Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Changed oil and filters on the 690 yesterday. After filling with the mandated amount of unicorn oil, EXACTLY 1.7 liters, the sight glass is completely void of oil? I'm afraid of exploding something, so I'm thinking of just pulling the plug wires, cranking it for about ten seconds to pressurise and fill the pumps and poo poo, and then check again after a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

I remember when I was a kid, my dad bought a guzzi with some reverse cone mufflers on it and when they started it up, acorns started shooting out the exhaust. So I guess it's kind of a common issue :v:

Yesterday I took the new sumo for a ride at the tricities kart track. I still need to adjust a lot on the suspension and git gud at racing, but it's a big step up in performance versus the sm610.

Is it a speedway-style track or is there another reason why you've got graining on one side of the tyre but bobbles on the other?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New tires and a short kart track. I didn't get enough miles in to wear the nubs all the way off.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Man, your supermoto looks dope as hell. Need to get some sumo rims for my 450 but having too much fun riding dirt right now to bother.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Changed oil and filters on the 690 yesterday. After filling with the mandated amount of unicorn oil, EXACTLY 1.7 liters, the sight glass is completely void of oil? I'm afraid of exploding something, so I'm thinking of just pulling the plug wires, cranking it for about ten seconds to pressurise and fill the pumps and poo poo, and then check again after a while?

Dumb question but - is it upright?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If the oil is in there, and didn't go anywhere, maybe start it up and let it run for a minute, then turn it off and look at it. I had to top mine up after, due to the filters soaking up some oil. What are you hoping to accomplish by removing the spark plug wires?

I just fill oil until i can see it in the sight glass, though...

Chichevache posted:

Your bike looks like an extremely angry fish. I like it.

I hated the front headlight until you mentioned this. That's exactly what it looks like and now he has to keep it exactly the same because it's awesome.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
I've been traveling for work for the last month so when I got home last week I had a bunch of parts sitting in the garage from me being bored and ordering things for the KLX. I spent pretty much all of last week working on the KLX:
Oil change
Fork seal & oil change
Put in a jet kit and replaced the carb o-rings
Replaced the front fender (cracked at a mounting hole) with a KX450 front fender
Put on a pair of $15 knock off IMS foot pegs
Put on a new pair of fork guards
& Got rid of the dry rotted D606s that the PO never replaced and put on a set of Shinko 705s

Also, I ordered a set of Warp 9 supermoto rims to eventually relace the hubs and convert the bike over to a sumo. And started looking for ideas to update the tail of the bike to more of a D-tracker look like this:

So I ordered a KX450 rear fender and started trimming to see how it would fit. After the initial fit up it looks like I'm going to have to start some cutting and bending on the sub frame since the original fender is higher overall and the KX450 rear fender doesn't come down all the way to cover the sub frame.

Hooray Dialysis fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 18, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

OMG THAT FLASK.
I'm trying to work out in my head how much work it would be to braze some copper lines into the bottom of this flask I got as a groomsman gift and run them to the overflow drains of my carbs.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Fishvilla posted:

Thanks (I think). It took a minute, but now I see what you mean. It makes me want to do up a Catfish Cowboy livery a la the Team Bearpope shield.

They're made to prevent blisters from forming on your thumbs when you ride. My understanding is that It's more common on dirt/sumo because you're more likely to have to regrip the bars. My DRZ came with a pair when I first got it, and I find them pretty comfortable, so I decided to replace them when I was in there doing grips and the such.

Man I haven't seen one of those shaking dolphin avatars in a while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I have the little metal spring bracelet thing on the inner fork itself, but I mean those black bands at the bottom of his anodized portion, which keep the fork guard from rubbing off the anodize.

This is so tacky

I know exactly what you're talking about and it's the same thing I'm talking about, it's a ring that stops the plastic stone guards from rubbing the fork outer raw. Every WP fork I've ever seen has had either a plastic ring or a metal snap ring to do that job, are you sure yours aren't just missing?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait... They were on the shiny silver part when I bought it, not the anodized part. Are they actually supposed to be up there?

