Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So... Cosmic Star Heroine then.

I dunno, maybe I'm an outlier, but this game is the exact sort of thing that I've been hankering for. An early PSX style sprite JRPG with its fair share of goofy callbacks and references without going like ludicrously over the top with them like Guacamelee did.

I've run into a few bugs here and there (Can't use AOEs in the underwater base for some reason, got stuck in a wall once), but man, it's fun and solid enough, and I'm probably willing to forgive a lot purely for being so laser focused to my tastes. Also I just got Clarke and he's great. :allears: I just wish his gimmick didn't rely on me losing my Leader Satchel buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish Sony EU would give Zeboyd the Cosmic Star Heroine codes to give out to backers but at the same time I'm only 70 hours into Persona 5..

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes it is good from moment one
Agreed. That was a hell of an opening, and I loved it from there.

This is what I keep saying when somebody suggests that no, the thing that makes you like the game comes 20 hours in!

No, it's good from the start. If you don't like it and/or it doesn't click with you that's fine but this idea that it's somehow not fun, entertaining and thought provoking until you've played 3/5 of the game is pretty silly.

Edit: it takes mental effort for me to not just instantly think about Cosmic Spacehead every time someone says Cosmic Star Heroine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Akuma posted:

Agreed. That was a hell of an opening, and I loved it from there.

This is what I keep saying when somebody suggests that no, the thing that makes you like the game comes 20 hours in!

No, it's good from the start. If you don't like it and/or it doesn't click with you that's fine but this idea that it's somehow not fun, entertaining and thought provoking until you've played 3/5 of the game is pretty silly.

Edit: it takes mental effort for me to not just instantly think about Cosmic Spacehead every time someone says Cosmic Star Heroine.

For me while I enjoyed it from the prologue, the first moment where it really hooked me was This Cannot Continue. But if by the end of playthrough A, neither that, the amusement park, or Become As Gods have done it for you I can't imagine anything else in the game is going to.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
All the biggest feels in nier are at the end, and if you don't love it you can skip all the side stuff and make it a pretty short game. While I'm posting I came across the shinjuku homosexuals for the second time and got to really spend some time looking at their outfits and idle animations and let me say the people calling them offensive are actually 100% correct, please excuse me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The amusement park was dope. Most of the story stuff has at least one thing that is pretty interesting about it so no major complaints there. Art direction is cool and I like it for the most part and the music is fantastic if not a little repetitive.

The things that turn me off are that the environments are so bland. They look about 1/4 finished and the game isn't fun to explore around in really. Everything is copy pasted over and over and virtually empty. On top of that there doesn't seem to be any consistency to what is an invisible wall and what you can actually explore. I just did the castle and it's literally just the same empty rooms with occasional enemies thrown in. The combat and movement mechanics are satisfying, but so shallow it's hard to get super engaged and the enemy variety feels pretty low, although they seem to be throwing a few more at me now. I also really dislike the chip system/customization. Also, the side quests are super bog standard MMO stuff as far as I can tell and sometimes I will go to the areas they are supposed to be in and there seems to be nothing there and I have no idea why. Those are my issues with it I guess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You're focusing on the wrong stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

By the wrong stuff do you mean the actual game? Like, what I am doing 80% of the time?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

By the wrong stuff do you mean the actual game? Like, what I am doing 80% of the time?

Like talking about how the world looks cheap is not a criticism that matters for this game in the way it would for a game that is trying to be an exploration based open world game

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

Like talking about how the world looks cheap is not a criticism that matters for this game in the way it would for a game that is trying to be an exploration based open world game

I think if it affects an individuals enjoyment, it's valid.

For example, usually performance issues bug the poo poo out of me, but strangely, for all my faults with N:A, I didn't really care, (despite it looking last-gen-ish and running like dogshit at times...)

But the gameplay (the whole reason I am playing a game rather than watching a movie or reading a book) just never did it for me. (That is no indictment, I own that as my personal opinion only...)

In a moment of boredom laying in bed at 6 am with both my kids asleep on me, and realizing I was busy all weekend, I found a solid, coherent synopsis and am glad I did.

It makes for (for me) a much more interesting "short story" than it does a thing I have to play through.

Big ups to Yoko Taro for having cool ideas.

Big downs to Platinum for seemingly no longer making good action in their action games. I had more fun with Basic Bitch Transformers.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Your opinions and criticisms are only valid if they match up with mine, sorry that's reality buckaroo

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Finally beat the main scenario in FFXV. That story sure did go off the rails, but honestly that's kinda par for the course. I don't know why or how it always happens, but the plots start out somewhat reasonable and by the end they turn completely inexplicable. This isn't the most nonsensical FF ending I've ever seen, but it's definitely up there on my list.

