Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You can also get Plutocratic ideas which are pretty good as a republic. My main problem always were the size penalties, not sure how that even works in this patch tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

You can also get Plutocratic ideas which are pretty good as a republic. My main problem always were the size penalties, not sure how that even works in this patch tough.

Only merchant republics and free cities have size penalties; those have always been kind of restrictive

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Merchant republics also got a lot worse once estates came into play, since they don't have access to those.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So every time you play as a non-European, you have to play in the exact same way, take exploration, conquer the same provinces, and hope for good RNG on institution spawns. I dunno man, those are a lot of hoops to jump through just for tech parity, and doesn't sound very fun. The old westernization system was flawed but at least it didn't pigeonhole you so thoroughly or rely much on RNG. I think institutions with Common Sense enabled just make more sense and are a much simpler and more open ended way to interact with the system, but without common sense it's just frustrating.

You pretty much have to take exploration and conquer the same provinces with westernization too. And for that matter you don't have to with institutions, you can wait for them to naturally arrive to you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone at Paradox has a real grudge against republics. They've been getting worse and worse with every new feature added to the game. Every single penalty affects republics disproportionately strongly. Like, republican tradition is harder to get than legitimacy, yet there are quite a few penalties that have the same hit to both. I've seen some events that add a republican tradition hit without even having a legitimacy hit for monarchies. Then there's stuff like the nobles estate being disabled for republics, and this new low absolution cap. Being able to pick and grow your ruler isn't even especially good anymore now that disinheriting and abdicating are things. They really need to think about how to make republics more tantalizing because right now they just kinda suck.
I found this really funny. About a year ago Republics were far and away, without a doubt, better than Monarchies. I'm glad that the dominant government form of the era is better - it should be otherwise it would not have been the government form of so many powerful countries in the game's time span.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Regicide is a moral good and monarchies should blow.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I found this really funny. About a year ago Republics were far and away, without a doubt, better than Monarchies. I'm glad that the dominant government form of the era is better - it should be otherwise it would not have been the government form of so many powerful countries in the game's time span.

Eh, there's something to be said about institutional inertia and diplomacy. Republics tend to be diplomatically isolated, as they cannot form royal marriages and the like, and they take the government type malus on opinion for most nations. It makes sense for republics to be a strong form of government, but also one that doesn't play well with geopolitics in the early stages of the game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

<---- LOL no.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Regicide is a moral good and monarchies should blow.

my monarchies kill off princes by the dozen

it's really a highly meritocratic system

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sorry newborn baby, but your martial ability is severely lacking. Off to the chopping block.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

Sorry newborn baby, but your martial ability is severely lacking. Off to the chopping block.

And once again, the thread provides me with new canon-in-my-head material. Thanks!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This is a weird post and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take from it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

My life has been a rollercoaster recently so my posting has been particularly bad, so I wouldnt think about it too much.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Really though, Paradox has shied away from letting history influence balance beyond the broadest of strokes, like France and Ottomans being very strong. From a game mechanics standpoint, they use history for flavor, but they don't use history as the basis for their design and balance. So by their own design philosophies, republics being less dominant than monarchies in the EU4 timeframe isn't a good reason to make republics substantially weaker.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Eej posted:

It's amazing the people pretending that the "Republics seem a bit too gamey and good, Monarchies were the dominant form of government at the time" sentiment did not exist for years on all the various Paradox forums and on these very forums as well.

I find it odd that you missed it. Do you have any idea how you could miss something so prevalent and widely discussed?

[edit]Oh, I guess people do understand what he's talking about, they just wanted to act dumb :confused:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I actually looked for this, but you cant get it anymore

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Really though, Paradox has shied away from letting history influence balance beyond the broadest of strokes, like France and Ottomans being very strong. From a game mechanics standpoint, they use history for flavor, but they don't use history as the basis for their design and balance. So by their own design philosophies, republics being less dominant than monarchies in the EU4 timeframe isn't a good reason to make republics substantially weaker.

Yeah, exactly this:

Dirk the Average posted:

Eh, there's something to be said about institutional inertia and diplomacy. Republics tend to be diplomatically isolated, as they cannot form royal marriages and the like, and they take the government type malus on opinion for most nations. It makes sense for republics to be a strong form of government, but also one that doesn't play well with geopolitics in the early stages of the game.

Novgorod starts out incredibly isolated with a neighbor that has a mission to destroy them from day 1. The Golden Ambrosian Republic, if it even triggers, gives others a Restore the Monarchy CB. There's no need to weaken them further because it means that the map might not be painted with the genes of inbred aristocrats in every game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Switzerland starts with an advanced form of republic (administrative republic), that has to count for something!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Bit of an embarrassing question: One of my colonies has gotten into a defensive colonial war and I just realized that I have no idea how to come to their defense!

