Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

The ramming ship has a lot of space torque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Lavender posted:

That's Adam Scott isn't it.

I thought it was weird that the rebel ship in RO could do that, after we had just seen other rebel ships break up against star destroyers like so many dingies against rocks. That a rebel ship could push one destroyer into another and then into the barrier gate felt to me like me being able to push a truck in neutral into another truck that's not in neutral and then push them both through the front of a building.

But if that ship was build to do that or whatever, that's cool. It was fun to watch.

well they shut down that destroyer's shields and engines in the previous scenes I believe, allowing the hammerhead, a ship designed to ram things, to give it the thrust it needed to fall with the planet's gravity into the shield gate.

why is this scene so hard to understand?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

every time worf got the defiant he was blowing up civilian ships, fighting other federation ships, or trying to ram it into something

oh and i swear that corvette thing was taken from one of the extra campaigns for the original x-wing. you capture some kind of corvette and then there's a cut scene of it taking out like 5 star destroyers that are all lined up in a perfect row.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But it wasn't the capital ship. He ordered a Hammerhead Corvette to ram the disabled star destroyer, and it's pretty much designed for exactly that.

Many ships in pirate times were also designed with a ram, based on the designs of Athenian war ships.

In WWII ramming the most effective and often used means of destroying U-boats and nazi ships that were extremely sluggish in turning versus the American and British vessels that had quick turning and ramming capabilities.

From Ancient Greece to the galaxy far far away, ramming is actually a tremendously effective tool in a ship's arsenal.

Everybody watch the 300 sequel. It's basically 300 on ships with Eva Green as the antagonist. It's all ancient Greek naval combat, which meant boating running into each other and then people fighting with swords and spears and poo poo on those boats. The big climax is the main character emerges from the bowels of a ship on a goddamn horse and rides it across a field of burning ships all clumped together.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The main climax is Eva Green's can contractually obligated sex scene.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

a bone to pick posted:

well they shut down that destroyer's shields and engines in the previous scenes I believe, allowing the hammerhead, a ship designed to ram things, to give it the thrust it needed to fall with the planet's gravity into the shield gate.

Yeah it's not. Just the idea of a capital space ship being build to withstand ramming wasn't totally obvious to me. Calling a ship "Hammerhead" in an armada commanded by fish monsters makes its role at least a little ambiguous.

Again though - again - it's fine. It looked cool. It's all fine.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Lavender posted:

Calling a ship "Hammerhead" in an armada commanded by fish monsters makes its role at least a little ambiguous.

this made me laugh, thank you

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Everybody watch the 300 sequel. It's basically 300 on ships with Eva Green as the antagonist. It's all ancient Greek naval combat, which meant boating running into each other and then people fighting with swords and spears and poo poo on those boats. The big climax is the main character emerges from the bowels of a ship on a goddamn horse and rides it across a field of burning ships all clumped together.

300 got a sequel?

What was it called 301?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Literally the only concrete thing I remember from that 300 sequel is the scene between Eva Green and Protagonist Dude where they're doing that thing where the villain is an overly sexy lady who's obnoxiously flirty with the protagonist (think, like, any time Batman deals with a female villain) and they actually just end up loving right there whereas in other movies it never goes beyond the creepy flirting.

It was actually kinda funny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Entropic posted:

TFA would have been like 50% better if they'd just found a way to cut the Death Star III plot entirely though, christ.

I wis they had just ripped off Char's Counterattack. The remnants of the Empire's space fleet show up to surrender, but it turns out it's a trick, and then there's a desperate battle in orbit over Coruscant as the Republic tries to stop the Empire from blowing up the planet

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

powerful sex moves posted:

Literally the only concrete thing I remember from that 300 sequel is the scene between Eva Green and Protagonist Dude where they're doing that thing where the villain is an overly sexy lady who's obnoxiously flirty with the protagonist (think, like, any time Batman deals with a female villain) and they actually just end up loving right there whereas in other movies it never goes beyond the creepy flirting.

It was actually kinda funny.

And more realistic.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i never liked 300 that much because i don't like stylized comic book versions of actual history, but the just loving the flirty female villain is a good way to get past the whole overly virtuous hero thing.

as a side note, does anyone remember that aeon flux version of alexander the great? now that poo poo was loving nuts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's barely any actual history in those 300 movies. The Battle of Thermopylae is just something for the filmmakers to hang a lot of homo eroticism and gore on. Which makes those movies alright in my book.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
They also portrayed Artemisia as a street urchin when she was one of the most powerful women ever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i never liked 300 that much because i don't like stylized comic book versions of actual history, but the just loving the flirty female villain is a good way to get past the whole overly virtuous hero thing.

as a side note, does anyone remember that aeon flux version of alexander the great? now that poo poo was loving nuts.

Reign: The Conqueror

All I know about is the character designs, was it any good?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dmitri-9 posted:

They also portrayed Artemisia as a street urchin when she was one of the most powerful women ever.