Overall, I found FFXV to be a fun, flawed, beautiful game. I loved the world, the characters and their interactions, and the overall presentation was top notch, even with all the glitches. I'm really close to a plat, so I might as well go for it (need to work on fishing, Gladio's survival skills, pick up a couple weapons, and take on one more hunt).

It gets an 8/10 for me.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
It's a really great road trip simulator, but then you get on a boat and everything goes to poo poo.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Meldonox posted:

It's a really great road trip simulator, but then you get on a boat and everything goes to poo poo.

Yeah, that's definitely when the plot started to go off the rails really badly. I have so many questions about the ending, too, but I'm excited to take on the Gladio DLC.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feenix posted:

I think if it affects an individuals enjoyment, it's valid.

For example, usually performance issues bug the poo poo out of me, but strangely, for all my faults with N:A, I didn't really care, (despite it looking last-gen-ish and running like dogshit at times...)

But the gameplay (the whole reason I am playing a game rather than watching a movie or reading a book) just never did it for me. (That is no indictment, I own that as my personal opinion only...)

In a moment of boredom laying in bed at 6 am with both my kids asleep on me, and realizing I was busy all weekend, I found a solid, coherent synopsis and am glad I did.

It makes for (for me) a much more interesting "short story" than it does a thing I have to play through.

Big ups to Yoko Taro for having cool ideas.

Big downs to Platinum for seemingly no longer making good action in their action games. I had more fun with Basic Bitch Transformers.

Those cool ideas are best executed through mechanics, as they are in Nier:A, which is the reason one plays a game rather than reading a "short story." But more power to you in your busy life and I hope you find another game you enjoy :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feenix posted:

Sure, as a whole... but from moment one??

My comment was specifically referring to Pablo saying it was one of the best games of the year from the beginning...

That's not what I said though. You're being really weird about all of this

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those cool ideas are best executed through mechanics, as they are in Nier:A, which is the reason one plays a game rather than reading a "short story." But more power to you in your busy life and I hope you find another game you enjoy :)

Yeah I really wasn't trying to disparage it. :) I actually liked reading about it. I'm sure it would have had more impact playing through it, but as the mechanics didn't entertain me much, I think reading about it was the best route.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

This is one of those games where goons will bend over backward to defend absolutely anything that's wrong with it, isn't it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did the Creators Update screw up DS4Windows? Having trouble with most games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Digirat posted:

This is one of those games where goons will bend over backward to defend absolutely anything that's wrong with it, isn't it.

For real I think the game is loving amazing but the environments look cheap because they are cheap and, like with Revengeance that does occasionally shine through a little more than is probably ideal. It's silly to dismiss that as a valid issue someone might have with the game. SquareEnix is very stingy with anything that doesn't have Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest in the title it's not like the Sega/Nintendo money days when Platinum could spend years making tons of dialogue and ship options for Infinite Space or the hyper-ornate creatures and some striking scenery and boss areas in Bayonetta. There's nothing wrong with noticing that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 22, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nier: Automata looks like a remastered PS2 game.

The environments in Snake Eater are prettier than Nier Automata, and it's like a dozen years old.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rinkles posted:

Did the Creators Update screw up DS4Windows? Having trouble with most games.

Does the light on your DualShock 4 come on on its own?

Do you have Steam running, even if in the background, most of the time?

Steam asserted control over the DualShock 4 in a previous update, and now it inputs keyboard commands automatically along with button commands (and pops Steam open when you hit the home button). Since you probably don't want to turn Steam off most of the time, go into Big Picture: Settings > Controller Settings and disable support for the PlayStation 4 controller, then unplug and replug it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, buff stacking in CSH can net you some goddamn silly results.

A miniboss with 11k HP managed to stun Alyssa right before her turn, so I managed to get in yet another round of buffs before she got a chance to unwind with an elemental weakness combo attack. For a whole 48k. :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Digirat posted:

Im not defending it. Veni is playing the wrong game if he wants a modern aaa gameworld

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm an outlier, but this game is the exact sort of thing that I've been hankering for. An early PSX style sprite JRPG with its fair share of goofy callbacks and references without going like ludicrously over the top with them like Guacamelee did.

I've run into a few bugs here and there (Can't use AOEs in the underwater base for some reason, got stuck in a wall once), but man, it's fun and solid enough, and I'm probably willing to forgive a lot purely for being so laser focused to my tastes. Also I just got Clarke and he's great. :allears: I just wish his gimmick didn't rely on me losing my Leader Satchel buff.