The other SMC I saw this weekend had them down on the silver (inner part) of the shocks, too. I thought they were like dirt guard or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I rode it. For the first time in a long time. It was pretty drat cold this morning, but it was worth it for the 70 degree ride home.

Fuckin Lake Michigan, making the nights and mornings colder than they have to be.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Put 2.5 oz of weight on the rear wheel of the DR and it's still not balanced. Made it a lot more pleasant to ride on the highway, though.

Ran some errands on the XJ to scrub the grease off the new tires. :feelsgood:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Wait... They were on the shiny silver part when I bought it, not the anodized part. Are they actually supposed to be up there?

The other SMC I saw this weekend had them down on the silver (inner part) of the shocks, too. I thought they were like dirt guard or something.

Potato pic to show you what I mean, mine is a 2000 exc if it matters.

Every WP fork I've seen has had either that setup or plastic rings in the same place.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

yeah the bitch was fighting me and this is an acceptable bead buster, bite me.

Fresh tires and the wifebiek is loving done. he can go beat the poo poo out of it for 2 more years without caring.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I'm gonna remember that trick. I'm not always going to have a bed with wooden posts that I can jump up and down on.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Potato pic to show you what I mean, mine is a 2000 exc if it matters.

Every WP fork I've seen has had either that setup or plastic rings in the same place.

:aaaaa:

Yeaaaah, mine were never up there. Sigh. I'll move them back up to prevent more damage.

Thanks a ton for clearing that up!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Got out at the crack of dawn and rode for a few hours this morning. The 350exc just ticked over 150 hours and I'm considering whether I should do a piston (maybe more) or just braaap it till it seizes.

rally fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 20, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Restored my fuel tap's stock behaviour of clicking into each position by replacing a lost ball bearing. No more having to guess whether it's actually turned off or not! :toot:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rally posted:

Got out at the crack of dawn and rode for a few hours this morning. The 350exc just ticked over 150 hours and I'm considering whether I should do a piston (maybe more) or just braaap it till it seizes.

Back when I was going to get a 350, I found this and it gave me a lot of comfort on the engine's longevity. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-350-exc-dissection-transformation.1187553/ Guy has 200 hours and 6k miles on it and rides it hard and there's no wear at all on the piston/cylinder. I'd probably get nervous enough to do a piston at 300 hours anyway, but...

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I installed some new grips last night, but in true Schroeder fashion I broke my throttle tube at the same time. I put the grip on anyways and it's working fine, but I ordered a G2 throttle tamer to replace it before it's an issue. It's aluminum and supposed to help with snatchyness so hopefully get a smoother ride out of it.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
12,000km service, oil change + oil filter, new Angel GTs (screw those dunlop roadsmarts) and tightened chain.

Holy poo poo is adjusting the chain length on the VFR easy. Undo one bolt, adjust, redo bolt.

Bike shop where I got it wanted to charge $400 for the service, when it's literally an oil & filter change and give the bike a once over. Told the guy I'd rather do it myself, and he proceeded to give me the 'if it breaks, it's on you and voids the warranty' shpeel. Sorry mate, a monkey couldn't gently caress up an oil change.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Barnsy posted:

Sorry mate, a monkey couldn't gently caress up an oil change.

A few years ago, I drained the transmission and added 4.5 qts of oil the first time I did my wife's car.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A few years ago, I drained the transmission and added 4.5 qts of oil the first time I did my wife's car.

More like a change to oil than an oil change though.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Removed like 8 warning stickers, got my tailbag(barely) on, crg clutch lever, and suspension dialed in.

Also since it rained like every day since I got it, she got a wash and shine. Excited to finally hit the mountains tomorrow.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That thing looks superhot, jeez.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:flashfap: hnnnggggg

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Changed the oil, installed handguards.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

Removed like 8 warning stickers, got my tailbag(barely) on, crg clutch lever, and suspension dialed in.

