Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

MilesK posted:

They're at most selling 10 packs of referrals. The buyer get's his Hello Kitty space bike for only $200. The seller gets $450 dollars worth of poo poo for $200. CIG gets $400 and 10 new accounts they can claim as unique people. Win win

Doesn't someone end up with 10 accounts which no one wants though? I guess they'll sell them for big bucks once 3.0 is released...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Doesn't someone end up with 10 accounts which no one wants though? I guess they'll sell them for big bucks once 3.0 is released...

I assume you can do something like melt the ships, send all the credits to one account, buy the latest concept sale ship and then try to flip it or just keep it because you're a citizen.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Just seems like it'd be simply to just mug someone and buy jpgs.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:wtchris:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MinorInconvenience posted:

Agreed. And I wish folks would stop getting justice boners about Croberts & Co. going to jail. It's not going to happen and it makes more level-headed critics of Croberts look foolish.

I don't feel like anybody will do jail time.

I just reeeeeaaaaally want to see them publicly admit they screwed up, and see those smug looks wiped off their faces.

Realistically though, CR and crew will set up a fall team after releasing some piece of crap and say "I laid the foundation of my vision, and with great pride I hand the reigns over to X, who has done A, B, C. I know Star Citizen is in good hands and my vision will continue to become reality."

And then he will skid off in his Porsche with money flying out the windows. About 10 months later X will make the announcement of the final release of the game going gold and they will continue to "support" it. Within 6 months of that servers will be shut down, possibly with a mass dump of the AWS server code for people to buy their own Amazon hosting for their private servers.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

XK posted:

I'm not wrong here on assuming that sales of referrals has to be credit card fraud, right?

There's no other explanation for how somebody could have referrals to sell. Really, explain to me how somebody can bulk sell referrals without some kind of fraud being involved.
Another angle--someone has an account creation tool. The first notion of an account creator being involved came back in the buy an AMD card get a voucher for Star Citizen days. There was a constant availability of AMD vouchers for a few years in the early days. There was speculation someone at AMD or a clever hacker was generating lots and lots of accounts. But of course the simplest solution is normally the right one--so someone from CIG marketing could very well be the person generating the accounts. Fast forward to the latest scam and it makes you scratch your head. If someone is simply generating random accounts for free the referral fee is pure profit. Plus there aren't any worries of getting arrested for legit credit card fraud.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

The Matrix: Forcing humans inside a hyper-realistic simulation to make the trapped bodies power the evil overlords with their energy.

Star Citizen: Humans power the evil overlords with their cash, in return for hearing stories about a hyper-realistic simulation that is coming REAL SOON NOW.

/triggered

That explanation of why AI would farm humans ruined the Matrix for me. You could get more energy, far more easily, from an infinite number of non-volatile chemical reactions than could be gotten from the waste heat given off by an animal. The really infuriating thing is that it could've been fixed incredibly easily by claiming the AI were farming the human brain's processing power instead.

/meltdown

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I wonder who is in charge of the referral counter. I'm sure they're reliable and trustworthy and wouldn't succumb to bribes from hundreds of desperate nerds with large amounts of disposable income in order to be a part of some stupid club or have a spaceship that won't ever be released.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The forgotten interview with Chris Roberts

quote:

I’m so sorry, the second of this month’s Unpublished Paul posts is late this week, due to a bunch of different things falling on me at once. It’s a special one, though!

What follows is a transcript from an old interview I did with Star Citizen and Wing Commander creator/film producer Chris Roberts, way back in 2013. It was an interview I put together with the hope of supporting a much broader feature about the man and his history, a profile piece of the sort that I like to do sometimes (see here and here).

Unfortunately time and life and other commitments meant the scale of this project was too much and I worked on it too slowly. The next year, U.S. Gamer beat me to it with this profile piece and I considered my beginnings a little dated.

