Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Fighting each other over politics is really dumb and bad.

Also there's been a million lovely threads about that crap already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump is an out of touch rich piece of poo poo, unlike me, Hillary Clinton

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Toadvine posted:

you're so close to the heart of the matter

I'm not saying Hillary wasn't many of those things, just that it also would have been a more successful line of attack on Trump. What, you're telling me people were going to start caring about hypocrisy during the election?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'm not saying Hillary wasn't many of those things, just that it also would have been a more successful line of attack on Trump. What, you're telling me people were going to start caring about hypocrisy during the election?

left wingers tend to care about that stuff more than right wingers and sometimes it loses them elections

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

anybody could have beat Donald Trump, except Hillary. she was so bad she lost to donald trump. she's a bad candidate riddled with hubris and bad judgement. THeres no outcome where Hillary beats Donald Trump, because she is bad. the successful outcome where donald trump loses is the one where hillary wasn't his opponent.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was right, there is no "primitive level" or "portions of truth". it's kinda sad you admit to having the mindset of an angry high school nerdling. you're glad the people with the moral and correct stances have no political power lol

no man it's that you're a self righteous douchecanoe thats right mostly by coincidence and i enjoy seeing you lord over everyone like your point of view actually has some kind of authority

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

whoflungpoop posted:

Also my analogy was perfect bc Obama continually emphasized from the beginning "ok this part was fun but it was the easy part, everyone has to stay politically active and keep at it" and the left said "sure dad :jerkbag:" and spent 8 years doing nothing but growing resentful between labored trips to the mailbox to check if their better life came in yet

So motherfucking true. From day 1 of Obama's first term the Republicans have literally taken the opposite stance on every single position he's taken on every issue. Their entire mission was to make him fail, even if he had a reasonable idea. They even fought tooth and nail against some of their own ideas that he supported.

The left so totally loving failed him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Didn't he shut down his national grassroots networks, referring them a 'tiger he couldn't control' something?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Testikles posted:

The internet is really what has made us all more rabid and hateful. These are my seven reasons:

1. Humans have very short attention spans. We like quick and easy digestible information. The listicle is only popular because it delivers information in an appealing format. Those short two minute UpWorthy videos are popular because they are easy to watch. Humans are lazy creatures and we enjoy getting the gist of things quickly. It take a lot of effort to sit down and read a book, and unless we're really interested in a topic, that's a high hurdle to jump over if there's something easy close by. The information delivered is less nuanced, more stark, and delivered in simplest terms.

2. poo poo that gets us riled up is more popular. For better or for worse, we like to feel things. Stuff that makes us happy, sad, angry, whatever, is going to be more popular than something overly clinical. Feelings are supposed to be quick summaries of complex information (we don't need to go over the many reasons why we should run when a lion jumps out at us, we just need to be afraid), and it's an easy system to hijack. We're therefore more inclined towards information that provokes a response, not necessarily something that is 'objectively true'.

3. There is too much information. We have near total information about the world. We always assumed that with total information we would make better choices, but now we are so flooded with it, that we can't tell what is actually important anymore. Now when faced with a complex issue we can literally bury ourselves in the details and miss the topic at large. To take a very low level example, if I wanted to go out and buy a car, in previous decades, I'd rely on the salesperson or the automaker for a select set of specs and maybe a magazine review. Maybe I'd consult a few people I know and trust and see what they think. I could mull it over and then decide. Now not only do I have that information, I now online ratings from multiple websites, I have youtube reviews, I have podcasts, I have facebook posts etc.The world is now able to weigh in on my car making decision. I now have to curate this information on my own and create trusted networks that were taken for granted before. But at the same time....

4. The gatekeepers have been bypassed. The internet has opened the floodgates for content creation. Where before we would really have to rely on a very select set of taste makers for our media, now anybody can produce content. Things that used to be hard to come by: the niche, the strange, avant-garde, conspiratorial and underground, are now very capable of being produced and delivered just as quickly as 'mainstream media.' What might have been a 'zine' trade between a few in the know, can suddenly blow up in a Vice article overnight. This has had the great advantage of bringing new talent and content to light that was missed by the gatekeepers. This served also to discredit them too. By intentionally or unintentionally missing information, the gatekeepers can appear ignorant or dishonest. It damages their credibility. People begin to ask why aren't things they find important being covered?

5. The internet destroys and creates tribes. Humans are tribal creatures. We naturally find reasons to cluster together, and they are arbitrary. In the past the easiest reason to form a tribe was by proximity. You lived in the same area and because you lived in the same area, you generally spoke the same way, dressed the same way, and did the same things. As civilization progressed, politics and economics helped shape that too. You could belong to a class, you could be part of a profession, and with proximity, and its offshoot culture, you could be an ethnicity or of a religion. So there were really only so many acceptable or reasonable dimensions of tribe. Regardless of how it forms, the tribe sets out many key things: mores and behaviours. The tribe tells you what to do, how to do it, and why it should be done. No person is completely immune to this.

