Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

And my point is that using Scripture as a weapon of judgment is a lot more fun when you're the one judging others, rather than the one being judged. Welcome to the world of homosexuals and other societal misfits who have had to endure that sort of arbitrary scorn their entire lives.

I'm not discounting that. The thing that's confusing not just to me but to other posters in this thread is that other pastors from the same synod are not in agreement with my own pastor. And because of my reputation in this thread, more posters seem to want to side with my hardline pastor out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm not discounting that. The thing that's confusing not just to me but to other posters in this thread is that other pastors from the same synod are not in agreement with my own pastor. And because of my reputation in this thread, more posters seem to want to side with my hardline pastor out of spite.

Your pastor is wrong, but you're not going to change his mind. Find somewhere else to go to church. It's not a fight you're going to win.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Don't talk to us, talk to pastors. We're just an online peanut gallery. This is down to you, God, and whoever you accept as a source of spiritual authority and counsel.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh jkl i'm on the same side i've always been on

the one that's against you

(serious talk i don't give a poo poo about your pastor i just think you're a piece of poo poo and find this funny as gently caress)

(tangerine)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

All I did was point that just going by what you said, it was easy to think of a couple solid reasons to deny permission for a wedding and to be annoyed at going ahead without that permission. Knowing that your pastor doesn't want to let your fiancee marry at all, rather than not marry you, does change things, but you didn't mention that until after you'd gotten quite a lot of reactions already.

Why would it be confusing that there's disagreement among pastors? Any time a denomination has at least three pastors there's going to be conflict over doctrine and discipline, isn't there? If anything, I would think you'd want to be putting together a case to present to your next pastor that you're not actually a horrible home-wrecking heretic, or whatever it is that you expect your current pastor would say if asked, not trying to score points in an argument with your current pastor that not only are you not likely to win, you don't even seem to need to win, since he won't be officiating at the wedding and you don't want to stay with his congregation anyway.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

zonohedron posted:

All I did was point that just going by what you said, it was easy to think of a couple solid reasons to deny permission for a wedding and to be annoyed at going ahead without that permission. Knowing that your pastor doesn't want to let your fiancee marry at all, rather than not marry you, does change things, but you didn't mention that until after you'd gotten quite a lot of reactions already.

Why would it be confusing that there's disagreement among pastors? Any time a denomination has at least three pastors there's going to be conflict over doctrine and discipline, isn't there? If anything, I would think you'd want to be putting together a case to present to your next pastor that you're not actually a horrible home-wrecking heretic, or whatever it is that you expect your current pastor would say if asked, not trying to score points in an argument with your current pastor that not only are you not likely to win, you don't even seem to need to win, since he won't be officiating at the wedding and you don't want to stay with his congregation anyway.

This is a refreshing perspective, and that last sentence is particularly spot-on. And thinking about it, my next pastor (the one performing the marriage counseling) already understands that about us. But when I do eventually transfer to his church, per Bel Canto's summary there may be strife with getting a recommendation in good standing. And I want to help defend against that anyway I can. I guess the red line for me isn't leaving the church entirely as some people here might be cruelly insinuating I do; it's leaving the community (i.e. synod) I grew up in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Let me preface this by saying I hold no personal animus toward you and your fiancee, and hope you find a good church home and have a happy marriage.

I think a lot of the reason a lot of posters are upset is that from your posts you don't seem very self-aware of 1) the severity of adultery and your role in ending your fiancees previous marriage, and 2) how hypocritical this looks. Yes, I acknowledge you haven't posted much in this iteration of the thread at all, but you've espoused a lot of traditional/conservative sexual morals in this thread.

Are you absolutely certain that your pastor's refusal to marry you two is based solely on her ex-husbands refusal to have sex? You seem to really be minimizing the role of your affair here. Yes, I understand you've confessed and are forgiven and I'm not going after you specifically for the act of adultery, we're all sinners. But, you seem to be asking "how do I convince my pastor that her ex-husband's refusal of sex is grounds for a divorce" while completely downplaying the fact that you and your fiancee's affair were also part of the divorce. Are you sure your pastor's thinking isn't "refusal of sex isn't grounds for divorce and also you and your fiancee directly contributed to ruining her previous marriage."

You didn't even need to mention the adultery. If the issue is just the basis for divorce (ex-husband wasn't fulfilling his conjugal duties as per Scripture), why even bring the affair up in the thread?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Let me preface this by saying I hold no personal animus toward you and your fiancee, and hope you find a good church home and have a happy marriage.

I think a lot of the reason a lot of posters are upset is that from your posts you don't seem very self-aware of 1) the severity of adultery and your role in ending your fiancees previous marriage, and 2) how hypocritical this looks. Yes, I acknowledge you haven't posted much in this iteration of the thread at all, but you've espoused a lot of traditional/conservative sexual morals in this thread.