However, it was a great interview (my third with Roberts, who is always an interesting person to talk to) and it touches on a lot of Roberts’ career, influences and early achievements. I think it’s a good transcript to read through as is and, with that in mind, I’ve decided to share it here. It’s edited for clarity and slightly annotated, but otherwise remains the conversation we had.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

HycoCam posted:

Another angle--someone has an account creation tool. The first notion of an account creator being involved came back in the buy an AMD card get a voucher for Star Citizen days. There was a constant availability of AMD vouchers for a few years in the early days. There was speculation someone at AMD or a clever hacker was generating lots and lots of accounts. But of course the simplest solution is normally the right one--so someone from CIG marketing could very well be the person generating the accounts. Fast forward to the latest scam and it makes you scratch your head. If someone is simply generating random accounts for free the referral fee is pure profit. Plus there aren't any worries of getting arrested for legit credit card fraud.

Possible, but if you've got inside access, or can fake up accounts that CIG won't eventually cancel, it seems like you should have better avenues for generating money than selling referrals.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

I doubt you're a lawyer.

I can confirm he's a lawyer, because his law office is across the hall from my law office where I practice law. Sometimes we do lunch and talk about important litigations and defendants and law.

And we go to Starbucks so you know we are very legit.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

I can confirm he's a lawyer, because his law office is across the hall from my law office where I practice law. Sometimes we do lunch and talk about important litigations and defendants and law.

trust this one.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

The Titanic posted:

I used to be a hotshot lawyer but then I quit to become an expert in programming virtual worlds, systems and economies for use in the gaming industry so I'm sure there are people far more qualified than me to comment in this thread.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ah, well then it feels great.
Being declared a Derek on Reddit is a mark high of high distinction and honour. :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I'm actualy a lawyer irl so i anyone has any legal questions just ask and be safe in the knowledge that my answer will be definitive and all you need to know

Can we do lunch to discuss current law trends over Starbucks?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Dude's a wanker imo

I'll trust your expertise on that one

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They still haven't turned off likes and comments for that dumb video. I'm surprised (although it is the weekend).

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I'm actualy a lawyer irl so i anyone has any legal questions just ask and be safe in the knowledge that my answer will be definitive and all you need to know

If I asked if you were a lawyer you would have to tell me just like a cop. But I clearly can see that you are a real lawyer and thus find no cause to ask that question.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

If I asked if you were a lawyer you would have to tell me just like a cop. But I clearly can see that you are a real lawyer and thus find no cause to ask that question.

OVERRULED!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

CR:
There’s going to be a lot. It’ll be great. I just meant it not so much like… “Hey, it’s a lot of work.” I meant it more like, in my head I can see it.

When I make games I see a picture in my mind and what I’ve always been good at is being able to realise what I can see in my head. What I can see in my head I think is really kind of cool, it’s just the frustration of… to get it from there onto a screen, working in a game that everyone else works on, doesn’t happen in a day. I would like it to happen as quickly as possible.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

Can we do lunch to discuss current law trends over Starbucks?

I'll get my people to get in touch with your people

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MilesK posted:

CR:
There’s going to be a lot. It’ll be great. I just meant it not so much like… “Hey, it’s a lot of work.” I meant it more like, in my head I can see it.

When I make games I see a picture in my mind and what I’ve always been good at is being able to realise what I can see in my head. What I can see in my head I think is really kind of cool, it’s just the frustration of… to get it from there onto a screen, working in a game that everyone else works on, doesn’t happen in a day. I would like it to happen as quickly as possible.

So what he is saying is that what he sees in his own head is empty space

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MilesK posted:

CR:

Just the frustration of... yelling at people until they make the pictures in my head real and then... the errrr, the frustration when they let you down AGAIN and um

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

The Titanic posted:

Real lawyers only drink the Unicorn Frappuccinos.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

Oh yeah, it's the selling of referrals at below $45+ that doesn't make sense.