On the one hand modernism and post-modernism has really screwed around with that. With the hyperfocus on originality and the individual, people feel dislocated from the world at large. People now have to find social meaning through other means and the internet has facilitated that. We can now bond over things that have stronger meanings to us like hobbies, experiences, or unsurprisingly sex. As people come together to discuss stuff, they start forming a community, and then eventually a tribe, complete with insiders and outsiders.

On the other hand, we are now exposed to how different we all are. Whereas before there were issues unspoken, and due to the limits of communication we could just assume that the world around us conformed to our expectations, with the rise of the internet, we suddenly are faced with the fact that people disagree. The large super tribes of government and nation are fraying because we can no longer take it for granted that other people elsewhere in the country, the state, the city, or even our own neighborhoods represent us. We start to cling to our fundamental beliefs in fear of losing ourselves. For conservatives, they might entrench themselves in religion, for liberals, it might be identity politics.

6. We all think we are the good guy. Nobody imagines themselves being the bad guy (excluding the rare case). At worst people might fantasize about being an anti-hero. They have unlikable qualities but these unlikable qualities are precisely what gives them an edge over their enemies. Now because who the good guys are, are defined by your tribe, there will be stark disagreement over who the good guy is in any scenario. Even groups of people who might otherwise agree will get into arguments because they are simply not the 'right' people. This might be fine if it wasn't for the fact that one aspect of being the good guys is often fighting the bad guys. The internet has created the perfect arena for this. With many clashing opinions and meeting tribes, you can now interject yourself into any fray you want to. If somebody is bashing your tribe anywhere at any time, you can be there instantaneously with little effort on your part, to fight the good fight.

Another effect is because we are the good guys, we tend to look for things on the internet that affirm our tribe and our identities within the tribe. It takes a lot to go out and challenge your own belief system and the path of least resistance is to ignore that. We build echo chambers for ourselves and even though many people might pride themselves on being open minded, they are usually only open minded to things that do not disrupt their tribal core beliefs.

7. Best of all, there are no consequences. Where tribal conflicts often meant the threat of violence or even death, the internet removes that from the equation. You can be as vile as you want with little or no repercussions. Things that you might never consider saying to a person's face are all suddenly kosher and because you will never meet this person, there is no reason to give quarter or relent. They are the enemy and their destruction can only mean affirmation of your beliefs.

The conclusion is that we have this scenario: we have rapidly reproducing unfiltered information often lacking nuance flooding the internet. It is difficult to sort through what is important and due to our tribal tendency and our own human faults, we will tend to select the easiest absorbable information, with the greatest emotional appeal, and what conforms to our beliefs. Other people are doing the same, and we are exposed to them. We realize we don't like them very much disassociate from them, and start to form our own social circles. We are constantly bombarded with contrary information, and begin to attack outwards against people who don't agree with us, because they are not like us and are bad people. On their own end they do the same. America is slowly filling up with warring tribes of people who do not follow traditional definitions, and the traditional definitions are falling apart. Everybody is splintering in every direction and there is no reason to compromise.

Here's how many words it took for me to express my opinion back when I made this gif after some old criminal bitch stole my man Bernie's job:

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Amarcarts posted:

So motherfucking true. From day 1 of Obama's first term the Republicans have literally taken the opposite stance on every single position he's taken on every issue. Their entire mission was to make him fail, even if he had a reasonable idea. They even fought tooth and nail against some of their own ideas that he supported.

The left so totally loving failed him.

Ask yourself why. Part of it was naive and incredibly destructive poo poo he did because he didn't actually understand politics, like get rid of riders on bills. His being black was an issue for him, another issue however is that he didn't understand that politics is backroom wheeling and dealing.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
hot take: its good that bernie didnt win and risk getting constantly sniped in his sweet old balls by corporate democrats and republicans who neuter his progress and social progressivism in general

too bad democrats aren't in more dire straits though, they'll limp along for a few more cycles while the leeches get fatter and their base dries up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
for a man who lurved "Team of Rivals" he sure as poo poo didn't read the same book I did re: presidenting

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
How the hell did Obama win by such a big margin in 2012? Was it just plain competency at getting out the vote? I feel like he should have faced the same struggles Hillary did, considering the economic reality at the time and disillusionment with him from the far left, but he didn't have any trouble at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
abraham lincoln: weird crafty motherfucker who is good because he was on the right side, if he'd been on the wrong drat side he'd have been a cataclysm

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alpha Mayo posted:

How the hell did Obama win by such a big margin in 2012? Was it just plain competency at getting out the vote? I feel like he should have faced the same struggles Hillary did, considering the economic reality at the time and disillusionment with him from the far left, but he didn't have any trouble at all.

romney did suck rear end, man. like, the repubs could have won easy if they'd run the right man. it was... "romney's turn" tho

it was not the time to run a hyper rich man whose wife owns multi million dollar hoarses and who says that big bird should die and that the american worker is lazy and should work more hours

there is absolutely no platform that will fail better and harder than "the average american should work more"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Even Romney had some weirdly relatable moments, such as the time he ironed his shirt while wearing it as his wife looked on in horror.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*stands up on podium* you should work more!!

crowd: *cheers, hoots and wolf whistles*

and have... fewer things!!

crowd: *applause achieves a roar*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it didn't help that obamacare was romneycare so he looked like a huge hypocrite.