To I Enforce Peace or is there some other option? Is there any way I can bring my allies in to help me and my colony?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr. Fowl posted:

Bit of an embarrassing question: One of my colonies has gotten into a defensive colonial war and I just realized that I have no idea how to come to their defense!

To I Enforce Peace or is there some other option? Is there any way I can bring my allies in to help me and my colony?

I think it's bugged right now, normally you'd be automatically called in but it's not working like that :(

Try to enforce peace, the enemy will probably refuse so you can enter the war, but no calling your allies into this I am afraid (or at least I didn't figure out how)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I want to do an Ethiopiarabia game, what's the earliest you can feasibly beat the Mamluks? Rushing mil tech 6 and beating them with superior troops?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The easiest is "whenever the ottomans start beating them up for the first time".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah but that might take a while and I want to avoid stating most territory outside of Egypt to make it easier to culture shift.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
We have a MP game starting tonight. Head over to PGS to join us. We're a welcoming bunch.

(In about 7 hours from this post)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish Frankfurt was easier to click on.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:raise:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

france: belligerent drunk with a knife
austria: h-hey now we're all friends here

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TorakFade posted:

I think it's bugged right now, normally you'd be automatically called in but it's not working like that :(

Try to enforce peace, the enemy will probably refuse so you can enter the war, but no calling your allies into this I am afraid (or at least I didn't figure out how)

Wow, this is really bugged as gently caress--I can only call in allies on one of the wars my colony got into (The computer seems to have decided it's the one with the mesoamerican minor and ONLY after the war with the major power ends). But not the nasty one. Not even a grayed out option. But the aggressors sure as gently caress can. And on top of that, because I have to come in by imposing peace, my colony gets to decide when the war ends and they fold when are at like -30% warscore.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
CATHOLIC belligerent drunk with a knife!

Just let it go to confession next sunday and it'll all be jake. Unlike those filthy protestants!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

You could probably do something similar to the 1.19 Byzantium strategy, unless they broke that in 1.20, which I doubt. Basically reroll games until Albania and Hungary ally, then after the Ottomans declare on Albania (which they should do in the first few years, if not then reroll), ally them and they should call you in. Then you + Albania + Hungary can beat up on the Ottomans.

You'd probably have to be very aggressive to get enough land to separate peace your way out though- as Byzantium you can rely on Albania returning cores to you in the peace treaty, but you don't have any for that as Wallachia. Still it's probably doable.

I think they changed things so Hungary never guarantees or allies Albania anymore. Makes things way more difficult.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

On a similar note, Tabarestan start is back to being awful because unless I've been unlucky QQ is always domineering now so you can't conquer around the Caspian without beating them in a war.

The AI changes seem to have made a lot of difficult starts more difficult.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well in my Byzantium game today it wasn't hard to ally with Aragon and Hungary. Serbians offered free condottiere to the Hungarians when I declared war. All told we have 75k to their 27k, so this isn't really as hard as I was expecting. I say, before the first battle of the war even happens and will inevitably prove me wrong.

edit: I just rolled a six shock general. loving goodnight Ottomans.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 23, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ming status: still unbeatable

even with similar forcelimit, they have so many forts that you can't concentrate your forces easily, while they can and will. I am beelining for the capital and parking a huge stack there, then using my other megastacks (at this point me vs ming is something like 500k vs 500k people, it's terrifying) to defeat their smaller stacks and grabbing a fort here and there while they occupy my siberian poo poo

of course attrition doesn't mean that much to them, they're fielding 250 mercs. And they don't even disband them in between wars! according to the ledger I have a very slightly higher total income than them, but I still can't understand how they can run so many level 6-8 forts, 250 mercs, full army maintenance. Ok they have economic ideas and their trade position is much better than Japan's of course, but that's just insane, with similar numbers I have a net income around 30-50 ducats/month... and that's without mercs and with way less forts. Is it still true that the AI doesn't pay for forts? That would explain it.

Anyway the game is almost done, there's only 10 years left and I got most of the achievements I was looking for (plus a random one - hello Live Long and Prosper). I guess I could try cleaning up the bordergore in Manchuria... Have a look, this is one of the silliest end states I've seen - not sure if you can see it well but Milan is a kinda big power in Europe having all of northern Italy, Austria got its rear end kicked hard (they still have a snake up to the netherlands but they lost most of their starting land...), props to Russia for coming back from almost-death, and to Portugal and Lithuania (Poland failed at Commonwealth early on, before I could even see them) for getting incredibly swole, and to me for basically being Russia and Indonesia. Oh the Ottomans and Lithuania are my allies, but they never want to go to war alongside me because they're perpetually stuck in their own hellwars.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 23, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: /\/\/\/\ thank you for sharing screenshots, that game of yours continues to mystify me. I need to play more games to later dates.