I enjoyed it quite a lot myself, so you're not alone. It does the best thing a JRPG can do in that it gives you a good variety of characters with a lot of different ways you can use them thanks to all the abilities you get. So even when the game isn't difficult it's still a lot of fun trying out different character combos and seeing just how high of a damage number you can reach, especially with the game's emphasis on utilizing buffs and debuffs to maximize your damage.

All the aesthetic-related stuff is great and the writing is solid, too, even if it does put its worst foot forward with the opening segment (imo it's the first two-ish hours of the game that have the worst writing and most groan-worthy jokes). The pacing is pretty solid as well, though having finished it I can't help but feel it would have been ideal if there had been another planet to explore. Though given the game's overly extended development time, it's probably for the best that there wasn't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dont be mean to me posted:

Does the light on your DualShock 4 come on on its own?

Do you have Steam running, even if in the background, most of the time?

Steam asserted control over the DualShock 4 in a previous update, and now it inputs keyboard commands automatically along with button commands (and pops Steam open when you hit the home button). Since you probably don't want to turn Steam off most of the time, go into Big Picture: Settings > Controller Settings and disable support for the PlayStation 4 controller, then unplug and replug it.

Thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is that Edith Finch game that came out good at all? I liked Unfinished Swan but also got it for free, so

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I got this yesterday but haven't started it. I hear the humor leaves a lot to be desired but I think I can deal with that for a retro RPG. Any idea on the game length?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Is that Edith Finch game that came out good at all? I liked Unfinished Swan but also got it for free, so

It's not out yet. I ordered it though so I'll let you know. It does look pretty drat cool.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I got this yesterday but haven't started it. I hear the humor leaves a lot to be desired but I think I can deal with that for a retro RPG. Any idea on the game length?

I'm just under 12 hours right now and I'm still getting new party members. And there's a lot of kind of obvious "Sidequest happens here" stuff that's locked off on various planets, so I'm guessing 20 hours or so, maybe 25. Level 38 right now.

I do know I ran into a superboss like four hours ago that kicked my rear end and is still miles beyond anything I can take on. For now.

Also, I wish punchdad didn't become so outclassed. I like him a lot.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Resident Evil 7 really sucks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm just under 12 hours right now and I'm still getting new party members. And there's a lot of kind of obvious "Sidequest happens here" stuff that's locked off on various planets, so I'm guessing 20 hours or so, maybe 25. Level 38 right now.

I do know I ran into a superboss like four hours ago that kicked my rear end and is still miles beyond anything I can take on. For now.

Cool, this sounds like exactly what I want out of it. Played a few too many 50-75 hour games recently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Resident Evil 7 really sucks.

How,so? Was gonna get it eventually.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How,so? Was gonna get it eventually.

I'm bad at it, probably. You're stalked by a literal superhuman who cannot die, and you can take about 4 hits before you're killed. On top of that the common monsters are bullet sponges and it's just lovely. It plays like Amnesia, where you're supposed to avoid things as much as possible, and if you do have to fight, you can *try* aiming with joysticks for the head, which just sucks a fatty.

Also the game seems to have completely departed from virus induced zombie horror to plain old survival horror. It's like the texas chainsaw massacre with the Biohazard label on it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I'm bad at it, probably. You're stalked by a literal superhuman who cannot die, and you can take about 4 hits before you're killed. On top of that the common monsters are bullet sponges and it's just lovely. It plays like Amnesia, where you're supposed to avoid things as much as possible, and if you do have to fight, you can *try* aiming with joysticks for the head, which just sucks a fatty.

Also the game seems to have completely departed from virus induced zombie horror to plain old survival horror. It's like the texas chainsaw massacre with the Biohazard label on it.

Play it on easy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed Resident Evil 7. I only got caught once by Daddy and never died to him in the field. I did get killed like 100 times in the morgue but after that the game clicked and I made steady progress forward.

I also killed every enemy I confronted and ended the game with boxes and boxes of spare ammo.

Also the story summation in that last line is incorrect

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is Drakengard really that bad? I played the first few minutes today and it seemed alright. Did it do well enough to become a "PS2 Classic" on PS4?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a bad game with an interesting story and no, drakengard 1 and 2 are ps2 only. maybe they're on psnow but I doubt it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

All the Drakengard games are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i downloaded the Nier demo and maybe the game is not for me. At least not at full price. I wish Persona had a demo so i could try it.

Yazuka is good so far.