Are you absolutely certain that your pastor's refusal to marry you two is based solely on her ex-husbands refusal to have sex? You seem to really be minimizing the role of your affair here. Yes, I understand you've confessed and are forgiven and I'm not going after you specifically for the act of adultery, we're all sinners. But, you seem to be asking "how do I convince my pastor that her ex-husband's refusal of sex is grounds for a divorce" while completely downplaying the fact that you and your fiancee's affair were also part of the divorce. Are you sure your pastor's thinking isn't "refusal of sex isn't grounds for divorce and also you and your fiancee directly contributed to ruining her previous marriage."

You didn't even need to mention the adultery. If the issue is just the basis for divorce (ex-husband wasn't fulfilling his conjugal duties as per Scripture), why even bring the affair up in the thread?

Because it was only then that that pastor was brought into the picture, and that event along with his somewhat sexist downplaying of my fiancée's side of the story is what's influencing his thinking--not the gospel. That's why I feel, if it weren't for the "bigger" event coloring his judgement, he wouldn't be holding the stance that he is. Because like I mentioned, in Protestantism all sins are equal.

As mentioned the ex-husband should have gone to counseling as my fiancée practically begged him to, but refused. At that point she should have divorced him or at least separated. But she didn't have the foresight or wisdom to consider that, and now we're all paying the price with this difficulty with my current pastor. I'm trying to work to make sure everyone on all sides understands why I don't feel guilt over marrying her. Because like I just said I'd prefer to stay in this synod.

I guess at this point I may have to simply bank on numerical majority support from other clergy in his own synod if he won't listen. And failing even that (i.e. the pastor performing the marriage counseling decides his career isn't worth the effort in defending his decision to let us get married), the eject button would be ELCA.

Also I understand this is a peanut gallery. While I was hoping some of the more even-tempered peanuts would pipe up (and some did and I'm grateful for that), I also was just needing a place to write it all down. To boot I have no alt accounts and have nothing to hide.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Because it was only then that that pastor was brought into the picture, and that event along with his somewhat sexist downplaying of my fiancée's side of the story is what's influencing his thinking--not the gospel.

At that point she should have divorced him or at least separated. But she didn't have the foresight or wisdom to consider that, and now we're all paying the price with this difficulty with my current pastor.

you also seem to be blaming her

edit: from your posts you appear to blaming her ex-husband for refusing sex, and your fiancee for not getting divorced sooner

rather than acknowledging that your and her adultery might be a big part of this

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 22, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

there are other delicate elements in the balance, not the least of which is my status... and my dad's status...

she didn't have the foresight or wisdom to consider that, and now we're all paying the price
you sound like a real catch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

All of you suck

:yeah:
Romans 3:10-12.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

you also seem to be blaming her

edit: from your posts you appear to blaming her ex-husband for refusing sex, and your fiancee for not getting divorced sooner

rather than acknowledging that your and her adultery might be a big part of this

I'm contending that after penitence and forgiveness, none of it should play any part in this. Smoking Crow is right: we're all idiots who should have made better decisions. But the reality of the situation is now to minimize whatever damage this pastor wants to do to us even after forgiveness has been rendered. I don't wanna hit eject and go to ELCA unless I absolutely have to.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is a refreshing perspective, and that last sentence is particularly spot-on. And thinking about it, my next pastor (the one performing the marriage counseling) already understands that about us. But when I do eventually transfer to his church, per Bel Canto's summary there may be strife with getting a recommendation in good standing. And I want to help defend against that anyway I can. I guess the red line for me isn't leaving the church entirely as some people here might be cruelly insinuating I do; it's leaving the community (i.e. synod) I grew up in.

man it must really suck to have to leave the church community you feel incredibly attached to because they can't stand the idea that you and your partner could get married

i can't even imagine what that must be like. now if you'll excuse me, i need to do my daily practice to show my devotion to amida and give thanks for his universal vow

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I've decided to summarize via political cartoon:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly i think i should stop if only because cuckolding is a choice, and being gay/bi/trans is not

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

P-Mack posted:

I've decided to summarize via political cartoon:

Finally, a thread summary we can all understand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While I enjoy reading the thread for the theological chat this conversation is reminding me how poorly I get on with the notion of divinely granted absolution.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

While I enjoy reading the thread for the theological chat this conversation is reminding me how poorly I get on with the notion of divinely granted absolution.