Pick posted:

to be fair to romney this is the actual republican platform.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

This is one of the reasons I didn't vote for him, yeah

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mitt also had the Hillary problem of he was obviously a robot/lizardman pretending to be an American. The book directly likens Hillary's "deplorables" comment to his "47%" comment, which is pretty fair in terms of what it reveals about their crushing inability to realize that being honest about their respective loathing of poors is electorally a poor idea.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Obama killed his nationwide political network the second he got in and appointed all clinton people.

The left didnt fail obama, obama failed the left.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

People mad at or scared of antifa are the biggest loving babies in the world.

Nah, death to anarchists. We need Marxism-Leninism.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That second video rules. Go back to pol you whiny poo poo

I, too, unironically endorse violence

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

skasion posted:

Mitt also had the Hillary problem of he was obviously a robot/lizardman pretending to be an American.

https://youtu.be/FDwwAaVmnf4

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

This is one of the reasons I didn't vote for him, yeah

I would probably be friends with Mitt Romney irl but I just thought he seemed out of touch.

Oh and all his social positions are 100% loving garbage.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Alienwarehouse posted:

Nah, death to anarchists. We need Marxism-Leninism.

Yes, because of all the overwhelming evidence that it is a totally valid political/economic system such as

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Streak posted:

Trump is an out of touch rich piece of poo poo, unlike me, Hillary Clinton

GUM

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Hillarys platform in a nutshell:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Harrower posted:

Of course he was signing off on drone strikes and commando raids the entire time. That was sort of his deal.

He was the best republican president we've had in a while. Remember all those corporate bailouts? lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alpha Mayo posted:

The first election after a massive economic crash caused by Wall Street, the Republicans ran a robotic Private Equity financier. :mitt:

It was a tremendous self-own, much like running Hillary

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

skasion posted:

It's the former. Trump is a dickhead but he's not Hitler and there's frankly no convincing reason to suspect there was anything irregular about his election. Hell, even if he were Hitler, Obama doesn't get to decide who his successor is. He literally did not have any authority to deny Trump the presidency and it would have been more damaging to the republic and the rule of law if he had tried to prevent Trump from assuming the office.

B-b-b-but he grabbed pussy! He totally grabbed some pussies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

He was the best republican president we've had in a while. Remember all those corporate bailouts? lol

goldman sachs is too big to fail. your family, not so much lol

owned

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
me: obama i think i may be in trouble for getting $130,000 in student debt on at university of california berkeley by saying I have career goals please dont sing dragula
obama: dead i am the one
me, sobbing: please please i got a phone call from the college finanance department
biden via speakerphone: conquering the worm

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I still can't believe just how rabid a lot of HRC supporters. Any critiques of her record, or who she supported/supported her send them into angry tweet storms or convince to write lovely articles/segments about it. Then again, the continued haplessness of the Dem establishment/Liberal Centrists as "the resistance" and their persistent vitriol for the left make should make this less surprising. Meeting these diehards in person is even more taxing, though, since you can't just close a window or tab when they start yelling about conspiracies, Sanders, Syria, etc...

The way the Lib Centrist/Dem diehards have been acting, coupled with the shittiness of the GOP and Trump, is really doing a number on my optimism.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pick posted:

goldman sachs is too big to fail. your family, not so much lol

owned

Just goes to show that actions speak louder than words.

Except most people just listen to words. So say the right ones and do whatever you like.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Fire Barrel posted:

I still can't believe just how rabid a lot of HRC supporters. Any critiques of her record, or who she supported/supported her send them into angry tweet storms or convince to write lovely articles/segments about it. Then again, the continued haplessness of the Dem establishment/Liberal Centrists as "the resistance" and their persistent vitriol for the left make should make this less surprising. Meeting these diehards in person is even more taxing, though, since you can't just close a window or tab when they start yelling about conspiracies, Sanders, Syria, etc...

The way the Lib Centrist/Dem diehards have been acting, coupled with the shittiness of the GOP and Trump, is really doing a number on my optimism.

I was an ironic nihilist before the election, now I am a true believer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spacetoaster posted:

B-b-b-but he grabbed pussy! He totally grabbed some pussies.

You think Obamas ever grabbed any pussies ? Asking for a friend

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

bongwizzard posted:

Yes, because of all the overwhelming evidence that it is a totally valid political/economic system such as

China.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

china is more capitalist than the us at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

This is exactly why no one takes communism seriously. Like how can you even say this and expect any reasonable person to go "yes this guy is right, full communism now".

• Locked thread