Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

It's so loving boring. The plots get increasing crazier, but the presentation of the content is so unexciting. I turned it off in the middle of the episode in season 2 where they figure out they are in an alternate universe and they need to go steal the teleporter drive from the evil versions of themselves, and yet it's the most rote, deadpan "okay we should go this now [end scene]" event in television

If you can't make poo poo like that exciting or dramatic, don't even bother making a television show.

Yeah, its a mostly poo poo show. But it moved really fast so I never really had a chance during my casual binge of it on Netflix to stop and say "ok, I'm done."

But like, that's totally different from me actually taking the time to set my DVR to record it, use up DVR space for it, and then go out of my way to watch it. I don't think that's happening at all. But I might check it out when its back on Netflix to see what the android is up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Leftovers still rules and is, in fact, great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Watching the new Bill Nye netflix show, its pretty good, though I wish it was more like the original series; thankfully I can watch that series also on Netflix.

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
Edit: Found dat.

ntrepid fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 22, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Oh no. Oh dear. :ohdear:

GreenNight posted:

Also Dark Matter of all shows is getting an aftershow called After Dark hosted by, that's right, not Chris Hardwick! Zoie Palmer (android) will be hosting.

bring back old gbs posted:

I like the show, but that is just bizarre.

I don't know if I like the show as much as I'm occasionally entertained by it and hope it starts to pay off better on the concept, but yeah this is loving weird.

I really don't get how they keep failing to capitalize on the "group of career criminals and baddest people in the universe (with comic relief mixed in), in one of the baddest ships in the galaxy, declare war on everyone (well, the corporations anyway)." I mean it's starting to get there, but it's been slow as hell and they'll probably slow it down again.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well I finally got around to finishing Big Little Lies and man, that was a drat good show. Kind of hope there isn't a second season though. As good as it was I feel like it works best as a self-contained story.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's talk that the same cast and creative team might get together and make another series along the same themes, but I agree that it was perfect as a single series.

The director is also making a show out of Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects (she wrote Gone Girl) with Amy Adams starring that I'm very excited about. Sharp Objects is a super messed up book and I bet it's going to be even freakier on screen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LadyPictureShow posted:

Finally caught the fifth Hap and Leonard episode. While the investigation part was funny, the reveal of the murderer was just super :smith:. Jesus, I teared up over TJ. 'Where'd his face go?'

I said it before, lots of tv doesn't surprise me or affect me emotionally but at least once an episode I am left stunned or moved and it sucks it's on Sundance cause I feel like it's the greatest show nobody's watching.

Hap and Leonard is one of the best shows on TV, and shame on people for not watching.

"Was Randolph Scott gay?"
"Is that why you called me to come over?"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Davros1 posted:

Hap and Leonard is one of the best shows on TV, and shame on people for not watching.

"Was Randolph Scott gay?"
"Is that why you called me to come over?"

High five, only other Hap and Leonard watcher in existence! Let's be friends.

While the finale was a little more sedate,I like that it finally answered the overarching mystery that kicked off the season. And it's cool that both seasons have ended with a lingering shot hinting at the plot/mystery/setting for the following season (please tell me this is getting a season 3).

And if you like this series, check out Cold In July on Netflix; it's a movie based on another Landsdale work directed by Mickle and Damici.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bought a digital antenna a few years back, didn't use it because ABC was the only network it picked up outside of small regional TV stations. Kinda forgot about it until I moved my TV recently. So I popped it on last weekend, and holy poo poo. It was like time traveling.

Saturday night regional TV is the greatest gift. A horror host was showing the Hammer werewolf movie with dumb spooky comedy bits in between, Carson was interviewing a stunt man, then Robert Mitchum came on to shill The Big Sleep. Twilight Zone and Bewitched and Batman '66 were on, as were old cowboy TV shows on a channel called "Grit" and a bunch of 60s sitcoms on "Laff". Even the commercials were novel, all regional and aimed at the elderly.

Pretty sure I'm staying in and watching every Saturday night from here on out. I'm just hoping it turns to infomercials after 3.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

feedmyleg posted:

Bought a digital antenna a few years back, didn't use it because ABC was the only network it picked up outside of small regional TV stations. Kinda forgot about it until I moved my TV recently. So I popped it on last weekend, and holy poo poo. It was like time traveling.

Saturday night regional TV is the greatest gift. A horror host was showing the Hammer werewolf movie with dumb spooky comedy bits in between, Carson was interviewing a stunt man, then Robert Mitchum came on to shill The Big Sleep. Twilight Zone and Bewitched and Batman '66 were on, as were old cowboy TV shows on a channel called "Grit" and a bunch of 60s sitcoms on "Laff". Even the commercials were novel, all regional and aimed at the elderly.

Pretty sure I'm staying in and watching every Saturday night from here on out. I'm just hoping it turns to infomercials after 3.