Zac Snyder decided she needed to be hosed in the rear end instead.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
300 is a really entertaining movie but it's one of those things where the criticisms against it are all valid and I can't really defend it. It's a love it or hate it kind of movie.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I cant believe my Zach Snyder movie isnt more like a Ken Burns documentary!!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Zak Snyder is going to gently caress Wonder Woman in the rear end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's a happily married man.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

JB50 posted:

I cant believe my Zach Snyder movie isnt more like a Ken Burns documentary!!

it is what it is. i'd rather see the ken burns documentary. ken burns is good poo poo.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Reign: The Conqueror

All I know about is the character designs, was it any good?

i barely watched any of it. i remember it being creepy, extremely homoerotic, and it had weird poo poo like people using flying machines and dropping bombs and elephants that used their trunks like flame throwers. also there is a lot of scenes where people appear to be loving giant snakes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rise of an Empire is great because half of the is taking the piss out of how blatantly fascist the first movie is. The Athenians are all "yeah let those spartan nut jobs have their glorious death on land, if that armada gets around them we're hosed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
1)R1 was an okay movie that had a ridiculously awesome finale. Everything aside from that was ultimately forgettable, which is why I get real kneejerky when people claim it's the best Star Wars movie in the franchise. Empire is a better, more exciting film from start to finish. Consistency is a big deal to me. R1 is kinda similar to RotJ in that regard; awesome finales tarnished by baffling decisions in the middle. Ewoks, random space terrorist leader, it's all the same.

2)300, part deux, was hilarious for its battle sex scene and that was really enough for me to finish enjoy the film.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Everybody watch the 300 sequel.

It's loving garbage and my friend who will watch pretty much any piece of poo poo made me turn it off after half an hour.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

If he does you know it's going to be a gritty rear end with sweat, dingleberries, a few hairs. Maybe a scar or two.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Metaphorically speaking

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Ehhh.... Not really? She was a local dynast (Queen of Caria, in Anatolia, also a Greek), who ruled as a vassal of the Great King of Persia, because local dynasties and monarchies were usually left in power subservient to the Persians in areas they conquered. She commanded all of 5 warships in the battle of Salamis.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like she might still be in the top 100, top 200 at the outside.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Space Taxi posted:

If he does you know it's going to be a gritty rear end with sweat, dingleberries, a few hairs. Maybe a scar or two.

speedup slow-down action shots and techno music in the background.

when questioned about his decision to put the butt gently caress scene in the movie he'll say "star wars had way more butt-loving"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a bone to pick posted:

It was a ship they took from the RTS Star Wars: Empire at War. They were not very damaging but they were a cheap way to take a capital ship out of play in order to divide and conquer.

Shinjobi posted:

1)R1 was an okay movie that had a ridiculously awesome finale. Everything aside from that was ultimately forgettable, which is why I get real kneejerky when people claim it's the best Star Wars movie in the franchise. Empire is a better, more exciting film from start to finish. Consistency is a big deal to me. R1 is kinda similar to RotJ in that regard; awesome finales tarnished by baffling decisions in the middle. Ewoks, random space terrorist leader, it's all the same.

R1 the better of the 2 new movies and it did it without an opening crawl.

JJ was being JJ throwing poo poo on the wall like he does with every movie he makes. TFA had all your icons you expect like how you have like John Williams to the point they blatantly stole from itself. None of it pays off or has any real setup.

TFA was like 90's Pepsi trying to be an extreme of Coke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least TFA gave a poo poo about its new characters. Rogue One sucks the dick of original trilogy so much that the new characters get sidelined so that Vader and Tarkin get spotlight whenever they appear.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least TFA gave a poo poo about its new characters. Rogue One sucks the dick of original trilogy so much that the new characters get sidelined so that Vader and Tarkin get spotlight whenever they appear.

Yes. This. The movie where the new characters weren't developed so that we could have unrelenting applause breaks for the Millennium Falcon, Han, Chewie, Leia, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Vader's mask definitely didn't suck any nostalgia dicks at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yes. This. The movie where the new characters weren't developed so that we could have unrelenting applause breaks for the Millennium Falcon, Han, Chewie, Leia, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Vader's mask definitely didn't suck any nostalgia dicks at all.

Characters relevant to the ongoing story.

Who the gently caress ever cared to see Tarkin again? Was it you? WAS IT YOU????

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always liked Tarkin and thought he was a really underrated character and that still didn't make Rogue One enjoyable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CG aside, Tarkin was one of the interesting bits in R1 how he hosed over Krennic in a display of the bureaucratic backbiting in the Empire.

My favourite thing about R1 was how Krennic was a villain not because he was a horrible evil shithead but because he had some loving DEADLINES to hit if he wanted to get the sweet promotion and kudos from the Emperor!

He was definitely the my favourite character in the movie and the most memorable.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ENDLESS TRASH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-tu4fj4zA

Still looks better than the Johnny Depp one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Still looks better than the Johnny Depp one.

Pretty low bar to clear, there.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

priznat posted:

CG aside, Tarkin was one of the interesting bits in R1 how he hosed over Krennic in a display of the bureaucratic backbiting in the Empire.

My favourite thing about R1 was how Krennic was a villain not because he was a horrible evil shithead but because he had some loving DEADLINES to hit if he wanted to get the sweet promotion and kudos from the Emperor!

He was definitely the my favourite character in the movie and the most memorable.

Make Jyn Erso his daughter who worked as a pilot who defects to the Rebellion. You can cut down the number of characters and have some interesting conflict that way. Krennic was great whenever he was onscreen.

The Archaic fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Where's the next god drat video?

• Locked thread