Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Venuz Patrol posted:

while Perils of an Unregulated Capitalist Market Simulator can be fun in its own right, there is a whole game that some people might want to focus on instead

I manage to spend minimal time on trading so I can focus on the actual game. Because I'm not trying to find my own gear. I need something, I buy it, I go back to playing. I find something good, I stick it in a public tab, go back to playing. I highly recommend this apparently obscure strategy to new players!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
The game's drop rates are built with the assumption that you're trading. Avoiding it isn't much different than ignoring ascendancy points or quest rewards and complaining that you feel like something is missing. Also the currency system is about as good as any game has ever done for an economy which is kinda cool in its own right.

There's no good excuse for dodging trades unless you're so socially avoidant that the idea of sending text messages in an anonymous fantasy video game is overwhelming to you. You can figure out poe.trade in less time than it takes to read the intro to a build guide, and for everything but high end items there's generally 0 haggling involved.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, if you WANT to avoid trading, might as well toggle that SSF button and enjoy having a high rank in a ladder.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is there a easy-to-consult chart that keeps currency values up to date (e.g. Chaos/Fusing exchange rate), or do I just have to search for Chaos Orbs on poe.trade and see how much people expect in return

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
poeninja

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

whydirt posted:

poeninja

good poo poo, thanks

e: I'm dumb

e2: geez if I had realized 40 portal scrolls were worth a chaos I would have spent a couple of extra seconds picking them up

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 21, 2017

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

The Wonder Weapon posted:

good poo poo, thanks

e: I'm dumb

e2: geez if I had realized 40 portal scrolls were worth a chaos I would have spent a couple of extra seconds picking them up

Don't do that.

If you spend time picking up junk that's less maps and zones you can run, which means your chance of dropping high value items / minute goes down a ton. The more monsters you kill in the same period of time, the more often the RNG wheel spins. Don't pick up low value items with a goal of trading them

1 transmutation = 4 wisdom scrolls at the vendor, so you can save yourself a bunch of extra clicking by just picking up those only.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

Don't do that.

If you spend time picking up junk that's less maps and zones you can run, which means your chance of dropping high value items / minute goes down a ton. The more monsters you kill in the same period of time, the more often the RNG wheel spins. Don't pick up low value items with a goal of trading them

1 transmutation = 4 wisdom scrolls at the vendor, so you can save yourself a bunch of extra clicking by just picking up those only.

I get that, but when I'm working through story mode for the first time and stopping to pick up rares to sell anyways, it wouldn't be a stretch to grab a portal scroll in the same pile. Once I'm up and running on maps, etc. then I'll of course not bother.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

interrodactyl posted:

Don't do that.

Normally I agree with this but this really depends on your play style being completely focused on efficiency and timing, which means you have to have a good filter that you're immediately able to determine what drops you should pick up or scan which means a bit of knowledge on the filter itself, then know what items are worth scanning over and maybe picking up and maybe not, and already playing this way to begin with. For people who play with a more methodical style to begin with and spend time picking up poo poo they "shouldn't" already, adding some more things to pick up that make that play style more economic can actually be good.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The "only pick up valuable things" strategy only works if you're going as fast as you can at all times and spend as little time as possible in your hideout. If you're not playing like a bot you can afford to pick up smaller items, because you're already going pretty slow when it comes to pure currency drops.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Last night in chat I was asking about items that have accuracy rating on them. Then as I layed in bed a question came to me. For a HOWA build, is it better to have 90%+ accuracy or max resistance? My HOWA is at 82% accuracy right now and max res, with about 10-15% extra in each res. Should I be trading out a gear item for accuracy and loosing on res, keep what I have on and farm, or picking up an accuracy node?

Profile for reference.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Fixit posted:

Last night in chat I was asking about items that have accuracy rating on them. Then as I layed in bed a question came to me. For a HOWA build, is it better to have 90%+ accuracy or max resistance? My HOWA is at 82% accuracy right now and max res, with about 10-15% extra in each res. Should I be trading out a gear item for accuracy and loosing on res, keep what I have on and farm, or picking up an accuracy node?

Profile for reference.

You should get shaper gloves and never worry about accuracy again.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You should get shaper gloves and never worry about accuracy again.

That was suggestion last night. Where do I make up the missing res though?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

FWIW the more people that don't pick up small items the more worthwhile it gets to pick them up. 40:1 rate on portals is a pretty insane rate and you can really see the effect of people using more restrictive loot filters in the economy this league. Jewelers are worth LESS than alterations and chroms because Neversink's strict filters hide chromatic items and people don't pick up rares any more, but everyone still picks up 6 sockets.

Fixit posted:

That was suggestion last night. Where do I make up the missing res though?

Every item you're wearing could easily have better resists on them. Or you could buy some double resist roll jewels and use those temporarily.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 21, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I play SSF, and I'm doing fine with gear :shrug:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I avoided trading at first because I was thinking in terms of spamming a trade chat, going to town in someone's D2 game, and dropping poo poo on the ground or whatever. I've always had lovely experiences with it, and avoiding scams becomes the real game. Then I dinged 51 and needed a Terminus Est, and my buddy showed me how trading works in PoE. Holy poo poo is it smooth.