Was that host Svengoolie? Top hat, greasepaint makeup, rubber chickens? I love watching him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

It's not a real classic station if it doesn't show some 50 year old war documentary, followed by the national anthem over a waving flag and signing off.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Can we talk for a moment about the hilarity/stupidity of the cast and creators of The Handmaid's Tale trying to downplay the fact that it's feminist? Elizabeth Moss saying "it's not a feminist story, it's a human story" and things of that nature.

Like, imagine the star of some future Animal Farm adaptation talking about how it's not really an anti-Stalinism story, it's a pig story.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bruceski posted:

Was that host Svengoolie? Top hat, greasepaint makeup, rubber chickens? I love watching him.

God yes. I am so happy that he's still there carrying the torch of the worst jokes and greenscreen gags possible as bumpers between commercial breaks, Saturday night creature features just aren't the same without them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Can we talk for a moment about the hilarity/stupidity of the cast and creators of The Handmaid's Tale trying to downplay the fact that it's feminist? Elizabeth Moss saying "it's not a feminist story, it's a human story" and things of that nature.

Like, imagine the star of some future Animal Farm adaptation talking about how it's not really an anti-Stalinism story, it's a pig story.

To be fair to the cast (and probably the writers too) I suspect the reason they're saying this utter load of codswallop is at Hulu's / Sony's / some moneybag's behest, rather than because they actually believe it. To a large portion of their potential audiences, feminist is a noncommercial word.

Of course the entire thing is feminist. It's Margaret freaking Atwood. But they don't want to risk puncturing some precious MRA's thin thin skin and risk losing some marginal portion of their client base -- like what happened with Netflix and Dear White People. It's loving stupid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

God yes. I am so happy that he's still there carrying the torch of the worst jokes and greenscreen gags possible as bumpers between commercial breaks, Saturday night creature features just aren't the same without them.

What charms me about it is that even with the gags and such, there's an absolute love for the movies and the stories behind them. Some may be cheesier than others (and even the good ones feel cheesy these days just because ideas of pacing and tone have moved on) but it's a different tone of thing than you see on MST3K and imitators. It's like the modern radio stations who play/deejay old 50s and 60s music; they don't try to pretend it's not 2017 or that they're the old hosts, but there's a torch-passing sort of thing there rather than just being "retro".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope Comedy Central stops giving random comedians political talk shows. People were talking about how Trump being President would be good for comedy but it just makes some comedians lazy. I remember when Bush was President and a lot of mediocre comics started getting shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, my digital antenna was such a disappointment. I get 3 networks and most of them are shaky. Granted, I do get a few weird regional networks that air strange things but I rarely actually watch that when I've got a chromecast in that same TV.

Also, Hap and Leonard is awesome. I was just waiting to binge it and I haven't yet got around to it. But I might start it tonight. I was binging a zombie show on Hulu called Freakish but its really, really, really bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm lucky, my apartment's window has a great view across the river to the main broadcast antenna in town. I was using basic rabbit-ears and a converter box until a month or so ago, and even now a 5-dollar antenna gets me all the major stations and a bunch of minor ones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, that's what kind of bummed me out. I was using rabbit ears from the dollar store and I got the same channels I got from a $30 digital antenna.

I mean, its just $30 so I'm not crying or anything. I was just hoping I'd at least get to watch sports on networks or something. Could have gone a long way towards getting me to cut the chord.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Open Source Idiom posted:

To be fair to the cast (and probably the writers too) I suspect the reason they're saying this utter load of codswallop is at Hulu's / Sony's / some moneybag's behest, rather than because they actually believe it. To a large portion of their potential audiences, feminist is a noncommercial word.

Of course the entire thing is feminist. It's Margaret freaking Atwood. But they don't want to risk puncturing some precious MRA's thin thin skin and risk losing some marginal portion of their client base -- like what happened with Netflix and Dear White People. It's loving stupid.

Calm down. Atwood herself downplayed the purely feminist perception of the book talking about how while some of the books observations may be feminist it wasn't meant to deliver a political message and it was more about how power deforms human beings. Of course the book has feminist readings, I remember we covered it, along with The Yellow Wallpaper (one of my favorite stories ever) and Trifles in my Feminist Criticism class, but it's totally fine to see it as a human story.

Anyway, the Hulu series looks pretty good. Another show to marathon over the summer.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 22, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It was mostly just Elizabeth Moss saying this but it's still a little weird- like she herself has not been afraid to call herself a feminist so it's not an "I don't believe in feminism, just equalism" thing.

Like she's probably just trying to say "you should watch this even if you're not interested in 'political' stuff" but it came out wrong.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is no such thing as digital antennas. Any antenna works the same.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

See, that's what kind of bummed me out. I was using rabbit ears from the dollar store and I got the same channels I got from a $30 digital antenna.

I mean, its just $30 so I'm not crying or anything. I was just hoping I'd at least get to watch sports on networks or something. Could have gone a long way towards getting me to cut the chord.

