Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Thread's back

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66xcve/why_was_upoisontacos_post_removed/dgm2upl/

quote:

Automoderator auto-removes posts if it receives an excessive amount of reports. Sorry about that guys - it was never our intention to allow it to be removed, the bot just got a little too delete happy - the post is now visible again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DarkRefreshment posted:

Can someone explain the Archer thing to me? I've got the general idea that it is blatantly ripping off someone's work, but I have a feeling there is a cool story I missed in the weeds somewhere.

Ryan Archer was a CIG artist who did a lot of their promotional material and magazine stuff. What he did though was literally take either other people's art, or pictures, and just trace them. Not even use them as a reference, but actually just trace them; sometimes also just cut up the arms and legs in Photoshop to reposition them. Then he had the nerve to write:

By
Ryan
Archer

On them in some sort of ms paint looking addition.

It was broadly suspected that he was the core "art thief" at CIG, but even after he left they are still continuing to steal art in this manner. So because of that, any time CIG is caught stealing some art, it's called "Archered".

Hope this helps, friend.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MinorInconvenience posted:

I guess the distinction in my mind is the difference between "it is impossible from a technological standpoint" and "it is impossible because CIG are gently caress ups." I see lots of evidence of the later, I'm just looking for confirmation of the former. And if your blog dealt with that, then I apologize. Although, you do have a lot of blog entries to wade through there.

No worries.

A LOT of information is lost in translation. Basically, my Interstellar Citizens blog (the 1st one I wrote that got the ball rolling) stated these - and from a technology standpoint

- it can't be done as pitched
- even if it could be done, that would be the original vision pitched
- it would take a competent team + publisher + proper tech + $150 million to pull off

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

It was my tweet that did it.

https://twitter.com/Dzunner/status/855859628126740480

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Asema posted:

I mean the game that the backers want exists in their loving imagination there is no way it will ever exist in reality
But isn't that really the best game!?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Where have you been? And did you not read my July blog in which I - basically said this - in no uncertain terms. Like back in July 2015. :argh:

Minor, you don't have to read the July blog. Just read the August September October November December January February March April May June etc. ..... blog. They're all the same.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Minor, you don't have to read the July blog. Just read the August September October November December January February March April May June etc. ..... blog. They're all the same.

You're wrong. And furthermore

http://dereksmart.com/2015/07/star-citizen-blogs/

2017-03-27 – The Money Laundromat
2016-12-27 – Irreconcilable Differences
2016-10-13 – Shattered Dreams
2016-08-14 – Woman In Gaming. So What?
2016-08-12 – The War Of Attrition
2016-07-16 – The Refund Debacle
2016-07-06 – This War Of Mine
2016-06-22 – The Fidelity Of Failure
2016-05-20 – Condition Red
2016-05-06 – The INN Conspiracy
2016-04-12 – The Extinction Level Event
2016-01-02 – Squadron 42 – The Shafting 
2015-11-18 – Star Citizen – Year Four
2015-11-04 – Interstellar Pirates <– Gizmondo connection discussed here
2015-10-06 – The End Game
2015-09-22 – The Long Con
2015-08-24 – Interstellar Breach
2015-08-07 – Interstellar Raiders
2015-07-17 – Interstellar Justice
2015-07-10 – Interstellar Discourse
2015-07-06 – Interstellar Citizens

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, you can trust MoMA on this MinorInconvenience. If there is somebody who reads every single sentence written by derek it is toast (Toast is MoMA, in case you didn't know).

He's also an authority on belts, fine spirits, and handling hobo roommates (that sounds like a contradiction but it isn't!)

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

You're wrong. And furthermore

http://dereksmart.com/2015/07/star-citizen-blogs/

2017-03-27 – The Money Laundromat
2016-12-27 – Irreconcilable Differences
2016-10-13 – Shattered Dreams
2016-08-14 – Woman In Gaming. So What?
2016-08-12 – The War Of Attrition
2016-07-16 – The Refund Debacle
2016-07-06 – This War Of Mine
2016-06-22 – The Fidelity Of Failure
2016-05-20 – Condition Red
2016-05-06 – The INN Conspiracy
2016-04-12 – The Extinction Level Event
2016-01-02 – Squadron 42 – The Shafting 
2015-11-18 – Star Citizen – Year Four
2015-11-04 – Interstellar Pirates <– Gizmondo connection discussed here
2015-10-06 – The End Game
2015-09-22 – The Long Con
2015-08-24 – Interstellar Breach
2015-08-07 – Interstellar Raiders
2015-07-17 – Interstellar Justice
2015-07-10 – Interstellar Discourse
2015-07-06 – Interstellar Citizens

I wonder what all that would look like printed on nice heavyweight paper and custom hardbound covers sitting on a shelf next to a fireplace in a room that smells of expensive Scotch and Mahogany.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
These guys are such incredibly easy targets

quote:

The new Merchantman concept art looks a lot bigger than the original

Most upvoted:

quote:

Seeing it next to the Defenders, which look pretty large themselves... no wonder the price jumped $100!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

These guys are such incredibly easy targets

Most upvoted:

The scale of that Space Gypsy Wagon is bigger than the original.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

trucutru posted:

quote:

Seeing it next to the Defenders, which look pretty large themselves... no wonder the price jumped $100!

