn't spread out to the globe beyond academia

I think that's all 20th century theology though, or at least people refuse to engage with it. Liberation theology more like FRANKFURT SCHOOL MODERNIST ATHEIST MARXISM.

Liberal Pentecostals are also developing a form of liberation theology which is more in line with the origins of the movement at Azusa Street and also the work of Pandita Ramabai. You will hear about this from approximately no one.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean i think racism is also a part of it, since a number of lay catholics know at least one german theologian but couldn't name an african or asian one if you held their family over lava, regardless of marxist ideology

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I think a lot of hate and distrust towards Pentecostals and Charismatic Catholics comes from a place of racism. 'cause wow wouldn't you know it, it seems to be those swarthy poors who really like that stuff have you even heard of Karl Barth's dialectical Christology smdh

They're going to have to deal with the shift of the global center of Christianity eventually; China's on the path to becoming the largest Christian nation in the world within about twenty years. They already have more Catholics than any country in Europe with a government that's hostile to religion and the Vatican just shrugs their shoulders at the whole situation.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

I think a lot of hate and distrust towards Pentecostals and Charismatic Catholics comes from a place of racism. 'cause wow wouldn't you know it, it seems to be those swarthy poors who really like that stuff have you even heard of Karl Barth's dialectical Christology smdh

They're going to have to deal with the shift of the global center of Christianity eventually; China's on the path to becoming the largest Christian nation in the world within about twenty years. They already have more Catholics than any country in Europe with a government that's hostile to religion and the Vatican just shrugs their shoulders at the whole situation.

all the charismatic catholics i know are white as hell and i distrust them because their theology is completely insane and borderline heretical and they would absolutely shoot gays for sport if they could

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Senju Kannon posted:

i mean i think racism is also a part of it, since a number of lay catholics know at least one german theologian but couldn't name an african or asian one if you held their family over lava, regardless of marxist ideology

Guilty as charged; please don't hold anyone I'm related to over lava. Any reading suggestions for me so I can avoid lava in future?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Well you live in white people country.

All of the Charismatics at my parish are Mexican or Vietnamese.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i don't give a poo poo who believes in it, charismatic catholicism is hosed up. (whereas mexican folk catholicism is metal as hell and mostly rad)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zonohedron posted:

Guilty as charged; please don't hold anyone I'm related to over lava. Any reading suggestions for me so I can avoid lava in future?

i know zero ones that would appeal to a mainstream catholic so i am part of the problem

wait i'm not catholic anymore that makes me adjacent to the problem

augustine ichiro okumura would be the best one i can think of but his spirituality is SUPER japanese and SUPER catholic which is kinda in opposition to shusaku endo's themes in silence now that i think of it

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Senju Kannon posted:

i know zero ones that would appeal to a mainstream catholic so i am part of the problem

wait i'm not catholic anymore that makes me adjacent to the problem

augustine ichiro okumura would be the best one i can think of but his spirituality is SUPER japanese and SUPER catholic which is kinda in opposition to shusaku endo's themes in silence now that i think of it

I have purchased Awakening to Prayer and when Amazon deigns to leave it in the bushes next to my front door I will read it and give the thread a book report!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i bought it at a library book sale while I was in undergrad for a buck and is partially responsible for my eventual conversion to jodo shinshu so look forward to that i guess

tho for real i would love to see your review no one i know has read it other than me

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

i don't give a poo poo who believes in it, charismatic catholicism is hosed up. (whereas mexican folk catholicism is metal as hell and mostly rad)

lol if you've never seen an 80 year old vietnamese lady dance her feet off when that hammond organ starts playing during the praise break

e: uh oh, a Japanese Carmelite, this sounds like something I should probably read too

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm trying to find stuff by him in Japanese but when you don't know the kanji for someone's name it's basically a crapshoot

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Senju Kannon posted:

i'm trying to find stuff by him in Japanese but when you don't know the kanji for someone's name it's basically a crapshoot

奥村一郎
His name is easy to find. You just look up how Ichiro is spelled and then search for it with his name in Romaji.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
none of it is online but here's the guy

fake edit: wow, beaten

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

奥村一郎
His name is easy to find. You just look up how Ichiro is spelled and then search for it with his name in Romaji.

女神 can be read Megami or Mary, i don't trust romaji to teach me how names are written in kanji

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh no he's dead i'm sad :(

there's a series of compilations of his work in tankobon form, i'm gonna check the first volume out and see if i can make anything out with the aid of a kanji dictionary. for some reason i feel like christian theology would be easier for me than shin buddhist studies

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm more of a fan of St. Peter sighing, handing you a blue book and asking you to write an essay about Christophanies in the Tanakh.

me: yes, all this arguing on calvinist forums has paid off, heaven here I come, fully theologically correct and loving it

Calvinist heaven is an eternity of debating how they got there, exactly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

CountFosco posted:

Calvinist heaven is an eternity of debating how they got there, exactly.

So it's exactly the same as Calvinist hell?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What's charismatic Catholicism?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

It's people who take a perfectly normal Eucharistic adoration and make it weird by adding light shows and singing. They also talk about following Jesus, quite loudly and in the vernacular. Or English.

I think

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have any of you just stopped caring about theology

Like I used to care a lot but now I care less about it than dealing with my own poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smoking Crow posted:

Like I used to care a lot but now I care less about it than dealing with my own poo poo

Welcome to Evangelical Protestantism, please enjoy your stay.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

JcDent posted:

Speaking in tongues, healing masses where you can receive the Sacrament of Anointing the Sick, raising your hands in the air during Mass, a devotion to Padre Pio.

They're basically Pentecostals except still Catholic. It's more popular in the global south than it is in the US or Europe (although I think there are quite a few in Italy) and you generally won't run into them unless you go seek them out. Or see a mariachi band at Adoration because they love that for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

yes but i feel like me answering is cheating

Cythereal posted:

Welcome to Evangelical Protestantism, please enjoy your stay.

listen i've read a ton of evangelical theologians (mostly as a "here's what the other side of this issue thinks" type of exercise) and let me tell you, there is an intellectual tradition there

very small and very loathed by their own community, but it's there

• Locked thread