Also since it rained like every day since I got it, she got a wash and shine. Excited to finally hit the mountains tomorrow.

It's awesome how the fairing side says 'a'.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

High Protein posted:

It's awesome how the fairing side says 'a'.

Waiting for random people to ask me why there's an 'a' on it at stop lights.

In other news I spent 2 hours riding around the mountain and it was magical. I want to spend more time on the bike today so I probably will.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Did oil and filter a bit ago. Last night replaced grips, put in a HID assembly with green lights because I'm still mad that I'll never have a real hot wheels car. Once I clean up the wiring and make sure I don't blow a fuse its good. Replaced some of the fairing clips and windscreen bolts. Tomorrow is new tire day, then I can break them in before work this weekend if the weather plays nice.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Changed the oil, installed handguards.

Can't unsee.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Fresh tires and the wifebiek is loving done. he can go beat the poo poo out of it for 2 more years without caring.

Slide Hammer posted:

I'm gonna remember that trick. I'm not always going to have a bed with wooden posts that I can jump up and down on.

The combination of these two posts gave me some interesting mental images.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Love the purple its hella rad. What's that cable going over the gas tank from the left bar?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Love the purple its hella rad. What's that cable going over the gas tank from the left bar?

That color is so eye catching, I can't tell you how happy I am with it. When I took it in for inspection all of comments on it were nice.

The wire is for the low beams, I just haven't mounted the switch is all. Stock switch now does high beams/green eyes. I'll probably hit the store for a nicer rocker switch that's easier to mount for the lows though.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I didn't have time to build a literal pit of fire to throw my money into, so I settled for buying shiny overpriced anodized bits of aluminum to put on my bike.

Shiny bolts.

A shiny gas cap.

And shiny levers. These I actually wanted to replace with shorty levers because the old clutch lever was loose and fidgety, and the front brake lever barely cleared the hand guards.

I realized pretty quickly that the clutch doesn't seat nicely into the non-OEM clutch perch the PO had put on. So I ordered a an OEM clutch perch, which should hopefully arrive soon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow that looks really good. I love those colors, and I don't normally like yellow drz's.

I rode my bike, today. I'm down to like once a week now, after my head hit, and it sucks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PathAsc posted:

Did oil and filter a bit ago. Last night replaced grips, put in a HID assembly with green lights because I'm still mad that I'll never have a real hot wheels car. Once I clean up the wiring and make sure I don't blow a fuse its good. Replaced some of the fairing clips and windscreen bolts. Tomorrow is new tire day, then I can break them in before work this weekend if the weather plays nice.

Sexy. :wink:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Steering head bearings. Finally converted to the tapered roller bearings... no more center detent for me. I used a short length of PVC pipe as a driver for the stem bearing. I was pounding away for hours, but this was really just poor technique.

The pipe had a very slightly uneven cut at the driving end, so I was really only pounding on one side of the bearing. When I started to rotate the pipe, I made a lot of progress in just minutes. Would be better to use a steel pipe, black pipe, next time, as it would transfer the power of each blow better. Getting the last eighth of an inch on was brutal. I had to imagine pounding "through" the pipe into the wood I was using as a brace beneath the bearing to finally drive it.

I didn't take enough pictures of the wiring in the headlight, so I get to have some "fun" experimenting with what goes where tomorrow.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Fishvilla posted:

I realized pretty quickly that the clutch doesn't seat nicely into the non-OEM clutch perch the PO had put on. So I ordered a an OEM clutch perch, which should hopefully arrive soon.

Replaced the lovely crusted aftermarket clutch perch with an OEM one. Now the lever actually sits nicely in it's holder. It doesn't wiggle around, and it doesn't hit the hand guard. Mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lZXWO8qs60

Some red brappy thing gave its' pipe up.