This just might be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Even if you assume the author was being sarcastic, the upvotes...? SIgh. loving hopeless idiots.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Loiosh posted:

Games I've played since SC 2.0:
Night in the Woods - Great
Snake Pass - Okay
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Meh
Rain World - Dark Souls the side-scroller
GTA 5 - Had a lot of fun in MP with this
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Pretty okay
Dishonored 2 - Great
Mad Max - Meh
Else Heart.Break() - Amazing, everyone should play this
For Honor - Meh
Hacknet - Fun
Owlboy - Great
Oxenfree - Great
Seasons after fall - Cute

King of a late reply, but.

Loiosh, your list gives the impression that you prefer smaller, more experimental "indie" type games. What was the appeal of SC? There's tons of cool small studio games out there that are crowdsourced ,and many of them will actually ship. Do you give money to those type of projects as well?

Loiosh is willing to pay any amount of money to obtain his gaming nirvana: managing a space passenger flight agency with a couple of pals

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

Ryan Archer was a CIG artist who did a lot of their promotional material and magazine stuff. What he did though was literally take either other people's art, or pictures, and just trace them. Not even use them as a reference, but actually just trace them; sometimes also just cut up the arms and legs in Photoshop to reposition them. Then he had the nerve to write:

By
Ryan
Archer

On them in some sort of ms paint looking addition.

It was broadly suspected that he was the core "art thief" at CIG, but even after he left they are still continuing to steal art in this manner. So because of that, any time CIG is caught stealing some art, it's called "Archered".

Hope this helps, friend.

from: http://drakegroth.deviantart.com/art/Drake-Groth-180060304

there's more and it's worse

e: his twitter pic is literally a floating fedora

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 22, 2017

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Exciting new feature for 3.0: we will make the entire universe 10 times bigger! Bigger ships, bigger planets, bigger stations and bigger humans! Prices will be increased tenfold to compensate.

You may not notice anything immediately, but that's just everything is in the same proportion. But the galaxy is no longer 16 septillion nautical miles, it is now 160 septillion nautical miles! You may now empty your wallets.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Enchanted Hat posted:

Exciting new feature for 3.0: we will make the entire universe 10 times bigger! Bigger ships, bigger planets, bigger stations and bigger humans! Prices will be increased tenfold to compensate.

You may not notice anything immediately, but that's just everything is in the same proportion. But the galaxy is no longer 16 septillion nautical miles, it is now 160 septillion nautical miles! You may now empty your wallets.

They already did this. It's the reason that none of Illfonic's work was the right scale to merge into the rest of the game

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's a pretty easy way to milk more money out of people. Make something old new again by making it bigger, then sell it again with a premium so people think the cost is justified.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

They already did this. It's the reason that none of Illfonic's work was the right scale to merge into the rest of the game

Well, poo poo. Looks like I'm no match for someone who has been the best marketing genius since before her arbitrary upscale.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a pretty easy way to milk more money out of people. Make something old new again by making it bigger, then sell it again with a premium so people think the cost is justified.

I'm surprised they don't do this more blatantly, actually. Just make regular large increases to the prices of old ships to make old backers feel like smart investors, while pumping out new, cheaper concept ships for new customers.

"Those goon retards thought I was a fool to buy a $100 ship DLC, but that ship is now worth $2,000 on CIG's store! I've made 1,900% profit on my investment! It's $30 on the grey market, but that'll pick up on release. I'm going to invest all my savings in these ships while they're cheap."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/855868469203660801

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!! This poo poo is why WTFO is blacklisted by CIG and treated like a Red-headed stepchild - moron.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GeniusExuberantConsoleTF2John

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Enchanted Hat posted:

I'm surprised they don't do this more blatantly, actually. Just make regular large increases to the prices of old ships to make old backers feel like smart investors, while pumping out new, cheaper concept ships for new customers.