Personally, I'm okay with saying "God may have forgiven you, but I still say you done hosed up. Godly absolution is not the same as mortal forgiveness." Absolution does not mean freedom from consequences.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And I am okay with my blinding and absolute hatred of oathbreakers regardless of their beliefs about the matter, but I remain at a distinctly chilly relationship with the concept of divine absolution because I cannot help but believe it encourages laxity.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
do you think the same about temporal absolution? if your friend fucks up, can you forgive them?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I mean the alternative is "you hosed up once, enjoy your stay in hell"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

And I am okay with my blinding and absolute hatred of oathbreakers regardless of their beliefs about the matter, but I remain at a distinctly chilly relationship with the concept of divine absolution because I cannot help but believe it encourages laxity.
the catholics and orthodox demand a penance though, and anecdotally i've noticed more of my catholic friends wanting something more concrete than just "feeling sorry for something = they're fine now", which might be a reflection of that in secular life

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean technically there's not, in the sense that there's like a billion potential variants between divine absolution and eternal damnation. hell jail being a potential example, and a system similar to karma where one works out their demerits in future lives. so creating a polarity there seems a bit unnecessary since we haven't sussed out what exactly is wrong with the concept of divine absolution for this poster and therefore have no need for pigeonholing someone who cannot be pigeon holed

masaka

bakana

impossible

a poster who cannot be put in a pigeon's hole! haahuuuhugh haagh huugh hhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
sounds even more bad rear end than regular jail

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

You say that like there's a difference

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

But she didn't have the foresight or wisdom to consider that, and now we're all paying the price
are you sure "my girlfriend was too dumb not to gently caress me" is where you want this to go

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

hell jail worse than gay baby jail but not as bad as supermax

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Can any of the erudite and/or Eastern Christians recommend me a good source for identifying and dealing with passions?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Can any of the erudite and/or Eastern Christians recommend me a good source for identifying and dealing with passions?
unseen warfare
https://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Warfare-Spiritual-Paradise-Lorenzo/dp/0913836524
weirdly enough it was catholic, but we picked it up and after the 16th century y'all didn't

also, Unseen Warfare, Greater Jihad, and Death To The World are all good band names

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 22, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
also potential call of duty subtitles

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
as far as i know, Unseen Warfare and Greater Jihad are the same thing, or very similar

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GAIL posted:

unseen warfare
https://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Warfare-Spiritual-Paradise-Lorenzo/dp/0913836524
weirdly enough it was catholic, but we picked it up and after the 16th century y'all didn't

also, Unseen Warfare, Greater Jihad, and Death To The World are all good band names

Thanks!

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If you want Desert Fathers, Evagrius of Pontus is your guy. For early modern, one can't do better than Jacques Esprit, The Falsity of Human Virtue.

And on the latter subject, just in passing, a shallow vindictiveness that conceals itself, quite poorly, behind a moralism equally lacking in depth seems to qualify.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Numerical Anxiety posted:

If you want Desert Fathers, Evagrius of Pontus is your guy. For early modern, one can't do better than Jacques Esprit, The Falsity of Human Virtue.

And on the latter subject, just in passing, a shallow vindictiveness that conceals itself, quite poorly, behind a moralism equally lacking in depth seems to qualify.

Thanks for this. The Desert Fathers are definitely a great source of wisdom.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Thanks for the replies to the sacraments thing, now I learned what Donatism is and also that some Berbers were Christian at some point. Apparently there's a trend of converting "back" to Christianity in Algeria at the moment, which is cool, because that's not even illegal there.

Also smh at the adultery discussion. I don't even remember JKL's anti lgbt posts, but to claim that the gospels don't take a position against adultery and remarriage is a bit rich

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

remarriage
we're capped at four, but i never learned why

the catholic/calvinist converts are trying to reverse this, ofc, because they don't give a poo poo about tradition

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Hi christianity thread, hope I'm not interrupting anything... Just wanted to check in and say that yesterday I finally set the wheels in motion on getting baptized and joining a church! :woop:

Also I'm gay married

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Public Serpent posted:

Hi christianity thread, hope I'm not interrupting anything... Just wanted to check in and say that yesterday I finally set the wheels in motion on getting baptized and joining a church! :woop:

Also I'm gay married

Welcome to the flock, and congrats! I wish you and yours many years :)

which church, if you don't mind us asking?

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Thank you! And I don't mind at all. The Church of Sweden, which is Evangelical Lutheran. When I was born it was still the state church, so I would have been a member already if my parents hadn't both left the church before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

we're capped at four, but i never learned why

the catholic/calvinist converts are trying to reverse this, ofc, because they don't give a poo poo about tradition

I suppose it'd be to avoid a short-term marriage situation like they have in Iran, where you can basically have a promiscuous lifestyle sanctioned by the religious authorities, if you're a man.
But don't Orthodox Christians have to go through some kind of process to remarry, even when their spouse has died?
Also if a Catholic remarries without an anullment, and then later their ex-partner dies, does their later marriage retroactively become valid?

Anyway, from what I've read the new testament's argument against divorce / remarriage doesn't seem to primarily be grounded in the continence thing. But rather it seems to be based on the fact that a man divorcing his wife in that time and place would essentially have kicked her out of the house to an uncertain fate, and doing that for anything but the gravest of reasons would be pretty horrible. So in our modern society, when being a male or female divorcee is not an existential threat to most people, I think it would be within the spirit of the law to be a bit more lenient about that issue.

Also welcome to the flock, Public Serpent

• Locked thread