Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

He got his magic longsword. That's SO much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

CottonWolf posted:

He got his magic longsword. That's SO much better.

And a badass cape. Hell yes, Battler is back in action.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

resurgam40 posted:

What? ... What!? Not only is he alive again, but he's a goddamn- WHAT?!?

:psypop:

Well, at least this loving Witch bullshit won't effect him anymore, since he now apparently has all the cheat codes to La-La Land, but... he did start out this journey on a quest to disprove magic, right? I didn't just imagine that or wake up in some alternate dimension, yes? He must stop magic, and now he is magic, and :pwn:

"No! I must deny the witches!" Battler Ushiromiya shouted
Lambadelta said "No, Battler. You are the witches"
And then Battler Ushiromiya was the Endless Sorcerer.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So we've gone from trying to disprove witches to becoming a witch to disprove a fantasy in a mystery story. What's next, going full meta and acknowledging the fantasy of the story we're reading in this LP to make a point about love or something?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

bman in 2288 posted:

So we've gone from trying to disprove witches to becoming a witch to disprove a fantasy in a mystery story. What's next, going full meta and acknowledging the fantasy of the story we're reading in this LP to make a point about love or something?

Yep. In chapter 7, meta -Bern and -Lambda are going to start posting about themselves in this thread, revealing that they were just playthings of the true culprit, ProfessorProf.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CottonWolf posted:

Yep. In chapter 7, meta -Bern and -Lambda are going to start posting about themselves in this thread, revealing that they were just playthings of the true culprit, ProfessorProf.

I'm okay with this since it means we'll get a Meta-Battler at some point.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

From the manga version of this scene:

I was really hoping there would be a Sailor Moon transformation, but gaining Kinzo's cape and the goofy magic longsword is pretty great too so I can't be mad.

I can't believe we haven't even finished episode 5 yet, this has just barely started.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 22, 2017

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bman in 2288 posted:

Shhhhh SPOILERS!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yes yes yes it's time :allears::allears:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
did not expect Battler to become a magical boy

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Haven't seen a boy this magical since Star Driver. I am incredibly hype

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

This is a guarantee that the mystery is completely 100% solvable now. In fact, the author has stated that the mystery is solvable using only information from episodes 1-4 (not that I know of anybody who actually managed that).

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Think of it as instead of going magic is real more of its I know what to do and its my turn to tell this story, which someone made with Love

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

"No! I must deny the witches!" Battler Ushiromiya shouted
Lambadelta said "No, Battler. You are the witches"
And then Battler Ushiromiya was the Endless Sorcerer.

Tired Moritz posted:

did not expect Battler to become a magical boy

:allears:

Battler is going to be the best witch.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

Alopex posted:

I cried a little.

I cried a lot.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
The cape look is cool and all, but witches have a well established visual style. I demand Battler in a fancy dress immediately.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I just want you all to know that I loving called Battler becoming a wizard, all the way back in EP2.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aisu posted:

The cape look is cool and all, but witches have a well established visual style. I demand Battler in a fancy dress immediately.

He's a sorcerer.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

He's a sorcerer.

this makes a lot of sense. his Charisma is much higher than his Intelligence.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RedMagus posted:

this makes a lot of sense. his Charisma is much higher than his Intelligence.

Now now, his INT is fine. It's his WIS he used as a dump stat.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Video added to LP: Goodbye

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

We know the whydunnit is solvable, and I will continue to insist that the motive is Shannon's. Attempting to remind Battler of his broken promise (in English) six years ago.
I've been thinking about our discussions over the last few pages, the promise, about Shannon's age, (specifically this...

Tender Child Loins posted:

Which begs the question of why the gently caress anyone would take on a 6-year-old servant. Wasn't it stated before that the Fukuin kids only get to work on Rokkenjima if they are at the top of their classes? Surely that didn't mean "shoelace tying" or "recorder playing" classes or whatever first graders do.
...) the cliff baby, and why a promise between a 10 and a 12 year old would mean so much.

According to episode 1, Kanon's been employed as a servant for 3 years as of the current events. That makes sense. A 13 year old servant is reasonable. A 6 year old servant is not. This implies that Shannon's situation is unusual. Why would they employ her from 6 years old? It makes no sense. So, to elaborate on the dark theory that I mentioned about earlier.