"Those goon retards thought I was a fool to buy a $100 ship DLC, but that ship is now worth $2,000 on CIG's store! I've made 1,900% profit on my investment! It's $30 on the grey market, but that'll pick up on release. I'm going to invest all my savings in these ships while they're cheap."

thats why they lost their poo poo when they sold super hornets for like ten bucks cheaper that one time.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Enchanted Hat posted:

They'd have to be careful, however. Price goes up too much and more money will get funneled into the weird gray market that seems to exist instead of into CIG's hands. People will buy multiple ships early and resell for a profit on the gray market.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

They'd have to be careful, however. Price goes up too much and more money will get funneled into the weird gray market that seems to exist instead of into CIG's hands. People will buy multiple ships early and resell for a profit on the gray market.

And this would be bad for them in any way shape or form because...

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Those 'accidental' deletions of controversial topics used to happen pretty often on the RSI forums too. That was their default fallback story when someone noticed it got deleted.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey remember when CIG banned a victim of sexual harrassment because of imaginary pretend scam spaceships

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

HycoCam posted:

Another angle--someone has an account creation tool. The first notion of an account creator being involved came back in the buy an AMD card get a voucher for Star Citizen days. There was a constant availability of AMD vouchers for a few years in the early days. There was speculation someone at AMD or a clever hacker was generating lots and lots of accounts. But of course the simplest solution is normally the right one--so someone from CIG marketing could very well be the person generating the accounts. Fast forward to the latest scam and it makes you scratch your head. If someone is simply generating random accounts for free the referral fee is pure profit. Plus there aren't any worries of getting arrested for legit credit card fraud.

Here's the scam as I understand it:

1) Advertise that you will give X referrals for ~50% of the price of the accounts, i.e. 10 for $200.

2) Wait until someone sends you the cash. Now buy the accounts with their money plus a bit of your own. Use the person's referral code, they've got what they paid for.

3) You now own 10 accounts that you got at essentially half price. Sell them off at 70-80% normal price on the grey market, or convert to RSI cash and sell that off. This is where you begin to profit.

4) Extra scam step- refund your accounts.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Here's the scam as I understand it:

1) Advertise that you will give X referrals for ~50% of the price of the accounts, i.e. 10 for $200.

2) Wait until someone sends you the cash. Now buy the accounts with their money plus a bit of your own. Use the person's referral code, they've got what they paid for.

3) You now own 10 accounts that you got at essentially half price. Sell them off at 70-80% normal price on the grey market, or convert to RSI cash and sell that off. This is where you begin to profit.

4) Extra scam step- refund your accounts.

It's brilliant. Besides the existing Grey market, this is yet another reason why this scam of a project keeps financially afloat while not having a loving game developed after 6 years and $147m.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

:lol:

Lets hope CIG never just refactor and rape gamers for money (said at the moment $147 mill went *poof*).

SC will definitely be worked on for another 10 years, easily, but it won't get to beta for at least another 15. :D

Who are these people? Why are they so funny? Why are they completely bankrupt of all common sense and logic?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

trucutru posted:

And this would be bad for them in any way shape or form because...

Money in the gray market doesn't go to CIG. I'd think that CIG would actually want to discount ships to keep the backers giving CIG the money. And in fact, isn't that what this warbonded poo poo I see them doing? Just spitballing here.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Best part: My user on the ED Forums is also Risc1911. How he came up with me being this psyron guy i don't know.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I am also a legit diagnosed lawyer, post your emails in the thread and I'll prove it by mailing you from my @lawyer.ru address

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Risc1911 posted:

Best part: My user on the ED Forums is also Risc1911. How he came up with me being this psyron guy i don't know.

he's an idiot.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

10 year ban incoming

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I am also a legit diagnosed lawyer, post your emails in the thread and I'll prove it by mailing you from my @lawyer.ru address

As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

What do you think of the new space kitten? I think I asked before but you must have missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Money in the gray market doesn't go to CIG. I'd think that CIG would actually want to discount ships to keep the backers giving CIG the money. And in fact, isn't that what this warbonded poo poo I see them doing? Just spitballing here.

Dude, if you think that a good share of the gray market is not CIG itself (via streamers or employees getting free ships) then I have an Idris to sell you.

And CIG want to *increase* the price of the ships to keep the backers giving them money. The "discounts" are on stuff that went up in price. You're still paying more than before, but thanks to the discount you can do it with cash.

You don't seem like a really good lawyer, we are supposed to be able to see behind the bullshit. Around here the judge would just gasp in polite exasperation before ignoring you. Well, that may be an exaggeration, but nobody would invite you to Starbucks.

Anyways, you may want to have one of these to play SC properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubk3dvOdYzg&t=175s