Seriously, if you're someone who's "too lazy to trade", you're probably thinking of trading in a different game. It's super chill.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
nah they're used to trading using auction house style interfaces

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

please knock Mom! posted:

nah they're used to trading using auction house style interfaces

Eh, both of those, really. :v:

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Fixit posted:

For a HOWA build, is it better to have 90%+ accuracy or max resistance?

Profile for reference.

For any build, having capped res is non negotiable. It's not something you can trade off against other stats. So your starting point has to be items that keep your resistances capped and start looking for accuracy from there. You can also take a jewel node and get a jewel with a big whack of resistances on it to cover you, although for HOWA there's only a couple jewel nodes available that you don't want to put Fertile Mind or Brute Force Solution into.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
SSF owns!!! I made it to a guardian today (chimera) and killed him, then got 3 more maps and killed him 3 more times. ANd he dropped a claw for me. Nice guy.

I'll prob play ssf from the start of every league from now on

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HoWA's damage is already massive overkill for nearly everything in the game, so don't worry too too much if you have to give a bit of it up for max res.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The Shortest Path posted:

HoWA's damage is already massive overkill for nearly everything in the game, so don't worry too too much if you have to give a bit of it up for max res.

Speaking of HoWA, someone sell me some howa gear!!

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Erz posted:

SSF owns!!! I made it to a guardian today (chimera) and killed him, then got 3 more maps and killed him 3 more times. ANd he dropped a claw for me. Nice guy.

I'll prob play ssf from the start of every league from now on

Chimera is the hardest of the guardians for most builds, so you can probably take the others as well. What build are you running? Even running high quant/pack maps I've never self-found a single guardian map let alone three in one day so either your luck is really good or mine is poo poo.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Picked up a headhunter on my starforge cyclone raider.
Wondering how I can best use this thing?

Was thinking of making a new character that could make better use of it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Chimera is the hardest of the guardians for most builds, so you can probably take the others as well. What build are you running? Even running high quant/pack maps I've never self-found a single guardian map let alone three in one day so either your luck is really good or mine is poo poo.

I don't think I've even gotten a map drop above 13 on ssf yet, so yeah

Half the time I'm stuck dropping back to like 8s or 9s again.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Anyone have opinions on Vaal Fireball? Specifically elementalist vs inquisitor?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Do people in softcore usually build around 135% elemental res or do you go for 169% in case something casts ele weakness on you?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

LeninVS posted:

headhunter doesnt make or break any builds, it just steroids every char to ridiculousness

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Do people in softcore usually build around 135% elemental res or do you go for 169% in case something casts ele weakness on you?

169% gives you amazing freedom in rolling map mods.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Firestorm Zerker. And yeah its the best luck I've ever had with guardian map drops too.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

LeninVS posted:

How do you save up 80 ex for 1 item and not know what to do with it? If you want to brag just post a picture or something.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I suggest equipping it to your belt slot

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

whydirt posted:

I suggest equipping it to your belt slot

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Just vendor it tbh, that's the new cool thing cool people do.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
people get really confused about an item that literally could not more obviously be a direct upgrade over any other belt option in the game

J
Jun 10, 2001

LeninVS posted:

Basically the faster you clear the better headhunter becomes, but it is great on any build. A cyclone raider is pretty drat fast as is so you could use it fine on that build. If you really want to go faster than that then you'd want to look into vaal fireball or spark.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

169% gives you amazing freedom in rolling map mods.

I like just capping around 140ish and using Purity of Elements instead of a damage aura on ele weakness maps.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Speaking of HoWA, someone sell me some howa gear!!

I got two great jewels for HOWA lying around. Msg me in game as Opioid_Academic.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So a few days ago I was making my Magma Orb build and I bought a random pair of gloves with high-ish ES that were probably cheap because someone had overwritten the spelldamage implicit with a lovely enchant, which I didn't care about because the high ES on a budget (think they were like 25c) was more important. I decided to upgrade my helm today which got me more res, and was trying to figure out what other item to change out for more ES/damage, and I ended up looking at my gloves who no longer needed their crafted resist.

Anyway, I searched poe-trade for 200ES, phys damage, AS and a T1 resist and there's...none. If I go down to 180ES, there's two at 2Ex total, one with the same single T1 and one with no open suffix and double res totalling 56%. Both around 180ES, one is 8-10% AS tier the other is 11-13%, so basically right around crafted tier. Any idea of how much I could try to get from this sweet thing with an open suffix and 30 more ES than either of those after I craft some AS%? I got a 12% on my AS% craft but forgot to screen it after.

Besides that I burned another 450 Fusings on my long and winding road towards my first ever 6L, I may be 4.5k in now since I started PoE but I'm sure the promised land is near.

E: there's a 2ex one with ~same ES and same AS but only T3 phys damage and only crafted res, with Dex filling the last affix, seems worse too right?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I finally pulled the trigger and spent 1500 fusing to 6L my Terminus Est and my EDPS is about 1mil. I also installed Path of Building.

How much of this rabbit hole is left? Will the poison ever leave my body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

lol, you vorici 6ld something

• Locked thread