If I am at max Manpower in my reserve, will continuing to run the "Promote Military Recruitment" edict help push my max manpower up? The line between Manpower and Manpower recovery is a blurry one that always confuses me...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 23, 2017

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

TorakFade posted:

Ming status: still unbeatable

even with similar forcelimit, they have so many forts that you can't concentrate your forces easily, while they can and will. I am beelining for the capital and parking a huge stack there, then using my other megastacks (at this point me vs ming is something like 500k vs 500k people, it's terrifying) to defeat their smaller stacks and grabbing a fort here and there while they occupy my siberian poo poo

of course attrition doesn't mean that much to them, they're fielding 250 mercs. And they don't even disband them in between wars! I have a higher total income than them, but I still can't understand how they can run so many level 6-8 forts, 250 mercs, full army maintenance. Ok they have economic ideas and their trade position is much better than Japan's of course, but that's just insane, with similar numbers I have a net income around 30-50 ducats/month... and that's without mercs and with way less forts.

It's pretty important to eat enough tributaries that you're fighting Ming at 0 mandate. It makes a big difference, and while you're a tributary yourself there's no risk to it since Ming's not that aggressive.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Redmark posted:

It's pretty important to eat enough tributaries that you're fighting Ming at 0 mandate. It makes a big difference, and while you're a tributary yourself there's no risk to it since Ming's not that aggressive.

Yeah I started doing that after a certain point (around 1650-1700 I think) but it was boring, they had EVERYONE as a tributary and it took multiple wars to eat one fully. I managed to got them to 60 mandate or so, surely I should've done better but that would've required planning and experience I didn't really have this time around :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

edit: /\/\/\/\ thank you for sharing screenshots, that game of yours continues to mystify me. I need to play more games to later dates.

If I am at max Manpower in my reserve, will continuing to run the "Promote Military Recruitment" edict help push my max manpower up? The line between Manpower and Manpower recovery is a blurry one that always confuses me...

Yes. Max manpower is the sum of all the manpower from your provinces. Manpower recovery is 1/120 of your max per month, multiplied by any bonuses.

Although if you're just sitting at max manpower you should consider going to war.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well in my Byzantium game today it wasn't hard to ally with Aragon and Hungary. Serbians offered free condottiere to the Hungarians when I declared war. All told we have 75k to their 27k, so this isn't really as hard as I was expecting. I say, before the first battle of the war even happens and will inevitably prove me wrong.

edit: I just rolled a six shock general. loving goodnight Ottomans.

Update: Aragon was predictably slow to enter the fray, but the six shock general won some early battles for me. Once we took the Balkans, Mamluks declared war on the Ottomans as well. Not long after, Venice jumped in on the feeding frenzy. RIP Ottomans.

Seems like in 1.20 you'll want to ignore the Albanian Gambit and shoot for an alliance with at least Hungary. Basically, go to your land and naval forcelimits, go a bit over on naval if you have to, and hire a diplomatic reputation advisor. The Ottomans tend to give you time to get your relations to +100 via improvement, allowing you to ally Hungary and Aragon as long as you do the other stuff. Promise them land in the war and they'll both be happy to join, although once war started it didn't seem like Aragon actually wanted anything, not even the province they had marked as vital interest.

This was way easier than I expected, and it actually seemed easier than it was in 1.19. As for the guy who wanted to play as Wallachia, that poo poo is gonna be hard. You start with a smaller army and smaller forcelimits, making you a less appealing target for alliance with the bigger countries, so I'm not sure if you can go with that method. And the Albanian method is now nullified, so Wallachia seems like they're in a super difficult spot.

edit: bonus screenshot:

The Turks are done for. Subsequent wars should be easy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 23, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes. Max manpower is the sum of all the manpower from your provinces. Manpower recovery is 1/120 of your max per month, multiplied by any bonuses.

Although if you're just sitting at max manpower you should consider going to war.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm the Ottomans (just getting around to trying out this patch's changes and the Ottomans are my go-to for that). It is 1500 and I am rolling along really well, but I accidentally got off of my truce-timers and now I have Lithuania, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, Naples, Venice, Mamluks, and some others in the coalition against me. Spending some time at peace let me hit max manpower, but now I am picking at some weaker powers around the fringes. My Aggressive Expansion with the majority of those listed above is now under 20, but they still havent left the coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

It should be noted that manpower recovery is, I believe, 1/120 of your max before any modifiers. So for example, taking Levée en Masse will not increase your recovery.

• Locked thread