Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

My comic books are gonna regain their value sooner or later, these things are cyclical you know.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a massive rush to purchase an issue of X-Men because the artist had snuck in references (IIRC) protesting the election of a Christian governor in largely Muslim Indonesia.

Nobody has learned anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just lol if you're investing for retirement instead of dying of stress and/or alcoholism by 55.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'm glad we're all freaked out about how we're transitioning into adulthood and OK with it. I thought it was just me.

My old boss has a giant collection of Beanie Babies. Her and her sister bought them all during the craze and beyond. Her sister died and said "the only good thing is she died thinking our Beanie Babies were going to make us rich".

Early last year I realized that I had never owned a bedroom set and in fact all of my furniture was a mishmash of poo poo that I bought 10 or more years ago. I chucked nearly all of it and got all new, coordinated stuff. Hardcore adult poo poo, but it's like...OK, I'm excited about a bedroom set. This is what does it for me now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm going to raise my mower deck this weekend and start mowing much higher for a fuller, prettier lawn.

Come at me

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm going to raise my mower deck this weekend and start mowing much higher for a fuller, prettier lawn.

Come at me

lawn strats

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Quiet Feet posted:

Just lol if you're investing for retirement instead of dying of stress and/or alcoholism by 55.

lol if you haven't had a full on career crisis at 26, just lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'm glad we're all freaked out about how we're transitioning into adulthood and OK with it. I thought it was just me.

I was managing my options for my retirement portfolio one day and was like "Oh gently caress, I'm here"

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm just over here drinking white wine in the sun.

What a beautiful day.

:dance:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was managing my options for my retirement portfolio one day and was like "Oh gently caress, I'm here"

Vanguard index fund (VFIAX), set it and forget it until 59 at the earliest.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Come at me

My lawn is covered in moss, and seriously needs some better drainage to grow more grass and be less of a swamp. I don't know a ton about lawns but this problem caught me off guard, considering my house is literally built on a hill (the exterior ground level drops 15 feet between the front and the back of the house) I didn't think drainage would be such an issue but here we are; hazard of PacNW living. That'll be a project for next year though, this year I just aerated and fertilized the lawn to build it up a bit first, plus putting in a fence is the current landscaping project.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, that's where I have a healthy chunk of my IRA money. Get 10k in there for that 0.05% expense ratio.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

A Man and his dog posted:

lol just lol if you didn't spend $500 on a nice mattress for you're dog.

Uh, sure, and not 10x that

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
lol if your mid-20s aren't marked with suffering severe distress over faking competence

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

for the longest time i looked at comic book nerds proclaiming that guardians of the galaxy was the next big thing with a smirk and an eyeroll

Heh, get back to me when telltale games makes a heartstopping, gutwrenching tour de force of a story with the property

they have done it, guardians of the galaxy: a telltale series is released and has quickly proven itself to not only continue the flawless run of art by the fantastic game studio, but better written, more emotional and more action packed than the movies have ever proved to be. I only hope that other moviegoers discover the majesty that is the telltale games,experience

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

This guy gets it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

corn on the cop posted:

lol if your mid-20s aren't marked with suffering severe distress over faking competence

I have learned that no one knows what they are doing and that was very freeing for me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Silly Burrito posted:

Will have to look into it.

Right now doing that TIAA-Cref with my university benefits

Ehud posted:

I have learned that no one knows what they are doing and that was very freeing for me

I learned in my early 20s that if you wear a suit every day to work even if you don't need to, people assume you know what you are doing

Hasn't failed me since

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I learned in my early 20s that if you wear a suit every day to work even if you don't need to, people assume you know what you are doing

Hasn't failed me since

My suspicion of you dressing up like the penguin everyday grows

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

My suspicion of you dressing up like the penguin everyday grows

Nah the top hat would be just a bit too garish

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Mel's internet rap career unearthed

https://youtu.be/Cyzb-diZ3Ds

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hasn't failed me since

another trick for fooling people at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8PzhNuh7w

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

another trick for fooling people at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8PzhNuh7w

*takes notes*

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

”Work smarter, not harder” was some good rear end advice I got early on

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
gently caress bronchial infections

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

TIAA Cref is awful

Long-Term Investing and Retirement Savings: Edward Jones is a ripoff just do what this thread says to do

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am not getting investment advice from the forums thanks

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just imagine how much goons sperg over various things...You don't think we've considered what the best options are to make sure we have money to buy useless crap when we're​ old?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Your loss. Most "investment advisors" are predatory outfits scamming people for high fees. The goons in BFC are serious business and their advice in that thread is gold.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

Just imagine how much goons sperg over various things...You don't think we've considered what the best options are to make sure we have money to buy useless crap when we're​ old?

It's more that I don't trust the nature of forums culture to be sufficiently self critical

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is at least worth skimming the reading list. Everything the goons in that thread recommends is well-sourced.

If you do decide to take the advice of someone being paid to advise you, your first question should be about "fiduciary duty" and understand that even a fiduciary only has to pick investments they consider "suitable" and the suitability standard is extremely lax.

Don't pay loads, don't pay high fees, know what the ER is of your fund investments, and then you'll wind up with Vanguard or Fidelity low-cost index mutual funds which is what the thread recommends anyway.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

It is at least worth skimming the reading list. Everything the goons in that thread recommends is well-sourced.

If you do decide to take the advice of someone being paid to advise you, your first question should be about "fiduciary duty" and understand that even a fiduciary only has to pick investments they consider "suitable" and the suitability standard is extremely lax.

Don't pay loads, don't pay high fees, know what the ER is of your fund investments, and then you'll wind up with Vanguard or Fidelity low-cost index mutual funds which is what the thread recommends anyway.

I appreciate the concern but you are pop tarting a bit here.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Leperflesh, join discord so I can yell at you for stealing my awkward effort posting gimmick: https://discord.gg/9zBnAyT

This is my last plug for discord because constant plugging is obnoxious.

How about those Dolphins!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I told my investor advisor: gently caress it go all in on medium to high risk investments.

Just don't loving invest in something called juicero or whatever.

Jesus Christ.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I appreciate the concern but you are pop tarting a bit here.

OK fair enough. Good luck anyway. :)

Probably Magic posted:

Leperflesh, join discord so I can yell at you for stealing my awkward effort posting gimmick: https://discord.gg/9zBnAyT

This is my last plug for discord because constant plugging is obnoxious.

How about those Dolphins!

I'm doing Trivia all weekend, sorry.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, now, nothing is more trivial than posting in an IRC knock-off.

Also, good luck.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

A Man and his dog posted:

I told my investor advisor: gently caress it go all in on medium to high risk investments.

Just don't loving invest in something called juicero or whatever.

Jesus Christ.

I wonder if Lowtax sells shares in Something Awful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Hey, now, nothing is more trivial than posting in an IRC knock-off.

Also, good luck.

join us
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812609

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I have a board game night in an hour, but thanks for the invite.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
BT let me back into the cord....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Have some loving self-respect.

• Locked thread