Shannon is the cliff baby. We didn't think about this earlier because, obviously, the cliff baby is male. But that's never stated in red. The caller is a man, according to the narration. But Lambda's seen making the phone call, she clearly has a girlish voice. Maybe the narration's just a lie in the same way that the goats are. Natsuhi never once refers to it as anything other than "the baby". Even in the flashback it's never given a sex. If Shannon were the cliff baby, this makes multiple things make more sense. She's 19 instead of 16. When Shannon started as a servant, she'd therefore be 9 instead of 6. Still young, but not completely insanely so. It also means that Battler's promise would be to a 13 year old rather than a 10 year old, which might heighten the emotions somewhat. But still, if she were happy with her life, you'd probably not obsess over some throwaway promise a boy made to you 6 years ago. Why would she be unhappy? Beyond the fact that she's on Rokkenjima with a bunch of crazy people.

Well, to go back to our previous theories, what if Shannon were also Kinzo's and Beatrice II's child? Kinzo's a crazy obsessive and possibly a sexual abuser, depending on how deep the rabbit-hole goes. If this is right, Shannon's Kinzo's last possible attachment to Beatrice, how dark an end point you want to follow that conclusion to, I'll leave up to you. But if that's the case, Shannon's been trapped on an island with her possible abuser for 17 years, until his death. Battler's promise gave her hope of escape, but then he never came back, and then she was trapped with Kinzo for another 4 years... I think that explains the weight of the betrayal. Even if he could never have possibly had the power to do anything about it, being a child too.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CottonWolf posted:

Well, to go back to our previous theories, what if Shannon were also Kinzo's and Beatrice II's child? Kinzo's a crazy obsessive and possibly a sexual abuser, depending on how deep the rabbit-hole goes. If this is right, Shannon's Kinzo's last possible attachment to Beatrice, how dark an end point you want to follow that conclusion to, I'll leave up to you. But if that's the case, Shannon's been trapped on an island with her possible abuser for 17 years, until his death. Battler's promise gave her hope of escape, but then he never came back, and then she was trapped with Kinzo for another 4 years... I think that explains the weight of the betrayal. Even if he could never have possibly had the power to do anything about it, being a child too.

If cliff baby was a girl, why would Kinzo give her away to Natsushi rather than starting his Princess Maker project over again?

--

Episode three thoughts: George's profile says he sold his soul (exact words are "in exchange for his soul") for an 8-digit number, which we know is a PIN to a vault containing at least 2 billion yen total. What does sold his soul mean in the a completely non-magical serial murder scenario? The obvious is it means agreeing to cooperate with the murderer(s). We've already seen George say he's willing to throw away everyone else. So, George sneaks out the window and goes to the parlor where he meets a still living Sayo and not-Kanon/Beatrice. He agrees not to turn them in and play along in exchange for enough money for him and Sayo to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. At this point not-Kanon/Beatrice kills George and Sayo anyway or George agrees to abandon his family, his name, and any rights to Kinzo's estate in order to live out the rest of his life with the woman he loves.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

ProfessorProf posted:

Video added to LP: Goodbye

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZiegeDame posted:

Episode three thoughts: George's profile says he sold his soul (exact words are "in exchange for his soul") for an 8-digit number, which we know is a PIN to a vault containing at least 2 billion yen total. What does sold his soul mean in the a completely non-magical serial murder scenario? The obvious is it means agreeing to cooperate with the murderer(s). We've already seen George say he's willing to throw away everyone else. So, George sneaks out the window and goes to the parlor where he meets a still living Sayo and not-Kanon/Beatrice. He agrees not to turn them in and play along in exchange for enough money for him and Sayo to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. At this point not-Kanon/Beatrice kills George and Sayo anyway or George agrees to abandon his family, his name, and any rights to Kinzo's estate in order to live out the rest of his life with the woman he loves.

We've still not solved the meaning of that number yet, either. The first half's Battler's birthday, which might be a coincidence, but seems unlikely. But we still don't have a good candidate for the second half that I can think of.

