Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gently caress you anet give me back my sab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

where the red fern gropes posted:

hammer guardian is basic but i wouldn't call it fun, mostly because the attacks are very slow

i play a revenant which is just as basic but attacks faster and also has tons of crits and a piercing ranged weapon

Leveling revenant using Shiro was great. It was like a thief but in heavy armor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

Unfortunately you can't main turrets. The one you'll use regularly is the heal turret (it's the engineer's best heal and frankly one of the best heals on any class) but your focus will be on kits, having a lot of skills to press, and carpal tunnel

Scrapper was such a relief for engy, an awesome spec without repetitive strain disorder.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Edmond Dantes posted:

So speaking of skill presses, what's the most straightforward class (while fun) to play? I tried making an Elementalist and holy poo poo switching between the 4 alignments while juggling cooldowns was not fun. I just want to make things dead.

Someone mentioned staff daredevil a couple pages back? Is it actually fun?

Personally, having started on an Elementalist and leveled to 80 on it, I have the opposite problem: When I try and pick up the other classes, there just isn't enough going on and they feel boring to me. When I want brain-dead, make-numbers-appear-on-the-screen play, I'll go to a warrior or ranger for a bit before coming back, but Guardian puts me to sleep.

This isn't a jab at people who play and like those classes, FYI. It's cool that the game can support people who like varying amounts of concentration and focus.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Scrapper was such a relief for engy, an awesome spec without repetitive strain disorder.

I'm excited to unlock it, there is just way too much poo poo to do with Engi and I feel overwhelmed at times playing it. I did just learn about combos though so that's been fun to experiment with.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm excited to unlock it, there is just way too much poo poo to do with Engi and I feel overwhelmed at times playing it. I did just learn about combos though so that's been fun to experiment with.

Combos are something I tend to forget about unless I'm on my ele, I should pay more attention!

Sair
May 11, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Scrapper: bring some friends and hit things with your hammer.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

cage-free egghead posted:

Do what I did for leveling engie the first time: make it a static discharge rifle build. Use a rifle, slot the static discharge trait, and use tool kit, rifle turret, and personal battering ram for your utilities (these all have low CD targeted toolbelt skills, which is what you want for SD rifle. Then basically mash your toolbelt skills as much as possible and watch stuff melt in PvE. Is it in any way dps optimal? Hell no. Is it way more fun than condi pistol/kits? Hell yes. The only time you even need to swap kits is for melee damage or the shield in tool kit.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm the idiot to uses Flamethrower, Elixir Gun, Mortar on my Scrapper.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only repetitive strain disorder you can tolerate is dorito chip lifts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

The only repetitive strain disorder you can tolerate is dorito chip lifts.

fight me 1v1

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I'm the idiot to uses Flamethrower, Elixir Gun, Mortar on my Scrapper.

I don't know how your build is currently set up but all of those are perfectly good and valid choices depending on what you're doing

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I ended up playing engineer and he's super fun.

Is pistol and shield a viable choice for end game because it rules at lvl 20

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I was looking at http://www.gw2craftgold.com/ and noticed that plates of Firey Flank Steak turn out a 1 silver profit per Plate crafted, there are also over 500 buy orders for which this is profitable. Is there any reason I can't just start cranking out Plates of Firey Flank Steak and start wracking in the gold? There's a demand of 11k so as long as prices stay above what's profitable, I could just start making a ton of money right? I'd have to sell like... 4k to make back the price of the recipe though, so I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about gold making outside of fractals.

Aug 24, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

So I was looking at http://www.gw2craftgold.com/ and noticed that plates of Firey Flank Steak turn out a 1 silver profit per Plate crafted, there are also over 500 buy orders for which this is profitable. Is there any reason I can't just start cranking out Plates of Firey Flank Steak and start wracking in the gold? There's a demand of 11k so as long as prices stay above what's profitable, I could just start making a ton of money right? I'd have to sell like... 4k to make back the price of the recipe though, so I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about gold making outside of fractals.

did you account for 5% listing fee and 10% sell fee

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Pistol yes, shield no, replace your shield with another pistol and set poo poo on fire

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

where the red fern gropes posted:

did you account for 5% listing fee and 10% sell fee

Yeah the site does all that automagically.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Shield is viable in PvP however.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

arus be careful i think a parallel universe you is here and as we all know from the 2001 documentary "The One" parallel universe selves are bad news

RottenK fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm kinda half trying to get back into this and I was looking up stuff on stats and builds and poo poo and it was all kinda dry and boring so I'll just ask here: these days, if I want sceptre/torch//greatsword on my guardian do i want berserkers or viper/sinister? I know for a while zerker was just the best across the board then condi got reasonably solid.

anyways getting caladbolg fuckin' owns, I got trophies from both of my wyld hunts now.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm kinda half trying to get back into this and I was looking up stuff on stats and builds and poo poo and it was all kinda dry and boring so I'll just ask here: these days, if I want sceptre/torch//greatsword on my guardian do i want berserkers or viper/sinister? I know for a while zerker was just the best across the board then condi got reasonably solid.

anyways getting caladbolg fuckin' owns, I got trophies from both of my wyld hunts now.