The downside of broadcast is that it's heavily dependent on the surrounding geography. Folks in New York for example probably have a broadcaster as close to them (somewhere in that city) as I am to one, but all the buildings in the way are gonna lead to an ordeal. Heck, if I lived in what Portland calls "downtown" I'd probably have issues. And the more expensive antennas package it up in so much prestige and sales-speak that it's tough to tell what's actually useful for you until after you've spent the money.

E: and that's not even mentioning those infomercial antennas that treat broadcast reception as some big secret The Government doesn't want you to know about.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Why isn't there a thread for 13 Reasons Why?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaunab posted:

It's on page 2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815678

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I just saw it. On phone and the e/n tag threw me off.

Edit: Goddamn it I peaked at it there were spoilers right on the first goddamn page.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 22, 2017

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gaunab posted:

I can think of a few reasons.

More than a few.

A dozen, perhaps. Like one you'd receive from a baker!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Can we talk for a moment about the hilarity/stupidity of the cast and creators of The Handmaid's Tale trying to downplay the fact that it's feminist?
Does anyone outside the kind of people who write and comment on articles for AV Club, Jezebel, etc. even care?

Gaunab posted:

People were talking about how Trump being President would be good for comedy but it just makes some comedians lazy.
If anyone listens to Cum Town, this is exactly what Nick Mullen said would happen. In this era of "good politics = good comedy," it's going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better. On the other hand, Nick was one of the writers for Problematic, so I guess that all goes out the window when you're making money.

Supposedly, Kasher doesn't even believe that cultural appropriation is a crisis. It's very easy to ride the wave and cynically exploit it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

Does anyone outside the kind of people who write and comment on articles for AV Club, Jezebel, etc. even care?

Uh, have you met Americans?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LadyPictureShow posted:

High five, only other Hap and Leonard watcher in existence! Let's be friends.

While the finale was a little more sedate,I like that it finally answered the overarching mystery that kicked off the season. And it's cool that both seasons have ended with a lingering shot hinting at the plot/mystery/setting for the following season (please tell me this is getting a season 3).

And if you like this series, check out Cold In July on Netflix; it's a movie based on another Landsdale work directed by Mickle and Damici.

What's interesting is Lansdale like to weave supporting characters in and out of his books, so one small character from one book may pop up as a supporting character in another book. The reason I mention this, is because the Don Johnson character in Cold in July turns up later in several Hap and Leonard novels.

Also finished Trial and Error, great little show, very reminiscent of Parks and Rec. Hope it gets a season 2, but if not, they wrapped it up beautifully.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Supposedly, Kasher doesn't even believe that cultural appropriation is a crisis. It's very easy to ride the wave and cynically exploit it.

I genuinely love it when the whitest, most milquetoast-rear end white dudes say crap like this. I tried watching Problematic but it seemed so by-the-numbers and rote that I stopped about halfway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm really trying to get into Fear the Walking dead but just can't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

I watched half an episode of season 1 and have no curiosity if the show has gotten any better this season or not. Applies also to the main show in re: its new season (does it have a new season? I don't even remember)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Why?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because he hates himself

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Branding something as feminist in the US is like putting a big "hate this thing" neon sign on it. In fact a ton of US tv shows about strong female characters have episodes where an openly feminist character is an antagonist, to clarify that while this show is about women being capable and having inner lives, it's not FEMINIST or anything.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lurdiak posted:

Branding something as feminist in the US is like putting a big "hate this thing" neon sign on it. In fact a ton of US tv shows about strong female characters have episodes where an openly feminist character is an antagonist, to clarify that while this show is about women being capable and having inner lives, it's not FEMINIST or anything.

"feminist" is somehow, insanely, a dirty word. Even among people that believe and advocate for obviously feminist agendas. And it's not always people saying "oh no I'm not feminist" for optics. Many, many people sincerely believe that feminism is about having women be superior to men. This idea is especially prevalent in American media.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Girlboss reminds me of that weird Will Arnett show last year which seemed to exist squarely because someone at Netflix really wanted to give Will Arnett work. I don't even know what genre I'd place it in, it's all over the place. It's also haunted by Dean Norris who seems to still be paying penance for having been in Under the Dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spatula City posted:

"feminist" is somehow, insanely, a dirty word. Even among people that believe and advocate for obviously feminist agendas. And it's not always people saying "oh no I'm not feminist" for optics. Many, many people sincerely believe that feminism is about having women be superior to men. This idea is especially prevalent in American media.

It doesn't help that TERFs are among the worst people on this planet, second wave feminists have turned into HRC apologistas/bloodthirsty hawks, third wave feminists have a significant minority of their online presence dominated by people who bitch about Marvel on tumblr and such nightmare hell people as Lena Dunham, male feminists are routinely creepy pathetic losers attempting, badly and obviously, to get into women's pants by being the most unnecessary white knights ever, and white feminists in general have been on a campaign of race erasure/capitalist reinforcement ever and especially since HRC lost.

Much like "liberal" the label "feminist" is a rough one to rock right now. I call myself a feminist ally nowadays just to be done with it since male feminists have so routinely and thoroughly hosed up the label for the rest of us.

• Locked thread