I could see one of the maniacs buying 10 referrals at $10 a piece to get that Hello Kitty shipbike for $100. Anything beyond that makes no sense whatsoever unless you're getting referrals for less than $5 each. It gets worse the further up the reward chart you go. The high end rewards would only be worth it if you're getting referrals at about $2 each.

It seems that you don't understand the worth of being *the winner* of the contest. The fan who has helped SC the most. The king of backers. The savior.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I can confirm this as true as I used to be a homeless guy out on the street between their offices and Starbucks.

I can confirm it was Pgabz as I doxx him to sign a blank napkin that I was going to turn into the Album cover of Solsbury Hill.

I too can confirm that he was with The Titanic for has they where returning from lunch I placed a ice cube on the side walk to which she promptly ran over to, yelled out "ICEBERG", grazed along it, stuck her bum up in the air and proceed to go down.

I am no longer homeless as I was told by a 3.0 Jesus patch, that was lost, that the whole world is my home.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So that thread with 700 posts and 4k upvotes dogging CIGs marketing got "autodeleted" huh

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

So that thread with 700 posts and 4k upvotes dogging CIGs marketing got "autodeleted" huh

That is the going theory, yet no mod or official has said a word to confirm or deny.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DENIED! adjournment sine die! See you at the starbucks, counselor.

Real lawyers only drink the Unicorn Frappuccinos.

And how would you know about our habits when you're obviously not a lawyer?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 22, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

:negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

I'm not wrong here on assuming that sales of referrals has to be credit card fraud, right?

There's no other explanation for how somebody could have referrals to sell. Really, explain to me how somebody can bulk sell referrals without some kind of fraud being involved.

It's complete fraud and a scam. Just like the project itself.

More evidence mods on the sub-Reddit either paid by CIG or something. A 4K upvoted thread critical of CIG deleted. Now backers are wondering why. So far, no explanation whatsoever - not even by the mods.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

trucutru posted:

DENIED! adjournment sine die! See you at the starbucks, counselor.

And how would you know about our habits when you're obviously not a lawyer?

Obviously because I'm a barista. Quod erat demonstrandum.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

It's complete fraud and a scam. Just like the project itself.

More evidence mods on the sub-Reddit either paid by CIG or something. A 4K upvoted thread critical of CIG deleted. Now backers are wondering why. So far, no explanation whatsoever - not even by the mods.

Eh, the OP has already posted the explanation given to him (by the mods, I guess ) like an hour ago.

quote:

Hijacking top comment. No witch hunts, and no going around blaming CIG or the mods. So far I've heard that since the post made it into r/all, got a lot of attention from outside our subreddit and got reports spammed in it.

CIG is very receptive to criticism (they've handled much, much worse) and the mods here are fairly level headed. Regardless, that thread actually gave me a lot of inspiration to actually take things into a positive direction.

Stay tuned on that front, I'll be whipping up a video together :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

The thing you have to remember is the game is a bad idea made from stolen ideas by a tired old hack and the backers are uniformly loving idiots

:perfect:

:five::five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thank you for this. So no matter what, the backers aren't getting the game they think they are, even if it all works out in the end.

Where have you been? And did you not read my July blog in which I - basically said this - in no uncertain terms. Like back in July 2015. :argh:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

It's almost as if they didn't have a VP of marketing with a Masters degree in marketing, and another degree in marine biology :grin:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D_Smart posted:

Where have you been? And did you not read my July blog in which I - basically said this - in no uncertain terms. Like back in July 2015. :argh:

I mean the game that the backers want exists in their loving imagination there is no way it will ever exist in reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

D_Smart posted:

I guess the distinction in my mind is the difference between "it is impossible from a technological standpoint" and "it is impossible because CIG are gently caress ups." I see lots of evidence of the later, I'm just looking for confirmation of the former. And if your blog dealt with that, then I apologize. Although, you do have a lot of blog entries to wade through there.