ZiegeDame posted:

If cliff baby was a girl, why would Kinzo give her away to Natsushi rather than starting his Princess Maker project over again?

Lets him skip the effort of hiding her? Plus he'd need someone to raise her, and Beatrice II's dead.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CottonWolf posted:

We've still not solved the meaning of that number yet, either. The first half's Battler's birthday, which might be a coincidence, but seems unlikely. But we still don't have a good candidate for the second half that I can think of.

Lets him skip the effort of hiding her? Plus he'd need someone to raise her, and Beatrice II's dead.

Is the family conference always held on the first weekend in October? Could Battler have made his promise on November 29th? Could it be the day Rosa met Beatrice? Could Kanon have simply lied to Jessica about his birthday? Could it be the day modern-day Beatrice was 'born' as a delayed result of Battler's sin? Could it mean absolutely nothing at all?

CottonWolf posted:

Kumasawa and Genji aren't.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Truly, watching goons react to the end of Episode 5 is greater than the finest tea.

Aisu posted:

Fabulousvillain posted:

I was really hoping there would be a Sailor Moon transformation

Tender Child Loins posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat, hoping that at least some of my reasoning is on point and that Battler is gonna drop that knowledge with a vengeance. More importantly, why doesn't he get a cool costume change a la EVA? A cute dress? At least a staff or something, geez.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

tiistai posted:

Oh how I laughed

Well... he is kind of a bad detective, right?

Oh, well.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Me rn http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FQEOy4zEVFoU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ZiegeDame posted:

Is the family conference always held on the first weekend in October?
The conference takes place every year at the same time. Evidence: The very first update of Episode 1 has Rudolf and Eva talking about it always being in October.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Umineko has the best memes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CottonWolf posted:

Uh I though we had the number revealed back in episode 4. It's a bank code for a bunch of money.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh I though we had the number revealed back in episode 4. It's a bank code for a bunch of money.

Oh yeah. The stuff the survivors families got, right?

E: That doesn't rule out the number having significance too though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait. Huh. What was the truth Battler reached? How did thinking about without love it cannot be seen reveal everything to him suddenly? I don't understand how he applied that sentence to everything.

WHAT?!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

CottonWolf posted:

On the contrary, it might increase the chance of it having significance. People do that with important passwords all the time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Artificer posted:

Wait. Huh. What was the truth Battler reached? How did thinking about without love it cannot be seen reveal everything to him suddenly? I don't understand how he applied that sentence to everything.

WHAT?!
It wasn't a sudden reveal, it was more like Battler kept thinking about all the games until he got the truth. It doesn't need to necessarily be interpreted as being instantaneous.

As for the truth, obviously he realized witches are the culprit and became a witch at this discovery.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Artificer posted:

WHAT?!

Without 'love', the truth behind the game cannot be seen. Given how love has been defined in the conversation between Battler and Dlanor, it makes sense to solve the mystery off that.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The truth of this game is that Battler committed all the murders so that he could obtain enough magical power to banish pants from all the pretty girls who aren't directly related to him; the reason the reason Cornelia and Gertrude appeared in Battler's thoughts is because they're already part of his pantless furniture. Now that Lambdadelta has acknowledged him, not even the witches can stop this madman and his anti-pants crusade.

Incidentally, is the mystery that Battler's supposed to be able to solve really the murders? I can't help but think that the real mystery is about Beato herself, or maybe the family as a whole, since Beato herself doesn't know why the murders are going down in this iteration. If that really is the case, the murders probably don't follow all of Knox's rules, which might be something to keep in mind.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 22, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

thetruegentleman posted:

The truth of this game is that Battler committed all the murders so that he could obtain enough magical power to banish pants from all the pretty girls who aren't directly related to him; the reason the reason Cornelia and Gertrude appeared in Battler's thoughts is because they're already part of his pantless furniture. Now that Lambdadelta has acknowledged him, not even the witches can stop this madman and his anti-pants crusade.

We know that can't be it, because he wouldn't exclude his relatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CottonWolf posted:

Well the dead's families got the money. Only Eva survived after all.

• Locked thread