Meta is still zerker for guardians in PvE.

Metabattle.com and qtfy.eu are updated at a pretty reasonable pace nowadays.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

well dang

before i burned out making mawdrey i'd managed to collect a decent few asc condi equips. Oh well, c'est la vie.

if I use the caladbolg sceptre skin and the caladbolg gs skin are there any particularly coordinated torches? if shield wasn't kinda disappointing I'd rock the shield of the moon skin and just the sylvariest sylvari.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
There are some condi builds for guards in wvw floatin aboot but theyre still one of the few classes without a solid condi pve setup.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trebuchet King posted:

well dang

before i burned out making mawdrey i'd managed to collect a decent few asc condi equips. Oh well, c'est la vie.

if I use the caladbolg sceptre skin and the caladbolg gs skin are there any particularly coordinated torches? if shield wasn't kinda disappointing I'd rock the shield of the moon skin and just the sylvariest sylvari.

My main Guard (because I have a sickness and one wasn't enough) is a Condi build and it rules.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Visidan posted:

There are some condi builds for guards in wvw floatin aboot but theyre still one of the few classes without a solid condi pve setup.

Condi burn guards can absolutely dominate people in PvP as well, it's just good people tend to know how to deal with them and shut them down pretty hard.

Burn guards are fun, though. In WvW, my friend and I destroyed a roaming guild group of around 10 idiots because they couldn't figure out how to stop attacking into blocks. In PvP, I've had 3-4 people down themselves in seconds bursting on a Shield of Courage and then flailing around with no condi clear.

For PvE, they're not ideal, but you can still poop out damage, and unless you're doing raids or t4 fractals, no one's going to give a poo poo that your condition damage isn't ~~~optimal~~~

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Inzombiac posted:

My main Guard (because I have a sickness and one wasn't enough) is a Condi build and it rules.

are you scepter/torch or something else?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Here's the condi guardian build video from a raiding perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEd8W86Yp-0

You def want Scepter/Torch and all the Viper gear you can find.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Redownloaded this again to maybe try it out with goons, find out the server is full and I can't transfer there :(

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Join any US server and you can be in the guild(s) just fine. You just won't be able to do WvW with Maguuma goons. I've never done WvW, but I gather that you won't be missing much.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
I popped in to MBL earlier for a quick daily, and someone was having a meltdown in mapchat about how no-one was on because Maguuma was full of ~fairweathers~* . When I say "earlier", I mean it was 11.30am my time, aka 6.30am EST.

Also, nothing to do with any of that, I got a The Bard form The Mystic Hole o' Chucking Stuff In a while back and would quite like to upgrade it to full ledge status, but I don't use a focus on any of my characters. Metabattle has a few guardian focus specs, and like one each for ele and necro; any recommendations for fun times in Tyria with a lyre?

Aug 24, 2011

the true ultimate endgame

being a gigantic loving eyesore

i'm a cyberbully

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there current crafting guides? The couple I found on google were from around release and I imagine a bit has changed in the last four years.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Burn guards remain my bane in wvw.
There is a hybrid build out there that involves torch. I just remember getting hit with massive crit zealot fires followed by insta-melt burn stacks.
Was a few months ago, I don't follow guardian patch changes, but that build is cool.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there current crafting guides? The couple I found on google were from around release and I imagine a bit has changed in the last four years.

http://gw2crafts.net/

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hey dudes. I stopped playing a little bit after Heart of Thorns launch because the game felt ironically empty. I was piloting this incredibly unique class (chronomancer), with a cool-rear end glider, through a world with absolutely nothing to do. Everything was locked behind grind walls, even upgrading my drat glider to explore more, and the community was pure frustrated toxicity. A lot of people at the time we're looking forward to raids as something that would somehow fix all that by existing, but I didn't see it.

What's the state of the game now? Has Anet managed to fill in that empty grind feeling with something Good and Fun™?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 22, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

What's the state of the game now? Has Anet managed to fill in that empty grind feeling with something Good and Fun™?

It took about 9 months, but yes, it's much improved now to the point that it should have started out as.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

AnacondaHL posted:

It took about 9 months, but yes, it's much improved now to the point that it should have started out as.

That's heartening. Is there a good write-up anywhere of what's changed, that I can check out?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

That's heartening. Is there a good write-up anywhere of what's changed, that I can check out?

Dunno about writeups, but as someone who saw how miserable the launch was, if you're looking for a review of how HoT evolved and don't mind a handfulshitton of videos and don't hate WoodenPotatoes, said person is releasing a multipart HoT review right now.

Overview
https://youtu.be/Gke94aQzwIw
The Content Drought(s)
https://youtu.be/TeS8hNArVzU
Living Story Season 3
https://youtu.be/YwHxayDyhfs
Masteries
https://youtu.be/re-1tJxD1lA
Elite Specs
https://youtu.be/XxO3GSvuRTg

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Why do people still willingly watch WoodenPotatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Doombox needs to make more videos.

• Locked thread